Wairuha Master of Wisdom

Aanchir

Wow, just wow. That is amazing! I love how you (and Lyichir) incorporated the leg AND arm gear functions! And it still has the same overall look! 10/10 Would upvote again.  Could you post a video of you using the gear functions? I'd love to see them. :) 

EXTERMINATE!

Edited by Dalek CAAN
  • Upvote 2

EXTERMINATE!

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf 15201987503_1b25d2d5b1_m.jpg  

3DS Friend Code:2578-4213-3661        A link to Goooooomba

This looks great, really good job. The original Kaitas left a whole lot to be desired so this is a whole different story! I agree that you have to make the other one now though...

Just a question, as I'm not that familiar with the parts included in the new sets yet, did you use any additional components? Or is this an authentic combiner using just those parts from the 3 original models? If it's the latter then I'd like to see instructions for this somewhere as a fanon combiner for the new releases :D

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

To be honest, while it looks really cool in certain places, I am a bit underwhelmed by the end result. I thought you'd be able to do something more creative with the weapons. And while Wairhua does have the Miru in the official combiner, it wouldn't hurt to see him with another mask on, particularly a gold one. In any case, still pretty awesome, and I can't wait to try to outdo your attempt!! XD

:tohu:

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

My opinion

+pros

*It definitely looks like a warrior.

*It takes elements from each individual set and merges them together quite well.

*I like the staff a lot.

*Knowing it is a combiner model, it looks very good overall.

-cons

*The legs are a bit too thin to support that amount of armour.

I won't add this with the cons, but I think the little hands look out of place in a mighty warrior. However I don't think you had other choices.

• Upvote 1

:b: :i: :m_o: :n: :i: :c: :l: :e:

Wow, just wow. That is amazing! I love how you (and Lyichir) incorporated the leg AND arm gear functions! And it still has the same overall look! 10/10 Would upvote again. Could you post a video of you using the gear functions? I'd love to see them. :)

I can see about doing so, yes!

I've been waiting for someone to build this. It definitely looks like Wairuha. Now build Akamai.

This looks great, really good job. The original Kaitas left a whole lot to be desired so this is a whole different story! I agree that you have to make the other one now though...

If only I could! But for that, I'm going to have to wait until January like the rest of you. The LEGO Group only sent me six sets: three Toa and three Protectors.

Just a question, as I'm not that familiar with the parts included in the new sets yet, did you use any additional components? Or is this an authentic combiner using just those parts from the 3 original models? If it's the latter then I'd like to see instructions for this somewhere as a fanon combiner for the new releases :D

Just the parts from the three sets! I will see about putting instructions together, though that might take a while, and the actual set reviews are going to be a higher priority for me until those are all finished. Hopefully there's no rush, especially since it will be a while before certain essential parts like the new gearbox are available to most builders anyway.

To be honest, while it looks really cool in certain places, I am a bit underwhelmed by the end result. I thought you'd be able to do something more creative with the weapons. And while Wairhua does have the Miru in the official combiner, it wouldn't hurt to see him with another mask on, particularly a gold one. In any case, still pretty awesome, and I can't wait to try to outdo your attempt!! XD

I considered using the gold version of the mask, but decided against it because I didn't use Warm Gold anywhere else in the model. If a silver version of Lewa's new mask existed, I'd have certainly used that, on account of its resemblance to the original Kanohi Rua! But sadly it currently only exists in two colors. Maybe if I get around to taking more pictures I will take one with the gold mask.

As far as the weapons are concerned, I toyed with a number of different possibilities, but I decided I liked this double-bladed spear best. The elegant shape seemed well-suited to a strategic character like Wairuha, and the blades reminded me a bit of the uneven blades of Wairuha's original weapon, albeit less piecemeal.

The shield was a later addition. I knew I wanted Wairuha to carry a shield just like the classic version, and my original concept used Kopaka's shield pieces put together into an oval-shaped shield (similar in construction to Tahu's new lava surfboard). But it was very heavy (which is part of why I added friction joints to the arms) and I worried that it wasn't really original enough, seeing as it was little more than a slightly modified lava surfboard. Lyi came up with this smaller buckler-like design, and I think it makes for a much more interesting look. Plus, again, it seems like it would require a lot of skill to use, and thus a good fit for a spirit of wisdom.

I definitely feel like the weapons could be improved, and there are a few gaps, but the color scheme, figure, and mask are very impressive.

