Bzprpg News And Discussion

Friar Tuck

Need staff approval. I understand if this gets a no, but it's not as bad as my last attempt. XDKanohi KaiokenIncreases strength and elemental power at the cost of durability. (takes more damage for each time user comes into contact with opponent, so the strength is only useful when the user has a weapon)It has multiple levels.Kaioken x2 doubles strength and power, divides durability in half.Kaioken x3 triples strength and power, gives user a third of the durability.And so on. It can be used safely up to x20, but going beyond that gives a risk of the body being unable to sustain itself at all. Oh, and are Masks of Gravity allowed?

Edited by Tahu Nuva Golden

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Need staff approval. I understand if this gets a no, but it's not as bad as my last attempt. XDKanohi KaiokenIncreases strength and elemental power at the cost of durability. (takes more damage for each time user comes into contact with opponent, so the strength is only useful when the user has a weapon)It has multiple levels.Kaioken x2 doubles strength and power, divides durability in half.Kaioken x3 triples strength and power, gives user a third of the durability.And so on. It can be used safely up to x20, but going beyond that gives a risk of the body being unable to sustain itself at all.Oh, and are Masks of Gravity allowed?

That does sound a little too much. Twenty times your usual strength and elemental energy? I don't think that's likely to be approved. Maybe if you limit it to just 2x?Yes, I believe so.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Kanohi Kaioken? What next? Kanohi Super Saiyan? Kanohi Oozaru?Basing powers off ones from the Dragonball franchise does not work. The powers have too much game-breaking potential, not that they weren't game-breaking at the start. You'd have to severely limit their strength to actually give it a chance of getting approved.

Need staff approval. I understand if this gets a no, but it's not as bad as my last attempt. XDKanohi KaiokenIncreases strength and elemental power at the cost of durability. (takes more damage for each time user comes into contact with opponent, so the strength is only useful when the user has a weapon)It has multiple levels.Kaioken x2 doubles strength and power, divides durability in half.Kaioken x3 triples strength and power, gives user a third of the durability.And so on. It can be used safely up to x20, but going beyond that gives a risk of the body being unable to sustain itself at all.Oh, and are Masks of Gravity allowed?

...You've gotta be pulling my leg here.ಠ_ಠ

helo frens

Oh, and as a side-note, carbon-copying ANYTHING gets on my nerves here. For example - almost every Pirate Captain in the RPG references Jack Sparrow in some way, but note that none of them are actually so very similar to him; I'm fine with that (and if I wasn't I'd be a hypocrite).But taking something directly out of another franchise and putting it here - where frankly it doesn't fit - is just unimaginative. I don't watch Dragonball and don't plan to, so please don't try to inject it in here.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Oh, and as a side-note, carbon-copying ANYTHING gets on my nerves here. For example - almost every Pirate Captain in the RPG references Jack Sparrow in some way, but note that none of them are actually so very similar to him; I'm fine with that (and if I wasn't I'd be a hypocrite).But taking something directly out of another franchise and putting it here - where frankly it doesn't fit - is just unimaginative. I don't watch Dragonball and don't plan to, so please don't try to inject it in here.

Geisthaende, I agree with you. But in this case I feel it's less 'carbon copying to make DBZ doods' than it is 'carbon copying to make DBZ-power level doods.'Again, I understand what you're saying and I agree with that. But I feel the problem here is separate if related and thus needs to be addressed separately:It is quite frankly ill-advised try to turn the BZPRPG in any form into a shounen fighting anime. I said it once and I'll say it again. There are no 'instant expert's, no mooks which can be torn through like paper, and no ludicrously powerful (albeit deadly) upgrades or one-winged angel forms.I'm not staff; therefore, my word is not law. So take it with a grain of salt.However, if one looks at FT's guide to Common Sense In The BZPRPG, one will see that he quite obviously disapproves of 'Super Saiyan'-ing and lack of realism (which touches on both treating NPCs like weeds and your char like a weedwhacker and instant expertise). So there is a good reason for y'all to take heed.-The Fearless Leader Edited by The Fearless Leader

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

I severely regret my involvement with the Doctor Who shenanigans. If you copy something, then after a while it becomes boring and stupid, a result of the fact that the franchises weren't meant to be mixed.Also, making people all powerful sucks. It makes all fights boring, and makes the characters one-dimensional and repetitive.

