OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Based on what Lego's been doing recently, I think that we can all anticipate a television show to accompany the books.

I honestly wouldn't want them to be directly connected though. The TV show is likely going to be pretty kiddish. Plus the details it includes are more restricted. I'd like the books to show the more serious/descriptive part of Bionicle 2015 and be more intimate with the plot. TV shows again are limited and cannot delve into the smaller parts of the plot.
I would like the books to tell different stories than the TV series, since direct adaptations tend to be fairly boring. But I hope that the books and TV series will have the same tone and a similar level of detail.

Frankly, there are a lot of individual Ninjago books and TV episodes with more character development than most individual BIONICLE books, so I can't really take concerns about them being too "kiddish" or lacking detail very seriously. If Ninjago is "kiddish", then evidently a lot of the BIONICLE storyline was evidently not kiddish enough, because I have a hard time seeing how BIONICLE was considerably improved by its grim, serious attitude, convoluted storytelling, and other pretensions. Some of my favorite BIONICLE storylines remain the ones from the Mata Nui Online Game and the first BIONICLE movie, because their characters felt genuinely lovable and their stories fun and adventurous. There was real danger, but it was presented in an approachable and kid-friendly manner.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

Some of my favorite BIONICLE storylines remain the ones from the Mata Nui Online Game and the first BIONICLE movie, because their characters felt genuinely lovable and their stories fun and adventurous. There was real danger, but it was presented in an approachable and kid-friendly manner.

I get MNOG, but the first Bionicle movie? You didn't think B2 felt the same?

Personally, I enjoyed the characters in the second film a lot more, especially as it was more Toa-focused and as goofy as the Dark Hunters and the Vahki were, they were better than the Rahkshi were presented in that movie. I felt the emotional beats were done much better here, too, such as Lihkan's death and the Toa finally coming together at the end (before the 1v1 face off). Makuta was better done here, too.

TAK

• Upvote 3

[MNOLG The Movie Website]

rsz_1onua1024.png
Need to start a poll? Or start a topic in Games & Trivia? PM me!

Some of my favorite BIONICLE storylines remain the ones from the Mata Nui Online Game and the first BIONICLE movie, because their characters felt genuinely lovable and their stories fun and adventurous. There was real danger, but it was presented in an approachable and kid-friendly manner.

Personally, I enjoyed the characters in the second film a lot more, especially as it was more Toa-focused and as goofy as the Dark Hunters and the Vahki were, they were better than the Rahkshi were presented in that movie. I felt the emotional beats were done much better here, too, such as Lihkan's death and the Toa finally coming together at the end (before the 1v1 face off). Makuta was better done here, too.

TAK

BIONICLE 2 was good, and had amazing character development, but I don't consider it quite as good as the first movie because it doesn't work quite so well as a stand-alone story. There is no mention of Makuta leading up to his dramatic reveal towards the end, nor any hints at how he was "sworn to protect the Matoran", so that part felt a bit out-of-nowhere with or without prior knowledge of the character. I suppose I had no issues with the tone or characterization, but that's my reason for preferring Mask of Light.

Nidhiki and Krekka were indeed better villains than the Rahkshi by far (in fact, the way their characterization allows them to act as both a legitimate threat and comic relief is very similar to Nuckal and Kruncha in the original Ninjago TV special), and Lhikan's death was treated with appropriate gravitas without pushing the storyline into grimdark territory.

TAK

BIONICLE 2 was good, and had amazing character development, but I don't consider it quite as good as the first movie because it doesn't work quite so well as a stand-alone story. There is no mention of Makuta leading up to his dramatic reveal towards the end, nor any hints at how he was "sworn to protect the Matoran", so that part felt a bit out-of-nowhere with or without prior knowledge of the character. I suppose I had no issues with the tone or characterization, but that's my reason for preferring Mask of Light.

Nidhiki and Krekka were indeed better villains than the Rahkshi by far (in fact, the way their characterization allows them to act as both a legitimate threat and comic relief is very similar to Nuckal and Kruncha in the original Ninjago TV special), and Lhikan's death was treated with appropriate gravitas without pushing the storyline into grimdark territory.