Thank you! :D I'm pretty happy with the weapons, but perhaps by the time I am able to put together Akamai I might have come up with some changes I could make.

hmm, the legs are kinda iffy, and it's kinda weird-looking from the back. :0

and i'm not too sure what the leg gear function's supposed to achieve, but... *shrugs*

not too shabby. all the same.

The gear function for the legs has the same effect it did for the original Toa Kaita — it simulates running by making the legs swing in opposite directions.

Really cool build, but the colors are all over the place. It could use more arranging in that regard.

I put a lot of thought into where I'd put the different colors, actually. In particular, I tried to ensure that each color was spread out across the build rather than it seeming like any one part of the build was dominated by any one color. I don't think that I could have done much better with just the parts of these three sets — that's the eternal challenge of building a combi model from sets with three different color schemes.

My opinion

+pros

*It definitely looks like a warrior.

*It takes elements from each individual set and merges them together quite well.

*I like the staff a lot.

*Knowing it is a combiner model, it looks very good overall.

-cons

*The legs are a bit too thin to support that amount of armour.

I won't add this with the cons, but I think the little hands look out of place in a mighty warrior. However I don't think you had other choices.

Yeah, coming up with an alternate solution for the hands would have been tricky. If I had been willing to use the parts of the Skull Spiders I could have used the "paw" pieces from Kopaka's shoulders with Skull Spider legs as claws, but I was trying to use just the parts of the Toa themselves, and I don't think giant claws would have suited Wairuha as a character anyhow.

The legs were tricky to achieve, and in the end I'm happy with how they turned out, since some of my earlier concepts had been even thinner (think the new Tahu's upper legs). If I'd had more pieces, maybe I could have come up with a better leg design, though it'd be tricky without screwing up the proportions of the hips.

That is amazing, truly an amazing combination of the Masters and very akin to the concept of the Kaita and Wairuha. Lego should just ask you guys to use that as an official model. xD It's seriously really, really good.

-NotS

Thanks! I'm really glad this model has been so well-received. Building Toa Kaita is an extremely fun creative exercise, but since these sets have more pieces and more articulation than ever before, it was a totally new experience for me. Akamai might be even more of a challenge, especially since for him I'm hoping to use a classic three-gearbox design (one for the legs and one for each arm) instead of just a two-gearbox design like I used here.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

I think a lot of the critique here becomes rather irrelevant when we consider that this is a combiner set. If this was a ground up MOC then things would be different but you don't get to choose things like parts or colour schemes when all you have is three sets in front of you and you're trying to build something good. I mean let's not forget how terrible the original kaita looked, and that was officially sanctioned...

• Upvote 2

This looks simply amazing. I know people are saying the weapons look weird, but in my opinion, I don't think you could have possibly done better on them. I agree with you in that they fit Wairuha, and I also think they do so perfectly. This is probably the best anyone could have done bearing in mind it's a combiner. Bravo, sir.

I was actually thinking of recreating the Toa Kaita with the 2015 sets at one point.

Looks like someone beat me to it.  B-)

I'm sure a lot of people were planning on making the Toa Kaita out of the 2015 sets. :P It should be no surprise someone did it before you.

MetaKnight.gif  Stay vigilant, my friends. MetaKnight.gif

I think a lot of the critique here becomes rather irrelevant when we consider that this is a combiner set. If this was a ground up MOC then things would be different but you don't get to choose things like parts or colour schemes when all you have is three sets in front of you and you're trying to build something good. I mean let's not forget how terrible the original kaita looked, and that was officially sanctioned...

Well, I wouldn't call the original Toa Kaita designs terrible. BIONICLE design standards in general were different back then — characters felt more robotic, and there was less emphasis on making the designs lifelike in terms of articulation or proportions. So gappy, bowlegged designs like those made plenty of sense at the time. Building a combi model from newer sets can be a greater challenge because it's expected to measure up to the design standards of the sets used to build it. If people feel that this model fell short of that, then that's a valid point of criticism.

I like the overall look, though the legs could use a bit of tweak, as the sticking out armor pieces just feel off, same for the feet. they feel a little small, but kudos for building it. B-)

I'm actually really fond of the lower legs. Even if I weren't, though, there's not much I could do about them. I can't use torso beams for the legs like I did without armor on the sides, because ball joints that stick out that far would be even worse than armor shells. And there aren't a lot of other ways to add both length and volume to the legs with the pieces I had — the other realistic option would be adding an extra joint to the legs like many of these HF combination models, and on a model this tall that would look even more awkward and bony than it did on those models.

I was actually thinking of recreating the Toa Kaita with the 2015 sets at one point.

