OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Has anyone else experienced an issue with the friction pin on the gear becoming significantly less frictive? I did a lot of wild arm-swinging with my Tahu and as a result, he can't really hold his swords up anymore.

I suppose this could be solved by switching it out for another pin, but I don't think most of mine are up to the task, and it's really a shame it lost friction so quickly, considering most kids will likely be doing even more wild arm-swinging than I did.

I had an issue with this on my Kopaka. It didn't affect it when I was writing my review but later started to impact it. I swapped it with an unused spare and that seemed to fix things. Fortunately, I have plenty of unused spares (most sets that include a friction pin of that sort also include at least one spare).

I haven't had any such issues with Lewa and Gali, perhaps because both of those sets have two friction pins geared to the gearbox instead of just one. So you could try modding Tahu to use two friction pins as well. Wouldn't work for Kopaka, though, on account of his gearbox being raised one module.

Edited by Aanchir

......Gali doesn't have this issue, does she? I know her weapon is big.

I had an issue with this on my Kopaka. It didn't affect it when I was writing my review but later started to impact it. I swapped it with an unused spare and that seemed to fix things. Fortunately, I have plenty of unused spares (most sets that include a friction pin of that sort also include at least one spare).

I haven't had any such issues with Lewa and Gali, perhaps because both of those sets have two friction pins geared to the gearbox instead of just one. So you could try modding Tahu to use two friction pins as well. Wouldn't work for Kopaka, though, on account of his gearbox being raised one module.

Doesn't look like it :P

I haven't had any troubles with the friction pins, probably because I don't treat the toys like toys. :P

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Try Walmart.com. They seem to have all the sets from time to time.

That's how I got the rest of my Toa.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

No they don't. You have to have Prime or whatever the ###### they want you to buy.

How's LEGO with shipping?

On many Amazon products, you can get free shipping for orders over $35.  It's not just Prime.  I wouldn't recommend Amazon at the moment, though, unless you can somehow find a listing that isn't twice the actual price.

You could probably just check the S@H shipping yourself by adding all the sets you want to your bag and then using the "checkout" option.  It gives you the shipping estimate on the first page, before any payment stuff.

e: It says the free shipping only applies within the "contiguous United States and Canada", so I don't think it applies to Alaska.

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

No they don't. You have to have Prime or whatever the ###### they want you to buy.

How's LEGO with shipping?

On many Amazon products, you can get free shipping for orders over $35.  It's not just Prime.  I wouldn't recommend Amazon at the moment, though, unless you can somehow find a listing that isn't twice the actual price.

You could probably just check the S@H shipping yourself by adding all the sets you want to your bag and then using the "checkout" option.  It gives you the shipping estimate on the first page, before any payment stuff.

e: It says the free shipping only applies within the "contiguous United States and Canada", so I don't think it applies to Alaska.

That sucks.

######!!!! HOW THE ###### AM I GOING TO GET THESE ###### SETS!!??

You're busting my guts. XD

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

If I could hurt myself without dying I would!

I bet you're screaming in real life right now.  :lol-sign:  :lol-sign:  :onfire:

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Hey, it sure beats "CCBS" as a term. It even gained a following on Eurobricks, before some one came and ranted about it.

And p.s. You can't tell me what I can or cannot call a system. I call a pile of lego "legos"

That was me. The use of the term "skeleball" sets your posts immediately up as a purposeful and negative attack on things people like. You don't like CCBS? I think that sounds pretty ignorant, personally, as it seems pretty clear your remarks are made from a stand-point of "I haven't tried it at all, but it isn't the old just as simple pin and pin-hole system so I'm angry". Coupled with your unrealistic remarks about how terrible all the other popular things in modern media franchises are (your comments on TF:Animated, The LEGO Movie, etc, both here and on Eurobricks), you don't come across as a reasonable or even interested discussion partner, and people are frustrated with you because your entire existence here seems to be predicated on posting "CCBS sucks here's my dumb name for it I made up to mock it".

Ok, I will let you enjoy your skeleball, just stop treating me like I'm some sort of troll, ok?

Stop acting like one, and people will stop treating you like one.

• Upvote 9

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Hey, it sure beats "CCBS" as a term. It even gained a following on Eurobricks, before some one came and ranted about it.

And p.s. You can't tell me what I can or cannot call a system. I call a pile of lego "legos"

That was me. The use of the term "skeleball" sets your posts immediately up as a purposeful and negative attack on things people like. You don't like CCBS? I think that sounds pretty ignorant, personally, as it seems pretty clear your remarks are made from a stand-point of "I haven't tried it at all, but it isn't the old just as simple pin and pin-hole system so I'm angry". Coupled with your unrealistic remarks about how terrible all the other popular things in modern media franchises are (your comments on TF:Animated, The LEGO Movie, etc, both here and on Eurobricks), you don't come across as a reasonable or even interested discussion partner, and people are frustrated with you because your entire existence here seems to be predicated on posting "CCBS sucks here's my dumb name for it I made up to mock it".

