The most disturbing part of BIONICLE

Podu

Even though it is a story/series for kids, I found that BIONICLE has some quite disturbing plot sometimes.The one that disturbs me most was the fact that Bohrok are actually Av-Matoran transformed. Then I think of the Boxors Nuparu made... argh. Nuparu why did you have to do that...

99.9% of BIONICLE fans forgot about Podu. If you happen to be the 0.1% that still remember him, copy and paste this into your sig.

The alternate Tuyet being cut in half by a portal in Dark Mirror was disturbing, IMO. Another thing would be the Toa Mata arriving on Mata Nui. I remember Lewa saying that both his legs and one of his arms was detached from his body when he was released from the canister. That is kind of disturbing too.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I think the most disturbing part was when the Piraka hit the Voya matoran and made them into mindless slaves and left only six left. Not to mention how long was it before the Toa Nuva or the Toa Inika showed up? Another example would be Metru Nui when it had the visorak, sure it was so disturbing then but then we discovered that it was Mata Nui's brain. Yeah the thought that he had those crawling around in his brain (yes he had rahi in his head but those rahi were mostly from his brain visorak were not native to Metru Nui) and mutating stuff is really messed up.

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

Even though it is a story/series for kids, I found that BIONICLE has some quite disturbing plot sometimes.The one that disturbs me most was the fact that Bohrok are actually Av-Matoran transformed. Then I think of the Boxors Nuparu made... argh. Nuparu why did you have to do that...
Wait wut? I never knew this. Thats horrible yet so awesome. I think its the fact the Karzhani tortures little Matoran.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

The thing on the bohrok is weird. I mean really really werid, you nailed it on that one. Another werid and disturbing thing I found was when the Skakdi funion or golden skinned being just took the Marhi's mind away and made them sereve the Skakdi, thats a little werid.

LONG

LIVE

BIONICLE

:huna: :matatu: :mahiki: :rau: :komau: :ruru:

All things considered, Bionicle really wasn't very disturbing at all. The intentionally "disturbing" bits were pretty tame, which makes since, given that it's target audience is kids. Some of the other stuff that was meant for you to just take at face value was kind of weird, though. For instance, the Matoran decide to just tear themselves apart and build themselves up a little better? That sounds pretty gruesome when you think about it, even though it never was meant to be.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Surprised nobody mentioned Tren Krom's death.The Bohrok/Av-Matoran thing also startled me a little when I first found out about it, though for some reason I didn't find it that disturbing to be honest. But then I guess it is pretty disturbing when you consider the Boxors are literally made of Matoran parts.

Tren Krom in general. :P By design of course.I agree about the Bohrok/Av thing. But I think what happened here was mainly a clue that was somehow done wrong, and we were too disturbed by it to catch it. Now that we know they weren't fully "real beings" (whatever the change was; it's debated whether it was sapience... which only makes this more disturbing lol...), I can see how originally it was just one 'nanotech' unit transforming to the next. And since we learned it a little before all of that, it was probably meant as a clue. And in hindsight value I guess it works for that. But there probably could have been a better way to explain the whole "how dare you oppose your brothers" line. Really, their shared purpose in helping Mata Nui wake up (and then stand up) would have been enough.I thought mask infection was pretty creepy, again in a good way for fiction. And various other things that aren't coming to mind right now lol.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

All things considered, Bionicle really wasn't very disturbing at all. The intentionally "disturbing" bits were pretty tame, which makes since, given that it's target audience is kids. Some of the other stuff that was meant for you to just take at face value was kind of weird, though. For instance, the Matoran decide to just tear themselves apart and build themselves up a little better? That sounds pretty gruesome when you think about it, even though it never was meant to be.
In most of the cases, yes. But sometimes I feel like that in attempts to explain something, Greg could put up some disturbing plot twists, like the Bohrok case...After all, the fanbase of BIONICLE does not only consist of kids but also teens and some adults (due to its 10 year time span. Most kids in 2001 would have grown up to teens/adults by 2010).
Tren Krom in general. :P By design of course.I agree about the Bohrok/Av thing. But I think what happened here was mainly a clue that was somehow done wrong, and we were too disturbed by it to catch it. Now that we know they weren't fully "real beings" (whatever the change was; it's debated whether it was sapience... which only makes this more disturbing lol...), I can see how originally it was just one 'nanotech' unit transforming to the next. And since we learned it a little before all of that, it was probably meant as a clue. And in hindsight value I guess it works for that. But there probably could have been a better way to explain the whole "how dare you oppose your brothers" line. Really, their shared purpose in helping Mata Nui wake up (and then stand up) would have been enough.I thought mask infection was pretty creepy, again in a good way for fiction. And various other things that aren't coming to mind right now lol.
Which is why I think it is disturbing. What if the armor still has conscience? Remember how the Bohrok armor was described as being able to be programmed to do stuff? Maybe the souls of the Av Matoran were still in the armor... and Nuparu tore them apart and used the parts to craft a machine so he could trash more Bohrok... while the Bahrag used their sorcery to make parasites to fill up the Bohroks' empty headplates...
99.9% of BIONICLE fans forgot about Podu. If you happen to be the 0.1% that still remember him, copy and paste this into your sig.