Looks like someone beat me to it. B-)

You're more than welcome to attempt your own designs for the Toa Kaita once the sets are out! I'd hate for my model to discourage other people from even attempting the same design challenge. Who knows? Maybe somebody will come up with a Wairuha design I like even more than my own!

This looks simply amazing. I know people are saying the weapons look weird, but in my opinion, I don't think you could have possibly done better on them. I agree with you in that they fit Wairuha, and I also think they do so perfectly. This is probably the best anyone could have done bearing in mind it's a combiner. Bravo, sir.

Well, I don't want to say it's the best anyone could have done! This is what Lyi and I were able to put together in just a day or two, albeit after a few good weeks of brainstorming on LEGO Digital Designer. Certainly this model turned out good enough for me to be happy with it, though.

Looks like someone beat me to it.  B-)

I'm sure a lot of people were planning on making the Toa Kaita out of the 2015 sets. :P It should be no surprise someone did it before you.

Well, when it's still over a month until the sets are released, you can't fault people for being surprised. I was fortunate to even get ANY of the new sets this early, let alone three Toa that go together into a Toa Kaita. The only other reviewer I can think of off the top of my head who could have really attempted this by now is VBBN from Eurobricks, who owns the whole BIONICLE 2015 range!

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

*Gasp!* I know what you could do next! You could try to make a Kaita with the protectors! Like the Turaga Kaita. :D

EXTERMINATE!

Perhaps... Unlike the three Toa we got, the Protectors we got (Earth, Water, Jungle) don't form either traditional elemental trio. That's not to say we couldn't give it a shot, just that I don't know if the color scheme would work quite as well.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Combiner colour schemes have never been particularly beautiful though have they? I'd say it's worth a try if you guys fancy another challenge and I'm sure lots of people would like to see it! 

OK, can I please get the instructions, or a video on how to build this? I love it. I want one. The Kopaka shield pieces becoming angelic wings really just tops off what is a fantastic combiner. I have a thing for winged humanoid MoCs, and I certainly look forward to your Akamai!

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

For a combiner made only out of the official set's parts, this is a very great MOC! It's amazing that you were able to give both the arms AND the legs gear functions. The feet do look a bit weird, but that can't really be helped, and the Toa Kaita have always looked funky anyway. :P Once you guys get your hands on the other 3 Toa, you shouldn't just make Akamai, you should also build...

THE TOA NUI!!! :o  :P

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Combiner colour schemes have never been particularly beautiful though have they? I'd say it's worth a try if you guys fancy another challenge and I'm sure lots of people would like to see it!

I could definitely try making a Protector Kaita! It could definitely be a challenge. After all, with Toa Kaita I have plenty of guidelines to use as reference. There have been two specific characters with specific personality traits, and each has had two different forms I can use for reference. With Turaga and Matoran fusions, not only has there been basically just one "build" for each type of fusion, but the Protector sets are dramatically different from the Turaga and Matoran that have previously been used for fusions. Not to mention that no Matoran or Turaga combi models have had particular personality traits that I can try to emulate. It would be a bit tricky to get a sense of how tall or bulky a Protector fusion ought to be, so it would be more about seeing what I CAN do with the parts than having a clear sense of what I should be aiming for, like I more or less had here.

Woah! You stole my idea! :P

But anyway, great MOC. Complex, epic, and definitely a nice homage to the original. The only thing I don't like are the feet, but that's a small problem compared to the epicness of it in general. Good job!

Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with the feet, though to be honest I'm kind of surprised so many people share that sentiment, since on regular-sized sets I'm used to people complaining that the feet are too large! This is the first MOC I've made where the possibility of them being too small has been an issue — my other MOCs this size have used different foot designs to begin with.

OK, can I please get the instructions, or a video on how to build this? I love it. I want one. The Kopaka shield pieces becoming angelic wings really just tops off what is a fantastic combiner. I have a thing for winged humanoid MoCs, and I certainly look forward to your Akamai!

Instructions will come, eventually! Bit tricky right now because I've still got BIONICLE reviews (and now a magazine article) to finish writing, and that takes precedent. But I assume there's no rush, seeing as most people probably won't have the parts they need to build this until next month at the very least.

Dangit, I was gonna do that!

Anyway, this is a nice combiner. It's a shame LEGO didn't release a silver Miru.

I'm fully prepared to buy an extra and paint it if we never get an official one!