The above mask is certainly not okay.But guys, in the future, please PM me if you want something approved. Posting it here isn't the right place to do that - it takes up space, creates arguments, and just ends up confusing the person looking for approval. If you see somebody posting something that they want approved, please simply direct them to PM me. Don't tell them what they can/can't do, seeing as you don't know for sure and your word isn't official. The approval system isn't a jury of players. It's a dictatorship of staff. :PP.S.: Fearless Leader is very right in saying that this game is NOT a fighting anime. I could go ranting for a page and a half about all the mindset problems you guys have when it comes to this game and combat, but it's early and I'm tired so I won't. Just bear in mind that the BZPRPG isn't a contest. You can't win the BZPRPG. The game isn't about the pursuit of power and violence; it's about existence and interaction.

Edited by Nuju Metru

test2.png

But...You said you won't approve custom races...And Emzee hasn't given me his verdict yet...D:

The staff have different opinions on things - while I personally don't want to see custom races in the game, Emzee has the right to approve them if he thinks them fair and good.
I almost thought you said 'It is fair and just' at the end. :PIn other news, there's still a murderous Vortixx in Onu-Koro. He's free now, though. If anyone wants to interact with him. Please?

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

Pressure guns aren't really plausible, considering advanced plumbing/pneumatics don't widely exist.

COUNTER: The lava re-directional system seen in Onu-Koro in MNOLG and the Purifcation Puzzle in the Temple of Purity in MNOLG II. Also most of the motors in certain objects actually contain pneumatics of a kind.While I do agree that such drills in large numbers would be over the top I don't see the problem in using them in the second phase of mining (the first being the more common pickaxe digging to look for samples to test for veins) which would be digging the actual shaft that the miners would go into and then continue pickaxe mining to actually pry out the ore. The broken down waste created by the drill could be collected and broken down further in search of more minerals via sleues and fine digging using chisels in the third phase. In smaller numbers they'd actually be viable.However instead of the more advanced plumbing on it, it simply shifts the waste behind it off the to side where it would manually have to be carried away as getting water down there would be a pain and Onu-Matoran need the workout of carrying rocks anyway. ("Let us carry rocks together!")While we're on the subject, what about Matoran power? Couldn't they just turn a crank that would allow for the drill to move instead of all this fancy machinery? Or why not find a way to reproduce the mechanical mechanism of the smaller diggers on a larger scale? As large as it is, it might need an Ussal crab to move it and the crab can simply go in reverse or push the drill along while it goes.

With the power of Firefox now I CAN be in two places at once!

Things I've written: Interview with Nidhiki And other Interviews, TARGETED

Things I've guest stared/cameo'd in: Makuta infects the Eds! Seeing Thru the Fog

Thinks I've Co-authored: Adventures of Bolt and Company!

US Army Vet: HOORAH! BZPRPG Prof: Kalama

Pressure guns aren't really plausible, considering advanced plumbing/pneumatics don't widely exist.

COUNTER: The lava re-directional system seen in Onu-Koro in MNOLG and the Purifcation Puzzle in the Temple of Purity in MNOLG II. Also most of the motors in certain objects actually contain pneumatics of a kind.While I do agree that such drills in large numbers would be over the top I don't see the problem in using them in the second phase of mining (the first being the more common pickaxe digging to look for samples to test for veins) which would be digging the actual shaft that the miners would go into and then continue pickaxe mining to actually pry out the ore. The broken down waste created by the drill could be collected and broken down further in search of more minerals via sleues and fine digging using chisels in the third phase. In smaller numbers they'd actually be viable.However instead of the more advanced plumbing on it, it simply shifts the waste behind it off the to side where it would manually have to be carried away as getting water down there would be a pain and Onu-Matoran need the workout of carrying rocks anyway. ("Let us carry rocks together!")While we're on the subject, what about Matoran power? Couldn't they just turn a crank that would allow for the drill to move instead of all this fancy machinery? Or why not find a way to reproduce the mechanical mechanism of the smaller diggers on a larger scale? As large as it is, it might need an Ussal crab to move it and the crab can simply go in reverse or push the drill along while it goes.
the calvelry has arrived. I knew the whole, cannon thing, was over-the-top, but the drill part is, IMO plausible.and since there is a river in onu-koro, water could be trickled from it to the lower levels using pipes or carving a gutter, and that way, they would wash the rocks out of the hole, saving time, or something like that.i dont nkow why im still supporting this....

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

COUNTER: The lava re-directional system seen in Onu-Koro in MNOLG and the Purifcation Puzzle in the Temple of Purity in MNOLG II. Also most of the motors in certain objects actually contain pneumatics of a kind.
Not to mention the pump in Ga-Koro and the lava bridge in Ta-Koro (which was, I believe, operated by piping lava into cavities beneath the blocks).

