What is the worst thing lego could do with bionicle 2015?

masterchirox580

Yes. I'd love a continuation and will be irritated if it isn't, but what would put me off completely is if they made it as childish and two-dimensional and corny as the other Lego story-based themes. 

They need to keep the same depth of story and character for me to engage with it. The story doesn't have to be quite as complex, but if it's over-simplified like other themes are, I will not be happy. 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

A lot of things could go wrong; they could get writers that aren't really interested in keeping the entire Universe cohesive and just begin retconning major plot points, the story could come out as one-dimensional and childish, etc.

Here's a suggestion: instead of thinking what could go wrong, let's just wait and see. We have too little information to make any accurate predictions.

Edited by Riglax

Yes. I'd love a continuation and will be irritated if it isn't, but what would put me off completely is if they made it as childish and two-dimensional and corny as the other Lego story-based themes. 

They need to keep the same depth of story and character for me to engage with it. The story doesn't have to be quite as complex, but if it's over-simplified like other themes are, I will not be happy.

Which story-based themes are YOU talking about? Because while Ninjago may be childish (as it should be, being a childrens' toy), and may indulge in corny humor, it's definitely not "two-dimensional". It's established a great number of characters and I would say that the main characters in particular have undergone more character development than the Toa Mata experienced throughout Bionicle's entire ten-year lifespan, in less than half that time. I'd say that's far from "over-simplified". And if you think The Lego Movie was in any way "two-dimensional"... well, I wouldn't want to be you in that case, let's leave it at that.

Bionicle's story was the first story Lego went all-out with, but I think writing off the entirety of what Lego's done since Bionicle is doing them a serious disservice. None of the subsequent themes have been quite like Bionicle, it's true—but that doesn't mean they're worse, and in fact the lessons learned from Bionicle have helped many of their more recent stories surpass it in one way or another.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The worst thing? Oh, gosh, that's a tricky one.

• Using brittle plastic that melts in direct sunlight and is full of carcinogens.
  • Releasing all the story information exclusively via betamax, laserdisk, and 8-track tape.
  • Masks that must be glued on.
  • Advertising campaigns endorsing totalitarian dictatorships around the world.
  • Only distributing sets to people who mail in a certain number of specially-labeled cereal box tops.
  • Replacing all the elements with sour fruit flavors.
  • Space Jam crossover.
  • Rebranding the theme as "BIONIwiki, the free online storyline that anyone can edit".
  • All the books can only be read with a BIONICLE decoder ring (sold separately).
  • Comics illustrated by zoo animals as an enrichment exercise.
  • Canisters that don't stop screaming when they're opened.
Gosh, you people have no imagination

Not sure if sarcastic... or using metaphors. I understood some of the things there are actually exaggerations of things that happened. XD

The worst thing? Say it was all a joke and not release any sets or story.

I WAS gonna say "complete reboot with an all-new canon and absolutely no connections to Bionicle 2001-2011", but then I saw this comment.

When Digimon rebooted the same way in 2002 I completely lost interest in it. I fear I'd likely do the same if Bionicle rebooted.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

The worst thing? Oh, gosh, that's a tricky one.

• Using brittle plastic that melts in direct sunlight and is full of carcinogens.
  • Releasing all the story information exclusively via betamax, laserdisk, and 8-track tape.
  • Masks that must be glued on.
  • Advertising campaigns endorsing totalitarian dictatorships around the world.
  • Only distributing sets to people who mail in a certain number of specially-labeled cereal box tops.
  • Replacing all the elements with sour fruit flavors.
  • Space Jam crossover.
  • Rebranding the theme as "BIONIwiki, the free online storyline that anyone can edit".
  • All the books can only be read with a BIONICLE decoder ring (sold separately).
  • Comics illustrated by zoo animals as an enrichment exercise.
  • Canisters that don't stop screaming when they're opened.
Gosh, you people have no imagination

Not sure if sarcastic... or using metaphors. I understood some of the things there are actually exaggerations of things that happened. XD

No, having helped him come up with several of those I can safely say he meant all of them to be ridiculous things which had never happened and never would. Some of them are based on common fan gripes (like brittle plastic, or allowing anyone to add to the story), but even those are amplified to a ludicrous extent that ensures that there is zero chance of them ever happening (Does anyone actually think Lego would choose to create plastic that melts in the sun?). The topic did specify "worst" thing that Lego could do—compared to these, worries about kid-friendly storytelling or a lack of classic parts seem quite tame, don't you think?

• Upvote 2

I WAS gonna say "complete reboot with an all-new canon and absolutely no connections to Bionicle 2001-2011", but then I saw this comment.

When Digimon rebooted the same way in 2002 I completely lost interest in it. I fear I'd likely do the same if Bionicle rebooted.