For a combiner made only out of the official set's parts, this is a very great MOC! It's amazing that you were able to give both the arms AND the legs gear functions. The feet do look a bit weird, but that can't really be helped, and the Toa Kaita have always looked funky anyway. :P Once you guys get your hands on the other 3 Toa, you shouldn't just make Akamai, you should also build...

THE TOA NUI!!! :o :P

Ooh, Toa Nui would be tricky. Chiefly because in that case there's no precedent for how big one should be or what it should look like — they didn't even exist officially in the old storyline! I could definitely give it a try once I have the rest of the sets, provided I'm not busy with other things.

If it helps, I always pictured the Toa Nui crossing the Bishounen Line: the Kaita got larger/monstrous, but the Nui would be a normal-sized being with all six colours or colour-shifting armour. Admittedly, that would be hard to MoC... -_-"

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I could definitely try making a Protector Kaita! It could definitely be a challenge. After all, with Toa Kaita I have plenty of guidelines to use as reference. There have been two specific characters with specific personality traits, and each has had two different forms I can use for reference. With Turaga and Matoran fusions, not only has there been basically just one "build" for each type of fusion, but the Protector sets are dramatically different from the Turaga and Matoran that have previously been used for fusions. Not to mention that no Matoran or Turaga combi models have had particular personality traits that I can try to emulate. It would be a bit tricky to get a sense of how tall or bulky a Protector fusion ought to be, so it would be more about seeing what I CAN do with the parts than having a clear sense of what I should be aiming for, like I more or less had here.

Woah! You stole my idea! :P

But anyway, great MOC. Complex, epic, and definitely a nice homage to the original. The only thing I don't like are the feet, but that's a small problem compared to the epicness of it in general. Good job!

Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with the feet, though to be honest I'm kind of surprised so many people share that sentiment, since on regular-sized sets I'm used to people complaining that the feet are too large! This is the first MOC I've made where the possibility of them being too small has been an issue — my other MOCs this size have used different foot designs to begin with.

Instructions will come, eventually! Bit tricky right now because I've still got BIONICLE reviews (and now a magazine article) to finish writing, and that takes precedent. But I assume there's no rush, seeing as most people probably won't have the parts they need to build this until next month at the very least.

Dangit, I was gonna do that!

Anyway, this is a nice combiner. It's a shame LEGO didn't release a silver Miru.

I'm fully prepared to buy an extra and paint it if we never get an official one!

For a combiner made only out of the official set's parts, this is a very great MOC! It's amazing that you were able to give both the arms AND the legs gear functions. The feet do look a bit weird, but that can't really be helped, and the Toa Kaita have always looked funky anyway. :P Once you guys get your hands on the other 3 Toa, you shouldn't just make Akamai, you should also build...

THE TOA NUI!!! :o :P

Ooh, Toa Nui would be tricky. Chiefly because in that case there's no precedent for how big one should be or what it should look like — they didn't even exist officially in the old storyline! I could definitely give it a try once I have the rest of the sets, provided I'm not busy with other things.

Luckily the CCBS should help with that.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Perhaps. Perhaps not. As versatile as the CCBS is, making a massive creation (more than twelve inches tall) that both looks good and can support its own weight is difficult no matter what building system you use. And doing so from a predefined parts palette can be even harder!

BIONICLE didn't even have an entirely consistent track record when it came to its largest official combi models. Kardas Dragon was elegant in some ways (great wings and ribcage!), but a little bit piecemeal in others (the tail was a bit floppy and awkward, and the legs were rather bony). Ultimate Dume has of course been extensively criticized for its extremely skeletal design. Takutanuva was actually not a whole lot bigger than Makuta, nor was it a particularly extensive redesign — the legs were nearly identical to Makuta's! And these were all models made from parts that had came from larger "titan" sets — they had already been chosen for use in those sets because they were well-suited to making large, elaborate, and imposing models!

With that said, this is the kind of thing you never know until you try! And even a big challenge is not necessarily an insurmountable one!

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

Perhaps. Perhaps not. As versatile as the CCBS is, making a massive creation (more than twelve inches tall) that both looks good and can support its own weight is difficult no matter what building system you use. And doing so from a predefined parts palette can be even harder!

BIONICLE didn't even have an entirely consistent track record when it came to its largest official combi models. Kardas Dragon was elegant in some ways (great wings and ribcage!), but a little bit piecemeal in others (the tail was a bit floppy and awkward, and the legs were rather bony). Ultimate Dume has of course been extensively criticized for its extremely skeletal design. Takutanuva was actually not a whole lot bigger than Makuta, nor was it a particularly extensive redesign — the legs were nearly identical to Makuta's! And these were all models made from parts that had came from larger "titan" sets — they had already been chosen for use in those sets because they were well-suited to making large, elaborate, and imposing models!

