OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Prowl Nightwolf, it has been confirmed that there are only six protectors. What you want to be true, and what is true are simply two different things. You don't have to accept these notions, but they're still true. Besides, if every villager were a protector, then why the heck would they need the Toa to save the island? The answer: they wouldn't.

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 1

Prowl Nightwolf, it has been confirmed that there are only six protectors. What you want to be true, and what is true are simply two different things. You don't have to accept these notions, but they're still true. Besides, if every villager were a protector, then why the heck would they need the Toa to save the island? The answer: they wouldn't.

Says who? The Toa are more powerful than the Protectors. The Protectors be them one of a single element or more than one, do not have the power to fight this great evil. I don't know where it is confirmed that there is of one of each. So it stands to reason even if all or even just some of the villagers are Protectors that does not mean that they wouldn't need extra help. That would be like saying the Turaga or Matoran didn't need the Toa's help to defeat the Rahi or Makuta. If they didn't why summon them or have them to begin with?

In the Prophecy of Hero's from the animation and that is what we are talking about yes? States that they only needed one from each tribe. Not that there is only one for each tribe. Now when looking as a set form, I agree there is only one of each Protector. That was the idea. Speaking set wise there is only one of each design. One Protector for each Toa. As I described in my last post there are conflicting information in the animation.

Villagers having multi-colored masks when one tries to say only Protectors have multi-colored masks.

The Prophesy stating "The Protectors must unite, one from each tribe." suggesting the possibility of multiple from each tribe instead of "The Protector of each tribe must unite." Suggesting there being only one in story. Putting a Gen1 spin on the quote would read. "The Turaga must unite, one from each tribe." then again, "The Turaga of each tribe must unite." See how strange that sounds? We know in hindsight that there was only ever one Turaga for each Koro over the Multiple Matoran. Though the term Turaga is both singular and plural so maybe that is why.

Your notation seems to stem from the idea that "Protector" means warrior or defender. Somebody who protects. Well normally this could be the case. However in Bionicle this may not be so. Or maybe it is. If it is Protector of the elements, or Protectors of the Island. Protector of the Masks.. etc... The term and value though can change based on what a person is the Protector of. The whole of Okoto society can be protectors. That doesn't mean they don't need Heroes(Toa) when things got too difficult to handle. To further on the idea is as follows. The Protector of water does what? Protects the water of Okoto? Or is it more along the likes of a water element Protector? Protector of Fire... Does he Protect the fire of the island? Maybe he protects the villagers from fire? Seems to me in fitting with the Bionicle theme that is a fire element Protector. This is equally true of the other Protectors.

So where is this confirmation that there is only 6 Protectors? or that all the Villagers have the same build? I think even with the animations that we have I have shown that one cannot support their idea that the villagers are all the same save for color, or that only the leaders have non-solid colored masks. That is, if you even read my last post. Where is your evidence to the contrary? Telling me "This is how it is where you believe it or not." seems like a blind argument to me. Like when the world was believed to be flat just because somebody said it was. I placed a theory with evidence to back it up. So where is the contradictory?

You may try to tear down my evidence and I already have to an extent robbing you of the pleasure. However what I have still strengthens the logic behind my argument as it stands. I submit to you. Prove me wrong without a shadow of a doubt. Not for you, whom already believes the idea, but for someone who does not. Make a believer out of me... I want proof. Not just some trickery of words that could be misconstrued as fact.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Prove me wrong without a shadow of a doubt. Not for you, whom already believes the idea, but for someone who does not. Make a believer out of me... I want proof. Not just some trickery of words that could be misconstrued as fact.

Seriously? The only "trickery of words that could be misconstrued" that is evident to me is your linguistic gymnastics regarding the interpretation of "one from each tribe." The existence of only one Protector from each tribe is a simple fact. Nothing tricky about it.

~B~

• Upvote 5

I think someone said I tried to make it sound like there was more than one Matoran or that they weren't the leaders. Let me try to clarify; not elder doesn't mean not leader. The Protectors are the leaders, just not elders. Not every tribal leader has to be an old guy.

• Upvote 3

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I had no idea this existed until I discovered it by accident:

The clip with the CGI Mask of Creation appears to be slightly different from the CGI commercial we've seen, as the Mask of Creation has lightning rather than swirly stuff around it. Interesting...