Yes, by the time the Bohrok is created, the Av-Matoran's spirit is gone. Given how Matoran can also repair and rebuild themselves, I think they'd be pretty lenient with "spare parts" from dead beings, if those beings were chill with transforming like the Av-Matoran were.I'm not that keen on the whole Matoran --> Bohrok transformation for other reasons, but the more disturbing part of it is the sheer mount of Bohrok that exists. Where did they come from? Matoran live for thousands of years, and I don't think I know of any other event apart from the Karda Nui scene where any of them has died from old age. So either the Great Beings/Bahrag created those Bohrok directly (most likely), or a whole bunch of Matoran were created for the express purpose of turning them into Bohrok ASAP.Tren Krom was creepy by design (Lovecraft references tend to be), and a few of the other meant-to-be-scary beings such as Karzahni and Irnakk. Mind-affecting stuff can be pretty disturbing when you think of it. But one of the things I found the most creepy in BIONICLE must be the Zivon and its home, possibly the Kahgarak that summons it too. It's this giant spider/scorpion creature that can shut down all your important functions (sight, hearing, speech, touch), leaving you completely helpless as it devours you at its leisure. "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream."The Zone of Darkness/Field of Shadows itself sounds almost designed to make you go mad, since it's a featureless plain of unknown size in a dimension of complete darkness. You get dropped in there, and suddenly you are blind, and have no way of knowing where you are. I can't imagine how Krahka could take a 1000 years of it, but I suppose she might at least have shapeshifted into a creature that didn't need sight (or possibly into something that could create light by itself, since she could emulate powers).I pity the poor Rahkshi that BS01 lists as being in there. At least it can make itself invulnerable to the Zivon because of its power, but that still doesn't leave a lot of purpose, especially since it's cut off from its Makuta master. Now that the MU is down for the count, it's likely stuck there forever unless it gets extremely lucky with a surviving Khargarak or Olmak portal.

Yes, by the time the Bohrok is created, the Av-Matoran's spirit is gone. Given how Matoran can also repair and rebuild themselves, I think they'd be pretty lenient with "spare parts" from dead beings, if those beings were chill with transforming like the Av-Matoran were.I'm not that keen on the whole Matoran --> Bohrok transformation for other reasons, but the more disturbing part of it is the sheer mount of Bohrok that exists. Where did they come from? Matoran live for thousands of years, and I don't think I know of any other event apart from the Karda Nui scene where any of them has died from old age. So either the Great Beings/Bahrag created those Bohrok directly (most likely), or a whole bunch of Matoran were created for the express purpose of turning them into Bohrok ASAP.Tren Krom was creepy by design (Lovecraft references tend to be), and a few of the other meant-to-be-scary beings such as Karzahni and Irnakk. Mind-affecting stuff can be pretty disturbing when you think of it. But one of the things I found the most creepy in BIONICLE must be the Zivon and its home, possibly the Kahgarak that summons it too. It's this giant spider/scorpion creature that can shut down all your important functions (sight, hearing, speech, touch), leaving you completely helpless as it devours you at its leisure. "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream."The Zone of Darkness/Field of Shadows itself sounds almost designed to make you go mad, since it's a featureless plain of unknown size in a dimension of complete darkness. You get dropped in there, and suddenly you are blind, and have no way of knowing where you are. I can't imagine how Krahka could take a 1000 years of it, but I suppose she might at least have shapeshifted into a creature that didn't need sight (or possibly into something that could create light by itself, since she could emulate powers).I pity the poor Rahkshi that BS01 lists as being in there. At least it can make itself invulnerable to the Zivon because of its power, but that still doesn't leave a lot of purpose, especially since it's cut off from its Makuta master. Now that the MU is down for the count, it's likely stuck there forever unless it gets extremely lucky with a surviving Khargarak or Olmak portal.
Interesting. I cannot remember at which point of the story mentioned that a Rahkshi was sent to the ZoD...

