The Journey to One: First Episodes Discussion

GSR

I mean that the Toa have to be all "poopy cowabunga dudes!" They show no signs at all of being even remotely serious about their mission. Even the 2015 2D animations were better in terms of balancing out the seriousness and humor.

i think, then, the ninja themed television show you're referring to has a bit more...   carapace, than Ninjago. :u

Edited by Rahkshi Lalonde
  • Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I'm not sure how I feel about JTO. Although they're aesthetically pleasing and do well at product placement (and advertising the play features) they're just lacking in quality. I think it is a mistake to fall into the trap of poor quality writing and story telling for a kids show. I loved Gen 1 so much growing up as a kid because I felt like the story was engaging and complex, and there was so much to explore and learn about. It's a shame there hasn't been quite as much effort in that department for the reboot. 

• Upvote 2

bouhjie

People keep saying that JtO is cringey, but I have to ask, is it really as bad as the 2015 animations level of cringe? If not, than we should stop complaining about it. Grant it, I haven't seen any of the episodes, so I wouldn't know. I'm just coming at this from the view that one guy on the outside looking in, and all I can see and hear is complaining and moaning. So I have to ask, is it really all that bad? Is it as bad as the 2015 animations? Is it as bad as TLR? Surely it can't be that bad, can it?

In any case, the show will improve. Look at Ninjago, that show started off pretty rough and cringey, but now look at it, it's a top notch show, enjoyable by both parent and child, the last time I saw an episode I thoroughly enjoyed it, so if Ninjago is anything to go off of in terms of show development and improvement, than with such a large and dedicated fanbase such as BIONICLE, who's to say if it won't get better?

Ninjago storywise is quite a bit jumbled and all over the place, but I feel if it wheren't for the show, everything would just seem sort of like HF was, every year being different and vaguely connected from the last, and when it came to story opportunity and possibility, it was just all thrown away with HF and just how disconnected it was with itself. Whilst with Ninjago, despite how jumbled and all over the place it is, it still manages to keep face, and be very compitant in it's own ability, despite how distraught everything seems. Now, with that being said, who's to say if the same wouldn't happen with BIONICLE? It may look bad now, heck it might even be bad now, but given time the characters will define themselves, their actions personailities more logical, and over all it will improve, of course, giving feedback on things is fine, and discussing them is absolutely fine, thats why BZPower is here to begin with, to discuss things, but the more and more I read the posts in this topic, I just can't shake this sort of complaining that seems to be going around, instead of just looking at past examples reading in to, and knowing that if they did it once, they can do it again, relative to the show at hand it will improve.

• Upvote 2

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I actually think that the show is better than most people here seem to claim... it may not be great in terms of story, but at least it's far better than any of the Hero Factory movies. The animation looks great and the existence of last year's story is acknowledged, which is more than we got from Hero Factory. The only thing that breaks the continuity is that the Toa's personalities have completely changed... that's something I'm not happy with.

The main problem with the Journey to One, though, is that it's overly goofy. I have nothing against humor, but goofiness is another thing entirely. G1 had plenty of humor too, but think back to 2001 and 2002, and you'll notice that the story still took itself seriously. Humor was always present on some level, but it wasn't goofy... it was a story that wasn't downplayed for the young audience. It was intelligent. G2 does many things right, but I don't appreciate them kiddifying (is that a word?) the story to Hero Factory level. It may be understandable, but not necessary. 

• Upvote 2

I actually think that the show is better than most people here seem to claim... it may not be great in terms of story, but at least it's far better than any of the Hero Factory movies. The animation looks great and the existence of last year's story is acknowledged, which is more than we got from Hero Factory. The only thing that breaks the continuity is that the Toa's personalities have completely changed... that's something I'm not happy with.

The main problem with the Journey to One, though, is that it's overly goofy. I have nothing against humor, but goofiness is another thing entirely. G1 had plenty of humor too, but think back to 2001 and 2002, and you'll notice that the story still took itself seriously. Humor was always present on some level, but it wasn't goofy... it was a story that wasn't downplayed for the young audience. It was intelligent. G2 does many things right, but I don't appreciate them kiddifying (is that a word?) the story to Hero Factory level. It may be understandable, but not necessary. 

Hold it right there. There was plenty of "goofiness" in the early years of Bionicle. Kapura's fire farts, Pohatu having a bunch of sheep magnetized to him, Hafu turning a rock fall into a sculpture of himself, Lewa getting his infected mask knocked off by getting hit in the face with a bug, Taipu's blissful naivete... the list goes on and on.

There's room to argue that the humor of Journey to One isn't as effective as a lot of the humor in G1, but let's not pretend that Bionicle never engaged in cheap gags and jokes, even in the early years. In fact, I'd argue that early media like the Mata Nui Online Game that DIDN'T take itself 100% seriously have aged a heck of a lot better than things like the early comics that generally did. The former remains charming and filled with personality, while the latter tends to come across as dry and pretentious.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

People keep saying that JtO is cringey, but I have to ask, is it really as bad as the 2015 animations level of cringe? If not, than we should stop complaining about it. Grant it, I haven't seen any of the episodes, so I wouldn't know. I'm just coming at this from the view that one guy on the outside looking in, and all I can see and hear is complaining and moaning. So I have to ask, is it really all that bad? Is it as bad as the 2015 animations? Is it as bad as TLR? Surely it can't be that bad, can it?

I was actually going to respond to this part of your post without reading the rest as a sort of satire about you semi-defending Journey to One without having seen it. But I ended up skimming the rest of your post anyway.

I'll start off by saying I really didn't enjoy most of the animations. I watched them as soon as I heard they came out, yeah, but only because that was literally the only form of storytelling we had at the time. "Story" telling.

ahem.

Anyway, I definitely consider this a good deal worse than the animations, and far worse than the final G1 movie (which I also quite despised). And I think my reasoning for it is the purpose behind them. As I already said, the animations were the only form of storytelling. They were (as I see it) just intended for the purpose of showing us the base story and characters. I mean, they were ninety seconds long, so that's about all they could do. (I'd argue that a better writer, narrator, musician, and animator could've pretty easily made those ninety seconds give a far deeper look into the world, but I won't bother. Oh, I guess I just did that anyway.)

But the show was a "long" (in comparison) format thing, and as such they had way more of a chance to really dive into stuff. But they don't, at all! Each mini-quest which could've been interesting and been used to give depth to characters instead gets cut down to about five minutes, if that. When the Toa...

Ugh, I probably have to put this in spoiler tags so someone doesn't get mad at me, as obvious as it is.

When the Toa go to search for their Creatures, they encounter virtually no problems along the way. They each find their Creature almost immediately. The only "catch" along the way is Lewa having to fight Umarak, but that's more just to introduce him as a character than anything else. The entire "search for the Creatures" quest is less than half of the episode.

But compare that to, say, the Toa Metru searching for the Kanoka disks, which honestly is a very similar quest. In the movie, yeah, there wasn't much to it, but that's because the actual story of it included the whole Morbuzakh saga which would've basically doubled the length of the movie. But that didn't really matter, because we had the comics to tell us the real story going on. In the comics, which were far more accessible than the movie, they went into both the Kanoka search and the Morbuzakh saga in depth, added some mystery, took time to explore Metru Nui, and so on.

So I really wouldn't mind the show skimping on potential story/character/world development at all if we had something else that went deeper into the quest and expanded on them instead, filling out the basic story. But we don't have that! (unless you count the books, which I don't, because they aren't easily accessible) The show is really the only thing through which we can learn about the story, world, and characters in-depth right now, but it didn't do that at all.

Whew. I meant this to be like a one or two paragraph response. Whoops.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I don't want to become the guy who is all like "G1 was better than G2!" but as I said early; Journey to One wasn't that impressive. It has taken a lot of my enthusiasm out of the Bionicle reboot. A LOT of enthusiasm out of my view on the reboot. I think part of that comes from how before JtO came out I was expecting to see something that would have built up G2's lore. Instead I feel like I spent an hour watching a drawn out advertisement. 

I'll still keep an eye on G2; and if the story improves I'll be all in for it. But I definitely don't feel as excited to get most of the sets as I did last year. If 2017 follows the same beat I might just buy the sets that have the Mask of Ultimate Power and the Mask of Time; but that might be pretty much it. 

And I know that nostalgia clouds my vision of G1, and that I am not viewing this as a kid would; but I still feel strongly G2 needs to desperately step up its game. I was not to upset when G1 finished in 2010 because I had lost interest in it; and if G2 stays its current course I might feel the same way about it.

• Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I was actually going to respond to this part of your post without reading the rest as a sort of satire about you semi-defending Journey to One without having seen it. But I ended up skimming the rest of your post anyway.

