Comedies or Comics?

Toa Cykron

i'd be up for a comedy if the writing and concept was fun, i do adore comics though the added visual element adds another layer that needs to meet everyone's tastes, (plus comics take 100 years more time than just writing does. :u)

That's true, and I want to make sure I'm in for the long haul when I decide to start. What's the point of making the effort to begin something if I can't keep it up for long? :P

Gali.png

I think it's easier to do a comedy well because there's not that visual element. Not to mention that the sprites give a sameness to most comic series, and that's hard to overcome without long-term commitment to storytelling (like Gavla's Comics).

Of course, I assist in Comics so I'm always looking for more activity there.

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Dude, I haven't lurked in either forum for years. But way back when I first started out on BZP I really got into Comedies and that's where I cut my teeth on creative stuff. Later I moved on to comics, though I was more a fan of animations (and that's what I made).

I guess I'm up for either: whichever's more well written is where I'm at (GaliGee's comedies come to mind, for example).

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

I've attempted to make a comic series thrice now and they've all suffered from the inescapable plague of boredom, so it's no question that I prefer to write comedies more than I do making comics. 

As for reading, I'd have to say that I prefer comics, particularly sprite ones. The reason being is that I have a certain nostalgia for these things. Around the year 2009 or so, I discovered the BZPower comic forum, and so I used to spend entire afternoons reading and laughing at the sprite comics that I found. (However it was only about a year ago that I actually got around to making an account here  :P). 

In short, I like to write comedies and read comics. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

Whichever you choose, in order to make something worthwhile you will need to completely break the mold of what has been standard for over a decade in each forum. Do you have the sheer creative willpower to break those molds? Or will your works fall in line with the mass-produced content that currently reigns supreme?

• Upvote 3

Somehow, my tenure in Comics hasn't driven me crazy (probably because I was added there after the great downtime). I can't speak for the Comedies staff on that front, but I think the forum that was once Artwork III now has a special place in my heart. I haven't spent nearly as much time in (or on) the Comedies forum.

I do enjoy reading comics, and I only regret that I haven't put in the effort to learn how to make them. I suppose I could draw some by hand...

• Upvote 2

Having tried both, I prefer reading and writing comedies. :) Like Lalonde and Sumiki said, it's just easier to make something coherent and funny when you're not worrying about putting together a visual presentation, too.  And sometimes, the comic turns out less funny than you thought it would after you've already put in all the work.  :P  Bionicle gives us a huge cast of characters whose general appearances we already know, so a well thought-out comedy can pretty easily tap into a visual understanding while conveying its humor through words.

• Upvote 2