Wow none of you mention this but i will I believe it was brutka who threatened to send Makuta to a dimension with pure light creators that eat beings of shadow with there mouths open. The thought of that and if that happened with Makuta still alive. I don't think the bohrok and the Av-matoren were most likely for back ups when the original's died and matoren do not always live thousands of years if the get damaged or killed like jala did (minus the part of coming back to life) the Av-matoren don't either the matoren that turned into a bohrok when we first found out was if i remember correctly was sick or was he fatally wounded. I liked the plot twist with the bohrok. one more note the love in bionicle should not be there its just strange i mean if they can tear them self apart then they can make new matoren with spare parts or if i remember reading right after Mata-nui was cast asleep the production of making matoren in metru-nui was put to a halt correct me if I'm wrong.

one day this will contain greatness only the best. But take this with the ocean of salt then you will know what to expect from this

Yeah, the Av-Matoran basically die, as in with a shorter lifespan, and their bodies become Bohrok. (Which kinda seems to contradict Takua being the oldest Matoran... but I guess those destined to be Toa don't count.)They do have spirits that attach to masks, if the masks are intact, and maybe their masks become the brainplates. And I always wonder if something of their mind remains in the clockwork brain they get (or whatever kind of robotic brain it is). But there's no real evidence of that. I think all that's left might be a fading spirit the same as with Lhikan in the mask Jaller wore. Taking apart the Bohrok probably has no effect on that, and for most of them, by that time their spirits were long faded by the rule Greg gave for Lhikan's.

the Av-matoren don't either the matoren that turned into a bohrok when we first found out was if i remember correctly was sick or was he fatally wounded. I liked the plot twist with the bohrok.
Well, good to hear someone liked it. I don't think he was sick, though, just showing symptoms that he was about to transform, like "old age".

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Yeah, the Av-Matoran basically die, as in with a shorter lifespan, and their bodies become Bohrok. (Which kinda seems to contradict Takua being the oldest Matoran... but I guess those destined to be Toa don't count.)They do have spirits that attach to masks, if the masks are intact, and maybe their masks become the brainplates. And I always wonder if something of their mind remains in the clockwork brain they get (or whatever kind of robotic brain it is). But there's no real evidence of that. I think all that's left might be a fading spirit the same as with Lhikan in the mask Jaller wore. Taking apart the Bohrok probably has no effect on that, and for most of them, by that time their spirits were long faded by the rule Greg gave for Lhikan's.
the Av-matoren don't either the matoren that turned into a bohrok when we first found out was if i remember correctly was sick or was he fatally wounded. I liked the plot twist with the bohrok.
Well, good to hear someone liked it. I don't think he was sick, though, just showing symptoms that he was about to transform, like "old age".
We are actually getting quite off topic :P(even though I still want to know at which point was a Rahkshi sent to the Zone of Darkness...)So, another thing that quite disturbed me was that Zaktan was made up of protodites. It is an interesting concept of a character (in terms of combat...), but still creeps me out a bit that he is made of a virus... and he shoves part of his body into other's mouth... urgh...

I find its lack of teal pieces disturbing. Also Hahli Inika's mask. Not to mention that Archive Masacre. "What's that, Teridax? You killed them all? Can somebody say PRO-MO-TION!"But the most disturbing? The fact that the Makuta from 08 had more color than the toa nuva! Seriously, that fact just freaks me out. o.o

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

We are actually getting quite off topic :P(even though I still want to know at which point was a Rahkshi sent to the Zone of Darkness...)
I'm fine with people discussing details they're curious about related to these here. :)

I find its lack of teal pieces disturbing. Also Hahli Inika's mask. Not to mention that Archive Masacre. "What's that, Teridax? You killed them all? Can somebody say PRO-MO-TION!"But the most disturbing? The fact that the Makuta from 08 had more color than the toa nuva! Seriously, that fact just freaks me out. o.o
They have equal amount of colors. Mutran and Gorast have the same colour scheme; Same to Icarax and Antroz...

So, another thing that quite disturbed me was that Zaktan was made up of protodites. It is an interesting concept of a character (in terms of combat...), but still creeps me out a bit that he is made of a virus... and he shoves part of his body into other's mouth... urgh...
I seem to remember that he wasn't all that happy about his condition himself. As he said to Irnakk:
Horror is looking into the eyes of the Shadowed One, knowing you are about to die ... and then being forced to live. Horror is waking each day to see every part of your body moving on its own, a shifting mass of Protodites where once was solid metal and living tissue. Horror is what is in the eyes of your partners when they look at you ... and in the cries of your enemies when your swarm engulfs them. Don't talk to me about fear, creature — I am fear!
I wonder how his sense of touch or pain is, when he is actually a "hive mind" now. Come to think of it, Zaktan has it pretty bad. Not having full control of your body is not quite up there with my fear of being blind, but it's darn close.

Me neither. I guess it was during the events of Time Trap or something, or perhaps even later, after Brutaka had appeared in the story.
I think it was during Challenge of the Hordika -- Whenua and Bomonga encountered several Kahgarahk in the Archives, and one of the victims was a Rahkshi.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Wow none of you mention this but i will I believe it was brutka who threatened to send Makuta to a dimension with pure light creators that eat beings of shadow with there mouths open.
Yeah that is pretty disturbing, I mean that's probably the only thing that makes a Makuta brings a Makuta to the braking point. Speaking of Makuta, am I the first to say the Makutas' "evolution" into a gas state was creepy. The first thing they noticed was when then couldn't move their body parts. Plus them being gaseous is pretty messed up with the fact they need a body that keeps their antidermis from flowing out and just pick up stuff.

