OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Are you saying the $15 sets AREN'T complex? Sure, they might not be as big as the larger sets, but let's not kid ourselves here. Gali has five or six less pieces than Tahu and she's arguably a better set than he is for her price and size. As for consistency, I don't know if you've looked, but all six Toa look pretty darn consistent with each other.

I've looked, and when Tahu and Gali and Pohatu are standing next to each other it's pretty easy to tell who's the $20 set.

Also, as I've said before, a quarter of Gali's pieces (22) are used in her weapon, and most of these are small TECHNIC pieces.  Tahu has two giant swords that are 7 pieces combined.  Piece count isn't a good metric of worth in constraction.  And while I agree that Gali is my favorite of the Toa so far, that's subjective.  Tahu's still pretty neat.

It's not that unreasonable to want the six main sets to be in the same price bracket.  It may be an unusual criticism to make, sure, but it's not some ridiculous thing.

I like the sets being at different price brackets because it results in more variety. Sure, you could give Lewa, Gali, and Pohatu longer legs, wider shoulders, and heavier armor if their price point were raised, but I certainly wouldn't want to. It's really cool that each character has different body proportions from the others. It reminds me of the Toa Mahri, though the new Toa have better arm proportions, are much less bony, have more consistent armor styles, and their heights do not vary quite so much (a difference of just four modules between the tallest and shortest instead of five and a half).

I can understand why some people might want the Toa more uniform. But personally, I think their diversity is one of their most appealing qualities. And it's somewhat unusual that somebody looking for a more uniform team of Toa would want them all to be at the HIGHER price point, instead of the lower one — most of the price concerns I've seen have less to do with the characters' designs and more with $20 being a lot more than many BIONICLE fans expect to pay for a regular Toa.

• Upvote 2

I like the variety of sets too, I just don't see the point of ridiculing a reviewer for not liking it.

And for the record, Tahu's lava blades are two large silver pieces, two smaller red pieces, and two pins. Almost all of the Toa weapons are Technic like because of the dual functionality.

I know what Tahu's swords are made of.  It was my point.  When people cite piece count as a measure of a constraction set's worth (e.g. Tahu and Gali have almost the same number of pieces and are $5 apart, Pohatu has fewer pieces than the Protector of Fire and is $5 more) it ignores the differences in piece size.  The inclusion of many small pieces tends to inflate the relative piece count, like with the Protectors including 12+ studs as ammo.  Gali's weapon has 3x the number of pieces as Tahu's swords, but they probably use similar amounts of plastic.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

Personally, I don't judge things by piece count because I think that looks and playablity factor more into price worthiness.

One downside of the new Toa is that they've exposed the Inika build as producing sets as skinny as a twig.

The more I look at the new Toa, the more I appreciate them :) these Toa have the best set of proportions imo

I must say, I'm not quite sure why Lego decided to switch to this new shade of blue for Gali and the Protector of Water, since the old shade was, I believe, still in use last year - but I'm very happy that they did so. I'm liking this brighter blue a lot and I hope it stays around for awhile.

I like the new shades of blue and green because unlike the Mata colors, they go together quite well. I don't have Tahu or the PoF yet, but I suspect that Pohatu's orange will match Tahu's red better than the Mata brown did.

I also like the new shade of blue because I happen to like it a lot more than royal blue, even before I learned that Bionicle was using it. It's just such a pretty color!

IetTsFQ.png

I must say, I'm not quite sure why Lego decided to switch to this new shade of blue for Gali and the Protector of Water, since the old shade was, I believe, still in use last year - but I'm very happy that they did so. I'm liking this brighter blue a lot and I hope it stays around for awhile.

Both shades of blue (Bright Blue and Medium Blue) are still in production and probably always will be. The same applies to Lewa's classic greens (Dark Green and Bright Yellowish Green). In both cases, I think the reasons for changing were twofold. Firstly, that the chosen colors were somewhat of a happy medium between the primary and secondary colors of the classic sets, and secondly because the new colors are generally more vibrant than the classic colors, and as such could potentially have more shelf appeal. These factors also apply to Pohatu's Dark Orange, although in his case one of his classic colors (Earth Orange) WAS in fact discontinued back in 2004.