Ok, I will let you enjoy your skeleball, just stop treating me like I'm some sort of troll, ok?

Stop acting like one, and people will stop treating you like one.

Eh...No offense, and I'm not trying to tell you what to do or anything, but I don't think it's such a good idea beating that dead horse anymore. We moved on from that a while ago, and bringing it back up sorta makes things worse.

Edited by Chasm
  • Upvote 3

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Salvus need to learn somehow that being an will get you treated like one.

I can't stand furries and hate them with a fiery burning passion worth three dying stars, but you don't see me going on furry forums and saying how much I do. It doesn't accomplish anything and it makes me look like a moron.

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Salvus need to learn somehow that being an ###### will get you treated like one.

I can't stand furries and hate them with a fiery burning passion worth three dying stars, but you don't see me going on furry forums and saying how much I do. It doesn't accomplish anything and it makes me look like a moron.

As Chasm said, we are considering the matter closed. If Toa Salvus starts being gratuitously negative again, then it's open. But by dragging the matter out, we are not giving him much of an incentive to be civil.

• Upvote 1

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Fine. Topic's closed. But if he starts up again I swear I'm gonna lose it.

Back on topic: Is Gali really online only? I can't find her anywhere in Alaska and it sucks because she's my absolute favorite set this year.

She's quite possibly the rarest of the sets, at the moment. Both she and Onua seem to have been excluded from the initial wave of Target shipments. I was able to find Onua at TRU, and others have reported finding Gali there.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Fine. Topic's closed. But if he starts up again I swear I'm gonna lose it.

Back on topic: Is Gali really online only? I can't find her anywhere in Alaska and it sucks because she's my absolute favorite set this year.

She's quite possibly the rarest of the sets, at the moment. Both she and Onua seem to have been excluded from the initial wave of Target shipments. I was able to find Onua at TRU, and others have reported finding Gali there.

Yeah, the Target I buy my sets at is completely bereft of Onua and Gali.

I got gali, kopaka, protector of water and ice. The protectors were kinda dissapointingly small, simple and kinda too bulky for their size, then again they are kinda like matoran sets so I don't think I should complain much.

So far I've only built gali and I really liked her build, especially her gears. Although gali has one of the more consistent color schemes out of the toa, I would've prefer if they cut down on the red, yellow and silver, just bugs my eyes a bit.

In fact I think I would've prefer if all the toa had consistent color schemes like the older sets instead of all that gold, silver, yellow and red.

So...I'm loving the build, but not exactly the color schemes.

In fact I think I would've prefer if all the toa had consistent color schemes like the older sets instead of all that ###### gold, silver, yellow and red.

So...I'm loving the build, but not exactly the color schemes.

Old Bionicle sets were riddled with red pins and silver parts, really the only new thing there is the small yellow bits - which are used sparingly, not enough to break up the color scheme. I can understand if you don't want gold, although it is a metallic color and whether or not it complements the color schemes is a matter of opinion...personally I think it looks fine, though I'd prefer for Kopaka to have less gold. I like the gold on Onua because it makes his gold mask look great, and on Tahu I think it really fits his color scheme.

By the way, Gali has the most yellow parts, on all of the other Toa they are barely noticeable.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

I like the silver and gold bits because on these guys, it looks like the more traditional colors are their "skin" with the other parts being extra armor worn over it. The way these colors are distributed is used to tell a story about each character, their fighting style, even their lifestyle.

Lewa wears very little armor, most of it being near his feet. This implies that he jumps around a lot, and puts a lot of wear and tear on that part specific part of his body, while the rest of him is lightly armored so as to not slow him down. The silver hands also work because they look like gloves (think of the stress he must put on his hands by vine-swinging an' whatnot).

Pohatu wears the most armor, but it's kinda sporadic and uneven, which I think kinda fits cause it gives him the look of a wastelander, like from Jak 3. Plus, his left arm looking more covered by more silver plating implies that he's right handed, and doesn't want that arm to be weighed down when throwing something. This, of course, fits with his right arm being the only one that swings when you turn the gears. It makes him reminiscent of warriors who wear armor on one side, yet leave their sword-swinging arm almost completely uncovered so they can swing faster.

Tahu has a very swashbuckly look. Everything on him is loose, it all hangs down. His duds are spread out, he's all over the place. Kopaka is the complete opposite. Everything is strongly centered and focused. It all goes UP. This makes him look more uptight. And while I didn't like the silver brain attack torso at first, I think it works now with his gold armor because it makes him look really guarded, which fits his personality.

And, as I said with Lewa, I like the silver hands and feet on most of these guys because it looks like they're wearing gloves and boots.

You see, guys? This is nothing like the Mistika being almost completely silver with just a few smatterings on their supposed primary colors thrown in. There's a rhyme and reason to how these characters are... decorated. It tells a story. Lego really thought this out.

Edited by NickonAquaMagna
  • Upvote 6

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

snip!