EDIT: Also, now we all know thatBionicle is NEW and NOW!!! :P

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator
  • Upvote 5

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I sure hope we get some crazy news soon, cause this topic has gone off the rails and people are bickering over nonsense. 

So is anyone else here fans of Warframe and have been calling Onua, Tahu and Kopaka, Onua Prime Tahu Prime and Kopaka Prime? I've been playing Warframe since open beta (Excalibur Prime for the win!) so maybe it's just me but they are totally Prime Toa, amiright?

• Upvote 2

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

The only news that we're likely to see before the summer sets drop, is either going to be more info about the coming books and/or Lego accidentally dropping some summer story.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

SO when I went to go to Federal Way to purchase some home decor (ooh so fancy) I decided to stop by the Target. 

GOOD NEWS: Most everyone was there. Didn't see anything of the DREADED ONUA CLEARANCE.

BAD NEWS: No cool Bionicle runner. Just a Easter/Minecraft one and... something called PAW Patrol? :(

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

Prowl is starting to sound like a linkfic writer; "There are more than six protectors!"

"No there aren't. They said so"

"Where?"

"Here?"

"But this could mean there are more than one from each tribe, see?"

"But it does say there are six."

"That doesn't mean there aren't more."

"Occam's Razor?"

"Don't come here with your logical tendencies. I want there to be more protectors and I will believe this contrary to any proof you can provide. I will also present that same proof to convince you I'm right."

"Knock yourself out," *sensible people leave*

• Upvote 6

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I just finished blogging about him but I still want to show off my Pohatu:

fd2a0d2c402b24ee47c397e057107783.png

He looks kinda cool, i think. Back.

Anyway yeah, my order from Toys R Us came, carrying within Tahu, Pohatu, PoF and PoS. I was very pleased with Pohatu. He is definitely a very solid design. Not solid enough that I wasn't going to mess it up with tan, because those shells were expensive, but still.

PoS is pretty cool. The weapon is absurdly long, but it works well. The only modification I made to him was adding one of Pohatu's leftover silver shells to his back.

PoF really is a mess. I mean obviously I knew how awful his arms were, but wow, no I did not. They are so bad. Needless to say I tried to fix those suckers. replaced the dark stone gray bone with a 5m black lower bone, attached to red 3m bones for elbows. Added some more red to his scheme, which he desperately needed, and gave him articulation, so it was an easy fix. Unfortunately replacing the black 3m bones in his legs results in too much red around that area, so I skipped on that. Kind of want to get those red small beast feet now to see how they would look...anyway, at least PoF has the best chest design out of all the Protectors. That...counts for something, though the silver feels a bit out of place, really.

Tahu is pretty alright. Solid color scheme, and cool chest print, plus cool weapons, but...oh good lord, those legs are absurdly long. They're just. Ridiculous. Especially since the arms and torso are no longer than on any other Toa. It just looks pretty weird. It may be how uncovered the hip bones are that is responsible for that, though. Also having two friction extenders per leg is really really obnoxious. Sometimes a man just wants to move his Toa's legs. It's kind of annoying. These really aren't big enough problems to distract from a solid set overall...but I will say that he still probably is my least favorite of the Toa. Which is too bad, but eh, it had to be somebody.

And now I have them all. (check out that hot pile of boxes on the edge there) Well, except LoSS, but who even cares about him. I've got Mixels to buy.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

So where is this confirmation that there is only 6 Protectors? or that all the Villagers have the same build? I think even with the animations that we have I have shown that one cannot support their idea that the villagers are all the same save for color, or that only the leaders have non-solid colored masks. That is, if you even read my last post. Where is your evidence to the contrary? Telling me "This is how it is where you believe it or not." seems like a blind argument to me. Like when the world was believed to be flat just because somebody said it was. I placed a theory with evidence to back it up. So where is the contradictory?

The confirmation that there are only six Protectors is here, on page 11. But admittedly, this is contradicted by the summary of the Region of Earth on page 4. One page or the other is incorrect.

We DO have confirmation from NYCC that the Protector sets specifically represent the village chieftains. And as I mentioned before, back in 2001 each Turaga was referred to specifically as "protector of [their Toa's] legend." As with the Turaga, descriptions of the Protectors' personalities consistently put strong emphasis on their wisdom. I don't really see any point in questioning how or why "Protector" can refer to village cultural and spiritual leaders — there's no reason why it couldn't or shouldn't, and it in fact has been used in that sense in the past.