I understand much better now your reasons for your preferred film. MoL is good as a stand-alone. I just had some issues with it not that far different that what you and I have probably already heard throughout these years since its release. Otherwise, you hit the nail on the head for LoMN being my preferred film.

If Bionicle does get a tv show, I'd assume it would be more akin to The Legend Reborn from Tinsletown Toons. Which, I think, really wouldn't be a bad thing, but after the first trilogy of films from Miramax, the "play-it-safe" plot and asethics, it pales a bit. And that's coming from someone who really isn't a fan of the Bionicle films in general (despite what I've said above). I can't comment on Ninjago or Hero Factory as I checked out of Lego completely once Bionicle was completely over with.

P.S. Michael Dron=Mata Nui is the best casting descion of all the films. Just sayin. ;)

TAK

• Upvote 1

rsz_1onua1024.png

cE9rDPS.png

The existence of books has been confirmed.

I'm glad we'll be getting some books next year, but I wonder how many we will get? 

I hope it is at least three. I think that would be a reasonable number of books for Bionicle's first year back.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I forget the name of the guy that voiced the 4-minute retrospective and the commercials, but we need him back. I still go around saying "New, from Lego Bionicle!" when I'm bored.

That man was a legend.

Anyway, I think a TV show would be fine, as long as it's not a TV version of the books. Or if it's really bad and gives Bionicle a bad reputation.

• Upvote 1

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people, people he's never met before and who don't know his name, can live." -Hahli

All I say is...

The Bionicle TV show must be as good as Ninjago. Ninjago is the pinnacle of Lego TV shows. So that means Bionicle needs:

1. An awesome main medley

2. Good voice actors. And not voices which sound kind of echoey like Takanuva's.

3. A plot which is good enough to be exciting and to appeal to older fans, whilst also being accessible to kids and having some cheesy jokes.

4. In a Bionicle TV show, romance would probably have to be brought back, to add to some characterisation. Some Macku/Hewkii flirting would probably go down a storm with nearly everyone on BZP. :P

[Edit] Just watched Creeps From the Deep, and the narrator is called Tony Wedgewood, I believe.

Edited by Makuta Miras
  • Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

Based on what Lego's been doing recently, I think that we can all anticipate a television show to accompany the books. 

I honestly wouldn't want them to be directly connected though. The TV show is likely going to be pretty kiddish. Plus the details it includes are more restricted. I'd like the books to show the more serious/descriptive part of Bionicle 2015 and be more intimate with the plot. TV shows again are limited and cannot delve into the smaller parts of the plot.

If there is a TV show, then I have no doubt said show will be the primary canon. One of the biggest problems with the Bionicle books over the years was their inaccessibility—only kids who bought the books would really get the majority of the story. The comics helped to slightly allay this (by basically recapping the most important plot points of the books and coming free with every free subscription to Lego magazine), but the execution was still less than ideal. But it was all that could be done—the comics could not cover the full story of each year of Bionicle, and the movies were released irregularly, with a three-year gap between Bionicle 3 and The Legend Reborn. The books were the most thorough and consistent means of conveying the main story, even if they were never bought by the majority of fans and sold fewer copies each year.

A TV series, on the other hand, is plenty long enough to tell a complete story gradually over the course of a year. And what's more, it's a MUCH more effective one. Even in an era where TV is losing ground to the internet, TV remains one of the easiest and most successful ways to reach kids. Ninjago and Chima's TV presence is undoubtedly a large contributor to those themes' successes. As such, it would be illogical of Lego to restrict the main canon of Bionicle to a less successful medium.

I do think the books would be better off telling separate stories from those the TV series tells, but that's because original stories will be more popular and will better justify the additional media to collect and follow. Ninjago and Hero Factory both showed that they could use books to tell new stories with the same characters that didn't have to be redundant. I hope the new Bionicle follows that example.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

cE9rDPS.png

The existence of books has been confirmed.

