OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I have like three huge Target supercenters in my area and none of them have her. I'm so annoyed. I think I'm gonna have to order her online.

Also, if someone could double check for me to see if the LEGO online shipping is free for Alaska that'd be real awesome.

Luckily, I recently double checked this same thing for someone else.

The answer is that yes, the free standard shipping for orders over $75 on the Lego Shop website DOES apply to Alaska. There's a note that the shipping might take longer, but you won't have to pay anything extra.

Source: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Shipping-Returns

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

From the Lego Shop's Bionicle landing page:

http://cache.lego.com/images/shop/shop11/LandingPages/2014/bionicle-live/bionicle-2015-live-lp.jpg

Apparently the Toa can all fly/levitate. XP

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

http://cache.lego.com/images/shop/shop11/LandingPages/2014/bionicle-live/bionicle-2015-live-lp.jpg

If this wasn't the Gen 2 Toa, I would say that Lewa was using his Kanohi Nuva mask to give himself and the others the ability to levitate. :P

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Or, y'know... jump.

Kopaka is running on thin air.

In the part of the image you're not supposed to see.

This is ridiculously common in web design. Just as an example, look at the old Equestria Girls webpage from Hasbro's website. Looks ordinary enough. Why don't we take a look at the background image? Suddenly what had seemed like a clever design with the characters peeking around the menu becomes a surreal group of floating, leaning pony people.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Eh...I might as well right a review of all of the sets as well, in my weekly Blog.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I got four sets today, and Pohatu's mask...that thing is just unreasonably loose. Like, I'm going to order replacements from Customer Service, it wobbles in every direction when it's on his head and barely stays on at all. The others are all okay, some looser than others but nothing too extreme.

On another more positive (and much more meaningful) note, I'm totally overwhelmed with excitement and satisfaction. Gali is downright beautiful, Onua is everything I had hoped for and more, and Pohatu exceeded my expectations a bit. I don't like his legs very much, or his lack of shoulders, but the chest design in my favorite so far, and the boomerangs are wonderful. I also got the Protector of Earth (I was super excited for him!) and he is even better than I had hope. Spent the car ride home just ogling all the beautiful parts in his baggy.

IetTsFQ.png

I got four sets today, and Pohatu's mask...that thing is just unreasonably loose. Like, I'm going to order replacements from Customer Service, it wobbles in every direction when it's on his head and barely stays on at all. The others are all okay, some looser than others but nothing too extreme.

I don't think it's an issue with the mask you got, I think it's an issue with the mask mold itself.  If you look on the inside of the tighter masks, you can see that they're shaped to fit against the face's contours, while Pohatu's mask (and possibly Lewa's) are more open on the inside.  I only have Gali, Pohatu, and Tahu, but there's a visible difference; Gali's mask and the Skull Spiders have prominent ridges that fit against the brow or "lip" of the head, and the lower jaw area hugs the face tightly.

Funnily enough, in a straight-pull-off test, Pohatu's mask feels like it grips the head tighter than either Tahu's or Gali's masks, so it seems the wobbling itself applies some leverage to pry it off.  (The Skull Spiders have the strongest connection.)

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

I don't think it's an issue with the mask you got, I think it's an issue with the mask mold itself.  If you look on the inside of the tighter masks, you can see that they're shaped to fit against the face's contours, while Pohatu's mask (and possibly Lewa's) are more open on the inside.  I only have Gali, Pohatu, and Tahu, but there's a visible difference; Gali's mask and the Skull Spiders have prominent ridges that fit against the brow or "lip" of the head, and the lower jaw area hugs the face tightly.

Funnily enough, in a straight-pull-off test, Pohatu's mask feels like it grips the head tighter than either Tahu's or Gali's masks, so it seems the wobbling itself applies some leverage to pry it off.  (The Skull Spiders have the strongest connection.)

That makes sense, but didn't LEGO say they corrected the masks' loose connections? I never saw the official statement, so maybe I misunderstood. If there's a Mask of Stone with a less wobbly connection, I'd like to get my hands on it.

With each of my sets, the gold mask and the normal mask have the same tightness - both of my Masks of Stone are equally wobbly, and both Masks of Water connect equally firmly. So you're absolutely right that it's a problem with the mold, rather than a mask-by-mask basis.

Edit: You're right about Pohatu's mask being more clingy, it's just the looseness that bothers me. Kind of funny that it sticks better than some of the other masks, but I think overall it is below LEGO's standards. Hopefully it is just the early shipments that are affected with loose masks, as some people have speculated.