I wouldn't take for granted that all normal villagers have the same build, though. Currently in the animations they generally do, but anything can change. Remember, before 2002, we hadn't seen any Onu-Matoran with orange masks, but after Nuparu showed up in 2002, the Mata Nui Online Game II in 2003 had several of them. Background characters' appearances are beholden to the needs of the sets and story. Currently, none of the regular villagers stand out (besides, of course, the wide-eyed fire villager people have nicknamed "Two-Kua") because none of them need to stand out (law of conservation of detail). But if, say, the LEGO Group decides to release some regular villagers as sets next year, it's unlikely in this day and age that they'd release six complete clones who vary only by color.

• Upvote 3

Prowl is starting to sound like a linkfic writer; "There are more than six protectors!"

I have no idea what this means but somehow it sounds like an insult :P. I merely stated that if I could give reasonable doubt that this does not prove there are only 6 Protectors then it is not the proof I seek. Convince me. There has to be something somewhere unless like I said it is just a flip of a coin. Both sides could be right, while both are wrong depending on what side of the coin lands on.

Also my proof regarding the solid design of the villagers in regards to build or color has not been addressed. Just the Idea that there are only 6 Protectors. Yet also no true definition of what a Protector is. Only that it is not a villager. "I am wrong and that's that". The villagers have a protector build... so why are they not protectors again? "Because you say so" is not a good argument for your side any more than on mine should I say that. Someone claims that only the Protectors have multi-colored masks, ok, so explain to me why in the animations several villagers are not wearing solid red masks? Huh? Nothing... ???

So either the Protectors are more in number, if only by a slight amount. or the term Protector can extend to the villagers themselves.

Now one could simply say that some of the villagers don't wear solid masks but there has been another discussion regarding the gen2 Masks powers and levels. Believing maybe that the Solid Masks have no power, or a very limited to non-existent power. Leading more to the single scene where the horde of Fire villagers all looked the same and had solid masks. because the Protector in the scene, the one who presume follows Tahu on his journey, shows control over the element of Fire. His mask is not solid so perhaps it is the multi-colored masks that have the power. Also the debate for what it's worth if the Toa's original masks had any powers or not.

The confirmation that there are only six Protectors is here, on page 11. But admittedly, this is contradicted by the summary of the Region of Earth on page 4. One page or the other is incorrect.

See this is helpful. Though a better quality image would be choice so I can read it. I tried to enlarge it on my screen and didn't work. I believe I remember reading this though. While already believing the possibility of there being more than one of each Protector, the little tidbit of the Earth region may lead crudeness to my idea. Though you raise a point that I think I did myself. There has to be an error somewhere. As there are conflicting statements even in the animations. Though if the page on 11 is specifically talking about the sets or more specifically each type of protector (I don't know because I cannot currently read the page) and not specifically how many are in story. That could lean more to my theory. That and either page is not actually incorrect.

We DO have confirmation from NYCC that the Protector sets specifically represent the village chieftains. And as I mentioned before, back in 2001 each Turaga was referred to specifically as "protector of [their Toa's] legend." As with the Turaga, descriptions of the Protectors' personalities consistently put strong emphasis on their wisdom. I don't really see any point in questioning how or why "Protector" can refer to village cultural and spiritual leaders — there's no reason why it couldn't or shouldn't, and it in fact has been used in that sense in the past.

See I am not debating the first part of this statement. They have only released a single set for each Protector, and also they are intended to represent the Protectors that follow the Toa and help them on their journey. That much has been stated. Usually when someone talks about the Protector of  Element  they are talking about the sets and who they represent in story. However while it is believed that maybe there is only one chief per village (Turaga seems to be this) That may not be as accurate as some may believe. Also in the form of spiritual elders there is a group of them, not always just one. Se we has fans have been referring to Protectors as the Turaga(only one) for each of their villages because we only have one set of each right now.

I wouldn't take for granted that all normal villagers have the same build, though. Currently in the animations they generally do, but anything can change. Remember, before 2002, we hadn't seen any Onu-Matoran with orange masks, but after Nuparu showed up in 2002, the Mata Nui Online Game II in 2003 had several of them. Background characters' appearances are beholden to the needs of the sets and story. Currently, none of the regular villagers stand out (besides, of course, the wide-eyed fire villager people have nicknamed "Two-Kua") because none of them need to stand out (law of conservation of detail). But if, say, the LEGO Group decides to release some regular villagers as sets next year, it's unlikely in this day and age that they'd release six complete clones who vary only by color.