I'll start off by saying I really didn't enjoy most of the animations. I watched them as soon as I heard they came out, yeah, but only because that was literally the only form of storytelling we had at the time. "Story" telling.

ahem.

Anyway, I definitely consider this a good deal worse than the animations, and far worse than the final G1 movie (which I also quite despised). And I think my reasoning for it is the purpose behind them. As I already said, the animations were the only form of storytelling. They were (as I see it) just intended for the purpose of showing us the base story and characters. I mean, they were ninety seconds long, so that's about all they could do. (I'd argue that a better writer, narrator, musician, and animator could've pretty easily made those ninety seconds give a far deeper look into the world, but I won't bother. Oh, I guess I just did that anyway.)

But the show was a "long" (in comparison) format thing, and as such they had way more of a chance to really dive into stuff. But they don't, at all! Each mini-quest which could've been interesting and been used to give depth to characters instead gets cut down to about five minutes, if that. When the Toa...

Ugh, I probably have to put this in spoiler tags so someone doesn't get mad at me, as obvious as it is.

When the Toa go to search for their Creatures, they encounter virtually no problems along the way. They each find their Creature almost immediately. The only "catch" along the way is Lewa having to fight Umarak, but that's more just to introduce him as a character than anything else. The entire "search for the Creatures" quest is less than half of the episode.

But compare that to, say, the Toa Metru searching for the Kanoka disks, which honestly is a very similar quest. In the movie, yeah, there wasn't much to it, but that's because the actual story of it included the whole Morbuzakh saga which would've basically doubled the length of the movie. But that didn't really matter, because we had the comics to tell us the real story going on. In the comics, which were far more accessible than the movie, they went into both the Kanoka search and the Morbuzakh saga in depth, added some mystery, took time to explore Metru Nui, and so on.

So I really wouldn't mind the show skimping on potential story/character/world development at all if we had something else that went deeper into the quest and expanded on them instead, filling out the basic story. But we don't have that! (unless you count the books, which I don't, because they aren't easily accessible) The show is really the only thing through which we can learn about the story, world, and characters in-depth right now, but it didn't do that at all.

Whew. I meant this to be like a one or two paragraph response. Whoops.

I'm not sure if what I just read was correct... Or just confused me because it is slanted to the right......

In anycase, I haven't seen the episodes yet, all I'm saying is that I'm on the outside looking and what I'm saying is that I see a lot of negativity. But also, by the way you worded it, it's seems that you said that TLR was better than the 2015 animations. I am even more confused now than I was before.... Thanks ._. ..... (No offence)

In anycase, the comparison to the Kanoka disks and the Creatures is a rather valid one, however, when you really think about it, there really isn't much to Okoto in terms of large scale hazards that we're aware of, the only real threat facing the Toa would be the Shadow Traps, but by how it sounds, not even those where really a threat.

Also, I wasn't defending the animations at all, I was just addressing my concerns that everybody seems to be very angry about the animations, when I just wanted to give some food for thought relative to the progression of the animations, just saying that they may be bad now, but they'll get better, and that perhaps it isn't that bad, it certainly can't be. I mean for one the style is better, but of course thats not enough to justify it's validity storytelling wise. Of course some things won't make sence, but we have to remember to keep things at a civil and logical level, not let our emotions get the best of us, I'm just saying that we shouldn't all be so salty so soon after the first episodes have come out.

Instead I feel like I spent an hour watching a drawn out advertisement.

Wasn't that all that TLR was? *chuckles*

Edited by Toa Imrukii
  • Upvote 2

pure_muscle.png

Anybody else notice a resemblance between JTO and the 2005 Hordika Animations?

True and the Piraka animations a bit also but still i think this animation is good but i still have a problem with the Protector of Fire in the prologue i mean wheres his mouth where IS IT!?

That was one of the few things that bothered me. Knowing the mechanics of the heads underneath, the added throat piece didn't quite seem to work. This is particularly noticeable with the protectors, since their masks usually leave part of their heads uncovered--but not here!

I would much rather have this than have mouths and grotesque purple muscles that bulge out of their armor. 

bZpOwEr

-snip-

I'm not sure if what I just read was correct... Or just confused me because it is slanted to the right......

In anycase, I haven't seen the episodes yet, all I'm saying is that I'm on the outside looking and what I'm saying is that I see a lot of negativity. But also, by the way you worded it, it's seems that you said that TLR was better than the 2015 animations. I am even more confused now than I was before.... Thanks ._. ..... (No offence)

In anycase, the comparison to the Kanoka disks and the Creatures is a rather valid one, however, when you really think about it, there really isn't much to Okoto in terms of large scale hazards that we're aware of, the only real threat facing the Toa would be the Shadow Traps, but by how it sounds, not even those where really a threat.

Also, I wasn't defending the animations at all, I was just addressing my concerns that everybody seems to be very angry about the animations, when I just wanted to give some food for thought relative to the progression of the animations, just saying that they may be bad now, but they'll get better, and that perhaps it isn't that bad, it certainly can't be. I mean for one the style is better, but of course thats not enough to justify it's validity storytelling wise. Of course some things won't make sence, but we have to remember to keep things at a civil and logical level, not let our emotions get the best of us, I'm just saying that we shouldn't all be so salty so soon after the first episodes have come out.

No, I don't know if I'd consider TLR any better than the animations, I just meant that I despised it slightly less. :P

What you say about us not knowing any large scale hazards on Okoto is a decent point, but I wouldn't say it exactly defends sloppy storytelling. If there isn't any existing potential for conflict, why couldn't they just make some? Like, I don't think we really knew much (if anything) about the Morbuzakh before its saga, which was in a way tied into the "getting the Kanoka" saga. But they knew that it'd be boring if the Toa just waltzed around the island and collected the Kanoka without facing some trouble. And think about this aspect of it; there wasn't any product connected to the Morbuzakh that they were trying to sell in the process! It was put in for (probably) purely storytelling reasons.

And yeah, the shadow traps totally don't count as problems lol. They don't really pose any threat that we've seen besides alerting Umarak.

It's definitely possible that future episodes will be better. And trust me, I really hope they will be. I'm gonna watch them in any case, but I would be so thrilled if they were good. But even if they do end up awesome, that doesn't make these any better. Yeah, I'm a little salty, but in a lot of ways it just boils down to me being a bit of a fiction snob. Even though I (obviously) love G1, I'm not really upset that G2 isn't like it. When I compare the two, I'm not saying that "G2 should've done it like G1". Honestly, I'd be kinda disappointed if it did. We've already seen G1, we don't need to see it again. I'm saying that G1 had the same target audience and was made by the same company, and was awesome. It had its share of weak points, yeah, but it pulled through and (sometimes) made the best of them. I guess I'm just comparing the two because they're, well, convenient to compare. But the points I criticize the show (and G2 in general) on are really just me viewing it rationally and seeing what flaws it really has as a story in general. Not a Bionicle story, just a story.

And, jsyk, I didn't think you were defending the animations.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

-snip-

No, I don't know if I'd consider TLR any better than the animations, I just meant that I despised it slightly less. :P

What you say about us not knowing any large scale hazards on Okoto is a decent point, but I wouldn't say it exactly defends sloppy storytelling. If there isn't any existing potential for conflict, why couldn't they just make some? Like, I don't think we really knew much (if anything) about the Morbuzakh before its saga, which was in a way tied into the "getting the Kanoka" saga. But they knew that it'd be boring if the Toa just waltzed around the island and collected the Kanoka without facing some trouble. And think about this aspect of it; there wasn't any product connected to the Morbuzakh that they were trying to sell in the process! It was put in for (probably) purely storytelling reasons.

And yeah, the shadow traps totally don't count as problems lol. They don't really pose any threat that we've seen besides alerting Umarak.

It's definitely possible that future episodes will be better. And trust me, I really hope they will be. I'm gonna watch them in any case, but I would be so thrilled if they were good. But even if they do end up awesome, that doesn't make these any better. Yeah, I'm a little salty, but in a lot of ways it just boils down to me being a bit of a fiction snob. Even though I (obviously) love G1, I'm not really upset that G2 isn't like it. When I compare the two, I'm not saying that "G2 should've done it like G1". Honestly, I'd be kinda disappointed if it did. We've already seen G1, we don't need to see it again. I'm saying that G1 had the same target audience and was made by the same company, and was awesome. It had its share of weak points, yeah, but it pulled through and (sometimes) made the best of them. I guess I'm just comparing the two because they're, well, convenient to compare. But the points I criticize the show (and G2 in general) on are really just me viewing it rationally and seeing what flaws it really has as a story in general. Not a Bionicle story, just a story.