Counter to your counter, Kalama: The key word of the post you quoted was "widely exist." I'm not saying that these technologies don't exist on Mata Nui, because they obviously do... I was trying to say nicely that I'd rather not let you use them on a large scale, and that the discussion was over. Since that clearly wasn't subtle enough for you, I'll just say it outright. I won't let you create new large-scale pneumatic/pressure machines, so stop asking. The field of possibilities that could extend from this is too wide and diverse to be regulated - plus, as you've proven time and time again, when I give an inch, you want to take a mile. Matoran power is totally viable as a power source, as long as you can explain the following: exactly how the body strength of said matoran is transferred into and harnessed by your machine; where the materials came from; how it was built; how the clockwork runs; and where you found the time to build it (which you'd have to do IC anyway). It actually would take a lot of fancy machinery - lots of gears and springs and whatnot - to make your drill idea work. Machines like the ones you imagine making are, in fact, complicated.But even then, even if you were totally responsible and logical about this machine, and even if all the above things I listed were perfectly justified, I could still annihilate your contraption and your characters without pausing to say please. I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it: don't push your limits. No matter what you do, or how reasonable you find it to be, I can tear it down if I feel like it's detrimental to the game.

test2.png

Can we just have a cool game in an awesome setting and enjoy it for what its worth? Screw making Matoran lives better with machines or try and raise the Koro into first world status, let's just immerse ourselves in the lore and mystery we indulged ourselves in in the first three years of Bionicle. Play on, play well. This ain't Sims or Civilization, this is a text based role playing game and let's take it for what it's worth.

Thank you, Emperor Whenua! I've been getting kinda' cranky (pardon the pun) about the whole process... Mainly with the back and forth between players and admins... Can't we just PM Nuju if we have a question about tech from now on? Or any other staff member? I feel the long, drawn out dialogues are making me crazy... Oh well, crazier anyways. I was talking about a v8 engine propulsion bike about ten pages back. :P Though I did say there'd be no way to power something like that...

It's not a bad idea Bulik. We just need to take a step back and remember what we're working with. Onu-Matoran are very sturdy and hardworking. They'd probably enjoy carrying rocks around more than letting water turn it to muck and do the work for them.I'm simply sick and tired of hearing all this pessimistic nay saying Nuju. I'm trying to work with this player to help him find a solution that fits when everybody else just sits back and says No. If we can provide the community with a viable successful designing process WHERE THEY CAN ACTUALLY SEE IT then we can probably cut down on the number of outrageous machinery. Very rarely does anything succeed on its first try. Parts of it might be pulled off and redesigned or scrapped. Sometimes you might even sit down and scrap a whole section and go "Back to the drawing board." Machines are actually very simple. You'd be surprised at how basic a lot of them are. They only look intimating to someone who doesn't take the time to pull them apart and actually figure out how they work. Anything "Advanced" is nothing more than simple "Basics" chained together.Lets take this drill for example. A Matoran turns a crankshaft that turns a small gear, this small gear turns a larger gear, this larger gear turns a medium sized gear, this medium sized gear then turns a large gear, this large gear turns a super sized gear which easily turns the drill and despite the force on the drill, the Matoran barely does any work. This can often be seen in devices such a pulley where the more pulles are used. The less exertion is needed to lift something.No EW we can't. Here's why. BIONICLE was designed to be an action series. There was no place for industry because the entire setting was about Heroes vs Villains. Sure somebody may have invented something but it went straight into the war effort and back to the action. This means if we were to follow the setting exclusively, nobody would be allowed to be anything but a warrior. No inventors, no fisherwomen, no merchants, nothing. You're a fighter or you can't play. Tuck has decreed that this is a sandbox setting where you can be allowed to be whatever you want to be. That means we're going to see inventors and they're going to invent wacky contraptions in an effort to make lives easier. To crush them continuously in their efforts is stifling their creativity and telling them "you need to be a fighter/explorer" since that's the only profession I haven't heard anybody bash AT ALL.Complain all you like, I'm going to make this sandbox dream of Tuck's a reality.

With the power of Firefox now I CAN be in two places at once!

Things I've written: Interview with Nidhiki And other Interviews, TARGETED

Things I've guest stared/cameo'd in: Makuta infects the Eds! Seeing Thru the Fog

Thinks I've Co-authored: Adventures of Bolt and Company!

