BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

Yessiree. A war. Anyone got any ideas on swaying the infuriatingly level-headed Dasaka government towards unwarranted violence?

Weeeeeeell, there is Moeru's threat to break away from the government if they decide to attack Mata Nui, but it seems everyone's ignoring that.

:a::k::i:

Xbox LIVE: FlamingCheese77

BZPRPG Profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9733-bzprpg-profile-pages/?p=547516

~Ignitus~Rerus~Xadah~Moeru~Rida~Turi~Sokia~Kashikoi~Yujin~Bani~Waru~Tasuke~Therin~Diabhal~

I think the idea of causing a giant war might work if the politicians actually had a political meeting in a political place like the Imperial Court, instead of just a discussion in the markets. There's been a preliminary testing of the waters, now it's time to really get things rolling.

Alright, I'll make this short. I'm cutting my character roster down a bit in size, and Krios is getting the axe, because I'm weary of him and he doesn't really serve a useful purpose anyway. I'd thought about trying to develop him into a more intriguing character, but... well, I just couldn't muster any enthusiasm, and as every knows, if you don't enjoy writing it, your audience more than likely won't enjoy reading it. That's a story rule, but it applies here as well, I think.

So if anyone wants death rights on a Vortixx gambler and rapscallion, PM me. First come first served. Alternatively, if you'd like to take him on as one of your own characters rather than simply killing him off for whatever purpose, that's fine too. :)

First off i was never looking for syvra to kill anyone.. I don't know how you all got that from the post i had written.. All i was asking was what you all do to try and get past the morality of killing a character..

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Just wondering, where exactly is the battle between the Inika and Tarakava/huge sea monster of evil and death occurring? Just outside Ga-Koro? Further out in the sea?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Hey guys, I apologize for the recent inactivity. Life has been catching up with me as of late, so I'm gonna need to ship out for a while. I'm not sure when I'll be back in full swing, so for now I'll leave it up to Vox to take care of Vail (feel free to bunny him if need be). Toatapio gets Zeth (feel free to do the same). Sorry for any inconveniences this may cause, I hope to be back soon. Happy gaming to all! Later for now :)

Okay, whats with all the cursing in this RPG? If you're going to have a player curse why not put some thought into a bionicle style curse? Seeing a bunch of hashtags really detracts from a post I'm reading because I have to imagine what was filtered. Besides, why even bother writing out a curse that's gong to be filtered? I find I'm getting annoyed by the issue so I'm bringing it up for a conversation topic here. How do you feel about it?

Edited by Hatachi

Okay, whats with all the cursing in this RPG? If you're going to have a player curse why not put some thought into a bionicle style curse? Seeing a bunch of hashtags really detracts from a post I'm reading because I have to imagine what was filtered. Besides, why even bother writing out a curse that's gong to be filtered? I find I'm getting annoyed by the issue so I'm bringing it up for a conversation topic here. How do you feel about it?

If it's something that manages to add and improve to the post, I personally don't mind. Most of the time, this tends to be for some comedic relief effect in accordance to the situation, such as a massive squid monster fish or something.

This is probably just me, but there are times when I read 'Karz' or something of the sort and it's that which takes me out of the moment.

GT: Jl1223 X <----add me :3

(╯◕_◕)╯

BZPRPG Profiles 2013

Personally, I very rarely like 'bionicle style curses'. They detract from my immersion and challenge my suspension of disbelief, because they are honestly just really awkward terms. Admittedly, I dislike made-up curses for fiction in general, but stuff like 'karzing' makes no sense however you look at it and is just generally unseemly, whereas at least in some cases fictional swears are made bearable by an in-universe justification. If the plot calls on a swear from a character, I'd rather see hashes than an awkwardly shoehorned-in BIONICLE-based curse.

- Indigo Individual

• Upvote 1

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

To paraphrase what I said to someone else;

While I don't make use of it, for the most part, I understand why people do. It doesn't really work. They work sometimes; Go to Karzahni, Piraka, etc.