And, jsyk, I didn't think you were defending the animations.

And just for another point, I think I mixed up my wording when referring to The 2015 animations, and the show. Whoops ._.

In anycase, it's fine to discuss this all. It's just that I warn that we shouldn't get salty, unless we do really have a reason to (i.e seeing the work that was put into the original three films then seeing TLR...) and that we should try to keep our hopes up and our heads high, even if everything may kinda, or even if it does downright sucks, it shouldn't be all gloom and doom if a lot is bad, even than, there is still good. Even if it may be hard to see. There is still good in 2016, let alone G2. And things may seem down, but believe me, 2008 and 2009 were bad years, at least for me as a BIONICLE fan, I didn't know the story at the time, and knowing that I know it now, it makes 2008 for me less bad, grant it I still dislike it, but not as much as I dislike 2009. But, even then, even with all the issues that plagued the sets, let alone story up until that point, I even now can find some good from it, even if it's hard to see it.

It might be bad, but it could be worse, but things will get better, just know that.

pure_muscle.png

Oh yes; I dislike TLR to. I first watched it last year late at night out of curiosity, it's only saving grace being Michael Dorn...

Actually I am not to fond of the Miramax stuff anymore either. I used to love it as a kid, but now not so much. I feel Bionicle's story was always at its best in books or multimedia such as the MNOG. It just seems that a 100+ page novel will always seem more intelligent than a short TV film.

And as I said, JtO has a great art style, and is well animated. It's just... The story and dialoge did nothing for me.

• Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Oh yes; I dislike TLR to. I first watched it last year late at night out of curiosity, it's only saving grace being Michael Dorn...

Actually I am not to fond of the Miramax stuff anymore either. I used to love it as a kid, but now not so much. I feel Bionicle's story was always at its best in books or multimedia such as the MNOG. It just seems that a 100+ page novel will always seem more intelligent than a short TV film.

And as I said, JtO has a great art style, and is well animated. It's just... The story and dialoge did nothing for me.

Okay, fair enough. Style is one thing, storytelling is another.

pure_muscle.png

I watched the prologue episode last week as soon as I could. I immediately stepped away to try and re-approach The Journey to One more levelheaded, because by then I had read too many negative things and the prologue rather rubbed me the wrong way. Finally this morning I watched the next two episodes.

I definitely like that they acknowledged and explained last year's story, but did not like reusing the animations to do so. Using a different animation style to signify flashbacks is not a new concept, but literally reusing things we've already seen.. Eh, it just wasn't able to make me interested. And as the start of the series, it was a turn off. Plus I don't think it did a good job at all at introducing us to the Toa; Narmoto's tale just gave the facts. Which leads us to episode 1...

Where immediately I felt things were rushing too quickly. The Toa are just off on a new mission, a "mission" that ends far too quickly and easily. Except for poor Lewa... I do agree with the sentiment that there wasn't a sense of conflict (barring a brief fight with Umarak that I did enjoy, which only impacted at the time one of our progatonists). Some Toa disagreed with their Creatures, but in seconds they were the best of friends. I might not even find anything necessarily wrong with that if I didn't take issue with their ultimate goal. Both the end of the prologue and the beginning of thie episode bring attention to the fact that the Toa have new masks, weapons, and armor... So let's send them on a quest to get a new mask?? A quest that they did not have any issues fulfilling, making their old new mask rather superfluous. Recruiting the Creatures should have been the real task, and I guess it was, but the attention felted placed on the masks instead with the guardians just being an obstalce in the way.

Episode 2's conflict felt petty. So terribly petty. Pohatu doesn't like scorpions, so he jeapardizes the fate of the entire island... Really? Just made me mad at him instead of worrying about whether the Toa will be able to succeed now. Once again, though, not much stood in their way. They magically knew how to get through the entire labyrinth. Granted, this alluded to some potential future story with their lost memories and time displacement that is a little intriguing , but in the here and now it just comes across as a cop out. Given what it held, that thing should have been much harder to get into.

I do not hate everything about The Journey to One. I liked that Lewa and Pohatu got the spotlight (even if I very much dislike the execution for the latter). In fact, it makes me wish that this miniseries was 6 episodes long so that each episode could have a portion of it highlighting the strenghts of each Toa and actually let their characters grow. The voice acting wasn't that bad. Even Umarak grew on me the more I heard him. I initially found it offputting because of my own internal voice for him, but worked in the end. This show is also simply beautiful. I adore the art, both backgrounds and character models, so I can say I enjoyed watching it to see those visuals in motion.

I just can't say I enjoyed the story it was trying to tell. I can't shake the feeling that I know it could have been better. The story left me wanting more out of it. I was getting excited for this show up to its release. I want to be invested in it, but it's not doing it for me. So for me, it was in the end a little disappointing.

~|ET|~

• Upvote 4

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I just can't say I enjoyed the story it was trying to tell. I can't shake the feeling that I know it could have been better. The story left me wanting more out of it. I was getting excited for this show up to its release. I want to be invested in it, but it's not doing it for me. So for me, it was in the end a little disappointing.

I pretty strongly agree with your assessment, and this quoted part especially. Last year's webisodes had less than half the time of Journey to One and yet they established all six of the Toa as fun characters that bounced off each other in interesting ways that I really wanted to see more of. They also managed to build up a sense of conflict and suspense (though the first half struggled with that to be fair). Watching them made me excited for the new story and eager for this Netflix series because I was invested in the characters.

But the new author just doesn't seem to have cared to carry over their characterizations, opting instead for his own interpretations that are far less interesting and much less distinct from each other. There's no friction between Kopaka and Tahu. Tahu is a carefree dude flying around for fun and wasting time while Lewa is suddenly dedicated to the goal and wiser than the others. Pohatu's tough guy demeanor is flattened out and made really unconvincing (which might've been interesting if it was put to any actual narrative use). And there's no trace of that jealous, human (in the character sense) Makuta. He's back to shadowy-world-domination-plan-man, which I thought we had finally escaped.

2015 made me feel like it was 2004 again - An interesting story with some compelling points that had the potential to lead to great things in future years. 2016 makes me feel like we've slid backward into 2008. Journey to One is not bad, its just really bland and that's disappointing to me as someone that wants to see BIONICLE at its best.

Edited by Pereki
  • Upvote 3

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Okay, so I just saw the JtO, and... I... I, uh... (I feel like I'm having a mid-life crisis here).... THE TOA'S PERSONALITIES SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! By God! What even IS Pohatu? I get it that he's suppose to be the strong silent type now, but that doesn't mean he's meant to be down right STUPID! And, this whole Character Change, honestly reminds me kind of like the Matoran Civil War from G1! *Literally gets Flashbacks of the War.* Okay, to MY knowledge, the war was started between Ta-Matoran and Po-Matoran, and to MY knowledge, Po-Matoran at that time where Strong, Silence and not very bright, per say. I dunno, I probably got that ALL wrong.

The reason why I bring this up, is NOT to make a connection to G1 per say, but just that it seems REALLY strange to me that it's like this now with Pohatu's personality. It's just, so very strange to me. I for one DO want a connection, but THIS! Though it may make room for a Theory somewhere, it's just REALLY hard to wrap my head around this change, and if it where to make any Canological sense regarding G1 if we're talking about a connection theory here. I am also looking for possible Connections, and though we do have one clearly said connection, that being said that

The Toa where from a Different Time and a Different place.

BUT STILL, it's just SO confusing to me!

And don't Even get me STARTED On Kopaka, he's just like Lewa! Not that Lewa's Personality is BAD, But Kopaka is suppose to be FREAKING KOPAKA, Not (as Tuuli said) "The Cowabunga Dude."

The Voice acting, Ooooh Man!, The voice acting.... By God, the voice Acting in BIONICLE: The Game sounds better than THIS!. As in what the Character's Voices should be, I mean. For one, Tahu's doesn't sound all rough and gruff, but rather like he just dropped out of Adult Pre-School. Gali isn't British, Kopaka sounds and acts like he just fell off of the back of the Beach Van, Pohatu sounds like he just came back from crushing rocks all day, Onua talks too much, and his voice is Waaaaay too high! And Lewa!... Yeah, Lewa's Voice and Personality is the only one thats good....

