OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I worry a bit about the rumor that two other summer sets were planned but got cancelled—less because of the loss of two more sets (other themes are going to strain my budget as it is) and more because it might be indicative that Bionicle 2015 has not met initial sales expectations. Failing to meet expectations is not a death sentence for a theme—Chima didn't meet its lofty sales goals yet it still lasted a good three years. But if sets are indeed getting cancelled this early in the theme's run, it makes me worry for its future. Hopefully that rumor is just wild speculation and doesn't amount to anything more.

It might be a response to the fact that there's only five new sets being released. I doubt there's any truth behind that, but I have been wrong in the past. 

I'm sorta glad if that's true. It means we get two less sets that might've been clones.

But it also means that there's two less sets that might have have unique builds. 

And it might also mean two less sets that could have included marbled Tahu & Gali masks. That better just be crazy speculation. And if there were 2 sets that were cancelled, I would guess that it would be because those two sets weren't good enough to pass the Lego standards. (Like the Ninjago Serpentine Train, which was a set that never got past the early design stage because it didn't meet the standards or something.)

500px-SnakeTrain.jpg

EDIT: Nevermind, Aanchir has corrected me. That train was only an example of how to snakify any set by Mark Stafford.

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Is there any source for that? (Canceling two summer sets.)

Last I heard, it was mentioned second-hand from a comment on Eurobricks. I imagine someone was speculating on why there are two missing marbled masks, and it was misinterpreted as a fact.

• Upvote 2

IetTsFQ.png

So today I built a model using Skull Basher's function, and I have to say it's amazing. The proportions are a little iffy but the function works like a charm—frankly, a character with that type of build doesn't even need weapons because smashing their fists together is fun enough on its own.

I worry a bit about the rumor that two other summer sets were planned but got cancelled—less because of the loss of two more sets (other themes are going to strain my budget as it is) and more because it might be indicative that Bionicle 2015 has not met initial sales expectations. Failing to meet expectations is not a death sentence for a theme—Chima didn't meet its lofty sales goals yet it still lasted a good three years. But if sets are indeed getting cancelled this early in the theme's run, it makes me worry for its future. Hopefully that rumor is just wild speculation and doesn't amount to anything more.

That rumor would also perfectly coincide with the lack of Tahu and Gali as transparent masks. It would also make a lot of sense, 6 new bad guys and one special set would be equal to the six new toa and the LoSS.

I have bought Pohatu and he is awesome.

What a coincidence; I just bought Pohatu and he is as bland as a butter sandwich.

I like butter sandwiches. :P

Well, something being bland doesn't preclude it being enjoyable. I don't actively dislike Pohatu like I do Lewa, because there are many things he does well (like having a mask with immediate resemblance to the original) that Lewa does not. However, he also doesn't have many defining features like the other Toa do. I suppose it makes him unique among them that he is so bland, but that feels like reaching for rationalization.

Doesn't help that that blandness is shown in his pathetic piece count.

• Upvote 1

It might be a response to the fact that there's only five new sets being released. I doubt there's any truth behind that, but I have been wrong in the past. 

I'm sorta glad if that's true. It means we get two less sets that might've been clones.

But it also means that there's two less sets that might have have unique builds.

And it might also mean two less sets that could have included marbled Tahu & Gali masks. That better just be crazy speculation. And if there were 2 sets that were cancelled, I would guess that it would be because those two sets weren't good enough to pass the Lego standards. (Like the Ninjago Serpentine Train, which was a set that never got past the early design stage because it didn't meet the standards or something.)

500px-SnakeTrain.jpg

The Serpentine Train was never intended to become a set. It was simply a MOC by Mark Stafford showing just how you could "snakify" any type of vehicle (in this case, the Emerald Night).

Likewise, the idea that two summer 2015 BIONICLE sets were cancelled is probably complete bunk. Back before the first wave of sets was even released, a leaked document from a LEGO store (mostly just guidelines on how to respond to frequently asked questions like "what is the BIONICLE story" or "why was BIONICLE cancelled" or "why did you bring BIONICLE back") confirmed that there were only going to be five sets for the summer.

• Upvote 2

I just wish that Pohatu had more brown. I mean, I'll take what I can get, but... it's not very much regardless. :P

I wish that too. Its even sadder when you realize that the Protector of Stone comes with the same number of brown pieces as well. (Including the brown piece on his staff) One would think that Pohatu would at least have a couple more brown pieces than his Protector, but like you said, we take what we can get. :P

• Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I have bought Pohatu and he is awesome.