I'm glad we'll be getting some books next year, but I wonder how many we will get? 

I hope it is at least three. I think that would be a reasonable number of books for Bionicle's first year back.

Shoot, I'd be happy with one really thick book. A big book for the first year wouldn't hurt, I think. Maybe two at least for each half of the story/year.

I forget the name of the guy that voiced the 4-minute retrospective and the commercials, but we need him back. I still go around saying "New, from Lego Bionicle!" when I'm bored.

Tony Wedgewood is the man. I hope he returns, too.

TAK

rsz_1onua1024.png

Actually, I have a theory why we haven't received news about the matoran.

I call it:

The return if the Mctoran.

Think about it.

Original bionicle had no matoran originally (I think), just Turaga and Toa.

Here, we have Toa and "defenders". No Matoran in sight.

So, where do the Matoran come in? McDonalds.

They worked well Tue first time, why not a second time for the Mctoran? And since the plots are basically the same (firstly finding masks and fighting Rahi, then Bohrok, then finally finding legendary mask), it would technically work. I think.

Man, that looked so much better in my head. :|

• Upvote 1

I call it:

Think about it.

They worked well Tue first time, why not a second time for the Mctoran? And since the plots are basically the same (firstly finding masks and fighting Rahi, then Bohrok, then finally finding legendary mask), it would technically work. I think.

Well, we have no idea how similar the plots are, all we know is that the Mask of Creation will play some role in the story. Not sure what you mean by defenders, if it is from the leak, then you shouldn't make speculations based on that.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I call it:

Think about it.

The issue with that theory is that McDonalds has not included actual Lego building toys in Happy Meals for many years, because when they do they get complaints from parents when the kids have trouble putting them together. It sucks, but McDonalds prefers to include toys which are complete from the moment they're opened, and I can't imagine any reason that might have changed.

Besides, the ambiguously-named small sets you mentioned, which you probably shouldn't mention seeing as it hasn't been revealed through any official sources, more likely than not already fill a similar role to Matoran, Turaga, and Agori. In fact, they might very well BE Matoran, and we haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Just wanted to throw my two cents out there.

A continuation is possible even if Artakha isn't wearing the MoC. The last time we've seen him, is when he was in the tower with the Cursed Great Being. And last we've heard, Velika was going to rig that structure to blows, which would kill everyone in the tower. Therefore, Artakha would be dead, Mask of Creation has no bearer. BIONICLE 2015, boo reboot, I love continuation. 

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

A continuation is possible even if Artakha isn't wearing the MoC. The last time we've seen him, is when he was in the tower with the Cursed Great Being. And last we've heard, Velika was going to rig that structure to blows, which would kill everyone in the tower. Therefore, Artakha would be dead, Mask of Creation has no bearer. BIONICLE 2015, boo reboot, I love continuation. 

Yes, but if it killed everyone in there, why would Lego release a set of the dead Toa Lewa? 

bZpOwEr

Lewa was dragged off by members of the Jungle Tribe, remember...

Edited by Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Hello, I'm SuperGeniusCreator.:P Check this out:

Bionicle-2015-mask.png

Compare this mask to this minifigure from the Hobbit 79015 Witch-king Battle set:

Witch_King_79015.png

Looks like this guy is wearing kini-nui on his head, too! :P I wonder how many other minifigs have spikes like that on their heads... Darth Maul, perhaps?:P

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Yes, but if it killed everyone in there, why would Lego release a set of the dead Toa Lewa? 

Actually Lewa was dragged off by nature-loving Agori.

EDIT: The first time I've ever been ninjaed. o: I feel so touched. :')

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

No, Greg first said it was a plant/jungle tribe.

Then I asked what he meant by that. If it was like a subsidiary of the Jungle Tribe or something since he said plant/jungle. He said it was the Jungle Tribe. 