Anyway, back to civilness, I just don't know what to feel about JtO. It's MUCH, Much, much, MUCH better than the Online Animations. and STEPS BEYOND TLR! I would honestly really like it, if it weren't for the character's glaringly obvious issues! I did really like some bits, and honestly I did get a chuckle or two at certain points, GRANT IT, I did only watch the Prologue episode, and Episode 1, BUT STILL. I did enjoy it, it's just hard for me to really feel for the G2 interpretations of my Favorite Characters, Especially Tahu and Pohatu. I do like Kopaka's personality somewhat? But, it's still hard for me to Reeeaaally like it. It's not cringey, SO thats good. It's... Coming at it as a fan of BIONICLE since it's original run back in 2001 - 2010 is really hard for me to see these Toa as the one's we're familiar with. UNLESS, If these Toa are say, somehow the same to a from G1, just MUCH younger than when we even saw them for the first time on the island of Okoto, which going back to a past connection theory of mine, would make sense, along with the one I am currently working off of. Anyway, so as to not make the People who don't want a connection to hate on me, I'll quit talking about a connection.

Here's hoping that Ep. 2 and future episodes are good. Until then, wish me luck!

• Upvote 1

pure_muscle.png

Well I finally got around to watching it. My overall feelings are... "meh". Alright I liked the prologue a lot. Solely because of how much I feel it matched the tone of G1 very well (seriously all they needed was a "gathered friends" line and it would have been perfect). The actual series though is.... better then HF, but still not good... although it's not really bad either. Well the animation and art style (as many have stated) is really good. It gives that feeling of being told a legend from an old book. The voice acting is another mixed bag. I like the voice of Lewa, Onua, and Tahu, and sort of Pohatu. Kopaka has the deepness of the voice I look for in him, but he doesn't have the sternness of it. And Gali just sounds way too young in comparison to how I always saw her. I like Pohatu's voice in the sense it matches his old personality of being easy-going and friendly. But it does not match the new one they gave him. It's not serious at all. In fact that's another thing, the personalities. I do not like the fact Kopaka is depicted as somewhat jokey. That's not him. He's supposed to be a cold loner type character who takes what he does very seriously. Lewa also seems a little too much like Matau and doesn't seem to give off the sarcasm he was supposed to have. The other characters are (for the most part) alright. They seem to posses the traits they were supposed to have (although we don't really see much of them). I'm also glad they didn't make it another "ode to Tahu".

They also do seem to have made it more light-hearted. Which does sorta balance with the more serious elements but at times feels out of place. The story is very basic to say the least. Find golden mask. That's really all there was to it. When they tried to make the characters more complex it often times comes out of nowhere. Overall it's watchable if you just take it for what it is. I will give the team credit though. They were clearly trying with this. You can tell they wanted to make it the best they could but I imagine due to the limited time frame they had to release it, and possible executive meddling, it just brings it down from what it could be. I'll probably make a more in-depth video review of it some time. 

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

I finally got around to seeing Journey to One.

I wanna cry.

It's so bad. Like really, really bad... Like nothing against the people who made it and such, I'm sure they're talented and all, but this show really doesn't show it. Even the animation doesn't look good. Gosh this is just depressing. Even the redeemable factors are still heavily flawed in themselves. I'm surprised no one else is talking about the show here.

It's not even bad but unique, it's just uninteresting and sad. I guess maybe that's what I get as a fan looking for a good story out of LEGO. Though this is Netflix, so I don't even know anymore. I thought in the least it wouldn't be cringy but sadly it seems like this show along with G2 will disappear into history.

Life sucks, and now so does Bionicle.  :(

Oh well, at least the sets look good. :confused:

EDIT: Final thoughts. Bionicle Journey to One is stupid. Really, really stupid. It adds nothing and does nothing and its excuse for charm is cringe fest 2k16

I liked only two things from this series so far. I thought the shadow traps were cute and had actual real charm that made my painful face twitch into what was almost a miniature smile being slowly warped by the realization that my expectations were fruitless. I also liked how Umarak warped and traveled. It looked pretty cool, but the animation in general was still terrible. Oh, and his voice and maybe Ekimu's were the only one's I'd say I actually liked to any extent.

And I will never forgive what LEGO and this show have done to Pohatu. They took his character and shredded it. I'm open to character changes, but this is too drastic, and it's not even done well. Or any of the other characters for that matter.

Even if you take this show at the bluntest value possible, it's still not good by even that standard. I'm sure the peeps at Valve or whatever, whoever made this show, are really good at what they do, and I like the character models, but everything just doesn't work for me, even when being generous. It's just disappointing, and it's not like I was anticipating gold or thrusting my finger into the refresh key repeatedly on the Journey to One Netflix page waiting for the milisecond it was released. It just doesn't at least feel good, or work and feel wrong.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 1

I finally got around to seeing Journey to One.

I wanna cry.

It's so bad. Like really, really bad... Like nothing against the people who made it and such, I'm sure they're talented and all, but this show really doesn't show it. Even the animation doesn't look good. Gosh this is just depressing. Even the redeemable factors are still heavily flawed in themselves. I'm surprised no one else is talking about the show here.

It's not even bad but unique, it's just uninteresting and sad. I guess maybe that's what I get as a fan looking for a good story out of LEGO. Though this is Netflix, so I don't even know anymore. I thought in the least it wouldn't be cringy but sadly it seems like this show along with G2 will disappear into history.

Life sucks, and now so does Bionicle.  :(

Oh well, at least the sets look good. :confused:

EDIT: Final thoughts. Bionicle Journey to One is stupid. Really, really stupid. It adds nothing and does nothing and its excuse for charm is cringe fest 2k16

I liked only two things from this series so far. I thought the shadow traps were cute and had actual real charm that made my painful face twitch into what was almost a miniature smile being slowly warped by the realization that my expectations were fruitless. I also liked how Umarak warped and traveled. It looked pretty cool, but the animation in general was still terrible. Oh, and his voice and maybe Ekimu's were the only one's I'd say I actually liked to any extent.

And I will never forgive what LEGO and this show have done to Pohatu. They took his character and shredded it. I'm open to character changes, but this is too drastic, and it's not even done well. Or any of the other characters for that matter.

Even if you take this show at the bluntest value possible, it's still not good by even that standard. I'm sure the peeps at Valve or whatever, whoever made this show, are really good at what they do, and I like the character models, but everything just doesn't work for me, even when being generous. It's just disappointing, and it's not like I was anticipating gold or thrusting my finger into the refresh key repeatedly on the Journey to One Netflix page waiting for the milisecond it was released. It just doesn't at least feel good, or work and feel wrong.

Okay, I thought my reaction and take on it was harsh and over the top. But this is just ridiculous.

The show is bad, yes. But it could be much worse. How so? For one thing the animation style could look terrible, Like I mean even worse than the 2015 animation style. The fight scenes aren't so bad, and some of the voice acting is kinda good. Some, mind you.

Yeah, the storytelling is very bad, and the Characters of the Toa are not lovable or relatable at all, let alone Ekimu, the Protectors (what we've seen of them) or anyone else really. Personally, it just feels like G2 has no heart, no love, no soul in it. It just feels rushed and not thought out well. Perhaps, they want us to see these characters as young and foolish, but with the whole

"From a different time, different place"

thing, it's just so redundant, it's ridiculous. I know, that they're bodies maybe changed, and thas their memories wiped, but you'd think they'd have some level of muscle memory that was undamaged, or something else. But nope.

The whole of G2 so far just feels soooooooo contrived, it hurts. Grant it, BIONICLE's later year's where like that too, but that doesn't make it any better, and it's certainly no valid defense that G2 could have on it's side when it comes to it's quality and heart (or lack there of).

At least JtO wasn't a Cringe-Fest (for me).

Edited by Toa Imrukii
  • Upvote 1

pure_muscle.png

*snip*

Okay, I thought my reaction and take on it was harsh and over the top. But this is just ridiculous.

The show is bad, yes. But it could be much worse. How so? For one thing the animation style could look terrible, Like I mean even worse than the 2015 animation style. The fight scenes aren't so bad, and some of the voice acting is kinda good. Some, mind you.

Yeah, the storytelling is very bad, and the Characters of the Toa are not lovable or relatable at all, let alone Ekimu, the Protectors (what we've seen of them) or anyone else really. Personally, it just feels like G2 has no heart, no love, no soul in it. It just feels rushed and not thought out well. Perhaps, they want us to see these characters as young and foolish, but with the whole

"From a different time, different place"

thing, it's just so redundant, it's ridiculous. I know, that they're bodies maybe changed, and thas their memories wiped, but you'd think they'd have some level of muscle memory that was undamaged, or something else. But nope.

The whole of G2 so far just feels soooooooo contrived, it hurts. Grant it, BIONICLE's later year's where like that too, but that doesn't make it any better, and it's certainly no valid defense that G2 could have on it's side when it comes to it's quality and heart (or lack there of).

At least JtO wasn't a Cringe-Fest (for me).

