Your First Set

Just A Dot

Wow, lotta late starters here.

My first set was Gali Mata. My father brought her home for me after getting back from sea (Military man). I loved her, I built her in the car ride home.

But I did get a McDonald's Matoran thanks to a friend who didn't want it. It was Onepu. I later traded him for Huki and Matoro, but I was conned and I only got Matoro.

• Upvote 2

Time is my frenemy. So is money.
May the classics never die and may the future find a new set of Toa.

BZPRPG Character

My first set was Pohatu Mata. I remember walking around in Toys R Us with my father and seeing these weird cylinders on the shelves with all of the other LEGO sets. I asked if I could buy "the brown one with the big feet,", and I was hooked! I thought it was so cool that I could pose him like an action figure, but also build and re-build him with future Bionicle purchases. I still have Pohatu and the rest of my sets more than 10 years later.

• 2 weeks later...

I was five and my brother had just turned three. He's always been a smart kid who knew not to put non-food items in his mouth, so when he asked for Pohatu Mata for his birthday, my parents said yes.

My baby bro was a genius I s2g because he built Pohatu with minimal help from our dad. The only time he flubbed up was when he accidentally knocked one of the gears down the air vent, but the vent was closed so dad rescued it easily.

He was so psyched about Pohatu that he ran around the house making him kick stuff, including me, and the only reason I didn't get mad at him was because I thought Pohatu was cute. <3

Beyond that, I wasn't really interested, because I was a five-year-old girl and I had to play with girl toys, y'know?

A couple months later, my brother got Gali and had me help him build her. Then he held up Gali and Kopaka and said, "She's a girl too. Wanna play?"

Aaaaand I was sold.

• Upvote 4
WHAT'S UP, BUTTERCUP???

My first set was Gali Nuva, a birthday gift from my parents. I didn't know she was female, and I didn't care that the canister had a name on it. To me it was Aqua, a heroic robot who was soon accompanied by his comrades: the blue, spine-backed Geo, the green, insect-faced Bio, and finally their mighty avian leader named Laser (and Lava, his small red sidekick).

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

It was Christmas 2005, way back when I lived in the state of Wisconsin. My family was about to move to Washington (surprisingly enough), and for Christmas, I got Sir Jako. Probably the reason that I got a Lego set was my interest my older brother's Bionicle sets. I found Sir Jako really fun, but when we moved, I ended up losing a lot of the set's pieces (because I was six years old, and nowhere near as responsible as I am today.

I know, not much of a story, but it's a true one.

• 2 weeks later...

I was 4 years old. That's right, 2001.

The first set? Tahu Mata. The first ever set <3.

I had previously gotten some Technic stuff like the Slizers I think.

I remember being put at my Grandma's house for babysitting, and I would bring ALL the Toa Mata there to play.

I think we had access to lots of the extra goodies like promo material and vids and remember just sitting at the computer and looking over and over at the videos of the Toa Mata arrival and Bohrok later on and other stuff.

I think elemental powers really sold it for me. As I grew story became a really major factor for my sustained interest.

I remember I always built the mask onto the head before anything else. What can I say, I love Kanohi. <3

Afterwards I kept all the promo posters, Lego catalogs and stuff in a big folder, and bought all the books except some of the Bionicle Adventures series.

Edited by Just Norik

My first two were Dekar and Defilak as presents from a friend for my 6th birthday, I guess. I knew NOTHING of the story then, and a few months later, at a car boot sale, I saw a big bag with lots of sets which I thought looked like my two Mahtoran (Mahri Nui Matoran). I picked two out, Tahu and Kopaka Mata (Their masks were elsewhere- I presume they had fallen off in the bag, and I didn't search because I didn't know any better). I also seem to remember seeing a flash of purple in that bag, which would have been either Onepu or the Nui-Jaga. Inika Nuparu and Mahri Kongu followed (I only chose Nuparu because his Laser Drill lights up red). It was around that time that I subscribed to the Lego Club. Start of 08, I saw the Phantoka. Tanma followed (My Tanma is actually Chinese I think- my dad bought him for me whilst he was on a business trip to Shanghai), and then Lewa for my birthday. Fast forward two years, and there exists the first thing which I ever really hated: HF. Fast forward another four years, and my 7 and 5 year old cousins (Who have always found my Bionicles intriguing) have managed to pester me into buying them a set each for Christmas this year. Lewa Phantoka (Nostalgia!!!!!) for the 7-year-old, and Tahu Mistika for the 5-year-old.