What a coincidence; I just bought Pohatu and he is as bland as a butter sandwich.

I like butter sandwiches. :P

Well, something being bland doesn't preclude it being enjoyable. I don't actively dislike Pohatu like I do Lewa, because there are many things he does well (like having a mask with immediate resemblance to the original) that Lewa does not. However, he also doesn't have many defining features like the other Toa do. I suppose it makes him unique among them that he is so bland, but that feels like reaching for rationalization.

Doesn't help that that blandness is shown in his pathetic piece count.

Being "bland" sort of does make something unenjoyable, by definition.  Unless someone really, really enjoys uninteresting things.

Pohatu is definitely the plainest of the Toa, that much I'll agree with, but I feel like that works for him.  He doesn't have any extra frills or additional armor about him, which I feel fits his role as tough and fast.

Also, I don't think his piece count is particularly "pathetic" either.  The only big difference between him and Gali, build-wise, is Gali's extra shoulder pads.  The biggest discrepancy in piece count comes from the fact that Pohatu has weapons made of 9 pieces while Gali has a weapon made of 22 pieces.

• Upvote 6

OpAXNpl.jpg

I don't actively dislike Pohatu like I do Lewa, because there are many things he does well (like having a mask with immediate resemblance to the original) that Lewa does not.

Whaaaaat. Lewa's mask has a great resemblance to the classic Miru. Even with the shape changed significantly, it maintains the Miru's (and Lewa's) most defining feature—specifically, that devilish grin. Seeing as that feature is the one that's most tied to Lewa's personality, I think it's a fantastic update of his mask.

As for overall impressions on him and Pohatu? Lewa's great—long, lanky, and bursting with personality. Literally the only fault I can find with him is his neck being unable to look upward, and seeing as that doesn't stop him looking side-to-side or pulling off tons of fantastic poses, I'd hardly call that a deal-breaker. Pohatu is a bit plainer, but I wouldn't call him "bland" by any stretch. His runner's physique, unique color scheme and color layout, and fantastic weapons all work to his advantage.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

500px-SnakeTrain.jpg

The Serpentine Train was never intended to become a set. It was simply a MOC by Mark Stafford showing just how you could "snakify" any type of vehicle (in this case, the Emerald Night).

Likewise, the idea that two summer 2015 BIONICLE sets were cancelled is probably complete bunk. Back before the first wave of sets was even released, a leaked document from a LEGO store (mostly just guidelines on how to respond to frequently asked questions like "what is the BIONICLE story" or "why was BIONICLE cancelled" or "why did you bring BIONICLE back") confirmed that there were only going to be five sets for the summer.

Oh yeah, I remember that document. I really hope marbled Tahu & Gali masks show up somewhere. (Just imagine, they could show up as SDCC or NYCC exclusives and drive all the collectors nuts. :P )

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I don't actively dislike Pohatu like I do Lewa, because there are many things he does well (like having a mask with immediate resemblance to the original) that Lewa does not.

Whaaaaat. Lewa's mask has a great resemblance to the classic Miru. Even with the shape changed significantly, it maintains the Miru's (and Lewa's) most defining feature—specifically, that devilish grin. Seeing as that feature is the one that's most tied to Lewa's personality, I think it's a fantastic update of his mask.

As for overall impressions on him and Pohatu? Lewa's great—long, lanky, and bursting with personality. Literally the only fault I can find with him is his neck being unable to look upward, and seeing as that doesn't stop him looking side-to-side or pulling off tons of fantastic poses, I'd hardly call that a deal-breaker. Pohatu is a bit plainer, but I wouldn't call him "bland" by any stretch. His runner's physique, unique color scheme and color layout, and fantastic weapons all work to his advantage.

I don't see how a mask can have "great resemblance" and be "changed significantly"; to me, the two rarely intersect. I can hardly see the Miru in Lewa's new mask. The toned-down grin isn't enough, especially as so many extra details (like the pointless overdetailing of the face) have been added, interrupting its silhouette and reducing resemblance.

Kopaka, Onua, Pohatu, and to a lesser extent Tahu all did a great job of preserving all the most defining features of the original mask; while by no means complete copies, each is immediately recognizable as the original. (Tahu's box pose does a terrible job of showing it, though.) That's where Lewa's falls flat to me. I shouldn't need to cherry pick features that look like the original mask to find a resemblance; I should be able to look at it and immediately think "that's Lewa. That's the mask I know".  And it just doesn't do that for me.