But the animation wasn't great in my opinion. The scene where

Tahu is flying around with his fire beast, the moment where he crashes into the rock is slow and painful and I could see it coming from a mile away.

The animation in general feels slow and bulky and the action doesn't feel right because of it. I'm not saying the people who made it have no skill, I'm just saying that from a clear point of view the 3D models in 2D environments felt weird and that as a whole it wasn't great. The characters didn't feel natural in their movements, and yes that may have been an "artistic choice" but I don't think it's one that worked. Even if they're robots and you're trying to convey their human aspects and personalities then make them move like people. Even the Legend Reborn was more fluid. I may have over exaggerated, but I don't think it was very good. The 2D Bionicle animations at least had style and consistency and moved fluidly.

And for me it was a SERIOUS cringe fest. There were so many stupid tropes, and I could see literally everything that would happen coming from a mile away. Yes, the first year was like that too, but I don't think it worked there either, and it especially does not work for a tv show. The jokes never hit for me even once because they weren't clever, and take some parts like

the part where the toa are entering the heart of labyrinth of control

where the dialog doesn't even feel like it fits the scene, and is just out of place and meaningless. They literally could have taken it out and no one would have noticed, and it could've been better for it.

The voice acting just isn't good either though. Every time the toa spoke I cringed because it felt like there was no control or no actual decisions being made. The tones of their voices never completely worked for the situation and just always felt the same and if it deviated it wasn't appropriate and sounded off. Think Sonic Adventure voice acting. Sure, it was probably a little better, but for the most part it was over exaggerated in inappropriate ways that didn't help make the toa any more likable, believable, or anything. I could at least partly forgiven it if they had done something to add more depth to the voices, but even that still wouldn't forgive that most of the writing isn't good at all.

And Ekimu DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING. Every time the toa ask him about something he just goes

"Oh, yeah sorry guys, can't help you with that, no idea" only for one of the toa to pitch in an idea and then him going "Ah yes, blah blah blah is very important and I know all of this about it and how important it is" And then just walks off because it seems like he's more interested in making masks then ACTUALLY HELPING THE TOA

It's just STUPID. None of the characters make any sense or are clever in any shape or sense of the word.

Even if you fixed all these problems, you'd only even have half a decent show, but it still wouldn't excuse how uninteresting it is and how unmeaningful it is. It's story has nothing new to offer and the characters aren't endearing enough to even forgive that.

Yes, there were redeeming points, and it's not like this show is a sin marked against this Earth, tainting society from the inside and secretly manipulating and corrupting people and taking away good television. There are redeeming moments and even the dialog had some highlights in some very small places, but overall the show is so underwhelming and upsetting that those points can't even be forgiven because they would only really work if anything else so much more important did.

Underwhelming doesn't even actually describe the show. Sure, it's not insulting or pure evil, but it is a shame and a disrespect to the source material. Yes, Bionicle was always contrived, but at least at certain points it was interesting. It took often risks, it tried, and it had way more commendable points and cool creative things about it. But this show takes the characters we knew, and not just changes them dumping everything they stood for, but doesn't even do it well.

The dialog and script makes the show try to sound smarter than it really is but it just isn't. This is exactly a copy paste of the story from last year, not just G1 or even all of generic television.

It's important to recognize somethings strengths, but I'm not going to fool myself into liking it or ignoring the terrifying stack of problems about it. This show was desperately needed in a time when the story of G2 was already somewhat underwhelming, and it let that down. It only needed to be decent, to at least have something unique or interesting, and there just wasn't enough of that. And now what makes me upset is when people are now saying "Oh, it's fine it's not like I was expecting something super amazing. It works for what it needs to." But that's just not true. It doesn't take away from the fact that a tv show is suppose to tell a story, and this one took a bad story and didn't at least decorate it or write it in a way that makes it endearing. All it had to be was not cringy or at least paced a little better than it is. Bringing down our expectations doesn't make a better product. People for a while were saying "OH, just wait for the tv show to come out before you judge the year, that's where the real meat of the story is coming." But it DIDN'T come. And that's upsetting. If they didn't know for a fact they could make it good, then why do it at all if it's only going to turn people off. Sure, you can make great sets, but if you're coming up with a story make it a little more interesting or don't make it at all.

And I'm not trying to be selfish or whiney. I'm glad Bionicle came back, I'm glad that we're getting sets and story again. But right now other than the sets it seems like the greatest part about Bionicle coming back WAS Bionicle coming back, because the story just doesn't work.

Edited by Banana Gunz

I must say, The Journey to One is awesome! I love it! One of the best things in Bionicle, including the fact that it's a TV show!:D Not a good idea that it's on Netflix, but okay.

I do not want to spoil stuff, but I will just say that the animation style is very great. Interesting that it is a mix of Transformers: Robots in Disguise and Avatar: The Last Airbender by animation. Volta did a very great job with it.

Character development is improved from the websiodes. Speaking of that, I like the idea of having a prologue video that recaps the 2015 events.:) I wish Lego had tonight of that in 2015.

I am looking forward for the next two new episodes coming in July because I love the TV show!:D

I hope that one day that the TV show will be released for home media, like a DVD. I also hope that the show will become successful enough to have, like, 10-13 episodes next season, similar to Ninjago rather than Hero Factory. I mean, this is very good stuff.:)

• Upvote 2

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I must say, The Journey to One is awesome! I love it! One of the best things in Bionicle, including the fact that it's a TV show! :D Not a good idea that it's on Netflix, but okay.

I do not want to spoil stuff, but I will just say that the animation style is very great. Interesting that it is a mix of Transformers: Robots in Disguise and Avatar: The Last Airbender by animation. Volta did a very great job with it.

Character development is improved from the websiodes. Speaking of that, I like the idea of having a prologue video that recaps the 2015 events. :) I wish Lego had tonight of that in 2015.

I am looking forward for the next two new episodes coming in July because I love the TV show! :D

I hope that one day that the TV show will be released for home media, like a DVD. I also hope that the show will become successful enough to have, like, 10-13 episodes next season, similar to Ninjago rather than Hero Factory. I mean, this is very good stuff. :)

Good to see that it's not all gloom and doom.

• Upvote 3

pure_muscle.png

Today I watched Journey to one once again. Now that I have seen the prologue and both episodes 4 times, I think I am ready to put my thoughts on the show here, on the tabl .... I mean on the message board  ^_^  That being said, I am quite struggling to understand why the show received such a negative reception by many forumers here. Now I won't talk about any spoilers or plot twists in this post - instead I'll focus on rating the cinematography (the screenwriting, visuals, music, casting, how it was directed, etc.), the plot setting and how it worked in an overall sense  :)

First let us go to the cinematography of the show, an aspect which has been bashed below the ground by many people here. I personally can't understand this bashing because in my opinion the cinematographic aspect of the show was really good. It certainly wasn't a masterpiece, but nevertheless it still was really good and it managed to satisfy my expectations, despite the fact that I considered my expectations to be fairly high. The music was good, so was the voice acting. In particular I would like to praise the visuals - the high detail characters worked well with the low detail enviroment. To me this blend worked very well in creating a "mythical atmosphere" something, which in my opinion fits very well to Bionicle, bet it Generation 1 or 2.

The cinematographic aspect that I would praise by far the most however is that the show nearly perfectly obeyed the consistency of Bionicle Generation 2. For example, I love Star Wars Episode 7, however sometimes, especially in fighting scnenes, I was absolutely shocked about how inconsistent it was compared to the first six episodes (though to be fair, Clone Wars was even far more inconsistent), nevertheless Star Wars Episode 7 was an excellent movie. The Journey to One has been consistent in absolutely everything except for switching the personalities of Kopaka and Pohatu. That bothered me a bit, but overall the show remained far more consistent than most movies of large and developed franchises. The directing and screenwriting were good too, though I do think that what was pumped into 2 episodes should have been compiled into 10 to 13 episodes, though that is not a problem of the director and screenwriter - they did a very good job. The problem is that LEGO payed for only 2 episodes, so they weren't able to make more episodes, even though they might have wanted to. That was also the greatest shortcomming of the show - the lack of world building. A lack of world building plagues Generation 2 since it's start. We know a lot about the Toa, n oless than we did in Generation 1, however in Generatione 1 we also knew a lot about the Turaga, Matoran, the wildlife and scenery of Mata Nui and the villages. In Generation 2 we know nothing about the villagers, nothing about the villages, nothing about the countryside of Okoto and only an absolute minimum about the protectors. But this is a broader problem, so it's impact on the show itself isn't as high as my rant above might imply  -_-

Overall I gave the show 5 stars on Netflix, the highest possible rating. There are shows and movies with which you think that even 5 stars aren't enough. That is not the case of this show, but nevertheless I believe that it deserves 5 stars, that 5 stars are just right for it. But that brings us to the overall rating of this show, in which I disagree with many forumers here the most. The essence of my disagreement can be best demonstrated on this post:

I really don't think JtO is any better than the HF episodes, and I would suspect any claims to the contrary are due to it being Bionicle and nothing more. There really isn't anything to JtO.