US Army Vet: HOORAH! BZPRPG Prof: Kalama

It's not a bad idea Bulik. We just need to take a step back and remember what we're working with. Onu-Matoran are very sturdy and hardworking. They'd probably enjoy carrying rocks around more than letting water turn it to muck and do the work for them.I'm simply sick and tired of hearing all this pessimistic nay saying Nuju. I'm trying to work with this player to help him find a solution that fits when everybody else just sits back and says No. If we can provide the community with a viable successful designing process WHERE THEY CAN ACTUALLY SEE IT then we can probably cut down on the number of outrageous machinery. Very rarely does anything succeed on its first try. Parts of it might be pulled off and redesigned or scrapped. Sometimes you might even sit down and scrap a whole section and go "Back to the drawing board." Machines are actually very simple. You'd be surprised at how basic a lot of them are. They only look intimating to someone who doesn't take the time to pull them apart and actually figure out how they work. Anything "Advanced" is nothing more than simple "Basics" chained together.Openly criticising a staff member when they've given a decisive verdict and ruling is inadvisable...just saying.Lets take this drill for example. A Matoran turns a crankshaft that turns a small gear, this small gear turns a larger gear, this larger gear turns a medium sized gear, this medium sized gear then turns a large gear, this large gear turns a super sized gear which easily turns the drill and despite the force on the drill, the Matoran barely does any work. This can often be seen in devices such a pulley where the more pulles are used. The less exertion is needed to lift something.And the slower it moves. Simple gear physics. You can't magnify energy.No EW we can't. Here's why. BIONICLE was designed to be an action series. There was no place for industry because the entire setting was about Heroes vs Villains. Sure somebody may have invented something but it went straight into the war effort and back to the action. This means if we were to follow the setting exclusively, nobody would be allowed to be anything but a warrior. No inventors, no fisherwomen, no merchants, nothing. You're a fighter or you can't play. Tuck has decreed that this is a sandbox setting where you can be allowed to be whatever you want to be. That means we're going to see inventors and they're going to invent wacky contraptions in an effort to make lives easier. To crush them continuously in their efforts is stifling their creativity and telling them "you need to be a fighter/explorer" since that's the only profession I haven't heard anybody bash AT ALL.Except for the whole "This Isn't Anime" thing? Which seems to be one of the biggest issues cropping up in GT at the moment?Complain all you like, I'm going to make this sandbox dream of Tuck's a reality.

So, you will knowingly defy a staff member's decisions? Somehow I think there are better ways of getting what you want into the game.Regardless, your actions could spell trouble for other players. If Nuju (or any other member of the staff) decided that the very act of inventing things is going too far because you pushed limits you shouldn't have, how do you think players who also want to create new devices will feel? There is no certainty that they will also want to push said limits, and your actions could rob them of their way to play.I'm not a staff member, and I haven't even been in the BZPRPG for that long. However, I'd rather not see somebody ruin it for others simply because he couldn't have his way.

Lacertus

Ignoring the current debate, I'm more interested in this school thingy you guys were talking about previously. Where on the island you think would be the best location for that? Xa-koro maybe? Or somewhere near it?

I thought they were going to put it in ko-koro, not in the rahi infested area full of pirates. : Edited by Bulik

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Ignoring the current debate, I'm more interested in this school thingy you guys were talking about previously. Where on the island you think would be the best location for that? Xa-koro maybe? Or somewhere near it?

Definitely not Xa-koro. Maybe on a Kumu Islet. I doubt that a group of scholars/teachers/professors/etc. would live in such a shady place unless if they were teaching people how to be criminals and get away with it.-The Fearless Leader

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

well do you want a place where you can get mauled-to-death-by-rahi, drowned-to-death, or burned-in-lava-to-death? not to mention falling-to-death, gettting buried-alive-to-death, and crushed-by-monuments-to-death?

That does sound a little too much. Twenty times your usual strength and elemental energy? I don't think that's likely to be approved. Maybe if you limit it to just 2x?Yes, I believe so.
Ok, 2x. That sounds more reasonable...now who should I talk to about this?

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Well it appears that there is no seven, and two twos! :P

Argh, hasty pasting XD

and you forgot to atleast mention ga-wahi, which is in naho bay

Naho Bay pretty much IS Ga-Wahi, with the exception of some grassland to the south and west, which doesn't really appear on the map. I did not "forget".

On the topic of the school, I feel that having teachers who teach a class and a protege seems like, IMO, a lot of work for one Char. Thus I still think we should have some teachers who teach classes and others who teach proteges. Also if the location is Ko-Koro, I can easily tie the back story of Vernadon into it, and continuity is always good, right?