But often times they just don't work, and when you try to invent one, more often than not, it sucks. And even if it doesn't, people focus on the "What was that", not the gravitas the line is supposed to have.

Edited by Simon the Digger
  • Upvote 2

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I think I might be the only one who agrees with Kughii here, thought not to the full extent of ripping me out of immersion. It's just... the hash signs are annoying. That said, Sam Tyler's point on 'Karzing' makes sense, so I think best would be to use proper curses like "Go to Karzahni". If you can't think of anything, then maybe your character doesn't need to cuss. Either way, hashtags and karzing is annoying.

But I will still use Karz. Seems like a legitimate abbreviation of Karzahni used in the sense we use the word in cussing.

Edit: Oh wow talk about irony. You know what does hash signs are. A stronger version of heck, I suppose.

Edited by Norik Of Gielinor

Relatively far out in the endless ocean.

Would a character on the outskirts of the Koro be able to see/hear the fighting?

In my opinion, actual curses shouldn't be in a Bionicle RPG because they were generally not part of the Bionicle canon that we all know, as in most characters did not. Most characters that cursed were simply referenced as, "he muttered something unspeakably foul" or something like that.

However, I think that things like "Go to Karzahni" work, as long as they don't interrupt the flow with some made-up or obviously out-of-place expression.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I'm surprised that we're discussing something that should really be a non-issue. If somebody's character cursed in a post, so what? If seeing a filtered word in a post is such an issue for somebody, it's really not something the writer should have to deal with unless it's horribly excessive. It just means that that somebody needs to get over their issues with it.

Especially when most "bionicle-style" curses that one might come up with detract from the writing quite a bit more than would the appearance of a filtered word.

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

I think I might be the only one who agrees with Kughii here, thought not to the full extent of ripping me out of immersion. It's just... the hash signs are annoying. That said, Sam Tyler's point on 'Karzing' makes sense, so I think best would be to use proper curses like "Go to Karzahni". If you can't think of anything, then maybe your character doesn't need to cuss. Either way, hashtags and karzing is annoying.

But I will still use Karz. Seems like a legitimate abbreviation of Karzahni used in the sense we use the word ###### in cussing.

Edit: Oh wow talk about irony. You know what does hash signs are. A stronger version of heck, I suppose.

While I agree with Otter that this shouldn't be an issue, I want to take a moment to address this post -- not the point made in it, but the fact that hashes managed to work their way into it.

BZP's filtering is often excessive (and inconsistent). It is well within the realm of plausability that some of the censored words you are seeing were not that serious -- it's just that BZPower put them in along with the others. While I am aware that most swears will not be this, it is a point that is worth taking into account.

In my opinion, actual curses shouldn't be in a Bionicle RPG because they were generally not part of the Bionicle canon that we all know, as in most characters did not. Most characters that cursed were simply referenced as, "he muttered something unspeakably foul" or something like that.

This isn't canon, and most of us won't write exactly like Greg, because we aren't Greg. Some writers will allude to swearing, some will just write it out. Some will even do a bit of both (I know I do), and none of those is technically wrong (except writing exactly like Greg, for a multitidude of reasons I won't even begin to get into). The BZPRPG allows us to take these elements of BIONICLE into our own hands, and make it into something different. And, honestly, looking at it now it is very, very different. In a world with near-human biomechanical beings, entirely different civilisations with entirely different gods, and scarves, I don't think sticking to how swearing was treated in canon matters all that much anymore.

- Indigo Individual

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

Honestly, I've never really used hashtag curses or the like. 'Karzahni' works for me most of the time. If else, I'd just put the aforementioned 'He cursed under his breath' instead of it. Breaking the filter with symbols is distracting, I concur with Kughii in that regard.

But I don't think it is always unwarranted, and is a personal choice. To avoid confusion, why doesn't someone just put the first/last letter of a swear down with symbols hiding the rest? H###, or D##M, for instance.