Problem is, Journey to One is Bionicle. It isn't Journey to One, it is Bionicle: Journey to One. In my opinion movies should be judged as a whole and not just as sterile manifestations of cinematography. And the Bionicle story is what makes a good piece of cinematography a truly excellent and remarkable show - despite of neglected world building, Generation 2 of Bionicle is still a phenomenal story and setting. Setting is very important, because setting expands on the scenes you see in a movie or a show. And a phenomenal setting plus good, or maybe even very good cinematography make for an excellent show. It isn't a masterpiece, but nevertheless it is excellent and even today, after I saw it for 4 times, I still stand by my decision to give it 5 stars. I continue to be hyped for the next two episodes and in summer I will certainly buy a month of the most basic Netflix program for 8 euros. 8 euros is pretty much the price you pay for a cinema ticket, 3D glasses and a large pack of popcorn. I probably will go watch the next Star Trek movie and maybe the Warcraft movie too, but one thing I know for certain, I'm more hyped for the second half of this season of Journey to One than I am for both of those movies put together (and I certainly am hyped for those movies a lot)  :)

IhDIrLK.jpg

I liked G1 primarily for the story. G1 Pohatu was my favorite character due to his personality.

I also like Journey To One, have no problem with the new characterizations, and respect the show for achieving what it set out to do and is trying to be.

Sue me, I guess?

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

If salt were an Element, many of us here would be of such element.

pure_muscle.png

I feel that the negativity this show is getting in this thread is unfounded, or at least that's how I look at it. Sure, JtO's not the greatest thing I've ever seen, but it's certainly not the worst, and I have seen much worse than this. 

It does have pacing issues, but does that bring down the show on the whole? No.

I couldn't care less what the characters act and sound like. They're new, meaning that I did not grow up with them. I guess that's why I'm not emotionally scarred like many others.  :confused: It's not even that bad. It's not as in your face as, say, any of Sonic Boom.

And why is everyone complaining about the story and writing? It's a TV show made specifically to sell toys! The amount of hatred this is getting is almost as much here as compared to any new show from, say, Transformers, as most people in that community complain about any cartoon that's not from G1 (and the G1 cartoon wasn't even that good to begin with). In fact, I thought the writing for Bionicle G1 was a little lackluster compared to other works because the story was designed for the same thing that G2's story is designed to do: Sell. Toys.

It might be me, but I am able to channel my inner-10-year-old and actually enjoy this piece of media as 20-year-old. I don't care if the characters have the "wrong" personalities (in fact, who are you to judge what personality traits that a character not created by you can or can't have?). I don't care if the story isn't all that complex or "supa edgy bro" (because I hate that kind of pretentious stuff). It's a show for kids to get them to buy things. That's all it is. That's all it's ever been, G1 included.

And please, save the arguments that "G1 had a rich story; G2 isn't following that trend and that's why it sucks". Please just don't hit me with that excuse, because I'm tired of hearing it pretty much everywhere.

What I like about G2 is the fact that it is simple. It's just a story about good vs. evil, plain and simple. Since its debut, I longed for a simple story of that nature, as I was growing tired of the blurred lines, antiheroes, and whatever else they've done with superhero and toy-based movies nowadays. It's simple, fun, and gets the job done for kids, and that's why I love it. Same goes for JtO.

So, sorry it doesn't live up to the hype of jaded 13+ year olds who expect way too much from toy commercials.  :annoyed:

• Upvote 4

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I feel that the negativity this show is getting in this thread is unfounded, or at least that's how I look at it. Sure, JtO's not the greatest thing I've ever seen, but it's certainly not the worst, and I have seen much worse than this. 

I couldn't care less what the characters act and sound like. They're new, meaning that I did not grow up with them. I guess that's why I'm not emotionally scarred like many others.  :confused: It's not even that bad. It's not as in your face as, say, any of Sonic Boom.

And why is everyone complaining about the story and writing? It's a TV show made specifically to sell toys! The amount of hatred this is getting is almost as much here as compared to any new show from, say, Transformers, as most people in that community complain about any cartoon that's not from G1 (and the G1 cartoon wasn't even that good to begin with). In fact, I thought the writing for Bionicle G1 was a little lackluster compared to other works because the story was designed for the same thing that G2's story is designed to do: Sell. Toys.

It might be me, but I am able to channel my inner-10-year-old and actually enjoy this piece of media as 20-year-old. I don't care if the characters have the "wrong" personalities (in fact, who are you to judge what personality traits that a character not created by you can or can't have?). I don't care if the story isn't all that complex or "supa edgy bro" (because I hate that kind of pretentious stuff). It's a show for kids to get them to buy things. That's all it is. That's all it's ever been, G1 included.

And please, save the arguments that "G1 had a rich story; G2 isn't following that trend and that's why it sucks". Please just don't hit me with that excuse, because I'm tired of hearing it pretty much everywhere.

What I like about G2 is the fact that it is simple. It's just a story about good vs. evil, plain and simple. Since its debut, I longed for a simple story of that nature, as I was growing tired of the blurred lines, antiheroes, and whatever else they've done with superhero and toy-based movies nowadays. It's simple, fun, and gets the job done for kids, and that's why I love it. Same goes for JtO.

So, sorry it doesn't live up to the hype of jaded 13+ year olds who expect way too much from toy commercials.  :annoyed:

Dude, you sound way angrier and confrontational about this than pretty much anyone else who's actually posted negative opinions. Heck, most opinions aren't even particularly negative (definitely very little hatred being thrown around), just mixed. Throwing shade at people you disagree with isn't going to persuade them that you're the voice of reason here.

"It's a toy commercial" is a poor excuse to justify lower standards, anyway. Journey to One is a commercial product, everyone knows that. It's not a secret. But most kinds of media, especially that aimed at children, is similar to some degree: It's all trying to market something. Just because it's a commercial doesn't excuse anything. Not all commercials are made equal, and if people think it could have been better, it's because it has been done better before. It has nothing to do with whether the old Bionicle did it better. (Personally, I think even compared to other Lego shows (also all nothing but commercials, and most not being particularly deep or complex) Journey to One is overwhelmingly mediocre).

If it's something that fits your expectations and that you can enjoy, hey, cool. Enjoy it. No one's saying you can't. Don't act like other people's views on it aren't valid just because their expectations were different, though.

AXKP5KC.png

I completely disagree here. It doesn't matter if there's worse, what matters is the quality of this show, here and now, and though they could've screwed it even more there is A LOT it could've done better. And to me it's not that the characters sound new, it's that they don't sound good. The voices themselves don't bother me but the lack of any skill or appropriate tone being put into shows no effort and is a serious turn off. It makes the show ten times cheesier on its own. The fact that they're new isn't the problem, it's the fact they didn't make interesting or meaningful decision with the voices in any way to further the characters or better the show.

Nope, nope, and nope. This statement completely makes no sense to me. Yes, Bionicle was made to sell toys, the story was made to sell toys, but that doesn't mean it has to lack in quality, and ESPECIALLY, for a tv show, a visual medium who's FIRST and most important priority is to TELL A STORY. A person looking on Netflix that watches this doesn't care that there's a toy line attached. They want to be entertained, they want a good story. And sure, you can say Bionicle's story is tacked on to sell toys, but that doesn't make it good or worthy, and for a tv show that makes it downright disturbing. Look at the LEGO Movie. It was not just good, it was AMAZING. It had heart, it had soul, it had meaning.

Saying the shows priority was to sell toys is a lazy way of excusing its lack of quality. People were likely to buy the toys already if they were planning on it, and don't imagine a tv show with a cheesy bad story is going to entice anyone to want to buy them.

And one shouldn't have to try to turn off their brain and enjoy this as someone else. Look at Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. There are FANTASTIC childrens tv shows that are cool for anyone to watch. Aiming at a target audience does not excuse you to put out a bad product, and being a kid doesn't mean they're gonna settle for something that was tailored to insult anyone's intelligence. Kids aren't dumb and can watch something intelligent, and even if they don't totally understand it they can be enthralled by it and revisit it later, happy to see something they loved actually hold up.