With that said, this is the kind of thing you never know until you try! And even a big challenge is not necessarily an insurmountable one!

Thank Mata-Nui for extenders.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I like the way the body of the LDD model is set so far in front of the legs, it inspires a sort of elegant yet robotic look, sort of like the Bohrok had. It translated really well into the finished model.

I bet it would look awesome in full gold.

Mantax can win connect four in three moves.

That's really cool.

There are a few things I would have done differently (Namely flipping the flippers around so it would make the feet look bigger) But it looks really nice. 

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

It's okay. the legs feel like they have a lot of "fluffy" or "artificial mass," that makes it look kind of ridiculous from any but a 3/4 perspective. 

What I mean is that you've just stuck a lot of armor shells onto the sides of the legs to make them appear larger than they actually are; this has the opposite effect, making the legs feel more spindly and intricate in comparison to the body. Combine that with the two sets of knees and square booty it's got going on, and the MOC feels like it's about to crumple under its own weight should a stiff breeze roll along.

Maybe start by transposing the shin armor up to the thighs, attach by the sides, and stick the new armor plate onto it like in the attached image. DEFINITELY add something to the middle bone if possible.

That over-engineered codpiece isn't doing it any favors either and honestly it's kind of crass. One might as well add oversized breasts to Wairuha, considering that 1/3 of its components are female.

clUHddz.png?1

Edited by DoktorFreizeit
  • Upvote 3

It's okay. the legs feel like they have a lot of "fluffy" or "artificial mass," that makes it look kind of ridiculous from any but a 3/4 perspective.

What I mean is that you've just stuck a lot of armor shells onto the sides of the legs to make them appear larger than they actually are; this has the opposite effect, making the legs feel more spindly and intricate in comparison to the body. Combine that with the two sets of knees and square booty it's got going on, and the MOC feels like it's about to crumple under its own weight should a stiff breeze roll along.

Maybe start by transposing the shin armor up to the thighs, attach by the sides, and stick the new armor plate onto it like in the attached image. DEFINITELY add something to the middle bone if possible.

That over-engineered codpiece isn't doing it any favors either and honestly it's kind of crass. One might as well add oversized breasts to Wairuha, considering that 1/3 of its components are female.clUHddz.png?1

I must agree. The legs look uncomfortably lumpy and awkward and it's appearance is so... masculine it's uncomfortable, especially seeing as it's 1/3 female. I would recommend simply stripping some of the excess armor from the shin and crotch and moving it to the thighs and shoulders. Edited by Bedrock1
  • Upvote 1

If the above post has offended you in any way, please send me a PM. It won't help, as I won't respond, but you may feel better afterwards, and keep your frustration to yourself instead of saying something stupid.

This is very impressive. As far as a kaita goes, this is one of the best I've seen! I really wish we could get something similiar from Lego...

Wow, this is amazing.

I cant believe it it it looks awesome!!!!!!!!

That is life

Thanks! 

I like the way the body of the LDD model is set so far in front of the legs, it inspires a sort of elegant yet robotic look, sort of like the Bohrok had. It translated really well into the finished model.

I bet it would look awesome in full gold.

...Or full silver, since that was Wairuha's traditional mask color in the story!

That's really cool.

There are a few things I would have done differently (Namely flipping the flippers around so it would make the feet look bigger) But it looks really nice.

Hmm, I hadn't considered doing that with the feet. But I just tested it out and I think I prefer them as they are. Glad you like the model!

Wait a sec, were the blue medium shells on the lower arms supposed to be one up and one down?

...nope. :mellow: I honestly have no idea how I didn't notice that either when taking the pictures or afterwards. I did end up removing both and reattaching them to face the same direction at some point, but I never realized that at one point I had one facing each way — let alone that they had been that way when I had taken photos of the model. :lookaround:

The armor on the sides of the legs isn't really to make them look bigger — it's just because I needed to use a pair of torso beams to get the length in the legs that I wanted, and shoulder and hip joints of those torso beams looked stuck out very obtrusively without any shells to cover them. The two joints for the knee are actually just supposed to represent a single knee joint in the front of the leg.

In my original concept (which I linked in the first post), I didn't need that because I had a second friction joint for the knee, so I could build the lower legs differently. But that didn't leave me any friction joints for the shoulders, and I ended up needing some, so I had to come up with a different solution for the knees. I think this solution works all right.

In my opinion, it looks just fine from front or side view, much better than any alternative I could come up with using the pieces from these three sets. You're welcome to create your own version of Wairuha once the sets are out.

I have no idea whatsoever what you mean about the... erm... booty.

The middle bone is better without an armor shell, because it is never supposed to bend upwards as sharply as you have it in that mock-up. It is supposed to be a fixed part of the lower leg. If there were a way to fasten it so that it rests at a fixed diagonal angle from the lower leg, I would do that, but there isn't any such option with the parts I had available.

I originally DID have the thigh armor closer to how you have it, and the result was an even more ridiculously bony look. And that was originally due to necessity rather than aesthetics, because when I made a physical version of my original LDD concept model, I discovered the armor on the lower body would not allow the legs a considerable range of movement in a front-facing configuration, rendering the gearbox pointless. Once I redesigned the armor on the lower body into less of a codpiece and more of a loincloth, my brohter pointed out that I could rearrange the armor on the upper legs into the current configuration, which looks much better to me than it would with the armor mounted on the side, no matter what shell I used.

That over-engineered codpiece isn't doing it any favors either and honestly it's kind of crass. One might as well add oversized breasts to Wairuha, considering that 1/3 of its components are female.

It is not a codpiece, it is not supposed to LOOK like a codpiece, and in my opinion it DOESN'T look like a codpiece. It is supposed to be more like a loincloth, and the idea of it looking masculine never once crossed my mind. If anything, it's supposed to be gender-neutral, though my goal has always been to make Akamai the more masculine of the Toa Kaita and Wairuha the more feminine, and I tried to reflect that here.

If you're reading any kind of crassness or masculinity into that aspect of the design then you are not at all comprehending my intent. And I can't say that's the fault of my design not being clear enough. If I wanted there to be a crotch bulge, the model would have a crotch bulge, but I didn't, and it doesn't.

I must agree. The legs look uncomfortably lumpy and awkward and it's appearance is so... masculine it's uncomfortable, especially seeing as it's 1/3 female. I would recommend simply stripping some of the excess armor from the shin and crotch and moving it to the thighs and shoulders.

I'm not entirely sure where you're seeing any kind of masculinity in the model. I took great care to make the model look feminine. It's not as overt as in my concept model, but the model still has shoulders only slightly wider than the hips, slender arms, and narrow lower legs. My plans for Akamai, on the other hand, are for a much beefier design: just compare my original digital concepts for Akamai and Wairuha.

Adding extra armor to the thighs would be nice, but it's not possible with the parts I have. I'm not sure what you think additional armor for the shoulders could possibly achieve — if anything, that would make the design more masculine, not less.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

It is not a codpiece, it is not supposed to LOOK like a codpiece, and in my opinion it DOESN'T look like a codpiece. It is supposed to be more like a loincloth, and the idea of it looking masculine never once crossed my mind. If anything, it's supposed to be gender-neutral, though my goal has always been to make Akamai the more masculine of the Toa Kaita and Wairuha the more feminine, and I tried to reflect that here.

If you're reading any kind of masculinity into that aspect of the design then you are not at all comprehending my intent. And I can't say that's the fault of my design not being clear enough. If I wanted there to be a crotch bulge, the model would have a crotch bulge, but I didn't, and it doesn't.

I'm sorry you're getting so rumbled over this, but that's what it looks like here. It's a giant articulated metal plate jutting down between its legs, for crying out loud. 

As far as intent goes, the second someone produces something and put it out for critique, their "intent" doesn't mean a thing. That's not my personal opinion, that's just how art works. The interpretations of the viewers supersede the intentions of the creator.

Anyway, I wasn't saying "Get rid of it, it disgusts me," I was just suggesting you downplay that part a bit. As it stands, the bright white shells on the sides combined with the larger center shell form an arrow that leads the eye directly to the groin. It's the peril you run when putting white over darker colors :/

I have no idea whatsoever what you mean about the... erm... booty.

Take a look at that rear-view, the gearbox forms a flat base that the legs jut off of at right angles. The rather narrow legs stuck to that blocky torso just look strange.

Sorry if you thought I was just (removed) all over your build, though. There are lots of aspects that work! The upper torso looks slick as all get out and the claws at the tops of the wings add a really nice touch.

But I critique builds, man, and another voice in the crowd shouting "OMG LOOKS GR8 M8 I R8 IT 8/8" isn't honest criticism. It's just pandering, and that's not what I'm about.

Edited by Tufi Piyufi
Inappropriate language removed.
  • Upvote 3