Bionicle Heroes

Makuta DUSt

No, not really. Basically, it takes the relative simplicty of Traveling Tales regular lego games and simplifies it even more, to the point of absolute ridiculousness. For example, the combat is limited to fighting a total of three different enemies over twenty four levels, none of which are even remotely threatening. The bosses are even worse, posessing absolutely pathetic attack power and poor AI. Even without the upgradeable armor and weapons, you are unlikely to die more than a few times over the course of the entire game - that is, when you aren't in the invinciblity-granting "Hero Mode" that automatically activates when you collect enough lego pieces. This last feature gets so silly that you will sometimes find yourself walking into a boss fight and spending most of it invincible.The game also falls flat when it comes to the usual best attributes of TT games. There are no interesting puzzles or secrets to be found, and the special abilities usually boil down to bashing through one of the eighty-thousand different wall types present in the game. The core game mechanic involves the Golden Constractions, which can only be activated once you enter the aformetioned Hero Mode. However, there are only a few basic types, and their functionality is as simple as drilling holes through the wall making bridges over streams that look about one foot deep, or merely flying away from their previously progress-blocking positions. Let me say that again: this is the type of game where your hero can simaltaneously be imprevious to all forms of assault and unable to step over a small pile of lego pieces. Yeah.Don't go looking for laughs in this game, either. With only the most basic conections to the official canon, the game's cutscenes resort to painful, poorly animated slapstick, which succeeds only in making the Piraka look like morons. This is especially jarring when contrasted with the game's only redeeming points: its rather detailed graphics and epic music. This is honestly the only Bionicle game that truly captures the epic scale of the theme's settings, and the game's soundtrack combines traditional and electronic instruments and latin chanting to create themes that are unmistakeably Bionicle. With a little tweaking, some of the music would have been right at home in a serious movie adaption of the Voya Nui saga... but when paired with the game's silly cutscenes and pathetic bosses, its rather disconcerting to say the least.By far, the DS version is superior in every other area. In fact, its arguably one of the best first person shooters on the DS, easily comparable with that of Metroid Prime: Hunters. And at least it doesn't insult your intelligence like the main version of Bionicle Heroes does.

Edited by ~~Zarkan~~

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Since it's pretty inexpensive, I'd recomend getting it. Although from gameplay and storyline wise aspect it isn't great, the landscapes and music make it well worth the purchase. I actually have the music on my MP3 player and am currently playing through it just to look around at all the stuff. :PI should mention that the PC one for me has only worked on a fullscreen monitor and not a widescreen one. If you have the two screens together make sure that the fullscreen monitor is the only one that is displaying.

Thanks. I hear often that you get to be Guuhrahk and Takanuva in the game, but I can't find any gameplay. Are they playable at all?
I don't believe that they are playable (at least on the PC version), and I'm guessing that those are only rumours, unfortunately.

I only had the DS version, and I was never that interested. It was an okay game, but over-the-shoulder shooting wasn't the best way to do it. Either third-person or first-person would be better, except if it was an FPS, that would automatically push the game to an M rating... Also, it wasn't canon, which I would have prefered if it were canon.I think the better approach to a LEGO shooter game is the Hero Factory Breakout game. It has simple controls, a good viewpoint, and is actually fun at all times. :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I have the PC version and I always get Out of Bounds glitches so I gave up on getting 100%... I am close though, just lacking the LEGO pieces related achievement and the super expensive cansister locator...

99.9% of BIONICLE fans forgot about Podu. If you happen to be the 0.1% that still remember him, copy and paste this into your sig.

Though I agree with everything ~~Zaktan~~ said, I still thought it was a good game. (My version is the Gamecube version, BTW.) The one thing I didn't get was why they made Axonn one of the bosses you had to fight. He was a good guy in the story, so I don't why he was bad in the game. :shrugs:

Thanks. I hear often that you get to be Guuhrahk and Takanuva in the game, but I can't find any gameplay. Are they playable at all?
I don't believe that they are playable (at least on the PC version), and I'm guessing that those are only rumours, unfortunately.
I'm pretty sure they are indeed rumors, since I haven't heard or seen anything that says they are playable in the game.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I have the PC version - only the Toa and Piraka are playable, though some trailers did show some of the Rahkshi being interactively moved (though that may have been in the development version only).

