X-Men: Discussion Topic

Krayzikk

@Kray

So basically all the hate on mutants is due to a certain number of them being stupid. Real smart.

Have you heard of a little group called the Brotherhood? You know, they busted everyone out of Riker's Island, toppled Enforcer Tower, and killed multiple news crews and highjacked their on air shows over the span of a few weeks.It isn't a small number. It's a significant number.And what you aren't taking into account, any of you, actually, is that the Enforcers aren't inherently out to kill mutants. They're out to kill unregistered mutants, and even then they do not go for the kill until the foe is shown to be hostile. If a mutant registers, they only face prejudice. And as history has shown us time and time again, prejudice can be beaten through nonviolent methods. But most of the PCs in this game are unregistered, and as a result, have made themselves enemies of society by their own choice.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Yep. Sort of like Islamophobia, except more extreme.And you have some interesting views.Why not take those viewsAnd put them in the motuh of a character?We could use a mutant Martin Luther King Jr.

DALLAS GREEN

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

All it takes is one Mutant going rogue and boom, hundreds of people dead. I for one, don't want their deaths weighing on my mind. The elmination of Mutants is the only option. It will save lives.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

In that case, Kray, then there is no need to slaughter all the mutants. Seems like a system that'd work if the general human population held up their deal by not being biased against these mutants.

In other words, in this RPG, the major factions are all stupid.

Tell me. If a rebellious teenager down the hall had the ability to make things blow up by looking at them, would you be concerned?All of the characters in this RPG save a few? They consciously chose to be targets. The system is in place, and bias will exist regardless. Until newer generations accept them, that's just a fact. Even now, bias exists in the world that you're claiming is the model of what it should look like.

And you can call the factions stupid when you actually have any experience with them to go by. :P

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

All it takes is one Mutant going rogue and boom, hundreds of people dead. I for one, don't want their deaths weighing on my mind. The elmination of Mutants is the only option. It will save lives.

Maybe so...but how? Sure if you have the tools and brains you can take out all the mutants on Earth...but then more are going to be born. Going to kill them too? Kill babies in their crib? Going to kill everyone who might even be carrying a mutative gene, like people with red hair? Its a war you cannot win. You'd have to kill everyone on the planet, and would lose popular opinion and be stopped by someone long before that

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Maybe so...but how? Sure if you have the tools and brains you can take out all the mutants on Earth...but then more are going to be born. Going to kill them too? Kill babies in their crib? Going to kill everyone who might even be carrying a mutative gene, like people with red hair? Its a war you cannot win. You'd have to kill everyone on the planet, and would lose popular opinion and be stopped by someone long before that

Gene therapy. Suspended animation until a cure is found. There are options. The second the X-Gene is found, a cure is given. Or a power-restraint collar or killchip or whatever is implanted. Humanity must be kept safe.

I'll win this war if I have to build an army of giant robots to patrol the ci-oh wait....

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Indeed. Its making me wonder that if the majority of the X-Men shouldn't just register with the Enforcers so they'd possibly be more tolerated and could maybe even fight on the same side XD.

Though there would be the few who couldn't register and would have to hide out at the mansion: John, Matt and Alex.

While it would be easier, it wouldn't necessarily solve as many problems as they would like. They would still be looked down upon for being so different, and, if not tested upon to try and remove the mutant strain, at best, they'd be corralled into some settlement like lower beings, or used as weapons. Or it could go differently. But I don't personally believe it would.

Edited by .:Advent Aeternale:.

~Totally like a boomerang. I always come back. Just never when you want me to.~

Well if nothing else, hopefully the Enforcers won't be treated as a bunch of thugs who just want to beat up on the poor Mutants. :P

Edited by Basilisk

I think the point of view on the Enforcers comes entirely down to the way they're RPd. I haven't been party to a single Enforcer/Mutant conflict where good communication has occurred, and the Enforcers weren't under orders to practically be hostile on arrival.

Edited by .:Advent Aeternale:.

I think the point of view on the Enforcers comes entirely down to the way they're RPd. I haven't been party to a single Enforcer/Mutant conflict where good communication has occurred, and the Enforcers weren't under orders to practically be hostile on arrival.

Riker's Island, the Enforcers were sent to stop the fight, and keep the prisoners in prison. Upon arriving they gave a warning to all participates to cease and desist, the others didn't listen.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Right. I'm booored.

Would anyone mind if I retcon Yuri's destination?

Furthermore, does anyone have a character with plausible reason for meeting with him in New York?

That's not an example of good communication. The Enforcers resorted to threats immediately upon arrival, and while I'm not condemning their actions, as they were dealing with criminals and escaping prisoners, they didn't try to communicate diplomatically or well in any fashion. It was sort of:

"Get back in there, or we'll shoot ya."

"Blarghle."

"Well, we tried. Kill 'em dead."

Right. I'm booored.

Would anyone mind if I retcon Yuri's destination?

Furthermore, does anyone have a character with plausible reason for meeting with him in New York?

I don't see a reason why you can't move Yuri. I have no characters with a plausible reason to meet him, though.