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen
I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

BZP's filtering is often excessive (and inconsistent).

This so many times over. I mean, it filters... let's just say "c##p."

And then there's jerk. I mean, I kinda get why it's filtered, but by that logic there are all sorts of words that should be filtered, which aren't.

Edited by The Nold

BZPRPG Profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9733-bzprpg-profile-pages/?p=547516

~Ignitus~Rerus~Xadah~Moeru~Rida~Turi~Sokia~Kashikoi~Yujin~Bani~Waru~Tasuke~Therin~Diabhal~

We can't say we jerked something, we can only say we "pulled it quickly from its previous position to another with a very sharp motion."

EDIT: good golly ###### isn't censored anymore what

EDIT x 2: Never mind, the past tense version isn't censored, but the actual verb is...hmm.

Edited by The Otter

profiles i guess

We can't say we jerked something, we can only say we "pulled it quickly from its previous position to another with a very sharp motion."

EDIT: good golly ###### isn't censored anymore what

EDIT x 2: Never mind, the past tense version isn't censored, but the actual verb is...hmm.

I think I've noticed that before. Hmmm... Lemme try something:

Jerk

Jerked

Jerking

Jerkable

Edited by The Nold

Staff powers, activate!

J-e-r-k and its plural form are filtered because they can be used as insults to other members; maybe that kind of filtering is overprotective, but it's how things are. Obviously, the word j-e-r-k has a non-insulting meaning in its verb form, but since most of us RP in the past tense, and "jerked" isn't censored, it's a non-issue. Besides, we're all good enough writers to find substitutes if they're needed.

As for putting first/last letters on a word full of hashtags to imply which curse word you're trying to say (i.e. "h###" instead of h-e-double-hockey-sticks), that's considered circumventing the word filter, and it isn't allowed. As long as the rules are being followed, I see "#####" as equally legitimate as "karz" or whichever curse you decide to employ.

Personally, I think it's best to use overlong (or perhaps Shakespearean-style) insults or exclamations IC - they're the most fun.

test2.png

Thou mangy cur, how darest thou interrupt a discussion amongst us esteemed players simply to intimate unto our masses some trivial nugget of information that won't enlighten us at all.

Like that?

(tee-hee)

But yeah. There's really no point in getting annoyed about seeing a filtered word.

profiles i guess

But I RP in present tense.

*Shakespearean expletive*

Anyway, like most of the people have said, I find it best to just type what you wanna say, let the filter do its magic, and check to make sure the post still makes since.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, why are things so slow this week?

EDIT: On a different unrelated note, I seem to remember someone mentioning a long time ago that there have been Parakuka/host combos with different players. Anyone remember how that went?

Edited by The Nold

Hey guys, I apologize for the recent inactivity. Life has been catching up with me as of late, so I'm gonna need to ship out for a while. I'm not sure when I'll be back in full swing, so for now I'll leave it up to Vox to take care of Vail (feel free to bunny him if need be). Toatapio gets Zeth (feel free to do the same). Sorry for any inconveniences this may cause, I hope to be back soon. Happy gaming to all! Later for now :)

What was that? Sacrifice Vail to Voulge's dark ussal deity? If you insist

Also most likely not much will happen by the time you return since in the current scene we are waiting for Psychopomp Virithri and one other person to post before it can continue.

However I must admit I found the fact that the system blocks certain terms, specifically a type of Jamaican chicken dish. humorous. But heck I also find it fun to create my own forms of insult for the BZPRPG

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I'm personally rather partial to inventing Bionicle-style curses, although I'm not in any way opposed to alluding to them through the filter, it goes a little back and forth.

'karzing' doesn't make sense to me because you wouldn't use the world we replace it with in that way: 'H-e-double hockey sticks-ing'... that's not an actual expression.

I interchange 'Karz' and 'Karzahni' dependent on how the word is used (i.e. 'Go to Karzahni' vs. 'What the Karz')

Also, it's good to be back, the MNW will be due on Tuesday as usual.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...