Those are lovely interpretations of their designs, and definitely gives me a better appreciation of them. I love your description of Pohatu, it makes him seem a lot less messy. I guess Onua has the simplest/most easily noticeable design philosophy.

IetTsFQ.png

snip!

Those are lovely interpretations of their designs, and definitely gives me a better appreciation of them. I love your description of Pohatu, it makes him seem a lot less messy. I guess Onua has the simplest/most easily noticeable design philosophy.

Thanks, and yeah... Onua seems the most lightly armored in terms of how HUGE his body is and how much space it has. I guess it's because he's the most naturally rugged and can take more punishment then most of the others, so he doesn't need much armor anyway, and most of it is on his shoulders... in case rocks fall on him, I guess. The gold armor seems purely decorative, to be honest.

And as for Gali... she's a hard nut to crack. I can make sense of her wearing big boots, and her thighs, being blue, being the supposed "bare" spots (kinda makes her Torso armor look like a one-piece swimsuit, now that I think about it), but as for her tall shoulder armor.... yeah, I don't think they're really her shoulders. I don't think those are actually part of her body. I think they're more like the big, round shoulders on Samus' power suit than anything else. I think those are just colored blue to complete her color scheme, and they work beautifully that way..

Still, for the most part, it's really neat to see how the armor on these figures compliments their anatomy.

• Upvote 4

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Pohatu wears the most armor, but it's kinda sporadic and uneven, which I think kinda fits cause it gives him the look of a wastelander, like from Jak 3. Plus, his left arm looking more covered by more silver plating implies that he's right handed, and doesn't want that arm to be weighed down when throwing something. This, of course, fits with his right arm being the only one that swings when you turn the gears. It makes him reminiscent of warriors who wear armor on one side, yet leave their sword-swinging arm almost completely uncovered so they can swing faster.

Pohatu's left arm reminds me of a certain character I know of. What was his name again? Um... Oh right!

...Piras...

Maybe his left arm requires the silver armor because it has been weakened to some degree, just like Piras' right arm. Sorry, but I'm trying really hard not to sound like a kiss-up.

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

snip!

Thanks, and yeah... Onua seems the most lightly armored in terms of how HUGE his body is and how much space it has. I guess it's because he's the most naturally rugged and can take more punishment then most of the others, so he doesn't need much armor anyway, and most of it is on his shoulders... in case rocks fall on him, I guess. The gold armor seems purely decorative, to be honest.

And as for Gali... she's a hard nut to crack. I can make sense of her wearing big boots, and her thighs, being blue, being the supposed "bare" spots (kinda makes her Torso armor look like a one-piece swimsuit, now that I think about it), but as for her tall shoulder armor.... yeah, I don't think they're really her shoulders. I don't think those are actually part of her body. I think they're more like the big, round shoulders on Samus' power suit than anything else. I think those are just colored blue to complete her color scheme, and they work beautifully that way..

Still, for the most part, it's really neat to see how the armor on these figures compliments their anatomy.

Swimsuit, eh? Heeh-heeh...

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

WHOA. We need to pay attention to the Hero Factory sets, because I have a feeling they're going to be selling for some pretty awesome prices. Ogrum, before completely selling out, was on sale for $2.98!!! That's a 1/3 of the original price! So I advise that you all pay close attention to the HF sets in your local stores and in the online Lego shop. It's a great way to boost your collection with the neat parts introduced in that year.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

If you don't want to look like the "bad guy", maybe stop using double standards as an excuse. If you don't like exposed ball joints, then fine. But don't act like Old BIONICLE is above reproach for something you say you hate New BIONICLE for.

That is different than the problem with the exposed ball joints on the 2015 toa though. With your example, the ball joints are specifically used to give the impression of feet. On the 2015 toa, the exposed ball joints serve no asthetic purpose and are there because the old ccbs torso could not do the arm turning function and thus did not have the arms attached to them, but was still required for the legs and the head to be attached. So in this case the ball joints are exposed when they are not really meant to be and thus (at least to me) look sort of tacky and out of place, but in your example the ball joints serve a clear aesthetic purpose and it is obvious why the designers intentionally have them exposed..

• Upvote 1

In fact I think I would've prefer if all the toa had consistent color schemes like the older sets instead of all that ###### gold, silver, yellow and red.

Unfortunately, consistent color schemes were a rarity in old Bionicle's later days. 

You see, guys? This is nothing like the Mistika being almost completely silver with just a few smatterings on their supposed primary colors thrown in. There's a rhyme and reason to how these characters are... decorated. It tells a story. Lego really thought this out.

One of the worst things about the Mistika is their color layering. They have silver parts layered on more silver parts, which makes all the details just meld together.

Edited by Latrodectus
  • Upvote 1

Also, if someone could double check for me to see if the LEGO online shipping is free for Alaska that'd be real awesome.

A lot of the things you're asking other people to check you could just as easily check yourself.

If you add all the sets you want to your bag and the checkout thing says the shipping is free, then it's free.  If not, it's not.  But "contiguous United States" means the 48 connected states (+DC) so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

OpAXNpl.jpg