(I'm also still salty about the switch to Bright Green because I honestly don't see the point; it's not like Dark Green is terribly dark and lacking in vividity.)

As for Pohatu, what I mean by blandness is that, after building four different Toa who each brought something new to the table, Pohatu didn't. Building him was boring. I feel like they could have done something to make him stand out without detracting from his less-armored look, but as he is now, I just find him incredibly boring.

(plus no tan? boooooooo)

• Upvote 3

And it might also mean two less sets that could have included marbled Tahu & Gali masks. That better just be crazy speculation. And if there were 2 sets that were cancelled, I would guess that it would be because those two sets weren't good enough to pass the Lego standards. (Like the Ninjago Serpentine Train, which was a set that never got past the early design stage because it didn't meet the standards or something.)500px-SnakeTrain.jpg

Oh yeah, I remember that document. I really hope marbled Tahu & Gali masks show up somewhere. (Just imagine, they could show up as SDCC or NYCC exclusives and drive all the collectors nuts. :P )

Thinking ahead of ourselves, but don't rule our dec. 2016 sets.

cringe

And it might also mean two less sets that could have included marbled Tahu & Gali masks. That better just be crazy speculation. And if there were 2 sets that were cancelled, I would guess that it would be because those two sets weren't good enough to pass the Lego standards. (Like the Ninjago Serpentine Train, which was a set that never got past the early design stage because it didn't meet the standards or something.)500px-SnakeTrain.jpg

I hope that doesn't mean that we'll be getting the same characters for a few more years...cough Hero Factory cough

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I hope that doesn't mean that we'll be getting the same characters for a few more years...cough Hero Factory cough

Actually I'm almost certain that that's exactly what will happen. At least until 2018.

• Upvote 1

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Skull Warrior and Skull BAsher look the coolest to me aside from Grinder. Also, I hate that Ekimu has the same Protector mask. Why couldn't they give him his own special mask?

You mean like the Mask of Creation? Yeah, too bad they didn't include that in the set.

It makes sense that he would be wearing the Protector mask he was buried in, since that was how he was when last seen. Canonically, it's the most common mask shape on the island, so if the Protectors were looking for a ceremonial mask to put on his face, it would probably be the shape of pretty much every other mask on the island.

That said, he would probably look far more distinctive wearing his signature mask, and I can't wait to see some pictures of it on him.

I like how you assume I missed the fact that it was already in the set on purpose. I KNOW it's in the set. I wanted him to have his OWN mask. 

You want sarcasm milk with your cookie?

The whole point of the set is that he's fighting back for his own mask. Why would you also not want the protector mask in that slick color set, too?

Because it's the same? Just like the Skull Spiders. WHY do we need TWO same color Skull Spiders in the Master and Protector sets? 

It's not the same? It's a new color mix. You know, giving us a mask in seven different color mixes. We haven't seen that much variety in mask colors since they stopped making mask packs. What would you want instead? You'd want them to only include the Mask of Creation, without throwing in a unique recolor? That would decrease the quality of the set, not increase it.

Read my comment again and rethink this post.

I wasn't talking about the Protector masks (I've gotten over that since seeing that it does matter to the story...) I was talking about the Skull Spiders and how we get two of three different colors if we get both Toa and Protector. 

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

I'd contest that all of the Toa's masks have been "changed significantly".  They don't use the same simplified look of their 2001 counterparts.  Where the 2001 masks were made of basic geometric shapes and smooth surfaces, the new masks have contours and detailing everywhere.  Even Kopaka's mask, which is probably the most similar-looking, has a completely different aesthetic, going from a basic round shape to something that looks comparatively squarer.  In fact, the only thing really tying the two together is the scope piece on the right of the mask.  Pohatu's got the cheek vents, but those have also appeared on many other masks, and even some Hero Factory sets, and he's lost his giant sloping eyes.  Personally I wouldn't find it immediately recognizable as Pohatu, though I would probably think that it bears a resemblance.

e:

Why would you also not want the protector mask in that slick color set, too?

