The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

a). it's not like this forum's exactly fostering my opinion, but also, b). I barely got any feedback, and the feedback I did get was mostly formatting issues

a) One bad apple spoils the whole bunch. We don't need one person with a doom and gloom attitude bringing down everyone who's trying to stay positive. b) There's no reason to complain because now your RPG is getting approvals just fine, maybe you should focus on that part and be happy?

Unless you've got some actual constructive criticism about something, let's leave this topic alone, shall we?

This.
  • Upvote 5

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

The only reason I submitted it that soon was because I got no feedback and because my boss told me so but that's not really important right now.

EDIT: Forgot that last point. Let's see what new things come in here and let this go.

Edited by IcarusBen

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Kind of wondering how it would be all that different from regular mafia.

So am I. My main question is how you'd translate the "roles" aspect from a regular game to an RPG, as well as keeping them hidden (assuming that aspect stayed).

It'd be a lot more work to turn Mafia into an RPG than Bionifight, that's for sure.

It might not even be possible, but I'm putting the challenge out there. :P

Wouldn't a mafia RPG pretty much require someone to get killed every day/night/whatever? Not sure how many players would really appreciate that. Unless all of the victims were NPCs, which would cheapen the effect a fair amount...

It'd be a lot more work to turn Mafia into an RPG than Bionifight, that's for sure.

Normally at this point I would say "challenge accepted" but not this time. It may indeed be impossible. 

Edited by Roman Torchwick

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Wouldn't a mafia RPG pretty much require someone to get killed every day/night/whatever? Not sure how many players would really appreciate that. Unless all of the victims were NPCs, which would cheapen the effect a fair amount...

Normally at this point I would say "challenge accepted" but not this time. It may indeed be impossible. 

I think we'd have to take into account that players would be role playing their characters in the story as well, though - while normally one day and night might last around that long in a typical Mafia game, I imagine that in an RPG, a single night "scene" might take as long as three weeks. 

That said, it would also involve a fairly constant level of character deaths; possibly a mix of NPCs and player characters? If the RPG had, say, three staff and each staff member has three characters, then their deaths could help to offset player character deaths. Plus random NPCs.

What if it were something like the Uprising series you're writing, Tex?

Maybe? Although it's not so much based upon Mafia anymore. I didn't even bother putting together a set of roles for Extermination; I just wrote out a plan and then wrote the epic itself. It ties into Mafia in different ways.

There is also the problem with actually killing the victims. It works in Mafia because the people being offed have no way to fight back. In an RPG, that changes.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

I had a little idea for how a Mafia RPG could work, actually.

Rather than distributing roles, everyone would sign up and state "I will be this, or I will be that." There will be the Mafia, and the Village. It would function much like a normal RPG. However, the Mafia would do their best to kill someone every "night" or so. The Village would try to actually gather evidence, and get enough to actually say "They did it."

Unfortunately, due to how this is, people would know exactly what to look for OOCly, even if they don't try to do so. But that's the main thing I can think of - people sign up, say which side, and they do what they are supposed to do. The village, eliminate or incarcerate the Mafia, the Mafia, try to eliminate the village.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Still runs into the problem of how difficult it would be to actually kill people.

Edit: Aaaaaand, ninjad.

Edited by Silvan Haven

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Still runs into the problem of how difficult it would be to actually kill people.

Edit: Aaaaaand, ninjad.

Yes, this would still be an issue.

Though I imagine the Mafia would be a tad more well-equipped than the villagers, at least in terms of weaponry. A Mafian is more likely to kill than, say, a normal villager would.

The thing stopping everyone from being Mafia, however, would be kinda simple: While the Mafia has stronger weapons, the Village actually has forensic tools of sorts to find who did the killings/assaults, if the target was not executed.

'Course, it could also go along the lines of "captured, and not killed until later". That is also a possibility.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Though I imagine the Mafia would be a tad more well-equipped than the villagers, at least in terms of weaponry. A Mafian is more likely to kill than, say, a normal villager would.

The thing stopping everyone from being Mafia, however, would be kinda simple: While the Mafia has stronger weapons, the Village actually has forensic tools of sorts to find who did the killings/assaults, if the target was not executed.

I think that would really come down to the skill of the RPer, not the equipment they're carrying. I've beaten people in other RPGs who had massive physical advantages over my character, and I've also had the opposite happen to me. 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I think that would really come down to the skill of the RPer, not the equipment they're carrying. I've beaten people in other RPGs who had massive physical advantages over my character, and I've also had the opposite happen to me. 

Well of course, it always comes down to RP skill. That's simply a given. The Mafia would still have to work to kill. Skill would be the biggest "who wins", but the Mafia will have an equipmental advantage in combat only.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

What if you worked in a "By The Numbers" style system?

You could obviously see who was trying to kill who, but you wouldn't be able to kill them without figuring out whose number is whose?

That's complicated enough in a regular Mafia game

Managing players in an RPG where you can drop in at anytime or could just stop playing, plus having multiple characters... I think the cons outweigh the pros as far as the numbers system being in an RPG.