See this is what I am saying almost exactly. The reason the few Villagers we seen all appear identical is as you put it, "because none of them need to stand out (law of conservation of detail)" A Trope used everywhere when you have a mass of objects in the background. You make them as basic as possible to show they are there and in numbers, however anything more than that is a waste of time and resources. This is why in one of the animation's villagers have multi-colored masks where as in the Arrival animation The Villagers are not the focus. Tahu and the Protector of Fire are. So they get the most detail.

Your last part is up in the air I think. They have before released exact clone sets who differ simply on color. This seems would be even more so now that we seem to have a lack of Mask design for the locals. Where in Gen1 they could add a new mask and color to the mix, Gen2 has so far limited us for the moment in that regard. Have to see how the story develops.

@farmstink buttlass

Love your Pohatu. I don't own one yet, he may be the last Toa I get.

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I got great new, I have gotten 5 of those Hero Packs, 4 of them from the Lego store and 1 online (I only going to have one of them open).

Wow how did you manage that? Were they selling them singly or something? I'm still waiting for my second one to come in. If it doesn't arrive today, then maybe Monday.

EDIT: I'd like to revise my current statement. After Posting this my Hero Pack with the last of my Protector sets literally just arrived. The Mail-woman honked her horn almost literally right after I hit the Post button.

• Upvote 1

Onua.png

On the one hand I really wish there was a LEGO store nearby so I could stock up on Hero Packs, but on the other hand the trans-orange Mask of Fire feels so special when I only have one. I just wish I picked up the clear Mask of Fire when they were <$50...I made a few mask racks for all of the collectible G2 masks (gold masks/trans Toa masks/MoCr/etc.) and I reckon that clear Mask of Fire slot will be empty for quite a while.

I wonder if there will be any similar collectible masks in the summer, like a special Skull Grinder mask. Doubtful, since there's not supposed to be another polybag, but that'd be nice.

IetTsFQ.png

Indeed. A reason to release new masks is a plus to the collectors out there. While I understand why they released a clear Mask of Fire, and now this Trans Orange version as special releases. I don't see why they could not do the same thing for the other Masks. Who's with me for them to release trans versions of the other Toa Masks? Trans green Mask of Jungle, Trans white Mask of Ice, etc... anyone?

Onua.png

I got great new, I have gotten 5 of those Hero Packs, 4 of them from the Lego store and 1 online (I only going to have one of them open).

Wow how did you manage that? Were they selling them singly or something? I'm still waiting for my second one to come in. If it doesn't arrive today, then maybe Monday.

EDIT: I'd like to revise my current statement. After Posting this my Hero Pack with the last of my Protector sets literally just arrived. The Mail-woman honked her horn almost literally right after I hit the Post button.

It's easy, just have (put what number of people here) to get (this number of Hero Pack) but you and the others must buy a set separately. It's easy.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Well, we are getting half-trans masks with the Skull villians.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I'd love it if they released solid colors of the protector masks, that way we could all build accurate, lore friendly villagers, and maybe even make our own characters within the world of Bionicle. I'd be all for a silver protector mask. 

Well, we are getting half-trans masks with the Skull villians.

I wish we got it for all toa, including Tahu and Gali but as they are they still look really cool, and I'd rather get the mask of creation and Ekimu than just two little masks..

My NYCC Tahu Mask just came in, dropped 40 bucks on it and now I've spent some 213 dollars on my G2 collection (I got Gali and Onua on clearance) and dang do I feel good about this, owning every set. I got 2 Hero Packs just by asking nicely at the Lego Store, so one of them is open and the other one is just sitting around. I want another one but I doubt I'll get it unless from a friend. So far I've only built Tahu, Kopaka, Pohatu, PoF, PoE, and LoSS since I want to stagger my builds till maybe June or July and I'll be able to patiently wait for the summer sets, but I know I'll be getting all those and the books.

I just feel so giddy knowing I finally have a complete collection of something!

Edited by steelviper77

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

Just posted a Video of my score over on my topic. If you have a link to my Youtube account you may check it out there as well. I actually open the Hero pack this time, so.. yeah...

Onua.png

SO when I went to go to Federal Way to purchase some home decor (ooh so fancy) I decided to stop by the Target. 