Because it's the same? […]
It's not the same? […]

This conversation chain is about Ekimu's Protector mask, which is what she's referring to.  Then you compared it to Skull Spiders.  That's a separate thing, and not what that reply was about.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

Pohatu's mask resembles his Phantoka form, although I think it looks most similar to Photok's mask. The same can be said for Lewa's I think, since it has those three peripherals along the edges, just like his Phantoka mask.

I agree that Lewa's looks the least familiar, even if there are technical similarities to its previous forms, but I'm not complaining since I really like its design.

IetTsFQ.png

I'd contest that all of the Toa's masks have been "changed significantly".  They don't use the same simplified look of their 2001 counterparts.  Where the 2001 masks were made of basic geometric shapes and smooth surfaces, the new masks have contours and detailing everywhere.  Even Kopaka's mask, which is probably the most similar-looking, has a completely different aesthetic, going from a basic round shape to something that looks comparatively squarer.  In fact, the only thing really tying the two together is the scope piece on the right of the mask.  Pohatu's got the cheek vents, but those have also appeared on many other masks, and even some Hero Factory sets, and he's lost his giant sloping eyes.  Personally I wouldn't find it immediately recognizable as Pohatu, though I would probably think that it bears a resemblance.

e:

Why would you also not want the protector mask in that slick color set, too?

Because it's the same? […]
It's not the same? […]

This conversation chain is about Ekimu's Protector mask, which is what she's referring to.  Then you compared it to Skull Spiders.  That's a separate thing, and not what that reply was about.

But I wasn't talking about that mask. I was talking about the Skull Spiders. 

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

So am I the only one who's extremely disappointed with the Summer sets? They look like an absolute mess. They're gappy and hobbled together with just hideous colors and looks so weird and underdeveloped. I feel like everyone is so distracted by the gorgeous new gold/trans masks and the admittedly impressive Ekimu/Grinder set that they don't realize everything else just looks... really bad ._. I would be embarrassed to buy those or display them on my shelf.

• Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

They don't have the elegant simplicity of the original masks, true; I will always prefer the 2001 masks for that smooth, iconic look. However, in overall shapes and look, I've found Kopaka's, Onua's, Pohatu's, and Tahu's masks pretty much immediately recognizable. Gali's is much trickier, and Lewa's just doesn't do it for me at all.

So am I the only one who's extremely disappointed with the Summer sets? They look like an absolute mess. They're gappy and hobbled together with just hideous colors and looks so weird and underdeveloped. I feel like everyone is so distracted by the gorgeous new gold/trans masks and the admittedly impressive Ekimu/Grinder set that they don't realize everything else just looks... really bad ._. I would be embarrassed to buy those or display them on my shelf.

I don't think they look particularly bad.  Of course, I'm also reserving full judgement until we get better pictures and finalized images, because the toy fairs don't usually show the sets at their best.

(The posing is usually meh at best, and the sets aren't always assembled correctly; Tahu's shin armor is upside down, for example.)

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

I respect your opinion.

But I think these are the best looking villain sets we've gotten in a long time, and I'll be displaying them right next to the Toa/Protectors.

Edited by Chasm
  • Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I really don't think you meant it that way (because you're cool) but it's generally pretty disrespectful to say people are too blinded by x to form y (correct) opinion. Different people have different tastes, and different reasons to like or not like things. Opinions and whatnot.

Personally, I certainly agree that they're not as developed as they should be. And they're certainly far weaker sets than the winter wave, and I'm not particularly impressed with them. I don't think they're really awful sets, though. I like the color schemes for the most part. I even like the trans neon orange that all of them have, which is as surprising to me as it probably is to anyone reading this. I'm not sure why, but I do like the contrast it provides. And, although it's not perhaps the greatest effort they've made, I think they got the aesthetic they were aiming for pretty well. And frankly, I think a lot of their awkwardness is from being posed pretty badly, I'm not sure. One of these days I'm going to try building them off the photos to see how the proportions and such look and how the functions work. With a few modifications I think I'll be satisfied with them.

Anyway, whoever said Skull Slicer only has one pair of arms rigged to the gearbox was correct. And. Wow. That is terrible. It's not even the pair of arms that both wield swords. This is just baffling in its pointlessness. Easy to fix, ultimately, but wow. Slicer is not a very good set.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

I really don't think you meant it that way (because you're cool) but it's generally pretty disrespectful to say people are too blinded by x to form y (correct) opinion. Different people have different tastes, and different reasons to like or not like things. Opinions and whatnot.