Anyway, I agree about Gali's Dark Azur. It's a gorgeous color and I hope it continues to be used in constraction at least throughout the new Bionicle's run.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Both shades of blue (Bright Blue and Medium Blue) are still in production and probably always will be. The same applies to Lewa's classic greens (Dark Green and Bright Yellowish Green). In both cases, I think the reasons for changing were twofold. Firstly, that the chosen colors were somewhat of a happy medium between the primary and secondary colors of the classic sets, and secondly because the new colors are generally more vibrant than the classic colors, and as such could potentially have more shelf appeal. These factors also apply to Pohatu's Dark Orange, although in his case one of his classic colors (Earth Orange) WAS in fact discontinued back in 2004.

Anyway, I agree about Gali's Dark Azur. It's a gorgeous color and I hope it continues to be used in constraction at least throughout the new Bionicle's run.

I never got the whole 'Dark Azure' thing. To me, dark blue is dark blue.

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

I think BZP's video review of Tahu was defs the best one on Youtube.

;)

I quite liked that review! You had a lot of charm and made it fun to watch. I believe you covered most of the pros and cons. Good review!

I just watch LegomationStudio video review of the new bionicle sets along with two of my friends on skype and...          my god  :sick:

He's still the worst reviewer I had ever watched, he don't know what new and what old, he think tahu had "TOO MCUH GOLD" and think it would had been better if the $15 sets was $20. (who in the world still like that guy videos, I'm sorry if I'm going on a big rage about the guy by my god, he's stupid) what next, he think it would be better if Lord of Skull Spider was $50.

Note: He is now going to have a series that I'm going to make now because of how much those video made me want to rage  :burnmad:  :burnmad:

Seriously, dude, calm down. There's no need to senselessly rage and hold personal vendettas against him like that. Those complaints are actual complaints that a lot of people would agree with. I for example, agree with not liking the gold and it looking too off. I don't know about the price thing, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. In fact, perhaps he wanted those smaller sets to be as large as the the larger toa so there could be some sort of consistency or complexity among all of them.

What you're doing now feels more like flaming that posting actual constructive criticism. Remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that sometimes that opinion can needlessly hurt others. Legomation has feelings no less than you do, and I can imagine that seeing a comment like yours could really make him upset. If you want to post good advice he could use to make his reviews better, excellent, amazing! But if you just want to hurt their feelings because they personally don't like them, then that's not very mature at all.

Are you saying the $15 sets AREN'T complex? Sure, they might not be as big as the larger sets, but let's not kid ourselves here. Gali has five or six less pieces than Tahu and she's arguably a better set than he is for her price and size. As for consistency, I don't know if you've looked, but all six Toa look pretty darn consistent with each other.

Dude, I didn't even say that that was how I felt. Don't start calling me out for something I don't even think...

And Bfahome said it well. Let's also remember that complexity isn't a direct equivalent of quality. The fifteen dollar sets are no less complex than the twenty dollar ones but it depends largely on how one views the pieces.

I never got the whole 'Dark Azure' thing. To me, dark blue is dark blue.

But to most Bionicle fans or even Lego fans in general, Earth Blue (Metru Blue) is Dark Blue. Lego has a fair number of blue colors, even limiting yourself just to active ones, and it's hard to name them all on a neat and orderly scale—especially when the "azure" colors are decidedly more greenish than the traditional blues, but not as green as retired colors like Bright Bluish Green (Teal, as used in Kongu).

In the case of Dark Azur, "Dark Blue" would be a pretty bad name because it's not actually darker than Bright Blue, but is more like a value between Bright Blue and Medium Blue. And that's where sites like Bricklink get into terrible names like "Medium Dark Flesh" or "Bright Light Orange".