Huh. Weird. Anyway, I highly doubt that has any bearings on this story. Regardless of reboot or timeskip continuation, we're certainly not revisiting ancient plot threads like that, so any ties with the word "jungle" like that are like someone who just bought a soda at McDonalds: grasping at straws.

Hey, you never know. ;)

Reboot or not, I don't expect them to revisit the events of the line's last run, either. But I've been wrong before.

Stuff like this is going to make the wait for the 9th all the more slow.

Woah! Hopefully Faber is involved, he's someone I'd consider essential, like Greg.

TAK

Edited by Toa TAK
  • Upvote 5

rsz_1onua1024.png

Huh. Weird. Anyway, I highly doubt that has any bearings on this story. Regardless of reboot or timeskip continuation, we're certainly not revisiting ancient plot threads like that, so any ties with the word "jungle" like that are like someone who just bought a soda at McDonalds: grasping at straws.

I don't get your analogy..

Do you think the new BIONICLEs will have the nostalgic feel that everyone is hyped about? I liked BIONICLE because of the unique builds of each figures, and I felt HF kind of went very generic with a lot of their characters, mainly the Heroes themselves. The Villains were pretty good in variety. Also, I wonder if they'll keep the releases like the original BIONICLEs, with 6 sets of the same size, and then larger box sets, and maybe Matoran sets. HF had big and small bags mixed together and I got confused :P

Sl3ePl8.png

This makes me much more confident that 2015 will be excellent.

Well... hopefully this means we can expect a storyline that features a huge plot twist that will be revealed years from now like the giant robot twist. Not sure what surprise can be bigger than that, though. :P

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Greg says that a TV show or Movie is possible if the sets sell well.

I don't get your analogy..

it was a play on words

if you get a soda at mcdonalds, at least inside the store, you have to get your own straw

so you grasp at straws

which is another way of saying "looking for evidence where there is none"

i thought it was kinda clever

• Upvote 1

You know what really bugs me about the CCBS: Not one set since Raanu, Tarduk, and Berix has been without black and silver, and no set since the Stars has lacked Black.  It lacks the clean color scheme of those sets.  I wish Lego would change that, and the return of Bionicle would be a good way to go about it.

(And before anyone brings them up, yes, I've seen the leaked images)

Edited by Willess12

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Faber and Wedgewood need to return indeed. 

Pretty stoked that we are pretty much confirmed to be getting books back as well. :) I just bought the Mata Nui Bara Magna guide and Makuta MU guide so it's kind of weird timing considering that those were some of the last Bionicle books. 

And a tv show could have potential to be quite awesome!!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

The only canister sets ever that lacked both black and silver as significant portions were Avak, Zaktan, Hakann, Hahli Inika and Jaller Inika. Every other has had one or both of those colors to some degree. I don't see any reason to expect those colors to disappear.

• Upvote 3

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

I don't care how old I am, if a Bionicle TV Show came out I would watch it religiously!

My only gripe with Bionicle sets came later, specifially with Toa Mahri Kongu and Toa Phantoka Kopaka, and I can sort of forgive Toa Metru Vakama.

The idea of giving the later sets ranged weapons (Zamor Launchers, for example) was alright, but I strongly disliked the idea of not giving Kongu Mahri a weapon and instead giving him two blasters (don't know the names, sorry).  And then Kopaka, giving him a launcher and putting a small ice spike on it, that was something I greatly disagreed with.  I'd have much rather seen him with his shield: a staple of his character.

I just hope 2015+ Bionicles will be given at least one personal weapon alongside their ranged weapon.

"Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero."

-Toa Kopaka Nuva

I call it:

Think about it.

The issue with that theory is that McDonalds has not included actual Lego building toys in Happy Meals for many years, because when they do they get complaints from parents when the kids have trouble putting them together. It sucks, but McDonalds prefers to include toys which are complete from the moment they're opened, and I can't imagine any reason that might have changed.

Are you serious? How can there have been kids who couldn't put the Mctoran together? The picture is right on the package, and all of the pieces were highly specialized as arms, legs, bodies and heads.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015