It's a good thing LEGO cares more about pleasing new and open-minded fans than if picky, closed-minded fans stick around.

• Upvote 1

It's a good thing LEGO cares more about pleasing new and open-minded fans than if picky, closed-minded fans stick around.

Then why even bother relaunching Bionicle? Hero Factory had a recently new fanbase.

Then why even bother relaunching Bionicle? Hero Factory had a recently new fanbase.

Because they felt they had used all potential for Hero Factory, and had new ideas for Bionicle? Yes, fan requests for its return were taken into account, but LEGO is not doing this solely to please old fans, and as far as longevity of the line is concerned, open-minded new fans are better than picky, impossible-to-please old fans any day.

• Upvote 2

i think the worst thing that could happen is if they made matoran all look exactly the same and got rid of all the interesting rahi in favor of an assortment of creatures that all look the same and lack personality.

basically the worst that could happen is lazy set designs lol. i always liked the unique builds of each story arc

bionicle_logo_compressed.png?l.r=-186523

Not rebooting the story would be a thousand times over the worst thing possible.

~B~

Rebooting the story would do nothing but make it more complicated and confusing for old and new fans. A continuation would've been much better.  

...are we talking the same things here? A reboot means that the old story no longer matters; it's a fresh start. it is impossible for a clearly-presented reboot to be confusing, or at least not merely by virtue of being a reboot.

On the other hand, a continuation would require new fans catching up on ten years of story that cannot be learned from any one source of media and was convoluted and over-detailed.

• Upvote 2

a continuation, probably

- keeps the massive, convoluted and underdeveloped world that has so many things to recall and categorize from it, most of which are useless side-details rarely revisited.

- keeps the wretched gender restrictions on matoran tribes and reinforces the 1/6 female rule

- new, young fans would easily be turned off by the massive wealth of information they would have to consume in a dry manner in order to accurately comprehend what is going on in the story that's being sold to them.

- parents, younger kids, would likely not respond well to the grittier, darker aspects of Bionicle (which I'm not sure stopped with bara magna or continued) -- ie: Pridak's bloodstained face.

- you have a ton of characters, most of whom are poorly developed, explained, and have the personality of a rock or a common trope

- lacks a unique identity to draw people in, as it basically turned into a run of the mill sci-fi that slowly started to weed out the concepts of mysticism and mystery that permeated the early story for it (which is what drew in a lot of fans, initially)

- incredibly repetitive

I don't want them to be like the Mask of Life never existed, the Bohroks didn't exist, there was no Makuta threat.

Lego isn't erasing them from existing. They will always be with the old Bionicle story. And who knows? No one has said that rebooted versions of them won't be in the new Bionicle. Its possible that they could return, just under different story circumstances and with different versions of them. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Upvote 4

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I don't know about the worst thing, but I can think of a few things. For example, if they were to make it a one-time thing and then end it for good. Or maybe if they were to reboot the entire storyline and make all previous lore null and void. I'd be pretty upset about those things.

• Upvote 2

I think that it would be horrible if they didn't give the characters any personality or made them very little kiddish. Also I wish they would stop talking about destiny because that's a very awkward topic and incredibly stupid idea right there. Destiny seems more prohibitive than helpful to me.

Not rebooting the story would be a thousand times over the worst thing possible.

~B~

Rebooting the story would do nothing but make it more complicated and confusing for old and new fans. A continuation would've been much better.
...are we talking the same things here? A reboot means that the old story no longer matters; it's a fresh start. it is impossible for a clearly-presented reboot to be confusing, or at least not merely by virtue of being a reboot.

On the other hand, a continuation would require new fans catching up on ten years of story that cannot be learned from any one source of media and was convoluted and over-detailed.

Guys, people on both sides of that preference issue IMO should stop exaggerating and warring over it. There are good and bad ways to do both.

And more to the point, if you turn it into a "the other option is horribule!!!1!" thing... guess what? LEGO has to pick one or the other, so you're just setting yourself up for disappointment (we just don't yet know which side gets the disappointment, but the side that gets the type of return they want should also not be acting like that is confirmation that they were right their way is extremely better than the other).

To a specific: the idea that a continuation (defined here as taking place in the future of the same continuity, though some have called that a "time-jump reboot", including Greg) has to review old story has been debunked quite a while ago. All they have to do is make new story about new things, and if something does end up being relevant, find a way to show it in-story gradually. Remember that old story also had a rich history behind it that we didn't need to see explained in detail in 2001; the rest of the story explained it.

Also, I believe what Toa Chronix is probably referring to is that a new continuity reboot creates the confusion of needing to always specify which continuity we're referring to. As much as there has been dislike of the over-complexity, there's also been dislike of having more than one timeline for Bionicle, so a better way (probably) to solve both issues is simply to have future story be simple, but set in the future. ^_^

Also I wish they would stop talking about destiny because that's a very awkward topic and incredibly stupid idea right there. Destiny seems more prohibitive than helpful to me.