Edited by Makuta Miras

VBWj75sh.png

My first clue about bionicle came back in the christmas of 2000. I had received the Lava and Power(yellow) Roboriders sets for christmas whic h were the last of the 8 in that series and i distinctly remembered seeing an advertisement for bionicle in one of the instruction manuals.

Later i temptationally browsed the lego cataogs and the bionicle website until the sets came out. Months later while i was staying ove at my grandparents house for the weekend i was with on a shopping trip in a local small foodstore them and finally saw the sets and instinctively picked up Kopaka as my first set, i didnt have quite enough but my good and kindhearted grandpa helped pay for what i needed for him.

Also that day after i sat at the kitchen table and built him i remember that i idnt find the toa head and i kept thinking that i was supposed to attach the eyes to the backside of the toa mata head on the canister lid but i eventually found the head and finished him.

qs3135.jpg

Nuju Metru was given to me when I was 7 by my best friend, and from then on I was hooked on the line. I love reading, so I learned the story by going through most of the books in one night. Bionicle was, and remains, my favorite LEGO line ever released.

• Upvote 1

My first set was the first 6 Toa Mata which I bought at Legoland California back in 2001. After seeing their commercial I went to Legoland the next day to get them and got me a free poster and a free Kopaka writing pen and bought a tshit with all 6 Toas on it. It was the best day ever when I got home. :)

dude that's an amazing experience that not everybody like my self can have becaus i was born in the year 2000

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe

• 2 weeks later...

I got Lehvak-Kal on my fifth birthday, and I still have him sitting on my desk rolled up in a ball. I don't think I've even heard of Bionicle before then. I remember that when I first built it, I put the white pieces on upside-down, so it looked like it had fangs. Unfortunately, I lost the Krana-Kal, but replaced it with one of the same color but a different shape. It's amazing I still have both rubber bands... Soon after that I got all the Rahkshi (blue one first), then the Toa Metru (Vakama first), and it goes on from there...

Edited by Toa Of Virtues

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

It was either my third birthday in 2001 or my fourth in 2002, I honestly don't remember. I got Kopaka Mata as a present from my older brother. I was already familiar with the sets, becaus he had some of the other Toa Mata himself. The ball joints were a little tough for me to put together, so I had my brother helping me. As time went on my brother grew out of Bionicle, so he passed his sets on to me. At that point I started looking into the story and media of Bionicle at the time, though it wasn't until 2009 that I learned about the more in-depth story elements. I remember that one day my father brought a promotional VHS home, telling the legend of the Toa. I've been following Bionicle ever since.

Hail Denmark

I got the blue Vahki, Bordakh, as a present from my dad. I still have it to this day, although one of the "staff's" axles broke off, so I had to superglue it back on.

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself.

Ahh, I remember as if it were yesterdayz.... I turned seven, and me and my family and friends celebrated in some kind of interactive physics museum. Me and my sisters always thought that place was heaven - I still have no clue what ever made me assume that.

Anyway, I got two that day, both from my two best friends. First, Lewa Nuva appeared (my mom didn't like it, so I did), and I also got Panrahk. I really liked the awesome detail to the canisters.

I always played with them with my little sister. I was Lewa, she was Panrahk. We both thought Panrahk had a cute face, but my parents and my older sister wouldn't agree. I think all we ever did was practicing battle and some kind of family time for Bionicles. Matoran were always children and toa/rahkshi/vahki/etc were often parents.

Funny thing, though: I didn't really assume that they actually could talk in the real story, as they were silent in all the online videos. My little sister knew it all along, though. Big shock for me when we first watched MoL.

banner1.png

My first set, although it was technically one of my brother's first sets, was Vhisola. I was 4, and I got it at his birthday party in '04, because he ended up with 4 of them. He gave one to me and one to my twin, and I had no idea what it was. I had never even heard of Bionicle, and I was intrigued by the disk launcher and box art. Next thing you know, I'm putting Visorak on my birthday cakes...sigh. Why did Bionicle have to end?

Edited by _Macku_

6EDaWFY.png

• 4 weeks later...