Oh no, I wasn't trying to belittle anyone who likes them, I was just wondering if the masks got everyone so excited that it swayed their perspective, 'cause redeeming qualities counteract not so redeeming qualities, and all that.

Y'all have a good point about the posing and possible misleading builds, that could be it. I really hope they grow on me, 'cause right now I'm just really underwhelmed by 'em compared to the very coordinated and filled out Toa. Maybe the new bone pieces bring out a K'nex vibe that's throwing me off.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I think the reason we're getting only five sets this summer is because I think Lego want to make the wave more affordable (after all IMO affordability was one of the great things about bionicle).

It probably has something to do with the very large size of the winter wave, too. 13 is a big wave for any theme, and a 13/5 split is pretty decent, if a bit lopsided. But it does fit well with standard Lego themes, which more often than not will feature a large winter wave and a smaller summer wave. And Bionicle is getting a full 18 sets this year. In comparison, Hero Factory only got 15 in both 2013 and 2014. 

The fact that we're getting Star Wars constraction sets probably also played a part in it. With 24 sets between the two lines, this is the biggest year for constraction since 2012. (2013 had 21, and 2014 22 (except in North America, I suppose. Since we didn't get the Chima sets over here, it was just 15))

• Upvote 3

AXKP5KC.png

Lewa's mask does have a good resemblance to his original mask, but it's much more subtle and departs from the original way more than the others.

And I have to say, I completely agree with Wally on this one. I built all the toa in one sitting, starting with Pohatu. At first, I thought he looked awesome and amazing but as I built the others, I realized how lackluster Pohatu was next to them. He's not terrible- he has a cool mask and a really nice color scheme- but he doesn't measure up to the other sets. It's not a problem that he's short, but the fact that he doesn't make up for it in any way like Onua makes him seem unfinished in my eyes. Not to mention all those gaps around the shoulders with the lack of any sort of shoulder armor (Putting something, anything there could have tremendously helped the set.). And his piece count just feels unjustified. I would much rather have not gotten those newly molded boomerangs in favor of more being added to the actual figure.

Has anyone else noticed the chest prints on the new Skull villains? Slicer has an actual gear printed on to his chest plate, and all of them have bits of bone, chains and tubing printed on as well. I think this helps the aesthetic for some of the villains, especially for Grinder.

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

Frankly, if it's a choice between seeing the same Toa over and over or having the main characters step out of the spotlight every couple years to make way for a new set of main characters, I'd greatly prefer seeing the same Toa over and over.

Personally, I like most of them. That doesn't mean they're flawless. I'm not really a fan of Skull Warrior, and while Skull Scorpio has a creative function it's also a little awkward. I'm also of two minds about some of the new molds. But Skull Slicer, Basher, and Grinder all look really awesome to me and really pull off the undead look quite nicely.

• Upvote 3

Hey Lynchir, think you could post photos of the Basher build you made?

I think many of the new parts are pre-existing, so it would be easy to make if you had the pieces.

I can see that, but the photos from nuremberg don't show enough for me to get a good idea of how to build it, or how it works. I was hoping Lynchir could give us a better look.

How come Bionicle is so small in quantity compared to other Lego themes? Like Chima had dozens of sets of all sizes in its first year, and Bionicle sets are all rather small in size and price comparitively. And the only "big" set they've shown is just two normal figures together. Back in the day, Bionicle had big sets all over.

Lego kind of overdid it with Chima. They basically wanted this to be the next Bionicle, the next big thing... it didn't quite pan out.

Not to mention, proportionately few of those were constraction figures.

• Upvote 2

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Frankly, if it's a choice between seeing the same Toa over and over or having the main characters step out of the spotlight every couple years to make way for a new set of main characters, I'd greatly prefer seeing the same Toa over and over.

Really? I personally disagree. But, thinking in the long term, wouldn't it be refreshing to have new characters to come in every few years, or at least have the cast alternate between two teams? You can change the way the toa look as much as you like and put them in as many different situations as you want, but eventually people tend to want to take a break and see how someone else is doing. It would supply more cast variety. Sure, keeping one cast would give them more time for even more character development but when you look at character like the Inika, they got a lot more development as individuals in 2007 than the Nuva got in a while. Bringing in new characters allows them to be explored differently, and though themes like Ninjago show benefits of having a single cast, it's visible that even that cast had to be altered, introducing new characters like Lloyd, Garmadon and Skylor.