The show doesn't have to be complex or edgy to be good, but that doesn't mean it has to be super cheesy, cringy, and in general meaningless and be a basic and outlying toy commercial, because anyone can see through that and it doesn't at all make it good. I expect a good story from a tv show first and foremost and if they can't do that then I can watch commercials in between actually good shows already.

And G1 at least tried some things sometimes and had some heart to it. I'm tired of the stupid and irrational argument that all Bionicle ever was or needs to be is a function to sell toys, because it's just not true in the case of a tv show.

G2 doesn't suck because it's just like G1, G2 sucks because it's not good. You don't need 13+ years of complicated story, you need to have a focused and caring one that has some actual depth to it and has a unique, interesting, and meaningful identity.

And again, if all you ever expect is a toy commercial then that's all you're ever going to get and all I can do then is feel sorry for how much heartless cash ins have taken control over that people can't even ask for quality in their toys or tv shows. because I dunno, I guess empty money and commercials are good for personal growth now apparently.

Bionicle isn't about living up to some hype, I know it wasn't designed for me but from this tv show I don't see how it could be designed for anyone. Settling for "it was fine, everything is a commercial" doesn't get you something good. Quality doesn't work like that and it won't work for older fans or younger kids either. I don't think it's unreasonable for fans to demand something a little bit more interesting than a flat story with copy and pasted tropes and jokes. Bionicle took risks before, it did things that were weird and interesting and though it wasn't perfect there is more than just nostalgia with it or else there wouldn't be this large community of people who returned and stayed loyal to it after all these years. They would have left, realizing it was dumb and stupid, because we forget the things that were empty and meaningless. What sticks with us is what affected us and at least mattered at the time. That's why LEGO is so important as a whole. It didn't matter that you bought a set, it mattered that you did something with it and it meant something to you and made a memory. A childhood or a memory is not something someone can just sell to you. It has to WORK to give you that.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 3

Okay, look, I'm really not trying to force anything onto anyone. But I do have a question:

For those who did not like it, do you feel that an hour of your most precious time on the planet Earth was wasted on a stupid show for kids that is only there to shut up the most annoying of brats and should be considered a sin against humanity? Or did you find at the very least something enjoyable about it?

I also want to reiterate how seriously you can take the concept of Bionicle, which is:

Robots mixed with mushy organic stuffs who have elemental powers that live on a tropical island and fight evil...

This, at least to me, is a really "out there" concept, and I think a writer wouldn't take it all that seriously given its complementary source material, which also included giant robots, alternate universes, and a planet broken into three chunks. I explained all of this to a friend the other day. He said, "You had me at 'robots mixed with mushy organic stuffs'."

Now how exactly is kid-friendly quality hurting a kid's show? I think JtO is pretty on par with Nexo Knights, and that, to me, looks like a show kids would have fun with. For a similar reason comes a goal of mine: when I get big, and I have a home a family of my own, I want all of my children to watch Ninjago; not for it's pure Lego-ness, but because it's a great show for all ages. And yes, JtO isn't for all ages maybe, but I'd show them that, too, as it does share that same slot in history as Ninjago.

Again, this is all a matter of opinion, and being honest, I'm really surprised no one was insulted by my previous comments (which is a good thing).

And if you really can't get past the fact that all Bionicle media (G1 and G2) is a toy commercial, then I don't know how I can help you with that.  :shrugs:

Also, I never specifically stated that the story being a toy commercial is an excuse to justify its quality. I think it's a decent story with a lot of care put into it by its creators as a standout from G1. If you don't see it that way, that's fine, but that's how I've always seen Lego's stories on the whole. If there is a setback, such as timing or poor quality overall, I still admire the content creators for what they have produced instead of bashing them and telling them that they tainted my very existence. I mean really, I think some people (not just here, but elsewhere too) are taking their disliking to G2 way too far.  :(

Edited by FordianL at the BCC

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

Okay, look, I'm really not trying to force anything onto anyone. But I do have a question:

For those who did not like it, do you feel that an hour of your most precious time on the planet Earth was wasted on a stupid show for kids that is only there to shut up the most annoying of brats? Or did you find at the very least something enjoyable about it?

Now how exactly is kid-friendly quality hurting a kid's show? I think JtO is pretty on par with Nexo Knights, and that, to me, looks like a show kids would have fun with. For a similar reason comes a goal of mine: when I get big, and I have a home a family of my own, I want all of my children to watch Ninjago; not for it's pure Lego-ness, but because it's a great show for all ages. And yes, JtO isn't for all ages maybe, but I'd show them that, too, as it does share that same slot in history as Ninjago.

1. There are things I liked about the Journey to One, namely the characterization of the creatures (awwwwww) and the fact that Umarak is treated as a credible threat to be taken seriously.

There's also some positive worldbuilding points, like the island and what the Protectors do after the Toa fight in the Ancient City.

The big fall-down of this series is what everyone said it was: the characterization of the Toa. They briefly paid lip-service to the 2015 personalities of the Toa in the very beginning and then proceeded to ignore them. This is ironic given all the complaints about the Toa's 2015 personalities last year, but whatever. Point being, it pays to have consistent main characters.

Further, there is a lack of characterization going on, and it shows. 

Now, I don't like Nexo Knights that much, but for all of its faults, Clay is consistently the intrepid warrior, Macy is the feminist, Lance is the entitled jerk, and Axl is the dumb brute who is always eating.  In this aspect, Nexo Knights is better than the Journey to One. 

For those who did not like it, do you feel that an hour of your most precious time on the planet Earth was wasted on a stupid show for kids that is only there to shut up the most annoying of brats and should be considered a sin against humanity? Or did you find at the very least something enjoyable about it?

Like nothing against the people who made it and such, I'm sure they're talented and all, but this show really doesn't show it.

Yes, there were redeeming points, and it's not like this show is a sin marked against this Earth, tainting society from the inside and secretly manipulating and corrupting people and taking away good television. There are redeeming moments and even the dialog had some highlights in some very small places, but overall the show is so underwhelming and upsetting that those points can't even be forgiven because they would only really work if anything else so much more important did.

...Sure, it's not insulting or pure evil, but it is a shame and a disrespect to the source material...

And I'm not trying to be selfish or whiney. I'm glad Bionicle came back, I'm glad that we're getting sets and story again. But right now other than the sets it seems like the greatest part about Bionicle coming back WAS Bionicle coming back, because the story just doesn't work.

So I really already said multiple time I have NOTHING against the people that were put in charge of making this or their skill or anything, I explicitly said more than once it wasn't some horrid sin against humanity but just a bad show, and I did find some small details that I found positive. I really don't know how much you're reading my posts because I feel I've already addressed most of this.

I'm not a hater and I don't enjoy hating things.

And I don't see what's wrong with me wishing that that hour I spent watching a bad show could've been me watching an hour of a good or even great show. Good quality content? What a sin!

I also want to reiterate how seriously you can take the concept of Bionicle, which is:

Robots mixed with mushy organic stuffs who have elemental powers that live on a tropical island and fight evil...

This, at least to me, is a really "out there" concept, and I think a writer wouldn't take it all that seriously given its complementary source material, which also included giant robots, alternate universes, and a planet broken into three chunks. I explained all of this to a friend the other day. He said, "You had me at 'robots mixed with mushy organic stuffs'."

Again, this is all a matter of opinion, and being honest, I'm really surprised no one was insulted by my previous comments (which is a good thing).

And if you really can't get past the fact that all Bionicle media (G1 and G2) is a toy commercial, then I don't know how I can help you with that.  :shrugs:

I think you're really oversimplifying G1. G1 had a lot of serious and interesting plot ideas and philosophical aspects. Just look at its main motto: Unity, Duty, Destiny. That one line is a centralized ideal of how to make things work, of sticking together with your people to be strong and build on each other to gain the strength to move forward, doing what you must to keep that unity working even if you don't like it, and finding your own self in that unity and reaching for your own personal goals and needs to retain your own strength in that unity and be a healthy working gear in the larger machine.

G2 takes that, and almost plays it as a joke. Journey to One half heatedly called back to it as well as once in a LEGO Magazine comic and it doesn't have any of that same weight because the characters aren't fully realized and their quest doesn't fully match up with that idea which it doesn't even fully express. That is practically symbolic of G2 so far. It takes what G1 did well, sometimes too much of and calls back to it for the sake of being Bionicle but not actually being a Bionicle that works.

G1 experimented with interesting and powerful other philosophical plots and aspects, like the concept of sacrifice and what it takes to conquer fear selflessly for the better of all others, and what it means to have power and what its effect really means and how it affects everyone as a result of it. Bionicle outright made the bad guys win after almost eight years of story, with a plot twist that redefined how we saw everything that the entire story was built on from the beginning as a result of one of the most inspired story beginnings from the brilliant mind of Mr. Faber.