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

It's not a bad idea Bulik. We just need to take a step back and remember what we're working with. Onu-Matoran are very sturdy and hardworking. They'd probably enjoy carrying rocks around more than letting water turn it to muck and do the work for them.I'm simply sick and tired of hearing all this pessimistic nay saying Nuju. I'm trying to work with this player to help him find a solution that fits when everybody else just sits back and says No. If we can provide the community with a viable successful designing process WHERE THEY CAN ACTUALLY SEE IT then we can probably cut down on the number of outrageous machinery. Very rarely does anything succeed on its first try. Parts of it might be pulled off and redesigned or scrapped. Sometimes you might even sit down and scrap a whole section and go "Back to the drawing board." Machines are actually very simple. You'd be surprised at how basic a lot of them are. They only look intimating to someone who doesn't take the time to pull them apart and actually figure out how they work. Anything "Advanced" is nothing more than simple "Basics" chained together.Lets take this drill for example. A Matoran turns a crankshaft that turns a small gear, this small gear turns a larger gear, this larger gear turns a medium sized gear, this medium sized gear then turns a large gear, this large gear turns a super sized gear which easily turns the drill and despite the force on the drill, the Matoran barely does any work. This can often be seen in devices such a pulley where the more pulles are used. The less exertion is needed to lift something.No EW we can't. Here's why. BIONICLE was designed to be an action series. There was no place for industry because the entire setting was about Heroes vs Villains. Sure somebody may have invented something but it went straight into the war effort and back to the action. This means if we were to follow the setting exclusively, nobody would be allowed to be anything but a warrior. No inventors, no fisherwomen, no merchants, nothing. You're a fighter or you can't play. Tuck has decreed that this is a sandbox setting where you can be allowed to be whatever you want to be. That means we're going to see inventors and they're going to invent wacky contraptions in an effort to make lives easier. To crush them continuously in their efforts is stifling their creativity and telling them "you need to be a fighter/explorer" since that's the only profession I haven't heard anybody bash AT ALL.Complain all you like, I'm going to make this sandbox dream of Tuck's a reality.

You're tired of my naysaying, Kalama? Funny, I'm tired of my naysaying too. It's actually not enjoyable, believe it or not, to have to repeat myself this many times to emphasize to you the erroneousness of your ways. You're trying to push me on an issue where the inevitable answer is "no;" you won't get a "yes" just by pushing harder. In fact, that just makes me more determined to refuse. You are misunderstanding the central conceit of my stance. My main issue is not with the plausibility or logic of your machines (and about the gears thing, that's actually not correct - the drill will be faster, maybe, but less powerful if it's done through a complex gear system that distances it further from the main power source's axle of rotation - and the crank-turning power of one matoran is certainly not powerful enough to bore through rock. But I digress). Rather, the problem I have with your ideas is that they are contrary to the spirit of Mata Nui and, more importantly, of the game. Again, I repeat myself, and probably for the fourth time in two weeks: Mata Nui is NOT Metru-Nui. Even if the technology for certain devices or machines exists, that DOES NOT MEAN that the matoran of the island use it, or even want to use it. The Mata Nuians live in a cooperative way with nature, wherein they respect and admire it rather than try to dominate it by force.There is not an industrial economy to even drive such ambitious schemes as your mining one. What would they do with all that rock, anyway? Build a castle? We've seen how that ends; not only is there no desire to expand industrially, and no existing demand for industrial quantities of raw material, but there's also the fact that every matoran on the island knows that any advances will be crushed brutally by Makuta. He owns the island, and he has proven that he can destroy whatever he feels even remotely irked by. This is indeed a sandbox game, and that means that things are open-ended. But that doesn't mean you can go and develop nukes, for instance, or that you can have an alien race called "humans" arrive. Sandbox does not mean complete freedom. It's like the 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution - you're allowed to say almost anything you want, but you can't scream "fire!" in a crowded theater. Why? Because that particular instance of free speech is detrimental to society and potentially dangerous. The technology issue is in the same vein. You, as players, have freedom to make what you wish, but not if it will revolutionize the island adversely, or open up a Pandora's Box that will spiral out of control. Even though there may be the technology to make, say, water cannons, or tanks, I would never let those happen, because they'd change everything for the worse.Your mining idea is, as I said above, not realistic on Mata Nui; not for its technology, but for its purpose, scale, danger, and philosophy. But it's also a bad thing to bring into the game overall, because it gives everybody else the message that warping and corrupting the nature of the game's setting is okay. It isn't. As for being more than a hunter/fighter, that's totally okay - I welcome it, in fact. But professionalizing on a scale like you want to is just wrong. Also, don't pull Tuck into this when he can't speak for himself. That's not cool, especially since he is staff and his word, like mine, is law.Speaking of my word being law, this discussion is over. Bring the drilling idea, or anything for that matter, up again so impetuously and I will give you a strike.

test2.png