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I tried the PC version. Not the best game ever, but still decent. It is fun to watch your foes blow up and the like.The bosses do have some level of dignity, but you can beat them on your first try if you actually try. You just seem to instantly get enough experience in-game and in your head to beat each boss on your first try despite each being (Technically speaking, by the game's numbers and stats) harder than the last.

Edited by TNG Prime

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I quite like it, from a TPS point of view. The game was fun, and it had a lot of character.Just one thing though; I clocked the game completely, and can someone please tell me what happens when you lose all the masks and die?
I'm not 100% sure since it's only happened once, but I think you respawn at your last checkpoint. I think you only spawn with all the masks you had at the beginning of the level.

It's fun as heck, (one of my friends came over the day I got it, and he said that is the most fun he's had in a while) but if you want anything with depth, this isn't for you. On a side note, the xbox 360 version is a major gamerscore boost.

Edited by Toa Kaithas

No such thing as destiny.

BZPRPG Profiles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Honestly I think with a couple improvements and more content, that Hero Factory Breakout game could be released to more success than Bionicle Heroes. I'm not a huge fan, though I think it's worth a playthrough for a diehard Bionicle fan. The music and atmosphere are really cool, even though the game significantly lacks in gameplay.I really should try the DS version someday. The problem being I lack a DS...

exo-toa_battle.jpg

I have the PC version, since that's where I prefer to play my games. Ever since I first got it back when it came out in 2006, I've played it countless times whenever I had the chance, and it's still one of my favorite games. Yes, it's a rather easy game to play, so I occasionally decide to challenge myself by refusing to purchase any weapon upgrades or hardly any armor upgrades. That way, it really will feel like the later levels are more difficult than the earlier ones.One thing I think we can all agree on is that it has excellent music. (I particularly like the ones from the Piraka boss levels.)

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

I personally love Bionicle Heroes, although it really could have done with a difficulty boost. And yeah, the visuals and the music are amazing.

xoTlRfR.png

Banner by jed1ndy

"Master of Shadows and Game-running Compliants, Ǝɹsɐʇz Ԁᴉɹɐʞɐ ᴉu qlɐɔʞ' No˙ 999, Vezon of the Twighlight"

I have the Gamecube version and I like it. The gags are ok, and the gameplay is dull after the first world or so, but the MUSIC!AMAZING MUSIC! Fits every atmosphere... Ahhhhh...I have played the GBA version which is basically the same thing but top-down. Music is also amazing.The DS version... I haven't played it in a long while but then again, I was younger then...Also, anyone know where I can find the music for that?So yeah if you want good games and great music, get these games. They are worth the buy. Definitely! :)

Credit to Moist! from the Spectral Avohkii Enterprises for the super sig!

confusingbanner3.gif

^The Chronicles of Chandu: ElementElites, Ivu, Equinox. An epic written by cylex7^

"I applaud your valiant ways in the face of futility." - Makuta Kazyx, CoC

Chapter 6 of CoC ElementElites is up!!! Please review!

I've never seen the DS version, but I absolutely believe the PS2 version was the best. The music is wonderful, the gameplay, while being relatively simple and really not too hard, can be fun. The bosses were nice, especially the Rahkshi and Piraka battles, which when I first played them, intimidated me so. The Gold and Silver canisters were akin to minikits in the other games, and were fun to search for. Piraka playground, adding some humor into apparently killing the Piraka, was interesting, and the upgrades were fun to test out and achieve.However, completely non-canon. It'd have been cooloer to have a canon game that follows the storyline and all, but meh, what are you gonna do? The final boss was horribly easy, which could have been solved with adding Kardas, but no... sadly.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

• 1 month later...

Eh, I've only really played the GBA version. I hear the DS version is actually pretty legit. The PC/console versions though, are apparently super easy. Ha, reminds me of that video of this guy playing through the game. He had a hard time pronouncing the words, so Hewkii became Heekee, Jaller became Jailer etc.

2! The best thing ever!