GOOD NEWS: Most everyone was there. Didn't see anything of the DREADED ONUA CLEARANCE.

BAD NEWS: No cool Bionicle runner. Just a Easter/Minecraft one and... something called PAW Patrol? :(

I went and got gali $10.48 and onua $14.98

Here came the bride all dressed in white I wish it was red then you all be deadlandscape_xlarge.jpg

If I can ever get over to my not so local Target(Over 30 miles away) Maybe that's where I'll snag Kopaka and Pohatu.

Onua.png

My take on the 'Number of Protectors' debate:

There is usually only one Protector from each tribe the majority of the time, as besides some of the more dangerous wildlife that'll leave you well alone if you leave them alone, there isn't really that much to protect the villagers from.

However, during times of strife, there are multiple Protectors from each tribe (say, about six), with the Protector who happened to already be protecting (the senior protector) becoming the leader of these protectors from the tribe.  So six groups of six protectors, one group from each tribe, led by the senior Protector. Jobs involve patrolling the outskirts of villages, investigating missing protectors, fighting against Skull Spiders, and searching for food and supplies for the villagers. Protectors lead their villages, the senior protectors lead the whole island. Becoming a protector, when not born into the role, is very prestigious. 

That's how I choose to see the protectors right now, with the info we have.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

Edit: Nevermind. Aanchir posted about it and discovered it. 

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

My take on the 'Number of Protectors' debate:

There is usually only one Protector from each tribe the majority of the time, as besides some of the more dangerous wildlife that'll leave you well alone if you leave them alone, there isn't really that much to protect the villagers from.

However, during times of strife, there are multiple Protectors from each tribe (say, about six), with the Protector who happened to already be protecting (the senior protector) becoming the leader of these protectors from the tribe.  So six groups of six protectors, one group from each tribe, led by the senior Protector. Jobs involve patrolling the outskirts of villages, investigating missing protectors, fighting against Skull Spiders, and searching for food and supplies for the villagers. Protectors lead their villages, the senior protectors lead the whole island. Becoming a protector, when not born into the role, is very prestigious. 

That's how I choose to see the protectors right now, with the info we have.

That's impossible though, as the Protectors serve a larger role than what you're saying. They guard the Temple of Time, they're practically the six sages of Hyrule Okoto. What determines whether you're a protector or not is whether you have the elemental mask specifically made by Ekimu for the protectors, and there is only ONE of those masks in each tribe. 

• Upvote 2

Considering it's the first year of G2, no, it's not impossible. Things are NOT set in stone as rigidly as they were in G1. They are subject to retcons and change. 

Also, it seems silly to limit the Protectors to just the people with elemental protector masks. I recall it being done on a father-to-son basis, not on an 'Hey look I have an elemental mask and no training' basis. Says so on the G2 site, I believe.  Also, I'm not sure how guarding a place is bigger than providing and supporting an entire village, but okay.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

Considering it's the first year of G2, no, it's not impossible. Things are NOT set in stone as rigidly as they were in G1. They are subject to retcons and change.

Also, it seems silly to limit the Protectors to just the people with elemental protector masks. I recall it being done on a father-to-son basis, not on an 'Hey look I have an elemental mask and no training' basis. Says so on the G2 site, I believe. Also, I'm not sure how guarding a place is bigger than providing and supporting an entire village, but okay.

The story itself revolves around sage-like characters in charge of the temple of time, there ARE only six if them. Saying that there could be more is just like saying there could be more than one Tahu, etc. I seriously don't understand why people are so up in arms about this. Is there something wrong with a village having only one leader (like most traditional villages)? Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 3

Who said they guard or are in charge of the Temple of time? That sounds a bit more like somebodies headcannon because they went there to send their prayers to the sky for the Toa to come. Also that the Gen2 Protector Masks are limited to a single powered mask and multitudes of powerless versions? I know the masks get passed down from father to son in some respect as the Masks of Power are stated in story to do that. It however does not say "only" the Protector's Masks of Power. Why would it not make that distinction unless there isn't one to actually make? Meaning there is no real difference between the Masks of the villagers and their leaders. 

Then again with no information as to what Son means or what becomes of The "Father" who passed down his mask. Is he dead or just too weak to use the power? There is not enough information within the story to make anything more then just speculation or theory. We don't see Villagers running around without Masks on, though to be fair we have not seen much of the villagers at all.  We can suspect that like Gen1 Inhabitants requite masks to function, though with a seemingly more organic feel I hear this gen is suppose to have, not sure how that works. So powered or not, a "Father" cannot just pass down his mask unless it was inherited after their death.

