X-Men: Discussion Topic

Krayzikk

But Japan has the Gundams. EVAs.Where do you think we got the technology

Fixed that for you...

The EVA isn't actually that useful in combat situations other than killing eldritch symbolic monsters of doom. In conventional combat, it lacks the battery life to fight properly, and possesses less armaments than the traditional giant robot.

Unless it's 01.

Gundams were effective in Gundam because of the Minovsky particle (At least in the original series). ICBMs and other long range targeting systems don't work that well if your radar, sonar, pr thermal imaging software is being jammed by the air itself. As a result, the idea of ametal giant suddenly becomes more useful simply because of longer vision range. A man standing on top of a house will see farther than a man on the ground.

No, they just aimed at the ground. Don't even have to look to take out a few tanks. And if the tanks were far away, they didn't even have to bend down. Besides, most of the major factions were using Mobile Suits as well so there weren't a lot of tanks on the ground, as nobody wanted to be stepped on. A barrage of 120mm bullets or a humongous bazooka rocket could take tanks out instantly. As a result, it was largely Mobile Suit vs Mobile Suit.

This principle doesn't really apply to Marvel though as the Brotherhood doesn't have the funding to build Strike Freedom Gundam. And besides, the war isn't taking place in space... yet, so plunging the country deeper into debt isn't really the most efficient idea.

Edited by Constructman

I mean the show had to bend the laws of the universe by making up something up to make walkers a viable design.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

It's your typical excuse mechanic. Nothing more nothing less. Walkers are cool but tanks are more effective.

Solution for show makers: AT fields.

I depise things like that. It's a copout.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

If giant walkers had the agility of humans, they'd probably be the ultimate vehicle.

It'd be like Transformers, except with the size of a Gundam the ground troops would be a lot more terrified.

Anyway, Basilisk, most mutants are born with something crazy. If everyone was a mutant, it'd be like it is now, but with everyone buffed. Weak people would be like mutants with water squirters in their thumbs or something, while strong people would be more like tornado makers. Overall, the difference in power between the weakest mutant and the strongest is proportional to the difference in strength between the weakest human and the strongest.

Which would keep the balance of power relatively the same. And what happens if the criminal mutants attack the few remaining normal humans? It's like what happens when a crazy man goes on a school shooting. Another horrific crime, but with the law enforcement also being superpowered, the overall outcome would be much the same.

And I never said to abolish laws or anything. In fact, the new mutants could register without fear of being shunned because they're all over the place now. Makes it easier to track crimes down than it is in today's world, since no two mutants have the exact same powers set. I never said I wanted to introduce anarchy.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

The is an unacceptable fate for baseline humanity.

Yeeeeeeeah, for once, I'm with Baslisk on this one. Giving an entire species superpowers is a really bad idea, because it doesn't even do what its purpose is. It won't, in point of fact, level the playing field.The X-Gene causes random mutations. And as has been shown in Marvel canon and this game, at varying levels of effectiveness. You get the superpowerful, like Quicksilver, and then you get Amy. The little girl with the invisible bodyguard. By establishing a society where everyone is a mutant, you A. make it so hierarchy will basically be decided by who's toughest, and B. make it so the few remaining humans cower in fear.Think about how many criminals there are in the world. Now picture them if they'd been given a superpower at birth. The only people even on a relatively even playing field who might try to stop them are of an equal or lesser power level. Criminals could easily escape and cause more havok, warfare becomes infinitely more bloody. And this is only accounting for basic human nature.Unlike what you might want to think, nine out of ten people would not step up to be a super hero. And at least one of those ten people would choose to become the villain. The rest? Probably couldn't care less, or couldn't take a life even in self defense.

No one ever said what Quicksilver plans to do is right. Just that those are his plans. He believes in survival of the fittest and the most evolved and all that. The strong would probably be dictators or tyrants.

And I'm sorry to hear that Zyke. All I can say is stay strong bro, and take however much time you want.

...TNG, your logic is still flawed. Making everyone superpowered takes away any advantage law enforcement has, and makes criminals harder to catch. Most mutants don't mutate crazy awesome abilities, and even more than that, most of them never learn how to use their abilities for direct conflict.Criminals do.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Break out the nukes. Kill the xenos. Etc.

This really stops being shocking after awhile.

Edited by Basilisk

Break out the nukes. Kill the xenos. Etc.

This really stops being shocking after awhile.

Tch nuke them and you ensure that, whatever their previous purpose, now they're going to be angry. They seem to be working against the Brotherhood now but nuke them and you might make yourself the next target.

Assuming nukes do actually bring them down you'll be causing collateral damage as their ships crash over who knows where. And if you're not worried about that because they're over Genosha then bear in mind you've handed alien technology (which we know for a fact includes shielding) to the Brotherhood. You think they're bad now, wait until they're packing extraterrestrial weaponry. You're going to cause far more problems than you actually solve, assuming this current invasion is in fact a problem in the first place

You really need to get over this problem with racism you have Basilisk :P

Edited by Lord of Adders Black

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Funny. I don't see them being all that active and in your face about it. Anymore at least. Canonwise.

Almost like they're afraid or something

or simply stopped caring because of how bad this world is...

War...war never changes.

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

-Rise Against, Re-Education (through Labor)

Funny. I don't see them being all that active and in your face about it. Anymore at least. Canonwise.

Almost like they're afraid or something

alistair and excalibur say haiand his entire backstory:p

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

or simply stopped caring because of how bad this world is...

So it's our duty to draw them down to our level. Revenge is as good a goal as any.

EDIT: I'm so making a character to wage war on the gods. Challenge accepted.

Edited by Basilisk

With a really really big gun. As the size of an explosion increases, the amount of gods and other nonhuman slime it cannot kill rapidly approaches zero.

MAN HAS NO SHARP TEETH, like the lion; no great claws, like the bear, he cannot run as swiftly as the leopard; he carries no poison like the snake...
Yet this poor animal, man, with no fur to cover him, no fangs to tear with, no claws to scratch with, is master of the earth. The lion runs from him. The bull blind with fury, comes to him - and is dragged away by mules to the butcher shop. The elephant, the rhinocerous, even the snorting buffalo, at last have got mans measure, and, when they scent him, hurry to their hiding places.
For man despite his weaknesses, has two weapons which other creatures do not have: he has the insight which teaches him to use sticks, stones, and metals as his claws and teeth and that most efficient of machines, the hand, which does all the bidding of his mind, to turn stick, flint, and leather thong into weapons which will strike down even King Wolf himself...
And from man's pride in the weapons that give him power has grown his art. In the dawn time, the earliest painters put pictures on their cavern walls showing man, with his spears and arrows, hunting the creatures to their doom. Still latter, songs were made to celebrate the sword, the chariot, the high-masted ship of war. No warrior-lord would go into the dark without his weapons, whether they were laid beside him in the grave, or carved in stone upon his tomb in a quiet country church...
Dare we say even that our sports and pastimes are free from conflict and death? Boxing, wrestling, fencing, archery, hunting, fishing-even football-are all reminders of man's desire to conquer, his need to stay alive against all the opponents the world has to set before him. Whether he is out in the deer stands or lonely beside the stream, or in tribes and packs struggling to gain possession of an oval ball that once was the head of a king, man is a fighter; and this book is meant to spy on him, down through the centuries, as he goes about his fundamental occupation of proving his mastery against all comers.
— Fighting Men: How Men Have Fought Through the Ages by Henry Treece and Ewart Oakeshaft

The gods don't stand a chance.