Edited by Lyichir

Gosh I hope we see teal come back. We got brown and purple back, so maybe there's a chance...if we get Jaller and co. as Toa again, hopefully their color schemes will be done right.

Lego rarely ever adds new colors to their color palette anymore, and pretty much never reinstates retired colors.

Conceivably, we might see a new blue-green color, particularly if a license requires it and none of the currently-in-use blues or greens would suffice. But even then it's incredibly unlikely that it'd be an exact match for the classic teal (Bright Bluish Green).

Of course, if you mean "bring back" as in "use a similar color", like Pohatu did... they already have. Gali's Dark Azur is pretty much the closest current color to Bright Bluish Green.

In closing, never forget: Mark Stafford Killed Teal.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 2

Anyway...speaking of colors, I hope we see some sets in the summer with more spring yellowish green and earth blue pieces. The former is really rare in the first place, and the latter disappeared from constraction after Bionicle ended, so their applications in MOCs are pretty limited since so far we only have Skull Spiders in those colors. A set with spr. yl. green shells would be awesome.

AXKP5KC.png

Anyway...speaking of colors, I hope we see some sets in the summer with more spring yellowish green and earth blue pieces. The former is really rare in the first place, and the latter disappeared from constraction after Bionicle ended, so their applications in MOCs are pretty limited since so far we only have Skull Spiders in those colors. A set with spr. yl. green shells would be awesome.

Hm, I'm not quite sure about yellow-green, but I'd be really eager to see earth blue again. It's a really neat color. 

"Mark Stafford killed Teal'.

No he didn't.

Well, he sort of did. Did you click the link?

Yes I did. All I got from it was that if he made some set with one color it would 'kill' the other. As far as I'm concerned I didn't know colors could be killed. 

Colors can be killed just like how wearing shoulder pads was killed after the '80s. Nobody uses them anymore. 

bZpOwEr

Hm, I'm not quite sure about yellow-green, but I'd be really eager to see earth blue again. It's a really neat color. 

No he didn't.

Yes I did. All I got from it was that if he made some set with one color it would 'kill' the other. As far as I'm concerned I didn't know colors could be killed. 

Colors can be killed just like how wearing shoulder pads was killed after the '80s. Nobody uses them anymore. 

True. 

Lara Croft

No he didn't.

It's a joke. I think it's a joke even he's in on (pretty sure I've seen Mark Stafford himself has worn the "Mark Stafford Killed Teal" shirt at events). He recognizes that he had a choice between colors and chose what seemed like it would be the most perennially useful (not knowing that the Harry Potter theme would return and with it necessitate the return of Medium Lilac, while Bright Bluish Green disappeared for good).

I'm not trying to slander him or anything; in fact, he's one of my favorite Lego designers. Just trying to simultaneously drop a little knowledge and levity in this discussion.

More Earth Blue and Spring Yellowish Green would be nice. Then again, so would more Olive Green and Earth Green—rarely used outside of Chima constraction sets. And on that note, let's not forget Reddish Brown, Dark Brown and Sand Yellow—all brown colors recently introduced to the CCBS in last year's Legends of Chima sets, but begging for greater circulation!

Of course, as much as I'd like to see rare constraction colors in greater quantities, more colors that are entirely new to constraction would be great as well! Bright Reddish Violet? Lavender? Medium Lavender? Aqua? Even with Lego's more modest color palette these days, there are a lot of possibilities for new colors to use!

No he didn't.

True. 

Apparently the Toa didn't get that memo... except Pohatu, he got the no-shoulder-pad memo sadly. :P  

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

• Upvote 3

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

HE CAN FEEL THE POEEEEEWWWWWWWWRRRR

That aside, pretty good episode. Somewhat better paced than the first 3. Wish the journeys had been elaborated on a little if they really lasted weeks, what with potential Protector character-building and Master-Protector bonding, but I guess it's fine....

Edited by farmstink buttlass
  • Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

That episode sucked.

RUN? WHY WOULD TAHU RUN? He has four swords and his protector by his side and he runs from ten spiders?

They could have taken those spiders. I could see them running if the LOSS  was right on their heels and they had to move but fighting off a couple of tiny spiders?

The mask wasn't in any danger. They could have cleaned house, grabbed the mask, and then met Gali and the Protector of Water for drinks. The spiders didn't show up until after they entered the temple and even then the Protector of Fire killed like six of them with three shots. Why didn't he use his fire tonfas?

They didn't even let us see how the other Toa got their masks. Also, that lava surfing was weak. 

*Sigh* Nevermind. I'll just stick to the CGI commercial.  

Lara Croft

ten spiders

a couple of tiny spiders

this_is_ten.png

Four swords don't do much good if you only have two hands.

Would you stand your ground if you had, say, a horde of army ants bearing down on you?  They're actually tiny, not "it's only the size of my entire head" tiny.  And they'd probably kill you.

No point in taking a stupid risk.

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

ten spiders

a couple of tiny spiders

this_is_ten.png

Would you stand your ground if you had, say, a horde of army ants bearing down on you?  They're actually tiny, not "it's only the size of my entire head" tiny.  And they'd probably kill you.

I'm not saying he could have beat them all. I'm saying that he should have at least torched the first few lines before running.

Lara Croft

That was a fun, if somewhat lightweight episode. Though I am starting to wish they'd gotten a more vocally and dramatically talented narrator.

RUN? WHY WOULD TAHU RUN? He has four swords and his protector by his side and he runs from ten spiders?

They could have taken those spiders. I could see them running if the LOSS  was right on their heels and they had to move but fighting off a couple of tiny spiders?

"Tahu had no idea what heroes normally did when facing a threat like this." He is rather lacking in the knowledge department (due either to amnesia or a simple lack of experience,) and it thus seems reasonable that he will have to learn/relearn fighting skills. This isn't, for all intents and purposes, the Tahu we're used to. Nor did he spring from his crater confident and fully ready to overcome the enemy. I rather like that.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat
  • Upvote 2

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

ten spiders

a couple of tiny spiders

this_is_ten.png

I'm not saying he could have beat them all. I'm saying that he should have at least torched the first few lines before running.

I don't think that would have accomplished much, aside from giving the spiders even more time to flank them.  Which is bad, especially when your enemy is something that can latch onto your head and take control of your mind.  There's a reason most people don't last long against Facehuggers in Alien media.  It only takes one.

(Also you did say "they could have cleaned house" which rather implies wiping out every spider.)

OpAXNpl.jpg

'And it was while Tahu was surfing down the lava on his board towards the Golden Mask that he realized that he needed to embrace his inner He-Man to succeed!' :P

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

Anyways, I really liked this episode. I like that the Protectors, or at least the Fire one, can hold their own in a fight like this. At least to an extent. Also, I do admit that it was weird seeing Tahu run from the Skull Spiders instead of trying to fight them. But like the narrator said, he didn't know what a hero would do in that situation. And it ended up for the best, since it got him to his Golden Mask. 

Overall, it was a great episode and I can't wait for the next one.

• Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

ten spiders

a couple of tiny spiders

this_is_ten.png

I don't think that would have accomplished much, aside from giving the spiders even more time to flank them.  Which is bad, especially when your enemy is something that can latch onto your head and take control of your mind.  There's a reason most people don't last long against Facehuggers in Alien media.  It only takes one.

(Also you did say "they could have cleaned house" which rather implies wiping out every spider.)

Oh, yes. Because they are going to ave their main hero and the face of the series get mind controlled so early. They had a chance to make Tahu hot stuff and they didn't do it. 

Lara Croft

Oh, yes. Because they are going to ave their main hero and the face of the series get mind controlled so early. They had a chance to make Tahu hot stuff and they didn't do it. 