Keeping in mind I hold the ideology that there are more than one Protector at a time by default due to referring to the villagers as a whole as the Protectors. If we managed to convince me that the Protector is referring only to the head honcho of any particular village then there would still need to be more than one due to the passing of "Father" to "Son" unless we are talking phoenix style reproduction here. If there (has to)(can) be two, why could there not be more than two? Then you dive further into the argument that "Protectors have different builds than a generic villager". Meaning that perhaps it is the build not the mask or weapon that defines who is or isn't a Protector?

I mean think about it. It seems logical or perhaps way to coincidental that the two sets of Protectors we know about in story look exactly the same as the Sets we got released. If we are to believe that generations of Protectors have gone by since the day of Ekimu's rest and when the Toa arrived. Why do they seem to match? Ether the Protectors depicted there are "REALLY" old. or some form of build bias takes in effect. That is if you follow the idea that the Protectors are built differently than generic villagers. Or weapons not withstanding, the tribes elements define to an extent their build parameters.

So yeah, this is all over the place...

Synopsis:

01 ) Who says the Protectors Guard or are in charge of the Temple of Time?

02 ) Who says there is only one of each element's Protector style mask that has power?

03 ) What is this "Father" "Son" deal and how does it work in story?

04 ) All Masks of Power are said to be passed from Father to Son not just "Protector" masks.

05 ) Do the inhabitants of Okoto require Masks of Power to function properly like in Gen1?

06 ) I believe either the villagers as a whole are all Protectors or there has to be more than 1 of each due to the whole "Father to son", deal.

07 ) If there has to be at least 2 of each Elemental Protector why not more?

08 ) What truly defines a Protector over a normal villager if anything at all? Build perhaps?

09 ) Why if there have been several generations since Ekimu's slumber and the arrival of the Toa do the Protectors that are shown back them have the same builds(weapons) as the ones shown following the Toa on their quests? Are they the same ones or is there a build bias?

10 ) Maybe the builds themselves are defined by element the villager comes from? If that is true, why was there a smaller Villager among the larger generic build ones?

I think that is everything...

Onua.png

*Sigh* I no longer want to argue this issue. Many people have given creditable reasons for why there are only 6 protectors and the rest are normal villagers with a generic build, but never mind. I'll just wait for the story to flesh itself out in a few years and the fundamental of my claim still stands. Right now most counter arguments against me have been due to personal bias and where people WANT the world building to go. I'm getting a lot of: "Well this could be" or "This might be" or even "Just because of this, it doesn't have to be this". I'm standing my ground and saying that there ARE only six protectors currently and that they ARE the Turaga/Chiefs/Village Elders/Leaders. The Protector of Fire's voice even sounds old, and when he approaches Tahu, he's wearing robes and he's hunched. It's like King Bumi, when he reveals how muscular he is underneath that robe which made him look old and feeble.  It's pretty clear that the Protectors ARE meant to perform the same basic function the Turaga had performed. This may be a reboot, but they have kept the basic principles from the original storyline the same. Island, Mask Quest, Elder Figures in charge of Villages, Six Toa, Darkness is spreading over the land. Either I have a high attention to detail, or some people just aren't good at observing. 

Look, this isn't to say that all the villagers will always look the same, and that we won't have important, individualized village characters later on. This is just saying that the Protectors are THEIR OWN characters, and not what the entire race looks like. That's like getting Turaga Vakama back in '01, and assuming that all villagers will use his build. You see, the whole point behind the Protectors having different builds from the rest of the villagers is to DIFFERENTIATE their characters, as Lego doesn't want to start naming everything yet as they seem to think that's a major complexity problem, which it could be if those characters aren't used that much in the coming years. Hopefully when the book comes out they get named and stops us all from squabbling like Gukko birds over a berry. 

• Upvote 1

Considering it's the first year of G2, no, it's not impossible. Things are NOT set in stone as rigidly as they were in G1. They are subject to retcons and change. 

Also, it seems silly to limit the Protectors to just the people with elemental protector masks. I recall it being done on a father-to-son basis, not on an 'Hey look I have an elemental mask and no training' basis. Says so on the G2 site, I believe.  Also, I'm not sure how guarding a place is bigger than providing and supporting an entire village, but okay.