I got my first Bionicle set in 2007 when I was in kindergarten. My best friend at the time, kept on bringing in his Solek Av-Matoran set. I was intrigued by the figure- it was nothing like I had ever seen before. And as such, I went home and asked my mother to buy me one. We were walking through Toys 'R' Us, and the only thing that was going through my mind was what in the world my friend's Bionicle looked like, because I had forgotten yet wanted so dearly to get the same as his. The only thing I could remember was that it was white. At the end of the day, I didn't end up getting Solek, but I did end up getting Matoro from the Toa Mahri. After that day, I started searching through the internet for anything related to Bionicle, and found a few YouTube channels like LegoMationStudio and robomaniac7. I'd constantly see these mind-blowing advertisements on television for Bionicle such as Creeps from the Deep and the Toa Mahri Movie. To me, Bionicle was the coolest thing ever, for lack of a better word. It's dark feel just grabbed me and got me enveloped into the franchise. I would go to BionicleStory.com (which is no longer a website, it was taken down by Lego after the discontinuation of Bionicle) to look for sets that I wanted from previous years, because I felt left out since I started so "late" in the toyline. Every Christmas, my father would buy me older sets on Amazon (my mother rarely bought things online because she was afraid of identity theft) and he still does to this day.

justin_verceles

My first set was Lewa, when I was a kid, I loved going to toy stores and looking what my birthday present may be, so, I went to the lego sections, and laid my eyes on Gali, tahu and kopeke. So when I got Lewa I was disappointed but then I started to like green and lime a lot and started liking him, as years passed on I get more and more attached to the Bionicle series

For me it really depends on how you define first, The first BIONICLE merchandise I came across was the Huki Mctoran back when I was a young'n. 

My brother was really the one who would get the actual sets, due to me being very young at the time. I grew up second-hand experiencing the Bohrok and the Toa. 

But the first sets I owned that were mine? That belongs to Takanuva and Ussanui, Makuta, and the Lerahk. Got all of them for some type of special occasion, can't remember if it was birthday or otherwise.

-Kongu Champion Gukko Rider

"Two, Four, One, Ten, Two, Four, One, Ten. Am I Transmitting, Is Anyone Listening..?"

LEGO Universe Fan - BIONICLE Fan from 2001 - Discovered BZP in 2007

My first set was a Vorahk that I got for Christmas in... well, I guess it must have been 2003. I wasn't familiar with Bionicle at all until then, and that set was what inspired me. It was one of the limited edition Shadow Kraata Rahkshi, and it came with a mini CD that had some cool Mask of Light stuff on it... I don't remember it too clearly.

I've been fangirling pretty hard since then. Thanks, Aunt [REDACTED].

• Upvote 1

banner.jpg

for first set (not like, Mctoran 'cuz i got one of those before after a soccer game when i was tiny) it was like... i think my family and i spent the day at the Mall of America? we used to live literally like forty minutes away from it, and i loved the aquarium (i vaguely remember petting the sea pancakes [manta-rays]) so we were spending a lot of time there and after we went to... one of the stores, i forget whcih one it was??? but it had a few rows of the Bionicle sets (like they were brand new and stuff, so there were a lot sold out already) and it was basically just tons of Onuas and Galis. 

almost got Onua there, but dropped one of the canisters and it only had a mask and two claws and i remember thinking "that's lame" and not "someone shoplifted this can in particular" but then again iw as like what, six? so i got Gali instead, i also liked the whole water theme she had going and the kaukau was one of my favorite masks (i really liked the translucentness). 

it took me five hours to put her together cuz like what are ball joints and why do they hurt so much)

• Upvote 1

it took me five hours to put her together cuz like what are ball joints and why do they hurt so much)

Haha! I remember how much those ball joints hurt to put together on my first set! I asked my mom for help a couple times and she said something along the lines of "if you can't put it together by yourself, maybe you aren't old enough to play with it." That certainly gave me the motivation to suffer through it.

banner.jpg

Bordakh, the blue Vahki. Cool looks and functions got me hooked :P

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself.

I think it was for my 11th birthday in November 2001 that I received my first Bionicle sets: Kopaka and Gali (I forget which one I opened first). I immediately wanted to collect all six of them, so for Christmas one month later, I got Tahu and Pohatu. My brother also got Onua, which I kept borrowing frequently until I was eventually given one of my own. By the time I finally got Lewa to complete my collection, the Bohrok were starting to come out, and I wanted all six of them, too. It all just continued from there, and now here I sit looking up at a very impressive collection of Bionicle sets (about 180 different sets in total).

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.