And G2 is G2 for the sake of being G2. Even the villains are uninspired.

And simplifying things is not bad at all. In G1's case rebooting it in a more simple and concise form is a brilliant idea, but it wasn't done well. As a result they neutered Bionicle, and made it a run of the mill story with nothing new or interesting to tell.

Even Ninjago is loads better than this. It takes characters and makes them complex in their relationships with each other and keeps evolving them, and is in my honest opinion the best story telling LEGO has done since Bionicle (even if it has massive continuity problems). Even the comedy usually hits on some level if you look past some of the slightly more goofy parts at the beginning.

And I don't need help. I don't think I'm wrong when I say it wasn't just a commercial. I'm not insane for having a different opinion than you or believing in something that I've thought about and established a qualified idea on by listening to the criticisms and ideas of others and using that to develop my own thoughts. Hollywood and ALL of cinema is made to MAKE MONEY. No matter how good you think it was, no matter how much it's praised by artists, it was green lit by studios under the hope/expectation that it would garner a product and make them money. There's a reason why they keep making Transformers movies with Michael Bay no matter how bad they are and how much people hate them. But under that logic any movie like Blade Runner or Citizen Kane or any grand movie that is considered a masterpiece and is smart and careful with what it does to convey complex and interesting ideas and themes is just a soul less cash in.

Sure, maybe LEGO decided that they wanted this tv show to be a long commercial, but that is not what it should've been because that's not how you write a story. I have already explained myself so much on why things like that aren't just suppose to be cash ins and commercials but it seems you either don't want to listen for the sake of being right or are just too stubborn to think that maybe not everyone who dislikes G2 is a nostalgia crazed maniac who will only ever see Bionicle as some holy grail.

And if it is a commercial, then that is NOT something I would want to show any future children. Stories are meant to affect and sometimes even change you, or at least make you feel something or have anything to say. Even with kids shows (if not more important with those), they shouldn't just be made to get them to shut up and sit down. LEGO doesn't have to make quality toys or products either that stimulate kids' creativity and help affect them at an early age and develop more healthily than other toys. If they wanted they could start selling the sets fully assembled and I'm sure they'd still make plenty of money. The effect is that making something of quality is worth it.

I don't think it's a lot to ask for something good, and I don't think it's a lot to ask for a tv show that does more than kill brain cells. It's not the worst thing ever made, it is not a sin against humanity, but it doesn't fulfill the role or promise of a tv show or a Bionicle story, making G2 and it's attempt at a show a bust, and saying all it had to be was a commercial does not make it better or more successful, because sure, it fills that criteria but it hardly fills the criteria of something good or meaningful which in the least is what a story/tv show should be. The least it could've done was decorate a skimpy story to make it look better but instead it's cringy and upsetting.

Also, I never specifically stated that the story being a toy commercial is an excuse to justify its quality. I think it's a decent story with a lot of care put into it by its creators as a standout from G1. If you don't see it that way, that's fine, but that's how I've always seen Lego's stories on the whole. If there is a setback, such as timing or poor quality overall, I still admire the content creators for what they have produced instead of bashing them and telling them that they tainted my very existence. I mean really, I think some people (not just here, but elsewhere too) are taking their disliking to G2 way too far.  :(

But just because you didn't explicitly say that doesn't mean that's not what it comes off as. You've said before that the story is fine because it's just a toy commercial, when looking at it from any more critical perspective lends the idea that it's not.

And please do not put words into my mouth because that is just rude. I am NOT bashing the creators and saying they "tainted my very existence". If you've actually read anything I've written then it would be remarkably clear that I've stated multiple times it is not terrible, it is not an insult to me personally, that I hold nothing against them and any criticism I give them is of the work they produced, not them personally, and that that work no matter how bad it gets is not my opinion of their ability or talents or my respect of them as a whole. I have said that I am really thankful for Bionicle and its return and that LEGO decided to fund a tv show, but that doesn't excuse its quality or anything about it. I'd rather have gotten this than nothing, but it is not a sin to expect something better from something that was heavily disappointing.

I don't think I took my dislike of G2 too far, because I've been open to it and still am and will continue to keep up with it because I'm willing to accept anything new out of the possibility of it being good rather than unfairly bashing anything they make because boohoo it's not old Bionicle. That argument is long gone and has been for a very long time yet people still find it relevant for some apparent reason because it's easier to paint someone who disagrees with you in a negative like that makes it seem like their opinion would have to be equally as irrelevant rather than actually listening and taking their opinions critically. And I don't think I took my dislike of G2 too far by being careful and thoughtful about how I feel. AGAIN, I've stated multiple times why I dislike it rather than descending into a blind rage or fit.

I will live on, I will be fine, my life force is not tied to Bionicle being good, but it sure is depressing watching what could've been solid and good from all its potential be put to waste. G2 has been underwhelming as a whole since it began, and that would be forgivable if it got better but it's not. Again, I'm thankful for what I got, but just because something could've been worse doesn't mean it's good or couldn't have been better.

It makes sense to look at G2 with a simpler perspective, but I'm not willing to dumb myself down to the point where I'm going to eat everything up because it's got the Bionicle logo slapped on it and decide that it's fine even when it's not even good under a simpler lens. Lessening one's expectations or saying it's okay to be less doesn't make it better, because as I explained not everything is just a dumb commercial or at least shouldn't be.

• Upvote 3

There are a few things I liked about it, but the one that stands out the most (the character models) is something I would not have had to actually spend my time watching it to enjoy. So to some degree I'd say yeah, that was an hour wasted. Not to that hyperbolic level, because I see it as not so much bad as aggressively unremarkable. But it was sort of a waste of my time. Not that I say that with any particularly strong emotion behind it, I watch a lot of shows, several of which are also pretty wasteful uses of my time, and sometimes considerably worse than JtO. So my response to this question is more of a resounding shrug.

You also bring up Bionicle having an odd concept behind it that maybe couldn't be taken too seriously by a writer, but I don't really agree with that perception. The show that the character in my avatar is from is a essentially a toy commercial itself, aimed at kids, about street dancers who turn into samurais and knights who use fruit armor to fight. The guy in my avatar is wearing mango armor and wielding a mango mace. If it sounds ridiculous, it's because it is, and it's ridiculous beyond what Bionicle could hope to be. It's a pretty great show. Now, this is a pretty awful comparison, because Gaim (the other show in question) is Japanese, had 47 episodes, and was pretty dark and complex in its execution--none of which are things JtO is, could, or should be. But my point I guess is, having to market toys and being kind of bizarre in concept aren't really barriers to having a show be something more, you just need capable people behind a show to make it happen. And it's not like the people behind JtO are demonstrably incapable or anything, but I do think they aimed too low and produced a very generic and unremarkable product in the end. It's not without redeeming qualities, but then very few things are.

There's things I'd like to know about the production of JtO too, before really blaming anyone about it. Maybe Lego dictated that the story should be kept as simple as possible, maybe production for these began before the animations or whatever were finalized and as such they weren't able to match the personalities too well, I don't know. Resounding shrugs again.

AXKP5KC.png

I for one like the way the show has been designed. It's got a lot of humour like a competiuve characteristics amongst the team and the voices turned out to be bettter than expected.
Also if the prologue episode is watched, i concluded that Ekimu gave them their new armour, not just a  reward for reclaiming his mask and stopping Kulta last year, but also possibly to be able to have better capacity control over the increased ammount of elemental energy withut being overwhelmed by it.

Overall i like this better than the original mask of light movie G1 started with.

• Upvote 1

qs3135.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know why everyone seems to be so negative about JTO, Honestly I think it's much better than the Last Bionicle Movie they made (massive beetle monster scares off the Skrull? Really? After all the ruthless characterization in the comics and we get that?). 

I personally am very excited to see how LEGO wants to develop the story. I won't mind a simpler story, simply because I love the toys as they are, but I think JTO has set up a very nice universe in which they can delve into darker themes and more complex narrative. The ending of JTO already had some amazing dark implications on Makuta's part and how the Hunter decided to split up the Toa from their Creatures was also very nicely executed the way I saw it. Much better than how Vakama decides to go all pissy and evil because of ONE mistake (honestly that was my only problem with Web of Shadows, ya you messed up Vakama, that's not an excuse to try kill all your friends, Matau had more a reason to go feral than Vakama).

In any case, if they bring back the comics, we could probably get our much needed (apparently) complex stories we are used to, otherwise I think we'll be waiting for a long while before the story starts to spin us for loops or anything like that.

Krika was best Makuta before he was a Makuta.

bb9af9ea1495203cfbbfed6bbce7027d.jpg