It is done on a father-to-son basis. Specifically, the Protectors train their children to succeed them... and when the time comes, the children inherit their parent's mask, weaponry, and position. There's really not room there for more than one Protector at a time, nor is there any reason to assume otherwise.

Back in 2001, when we were told that Jaller was THE Captain of the Ta-Koro Guard, nobody questioned that and insisted that he was just one of several Captains. The same goes for Kongu and Onepu and their leadership positions. So it continues to surprise and baffle me wben I see fans of the rebooted theme can't take unambiguous information at face value. It's the equivalent of being told "the earth is round" and coming to the conclusion that they must have meant that it's cylindrical.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I JUST NOTICED THAT IN THE PROPHECY OF HEROES VIDEO, YOU CAN SEE TWO MOONS/PLANETS AS THE TOA ARE RAINING DOWN.

Okay, okay, I'm calming down. It's interesting though... the level of detail and thinking that's going into this might be more than we think... especially since... yeah...

Well to be fair I think the cloak(robe) was intended to be a big reveal that he was not as febal as one may believe. Much like you said; like Bumi. Though the hunch is not his age but his shoulder cannon. We all can agree on that seeing as how well he stands once the robe is removed. There is no physical hump or hunch. Now we know that the sets released are intended to be these Protectors, more specifically the Fire one as that is the only one we see meeting his Toa. This does not rule out the idea that there are more Protectors out there. Because of this fact, it is not yet set in stone that there are/ can only be one of each element.

You are entitled to your choice of belief and I can respect that while you have not proven to me there is only one of each, nor have I been able to prove to you there can be more than one. That is fine.

I think it is a bit more than just a rank or title Lyichir, but I do like the way you are thinking. This would mean that anyone could be a protector, as opposed to the ideal that they are a completely different build such as Turaga to Matoran. Seeing as how there isn't any actual proof that the villagers only wear powerless masks, whatever that means in regards to control over the element as such. So training takes place for when daddy dearest decides to retire. Unless we are talking monarchy and daddy first has to go boom before baby Protector takes over. Then it isn't really an "Elder" station more like a "Ruler" one. Since Daddy could bite the big one way before junior is old enough to take his place.

I JUST NOTICED THAT IN THE PROPHECY OF HEROES VIDEO, YOU CAN SEE TWO MOONS/PLANETS AS THE TOA ARE RAINING DOWN.
Okay, okay, I'm calming down. It's interesting though... the level of detail and thinking that's going into this might be more than we think... especially since... yeah...

Wait are we talking like the Comets the Toa are coming from, or more like celestial bodies in orbit around Okoto's planet? Because we see 6 planetoids in the Prophesy animation it shows 6 humanoids coming from them.

Onua.png

It's so weird to me that "there is only one village leader" as corroborated by several canon sources is such a hotly contested claim.

Truthfully, it almost seems like people just want the "more than one protector in a village" claim to be canon so they can build a village just by buying protectors instead of MOCing some up. Maybe they want official sets of the villagers? I'm not sure. 

Of course they could be pseudo-hipsters, trying to take a different take on everything (despite none of their claims having been shown in the animations or on the story board) just for the sake of doing so.

Also, I've done a lot of thinking back on the whole "MoUP" debate, and you're right. It almost seems like they just made a random shape so that they could have a place holder until a later time when the mask itself becomes relevant. The Kanohi Ignika went through SEVERAL design changes (and this was during its own story arc), and the first design we had a glimpse of looked nothing like the final product. 

• Upvote 4

It even says that the Protectors themselves were the ones that 'carved out' the boarders of the different regions with their own elemental powers. Meaning there can only be 6 of 'em.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I recently went to a local Target, and I didn't see Gali or Onua (or any of the Toa) on sale. But I kind of wish they were, even though I already have Onua and my sister has Gali. :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

It even says that the Protectors themselves were the ones that 'carved out' the boarders of the different regions with their own elemental powers. Meaning there can only be 6 of 'em.

Yeah not sure how the Protectors carving out their respective regions translates to "Only 6 Protectors" Though while I hate to admit it. Seems the Bionicle.com site is against me. They have done some edits to the pages there and... anyway. Darn website is killing my argument... :( cannot find a viable loophole to bring reasonable doubt to the concept of more than one Protector...

Oh I got one... the site has some grammar errors like they have in the past... Yeah that's it... :P

Onua.png