Please don't insult what you don't understand... I wouldn't mind if they went a different direction for new story, but it isn't stupid. Of course, I'm obviously biased. :P But that's actually the point; don't confuse a taste of yours with an objective judgment. It's good to wish they didn't do it based on your preference, but realize that if most fans like it, they probably actually should use it. (Although I personally kind of hope they don't, just so my twist on it in my retelling won't be contradicted lol.) Plus, if your dislike is based on a misunderstanding, you might actually come to like it. :) I think unique story franchises are wise to enter territory other stories don't even if some people will be tempted to call it bad because it's not what they're used to -- the alternative is all stories end up being cookie-cutter; basically the same.

As for your last point, I'm curious what you mean. :) Could you elaborate?

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

As for your last point, I'm curious what you mean. Could you elaborate?

not to put words in anyone's mouths but in my opinion destiny erases all sense of free will...

there's no real unity or duty if you think about it because, according to destiny, all of the characters are either 'destined' to be virtuous or 'destined' to be villians.....

bionicle_logo_compressed.png?l.r=-186523

in my opinion destiny erases all sense of free will...

Well, one problem with that is that Greg said destiny in alternate universes can be different. He's called it just what's supposed to happen or what ends up happening. It's complicated; there isn't necessarily one single canon answer. But erasing free will does not seem to be what they have in mind as far as I recall.

Normally people would tend to call that "fate", BTW, as opposed to destiny. :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

This is what would ruin it for me, so it's early next January, I just got a big amazon package and I open Lewa, and what's inside is not the pieces but instead is a pile of SD cards, so I plug the SD cards into my computer and each one is a clip of a lego exec laughing at the screen. I assume it was a mistake and decide to open another one, what's inside is the same, then another one and it's the same thing, I then hear mass reports of this, lego comes with a statement saying "ha ha we got you all, no one is to receive these sets until January 2030, in the mean time we're going to release another theme, we are proud to introduce lego galidor meets Ben 10. The whole year would be ruined for me.

Given the current bios and animations and the whole cartoon theme, it's looking kinda childish at this point :/

I'd disagree, sure there are some things such as Kopaka being clumsy and Pohatu being afraid of the dark, but for the most half they're pretty much the same as their original personalities.

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

looking kinda childish

It's for kids. :)

• Upvote 3

The worst thing they could do is say that Kopaka is clumsy. Oh wait... They have...

Oh, of course. Silly Lego, giving their characters realistic flaws in an effort to make them more relatable. We aren't supposed to be able to laugh at the characters of a children's toyline.

• Upvote 4

I'll admit that one threw me for a loop, given the portrayal of Kopaka 03 as able to hold his own against six count 'em six Rahkshi. The other ones seem plausible though, perhaps as weaknesses that the old story never brought out as much. It definitely wouldn't make much sense to recycle all the exact same weaknesses. That way both old fans would be tired of it, and new fans if they ever looked into old story would be more tired of that too.

• Upvote 1

The worst possible thing they could do?

Introduce a Human male preteen who discovers that he is the Chosen One destined to save Otoko, and must receive help from his bestest best buddies the Masters!

*shudders*

Dang, Aanchir and I should've thought of that one. :P

• Upvote 1

Introduce a Human male preteen who discovers that he is the Chosen One destined to save Otoko, and must receive help from his bestest best buddies the Masters!

*shudders*

Dang, Aanchir and I should've thought of that one. :P

;)

*shudders*

Presenting bionicle the live action movie, directed by Micheal Bay.

45% of screen time is dedicated to the United States Military fighting the Skull Spiders, 15% of screen time is dedicated to explosions, 30% of screen time dedicated to the kid and 10% is dedicated to the Masters.

• Upvote 3

The worst thing they could do is say that Kopaka is clumsy. Oh wait... They have...

Oh, of course. Silly Lego, giving their characters realistic flaws in an effort to make them more relatable. We aren't supposed to be able to laugh at the characters of a children's toyline.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for flaws and characterozation but that just doesn't for my views of his character. Its just a small gripe, I mean isn't he suppose to be ice blading down mountins

Don't get me wrong I'm all for flaws and characterozation but that just doesn't for my views of his character. Its just a small gripe, I mean isn't he suppose to be ice blading down mountins

After enough practice, I could march a 15 minute show with minimal errors.

At the same time (that's a turn of phrase, this never happened to me in marching band), I sometimes trip over my own two feet.

Clumsiness works in funny ways sometimes. You can be elegant at some times and walk into a glass door the next.

• Upvote 2