That's not an example of good communication. The Enforcers resorted to threats immediately upon arrival, and while I'm not condemning their actions, as they were dealing with criminals and escaping prisoners, they didn't try to communicate diplomatically or well in any fashion. It was sort of: "Get back in there, or we'll shoot ya." "Blarghle." "Well, we tried. Kill 'em dead."

So if a murderer escapes you negotiate? I'm pretty sure law enforcement arrests those who escape, not "Let's settle this over a cup of tea."They were locked into prison, the enforcers at Riker's Island were trying to keep them there. Killing was only if containment wasn't possible.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Thanks!

....So anyone...anyone at all? I can even change the city location if need be.

Edited by Basilisk

That's not an example of good communication. The Enforcers resorted to threats immediately upon arrival, and while I'm not condemning their actions, as they were dealing with criminals and escaping prisoners, they didn't try to communicate diplomatically or well in any fashion. It was sort of: "Get back in there, or we'll shoot ya." "Blarghle." "Well, we tried. Kill 'em dead."

So if a murderer escapes you negotiate? I'm pretty sure law enforcement arrests those who escape, not "Let's settle this over a cup of tea."They were locked into prison, the enforcers at Riker's Island were trying to keep them there. Killing was only if containment wasn't possible.

Like I said, I'm not condemning what was done. The Enforcers were dealing with criminals and escapees. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna sit here and act like that's an example of good communication. Especially since some of those that the Enforcers were dealing with were not of the opinion that they were on the wrong or evil side, regardless of whether or not they actually were.

Thanks! ....So anyone...anyone at all? I can even change the city location if need be.

What sort of meeting is Yuri going for anyhow?

Likely something to do with law enforcement, intelligence, military matters etc. Anything like that really.

I would assume that they would have names on-hand to.

Also, with just fingerprints and names, you'd be able to a good deal of damage to any mutants that you don't particularly care for. Especially the whole 'public database' part. That pretty much gets my goat over it. Now, if it had restricted access to only government officials, or Enforcer members, then more mutants would be OK with it...

Enforcers = Purifiers

I would assume that they would have names on-hand to. Also, with just fingerprints and names, you'd be able to a good deal of damage to any mutants that you don't particularly care for. Especially the whole 'public database' part. That pretty much gets my goat over it. Now, if it had restricted access to only government officials, or Enforcer members, then more mutants would be OK with it... Enforcers = Purifiers

I was under the impression that access to the database was restricted to specific government agencies.

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

I would assume that they would have names on-hand to.

Also, with just fingerprints and names, you'd be able to a good deal of damage to any mutants that you don't particularly care for. Especially the whole 'public database' part. That pretty much gets my goat over it. Now, if it had restricted access to only government officials, or Enforcer members, then more mutants would be OK with it...

Enforcers = Purifiers

It isn't something you can access as a citizen. Only government officials can view it, and along similar lines, it is something that would have to be presented to a prospective employer. Similar to disabilities, or personal records.

In other words, your point is invalid. :P Mangekyou: Yes, names are included in the entries.

fK5oqYf.jpg

His point would be invalid regardless. I'd very much like to know if there was someone capable of wiping out my entire block near me. Safety of the many comes first.

after reading all of this, would it not be simpler to just give mutants, say, the moon? or something similar? get them off planet. They live, Humanity is safe. It's that or the genocide of an entire race of people. City levelers? sure, kill them. but what about mutants with more defensive abilities? PreCogs, for example. they don't have the power that some one like Magento had, or QuickSilver does.

Edited by thelonewander

War...war never changes.

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

-Rise Against, Re-Education (through Labor)

Precogs could bring ruin to the stock market or otherwise destabilize the world. Leaving any Mutant with powers, in any position where they could challenge humanity, is too much of a risk.

Edited by Basilisk

Well, if we're gonna kill anything that could play the stock market...

-Tyler

The difference between a precog and the normal type of slime that plays the Stock Market is much like the difference between a planet killing torpedo and a cannon.

Edited by Basilisk

Except you're pretty much chalking it up to "a mutant is like every problem in the world, except the problems are BIGGER" and it's coming off as paranoia at this point by registering all the stuff mutants could do.

I mean, seriously. I could set a huge fire with a good bit of kerosene and the right match, just like a pyrokinetic. Sure, it takes less effort, but the point is that most sane, rational people aren't going to set the fire in the first place. Ditto for playing the stock market, which no one wants in on even if they can read it because then there definitely will be government suits watching you.

Yes, left unchecked, mutants could be a problem. But not as big of one as you're making them out to be at this stage of the argument.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

after reading all of this, would it not be simpler to just give mutants, say, the moon? or something similar? get them off planet. They live, Humanity is safe. It's that or the genocide of an entire race of people. City levelers? sure, kill them. but what about mutants with more defensive abilities? PreCogs, for example. they don't have the power that some one like Magento had, or QuickSilver does.

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert A. Heinlein. Read it, it'll serve you well.

To sum up the point, banishing your unwantables to the moon never, ever, ends well.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong