Set Review: 70795 Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder

Dakhann

Wow, I thought I'd have to wait a while to see reviews like this. All of the new/interesting pieces are gorgeous, and Ekimu just looks so great wearing the MoCr! I also love the design of Skull Grinder's mask, especially with the horns. And that translucent torso armor piece is just fantastic...Can't wait to see all these new parts used in MOCs.

I get the complaints about Ekimu's green eyestalk, but I think they work great, especially with the MoCr. Blue eyes would have blended in with the translucent armor pieces.

I really hope I can afford this guy, if only for the MoCr. Thanks for the review! (Seriously, nice review, the kind of quality I'd expect from an official BZP review and with great photography.)

Edited by Nescent

IetTsFQ.png

Hey! Thank you for positive feedback, it means a lot to me :) I paid 29.99€ for it so it shouldn't be bad in the states either. Next time I just need to prepare a better setting for shooting pictures. Thanks again :)

Edited by Dakhann

Very nice review! I love Ekimu's design, but Skull Grinder's is kind of meh. He still loks nice, but I will give him a revamp.

Also, Here's a great idea for Ekimu and POS. If you trade their eyestalks, they will have the same eye color from the animations.

Vote in the 2016 Set Poll! 3 Votes Maximum. http://strawpoll.me/6685187/r

Great review, Dakhann. Of all the summer sets, this was the one I had my eye on the most; and after seeing these figures built and posed, I'm that much more excited to purchase it! Thank you for reviewing it - I think you did great for your first review, I really have no complaints - and maybe you'll be reviewing some more in the future? ;)

Thanks Makaru for such positive feedback!

Now a question to all readers of this topic: Does anyone want me to review the rest of summer wave? 

Yes, please! 

Edited by Jakura Nuva

Yikes, I hadn't realized just how gappy Skull Grinder's torso was from the side. That's not a pleasant surprise. He's quite an imposing figure, though, and it's a bit surprising that he's only around the same height as Tahu (albeit with more of that extra height in his torso instead of his legs). His color scheme  is slightly less dynamic than many of the other Skull Villains since his red/Tr. Flu Reddish Orange parts function as his secondary color rather than as a separate accent color, but he definitely looks evil, no doubt about it. His horns add a lot of unique character to his mask, and his chest plate pattern feels very spooky.

Ekimu is also a very nice design. The muscular, compact design makes him feel a bit like a fantasy dwarf, which I suppose suits a master craftsman like himself. His articulation looks good, and it's cool how all his bones except his torso are transparent light blue! He's a great likeness of how he appeared in the animations. The eye color difference doesn't bother me too much. I imagine it was done that way so his eyes wouldn't match the transparent part of his Protector mask, but whatever the reason, his eyes can easily be swapped for the Protector of Stone's, as others have pointed out.

Thanks so much for this early review!

• Upvote 2

I know I'm getting repetetive but thanks soo much for so many positive comments! 

@Maskmaker of Light Exactly what I did

@doodleloot In France, Clermont-Ferrand but I heard that other cities had them too

@Jakura Nuva, Nescent Starting to work on 70791... 

PS: A question for review writers. How do you make images link directly to a bigger version? (without the "external site" notification?)

Edited by Dakhann
  • Upvote 1

Out of all the summer Bionicle sets, this is the one I know for sure that I will get. Ekimu looks great in it, and while I'm not the biggest fan of Skull Grinder, I still think he looks cool enough.

Thanks for the review!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

@admiraltyphoon you mean the shoulder addition? It stands out enough to fit every torso that I have (so 2.0, brain attack, breakout and the new spiky one too)

@sailorquaoar I have no idea what is a "proto boost" but I'm guessing it's something awesome :) I'm really glad that you liked it

Edited by Dakhann
  • Upvote 1

Can't wait to get this set. Everything looks great, but the pretty large hollow area in the chest. Great review!

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I really liked the review.

Ekimu looks amazing. No complaints.

Skull Grinder, however, leaves something to be desired. The chest gap is somewhat expected, but thankfully fixable. The legs also need work, namely they need to be longer and have more trans-orange color.

The Mask of Creation is awesome. Definitely geting this set.

Credit to Moist! from the Spectral Avohkii Enterprises for the super sig!

confusingbanner3.gif

^The Chronicles of Chandu: ElementElites, Ivu, Equinox. An epic written by cylex7^

"I applaud your valiant ways in the face of futility." - Makuta Kazyx, CoC

Chapter 6 of CoC ElementElites is up!!! Please review!

Skull Grinder isn't as solid as I thought he would be, but he's still cool nonetheless. I'm glad that this set comes with a nice, little mask stand. With it, the Mask of Creation is shown as a very special mask, as it should be.

UPDATE: My next review will be a bit late due to personal reasons (sorry :/)

For now, have an eye-candy to keep y'all excited 

sDzCm30b.jpg

Oh, this excites me. I can't wait to place it with my other Masks of Power.

I'm actually a little surprised by how that stand is made, considering I had thought it would be a much simpler construction using this piece. That's what I've been using for stands all this time, and personally I feel like it's much more effective.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm actually a little surprised by how that stand is made, considering I had thought it would be a much simpler construction using this piece. That's what I've been using for stands all this time, and personally I feel like it's much more effective.

It's a shame, because it's kind of sad to need this kinds of workarounds to make it work.

Came for the sets, stayed for the story.

It's a shame, because it's kind of sad to need this kinds of workarounds to make it work.

I'm confused? It's hardly "sad" how simple it is to create an effective stand for these masks. I've used the solution I posted for a full set of seven mask pedestals, which allow the masks to attach securely yet also be removed much more easily than a Technic cross axle would allow for. The solution this set uses seems much looser and less ideal, but what can you do? At least the new masks allow for multiple attachment options.

• Upvote 1

I'm confused? It's hardly "sad" how simple it is to create an effective stand for these masks. I've used the solution I posted for a full set of seven mask pedestals, which allow the masks to attach securely yet also be removed much more easily than a Technic cross axle would allow for. The solution this set uses seems much looser and less ideal, but what can you do? At least the new masks allow for multiple attachment options.

It's kind of sad the solution doesn't come out of the box and therefor you requiere to use some extra pieces

Came for the sets, stayed for the story.

Am I the only one who thinks the mask of creation looks a little big for Ekimu's body? 

Judging just from the photo in the starting post, I do agree that the mask looks a little big on Ekimu. My personal guess would be that the mask was sized to fit on a Toa-sized set, which is why it looks weird on a set with a Protector-sized body. I know that begs the question as to why it was included in this set then, and for that I have no idea. :P I just think it was made with the intent of a bigger set wearing it. 

• Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I don't think there are any size issues with Ekimu's mask. Apart from the "crown" (a common aesthetic feature of royalty or divinity), it's not significantly larger than the Protector or Toa masks.

Where did concerns about mask size even originate from, anyway? I don't think anyone cared about that during the classic theme's run (outside a few outliers like the Olisi). Yet I keep hearing complaints that the new masks are either too large or too small, when as far as I can tell the range of sizes is no greater than it ever has been.