Edited by Dark Blue

IetTsFQ.png

Please tell me that a joke, please please tell me it is  :begging:

Just look at it, it looks horrible and same go with Tahu (I already have a feeling that I fear of looking at the side of Pohatu when I get him) and the arms are too far back.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

I think Gali and Tahu look fine from the side.  Their shoulder armor helps with the look.  Pohatu looks odd, though.

But overall it's a sacrifice I'll take.  Maybe there'll be new CCBS torso molds in the future that aren't all-in-one so the gearbox will fit better, but even the fact that we have a gearbox is enough for me right now.

Also, I agree that Gali looks good in basically any pose.  I think she's my favorite of the Toa.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

I shoulder armor don't even help at all, it just make the set worst, Gali is just about the worst one I gotten out of the 5 character I got, the best one out of all of them is Lord of Skull Spider. Even though I hate his function and I wish he had a walking function, he was better out of all the others.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Has anyone else experienced an issue with the friction pin on the gear becoming significantly less frictive? I did a lot of wild arm-swinging with my Tahu and as a result, he can't really hold his swords up anymore.

I suppose this could be solved by switching it out for another pin, but I don't think most of mine are up to the task, and it's really a shame it lost friction so quickly, considering most kids will likely be doing even more wild arm-swinging than I did.

The Toa Tahu I made in NYCC from the pieces I managed to obtain has no such issues (I checked the official instructions on how to build him, and the gearbox I made was 100% correct to that of a retail Tahu since I also had help from the Bionicle Team). Ive played around with his gears until I recently got ahold of all the new sets. And I gota say that my Tahu friction pins and gears have not weakened and he can still hold a pose with the swords. But I dont know, maybe as time goes on, theyll weaken. But I (as of now) have had no such issue with the Tahu I got from NYCC and the rest of the 2015 Toa. 

I'll echo that Gali looks just fine from the side. Perhaps she could look even better if the ball joint on the back were integrated with the gearbox piece so the shell on her back didn't stick out so far, but I still think it looks just fine as-is. Same goes for Kopaka, who uses a larger 5M shell on his back.

The shoulders being set back from the neck and hips actually looks pretty good to me. In fact, that's one of the things I have always liked about the original Hero Factory torso beam. Granted, that was just set back one module rather than two modules, but I don't think the extra module is a deal-breaker.

ShadoWolfHount, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I definitely consider Gali my favorite of all the Toa, and I think her shoulder armor really does add to her design. It helps her look more powerful and gives her an interesting silhouette, kind of like the shoulder armor of Kjelle in Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

I shoulder armor don't even help at all, it just make the set worst, Gali is just about the worst one I gotten out of the 5 character I got, the best one out of all of them is Lord of Skull Spider. Even though I hate his function and I wish he had a walking function, he was better out of all the others.

For me the shoulder armor helps the transition blend in a bit better.  Even on Pohatu I see a difference depending on which side I look at.  His right side looks okay because it has the new shell detail piece on the shoulder, but his left shoulder is bare and appears to be a much more drastic difference.

Then again, when it comes to Pohatu, the head-jutting-forward thing reminds me of his Mata/Nuva forms, even if it wasn't intended that way, so not something I'm too concerned about.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

Is there any way to give Gali wider hips? That's the only mod I wanna make on these sets.

Edit: How about flipping the base torso beam upside down?

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I'm not really sure what to do with Gali's shoulder armor. It doesn't look bad, but it's just kind of there. It definitely helps complete her color distribution, but the shape doesn't really make sense to me - is it supposed to be protecting her head or something?

Anyways I've been posing my new sets for a while now and I agree that Gali is the most poseable. Onua is awesome, but I am having some trouble getting him into any interesting positions. Pohatu is also very fun to pose, but there's not really anything interesting there, just a lack of limiting factors since he's so simple and lightweight.

Is there any way to give Gali wider hips? That's the only mod I wanna make on these sets.

Flipping it upside-down will just make her look fat. If you stick her in the mermaid pose, it makes her hips look wider. If you still want to mod her, I would try changing her thigh armor instead of her torso.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

not unless you want a ridiculous exaggeration and a neck sticking out the bottom.

Right. A custom hip it is.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

In general, I don't think Gali's hip joints need to be any wider. The five-module width of the hips is already a slight exaggeration from real, human proportions (male or female). Seven-module-wide hips will just make her look bowlegged, kind of like the original Pohatu.

If you feel like she's not feminine enough, some beefier armor on the thighs might help that, or even a skull spider body on each hip joint (forehead facing down). Because we can do that now! And in fact, Skull Spider bodies would complement the segmented texture of that torso shell nicely, something I've been hoping to take advantage of in a MOC one of these days. But personally, I think she looks plenty feminine without comically exaggerating the width of her hips.

Edited by Aanchir