Did You Learn Anything From Bionicle?

Toa of Nerds

This is a kind of sad/nostalgic topic. But I was thinking about the things that Bionicle taught me. Since Bionicle was the first real canon that I followed, it taught me how follow a story across multiple platforms. It also showed me many elements of group dynamics, and how to manage a group of very different people. What have you learned from Bionicle?-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

BIONICLE helped me learn what kind of human labor, thought, and creativity goes into writing a story, creating a toy line, and running a business. If it weren't for Greg Farshtey's involvement with the BIONICLE fan community it might have been years before I learned to look at the media and products I enjoy with that same design-oriented thinking process. Now, I realize how when designing for any audience, you never have complete creative freedom and constantly need to adapt to new constraints or lessons that you learn through trial and error.BIONICLE also helped me learn my strengths and weaknesses. For instance, I learned that while I might have a lot of story ideas, I'm nowhere near good enough at moving a plot forward with exciting events to be a competent fiction writer. BIONICLE also reinforced my understanding that I am skilled at designing things when given pre-existing constraints. Most of my MOCs were based on the various design principles of BIONICLE sets, and even in my drawings I created a vast network of rules I would follow when drawing in any particular style.BIONICLE taught me to be a part of an online community. Before BZPower, I had hardly any social presence online, and in my early days on BZPower I could often be rude and argumentative without even realizing it. Over time I learned how to distinguish a heated argument from a constructive debate, how to respond to criticism on my creative work, how to engage with friends without crossing social boundaries, and how to shape my own community reputation in a positive way.These are just a few of the things BIONICLE taught me, directly or indirectly. I may come back if I think of more, but it goes without saying that BIONICLE helped me through a very difficult transition period in my life, and I probably wouldn't have developed the same skills in the same way without it.

I learned that Lego is addicting. Just kidding. :PBionicle has made me more creative in general. I've learned a lot about mechanics from the gears/functions sets, and when I was younger, the story helped me to get more into reading/become a better reader and increase my vocabulary. BZPower also gave me some online forum experience. :)

In a way, I learned how to write. Kinda. I started creatively writing on BZP, and BZP is really what made me the writer that I am today (still not that good, but so much better than I was when I was first starting), and since BZP was because of Bionicle, Bionicle therefore indirectly started my writing. newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

Don't go left.

... unless you're a Doctor Who character?*shot*

that makuta can, in fact, come out of that alive. every time....

This is true.Well, as for me, I don't know anymore. I learned a whole lot of trivia, how to build articulated figures, and how to write badly. I also became part of this community.The question is, did I learn anything, or did I learn anything?~

:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r:~

"YOU'D THINK, FOR BEING A DEAD MAN, I'D BE MORE TRIUMPHANT THAN I AM."

Hm... What did I learn?From Kopaka, I learned that your actions are worth more than words. From Mata Nui, I learned that it's good to humble yourself for the greater good. From Tahu, I learned that pride, arrogance, and ignorance of teammates is bad leadership. From Teridax, I learned that you should always have a back-up plan before breakfast :P From Ackar, I learned that there's more to winning than just power and style. From Brutaka, I learned that you can always get back up, no matter how hard you fell. From Lewa, I learned how to have fun and enjoy life, even in a serious situation. From Jaller and Garan, I learned that you don't have to be recognized as important to do great things. From Matoro, I learned that friends and family are worth the sacrifice. From Nuju, I learned that your true friends will always accept you, no matter how complicated you are. And from so many others, I learned to have faith if you want things to turn out for the best.And from BIONICLE itself, I learned how to become the man I am today--a writer, athlete, friend, and teacher. I suppose you could say BIONICLE taught me everything I hadn't yet fully learned from the Bible. But hey, that's just me.signoffffff.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I learned that green is truly the best color, people dying is totally funny (giant rocks, being killed and instantly replaced, etc. Classic XD), MOCing on a large scale is very difficult and above all, convolution in a story can kill the reader's dreams, expectations and even adoration of the greatest characters. Also, it's fun to geek-out with other people in S&T (though that's more of what BZP taught me. This site gave a lot more values during my childhood than the actual story itself).

Edited by Tekulo: Toa of the Breeze

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

English, as I was 7 or 8 and my mom didn't want to translate the entire MNOG :PI learned the Bionicle alphabet at the same time I started learning English, haha!I learned to feel comfortable in a fictional universe :) I loved in the MNOG (and II) how nothing changed in the villages. I liked that idea, since everything in real life changes. In the villages, everyone has their task and they just do that every day, in a peaceful way. They're all friendly, yet busy little guys :PI learned how it's cool to know a lot about something(compared to the people around me). Everyone thought of Bionicle as robot knights with masks and little priests and that's about all they knew :P I knew the language and everything, so I felt like an expert :P Compared to you all I know nothing though.

I turned out to be exactly the grown-up I wanted to be.
A child - but with a credit card.

wsjf4.png

Kanohi upside down = epic beard.

We've all tried it, don't deny it.