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

I don't know why, but since I played the MNOG back in '01, I always though the scene where Lewa has an infected mask and he grabs his head in pain was really messed up.

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

I think the most disturbing part was when the Piraka hit the Voya matoran and made them into mindless slaves and left only six left. Not to mention how long was it before the Toa Nuva or the Toa Inika showed up? Another example would be Metru Nui when it had the visorak, sure it was so disturbing then but then we discovered that it was Mata Nui's brain. Yeah the thought that he had those crawling around in his brain (yes he had rahi in his head but those rahi were mostly from his brain visorak were not native to Metru Nui) and mutating stuff is really messed up.
These two examples. For one, they were things that always caught my attention as "That's weird", and two, those are some of the few things I still remember from the story. :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

While all of these count, there was the cave to Karzahni in the Legends books. For those who don't know or remember it was the cave that the soon-to-be toa Inika ventured through to Karzahni, and also just before Takanuva split up after being inable to go further. Anyway you can't see in there, even if you have elemental light powers, and there was a dead toa in there to boot, but the creepiest thing was the Mysterious Being (MB) living in there. Granted all it did was hold Matoro's hand, but you have no real idea as to what it was or what it's intentions are (beyond the obvious) and your mind tends to invent things far more terrifying then actually exist in similar situations. Consider the MB and then think of the dead toa, for all we know this thing murdered it and for whatever reason just chose not to murder them.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

While all of these count, there was the cave to Karzahni in the Legends books. For those who don't know or remember it was the cave that the soon-to-be toa Inika ventured through to Karzahni, and also just before Takanuva split up after being inable to go further. Anyway you can't see in there, even if you have elemental light powers, and there was a dead toa in there to boot, but the creepiest thing was the Mysterious Being (MB) living in there. Granted all it did was hold Matoro's hand, but you have no real idea as to what it was or what it's intentions are (beyond the obvious) and your mind tends to invent things far more terrifying then actually exist in similar situations. Consider the MB and then think of the dead toa, for all we know this thing murdered it and for whatever reason just chose not to murder them.
There was no mysterious being. That was the Ignika helping out Matoro.

AXKP5KC.png

There was no mysterious being. That was the Ignika helping out Matoro.
Touche, but that does not change the fear factor of being in such a situation at the place and time, and, as we are all aware of, hardly do such situations have any non-malevolent forces behind them, though I suppose that is more said from subjective experience.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

The most disturbing Bionicle thing?The fans.Also I guess the Tuyet thing. I really never got what was so strange about the Bohrok/Av-Matoran thing.
True. Us fans can be sometimes too demanding in a way :P Edited by bonesiii
Let's be a little more gentle about it, yeah? :) -bones

Yeah, that was quite disturbing. Plus the way Icarax was killed was disturbing (imagine seeing a thousand parts of his body sent to a thousand places at the same time).

The most disturbing Bionicle thing?The fans.Also I guess the Tuyet thing. I really never got what was so strange about the Bohrok/Av-Matoran thing.
True. Us fans can be sometimes too demanding in a way :P
How? Edited by bonesiii
Editing the quote per original post. -bones

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Yeah, that was quite disturbing. Plus the way Icarax was killed was disturbing (imagine seeing a thousand parts of his body sent to a thousand places at the same time).
Uh, no, any observers would only see Icarax teleport, the only difference would be that his scattered molecules would never come back together.Anyways, what the Piraka did to that unnamed Toa of Sonics was pretty gruesome, although I wish we could have gotten Greg to say exactly what happened, but... We probably don't want to know.

aouROFb.png

I never really thought of the Av-Bohrok thing as that creepy, but now that you mentioned the Boxors... ugh.I'm surprised no one has mentioned Annona yet. A being that "eats" your dreams, causing you to slowly go insane? Plus, its scenes in Sahmad's Tale were pretty creepy.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Yes, Annona was creepy, and now that you mention the scenes in Sahmad's Tale, I realize the golden fusion was pretty scary too. His ability to make dreams and wishes real makes him able to do pretty much anything, as far as we know, and yet his battle with Annona showed how wrong that power can go.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

I was fine with the Boxors being made out of Bohrok. Up until it was revealed that Av-Matoran transform into Bohrok when they die. *shudders*On a less serious note, in Bionicle Heroes, whenever you defeat a Piraka, the protagonist take its head and use it as a puppet. And chuckles afterwards.

Edited by Toa of the Nova Corps