• Upvote 1

For once, I think a time schedule would actually work well in an RPG if it's Mafia. I've got two ideas, very different, and one only loosely based on Mafia:

First, there would be a certain amount of Mafia members that would be strictly kept - no getting in or out. The Mafia then has a certain amount of IRL time (a month?) to flex their RP muscles and kill the roles that can stop them - Detective, Vigilante, Doctor, and the like. The Village can grow and shrink however whenever to allow for new players, but if someone is already playing and they get a character killed, they have to wait until the end. If the Mafia run out of time or get lynched (maybe there would be an option of an IC lynching every three or six days), they lose, and if they eliminate their opposition or kill enough of the Village, they win, and in the universe everyone is revived and assigned their roles. It would be a sick game, and eventually the characters could maybe band together and refuse to keep playing and fight back against their "god," and maybe there would be a group who are addicted to playing the game and don't want to stop. Yes, I realize this would have to put a ton of faith in RPers to not godmod, but I think it could work. It would require the staff to be on 24/7, though.

My other idea is very loosely based on Mafia, but it would be an RPG where every PC is an assassin and trying to kill each other. Again, maybe a time cycle would work well, or maybe it could just be a permadeath RPG. This would require players to be as fair as possible (again, more faith than is warranted), and it would have to be stressed from the beginning that you should not get attached to your character(s?), especially if it's permadeath. Maybe there are different factions, and each kill furthers the goal - maybe it could be another sick game, or a training simulation, and this one might be voluntary.

Again I'll stress that any Mafia-based or -inspired RPG would have to put so much faith in it's members, and have a staff that is always on top of things. Sounds like something that wouldn't keep up for long due to staff fatigue, but I think both ideas do sound fun, if not within the realm of likelihood.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

With so many RPGs in the making, you might want to make this a long term plan. Sounds interesting, though. You'll need to scrape together  some more info on how things really work, but this has some potential to it.

Yeah... just sayin', but between the BZPRPG, Corpus Rahkshi, Tanks, Asylum, and Bionifight, I kinda think the RPG overload warning light is just about triggered. :P

I'd say wait until another RPG loses traction before we come up with any more new RPGs. 

That's actually kinda too bad, though. I had an interesting idea for a sort of Bionicle-Digimon crossover thing. Sadly, I doubt I have any time for it. Kinda sad, in a way. Still...

Terimon Warp Digivolve to....

*digimon, digital monsters, digimon are the champions* *from Terimon to Rahkshimon to Makutamon to*

DarkMatanuimon!

OR...

Matoromon Warp Digivolve to....

*digimon, digital monsters, digimon are the champions* *from Matoromon to Kopakamon to NuvaKopakamon to*

SkyKopakamon!

I could create an entire Digivolution tree with a whole butt-ton of Bionicle-based Digimon!

(Or, rather 81 Japanese butt-tons, 6 Danish butt-tons or 0.9 European butt-tons.)

I doubt it's a good idea, but, eh, worth a shot.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

In no way am I saying that I could/would do either of those ideas. My free time is negligible, and I would be both a terrible GM and a terrible player due to the time sensitivity. I was throwing the ideas out for the sake of Voltex, seeing as he wanted to see ideas that might work for a Mafia RPG.

Also, does the four RPG limit include the BZPRPG or not? I assumed it wouldn't, seeing as it's a permanent staple of the forum, but from discussion here it sounds like it is.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

The BZPRPG is completely separate from the Judging system. It doesn't factor in. People are just being foolish about their comparisons. :P

Edited by Ninth Krayzikk
  • Upvote 1

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I thought Digimon was ancient history.

No but really though, that could be interesting.

Edited by Arzaki

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I thought Digimon was ancient history.

No but really though, that could be interesting.

They literally just announced a new season and they dubbing the newest released one. It can't be that ancient.

I'm actually writing up an evolutionary chart. I probably won't post the RPG until a few months from now, but it's always good to know that FrozenMatoramon's Ultimate level is Kopakamon, or that the ---Matoramon family digivolve from the Baby Digimon Protomon.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Firstly, google the first episode of season 1 or season 3 and you'll kinda-sorta understand what Digimon is.

As for the evolutionary chart, here it is.

Protomon ---> SilverMatoramon ---> ROOKIE

FireMatoramon ---> Vakamamon ---> Tahumon ---> NuvaTahumon
AquaMatoramon ---> Nokamamon ---> Galimon ---> NuvaGalimon
SkyMatoramon ---> Mataumon ---> Lewamon ---> NuvaLewamon
StoneMatoramon ---> Onewamon ---> Pohatumon ---> NuvaPohatumon
EarthMatoramon ---> Whenua ---> Onuamon ---> NuvaOnuamon
IceMatoramon ---> Nujumon ---> Kopakamon ---> NuvaKopakamon
BlackMatoramon ---> Terimon ---> Makutamon ---> BlackMatanuimon
LightMatoramon ---> Takuamon ---> Takanuvamon ---> Matanuimon

The top line is Baby - In-Training - Rookie, the second paragraph is Rookie - Champion - Ultimate - Mega.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png