I'm not sure why you're expecting that all to happen in one episode.  It's, like, painfully obvious that they're setting up the next Tahu episode or two to be his time to shine.

1. He's about to grab the mask.

2. We already have an animation of him putting the mask on from the masks promo, so it's going to happen.

3. The Protector of Fire is about to be mobbed by Skull Spiders.

4. Every comic that comes with the Toa shows them saving the Protectors from mind control and getting their upgrades.

This wasn't the finale, it's just one in a string of episodes.  People complain about how the story's "over" already because a promo showed the Toa getting their masks, but we've still got a long way to go and there are going to be many more episodes.

And I'd rather they not all be about the heroes Leeroy Jenkinsing into battle and magically winning every time.  Lewa still needs his stint under mind control, after all.

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 4

OpAXNpl.jpg

I'm not sure why you're expecting that all to happen in one episode.  It's, like, painfully obvious that they're setting up the next Tahu episode or two to be his time to shine.

2. We already have an animation of him putting the mask on from the masks promo, so it's going to happen.

4. Every comic that comes with the Toa shows them saving the Protectors from mind control and getting their upgrades.

This wasn't the finale, it's just one in a string of episodes.  People complain about how the story's "over" already because a promo showed the Toa getting their masks, but we've still got a long way to go and there are going to be many more episodes.

And I'd rather they not all be about the heroes Leeroy Jenkinsing into battle and magically winning every time.  Lewa still needs his stint under mind control, after all.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought every biomechanical hero with element masks and large weapons would use them to fight their sworn enemies. They already showed them getting their masks and transforming. WHY do we need to see Tahu (and the others) grab it for the thousandth time?

This new way of storytelling isn't working out. The animation sucks and Tahu has been turned into a coward after I saw him kick spider butt in his own character video. 

Lara Croft

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought every biomechanical hero with element masks and large weapons would use them to fight their sworn enemies. They already showed them getting their masks and transforming. WHY do we need to see Tahu (and the others) grab it for the thousandth time?

This new way of storytelling isn't working out. The animation sucks and Tahu has been turned into a coward after I saw him kick spider butt in his own character video. 

What. The character videos were cut from episodes we haven't seen yet, which are where we will actually see them get their masks and start fighting the spiders and stuff. The character videos are not actually part of the story the same way the episodes are. This shouldn't be that difficult to grasp. Has really little to do with the storytelling since those were just promo videos. And they're not "after" anything, since again the stuff you see in the character video hasn't actually happened.

Anyway, running from danger you don't know you can beat doesn't exactly make him a coward since again there's the whole amnesia thing to consider. He's getting to the point where he kicks spider butt, but at the current moment he's not ready. Plus, we need to have the Skull Spiders as a credible threat. Their strength is in numbers, and the episode showed that clearly.

Also the animation really didn't suck but whatever.

Edited by farmstink buttlass
  • Upvote 3

AXKP5KC.png

I would hardly call the Skull Spiders the Toa's "sworn enemies".  Right now they're an obstacle.  I doubt even the Lord of Skull Spiders would qualify as a "sworn enemy", because I highly doubt it's the one pulling all the strings.

The reason we need to see Tahu grabbing the mask for the "thousandth time" (quickest thousand I've ever counted) is because this is the point in the story where he actually does that.  The first one was basically the preview, and this time we're getting all the surrounding details.

I don't think you understand what cowardice is, if you truly believe that retreating was "cowardly".  Not everything has to be a fight.  It'd be nice if this was an indication that we're getting some depth to the characters, who might actually choose other tactics than "charge in and punch the problem until it goes away".  That's not courage, that's just stupidity.

• Upvote 4

OpAXNpl.jpg

ten spiders

a couple of tiny spiders

this_is_ten.png

That assumes that Tahu knows how to use his elemental powers, let alone even has access to them. I suspect that the Toa aren't able to use their powers until they have their golden masks.

• Upvote 1