Bzprpg News And Discussion

Friar Tuck

A spring, as in, a pogo stick?

no, like a spring "wind-up" thing on a gear, so my matoran would wind it up at the.... lets just call it a bus stop. then he would put peg in ont of the holes, stoping it from moving. after that, the passengers and cargo will get on, my mataoraan releases the peg that was stopping ther large gear, and then the gear turns, releasing the poential energy, and the gears turn an the wheels move. i have a sketch of it (without the sprng part becaue i am asking if i can use it)i can show you.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Sounds like a decent way of doing it, though I think actually winding that spring tight enough to move a vehicle full of people would require tremendous strength. You would also have to re-wind the spring several times on long trips, given how far wind-up toys usually go before losing power (not all that long).

its not exatly wind up. i havent got a picture or scan of my plans but the mechanism would work something like this. when i would "release the peg" the large gear under the "cart" moves, and it moving also would make the water bucket of the vehicle churn, because of 2 fins on the side on the axle (and ingenius invention if i do say so myself)would move ith it (or something like that) churning the water (perfect for on-the go-stew making). the large spring powered gear would have a chain or tread attached to a fairly smaller gear in the frnt of the evice, thus creating the "bycicle effect". this tread or chain would have gear "slots" on both ends, so the smaller gear will still act as a gear, because of the "prongs of the tread making up for the loss of the original gear "slots". these slots on the tread or chain will move a gear attached in the middle of the axle thats has 2 wheels on it with lighstone mounts. thus, the "front of the cart. got that?ill try to upload a picture maybe in the afternoonsorry about grammar and puncuation, but im in a rush

Edited by Bulik

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

But dudes. Dudettes.Broadsword (x2) + Chain = Sword-chucks, yo.

You Sir, win +10 Internets and free bacon.I don't know Nuju Metru. We still have things such as the Elevator in the Great Mine from MNOLG, the Cable Car, as well as powered boats that the Ga-Matoran used as well as the Po-Matoran when they left Po-Koro during the Bohrok Saga and the Boxor as well as the diggers used by the Onu-Matoran. They use some kind of power source equvilant to electricity yes? What would you consider the explanation for that?

With the power of Firefox now I CAN be in two places at once!

Things I've written: Interview with Nidhiki And other Interviews, TARGETED

Things I've guest stared/cameo'd in: Makuta infects the Eds! Seeing Thru the Fog

Thinks I've Co-authored: Adventures of Bolt and Company!

US Army Vet: HOORAH! BZPRPG Prof: Kalama

All credit for the "sword-chucks" joke go to Brian Clevinger. I'm simply quoting. :DRobots such as the Vahki have been stated to be "clockwork", but given that they need recharge stations I think electricity is far more likely. The thing about BIONICLE tech on Mata Nui is that they seem to have crude engines, but no fancy electronics. Nokama gave Takua some form of computer in the MNOG, and there were working screens on Metru Nui, but while on the island the Matoran did not have access to the needed production tools. Therefore, they may be technological geniuses, but they can't make much when all they have is leftover cogs and stone.

Edited by Katuko

I know but you still win the Internets for coming out of left field like that.Here's one from left field as well. Forget conventional martial weapons. Let's all use... *whips out Yuni's Frying Pan... OF DOOOOOOOOM!!!*I'm not sure I would use "crude" to describe the engines. To me that simply implies it's a patchwork job that wasn't designed for long term use and starts falling apart as soon as it turns over(=starts engine). They seemed pretty well put together like Clockworks normally are. It's not the device that's in question because anyone can design a "working prototype". It's the POWER SOURCE we're trying to solve here. They have the tools to find and recover the materials needed to build such things and they obviously have the tools to manufacture such things but when it comes to a power source. That's where we really falter.Here's an easy one. Nurapu's welding laser from the Bohrok Saga. The main "gun" itself is probably simply all focusing mirrors and glass to intensify the heat into a solid "beam" used to weld stuff. The power source? Heatstones of course!Now if you really take a look at most motors in household items here's how it actually works. The motor is actually two magnets. One is an electromagnet that uses the electricity to change "poles" so to speak that attracts/repels the second magnet which turns the shaft in side the motor to produce the motion needed to power whatever the primary purpose of the device is. Those are easy to build and are used on a larger scale in electric cars and so forth. Internal combustion is a different science altogether. While easier to use in our little world I don't see the necessary exhaust ports on any of BIONICLE's things to account for the exhaust meaning the power source is probably electric in nature.Makes sense when you think about it considering the nature of the beings in BIONICLE.Of course due to all the arcane things that also go on in this world we could always use the age old "Magic" and "A Wizard did it" excuses. How did the Rahkshi fly for example? That armor had to have had some kind of power source since it was nothing but Exo-armor for the Kraata.

Edited by Kalama and Ta Rahkshi

Things I've guest stared/cameo'd in: Makuta infects the Eds! Seeing Thru the Fog

There are plenty of flight powers in BIONICLE. Kanoka, for example, can be molded into a masks of both Levitation and Flight. And what are Kanoka? Purified protodermis. Since Kraata have to be dipped into Energized Protodermis to become a Rahkshi, it makes sense that they could easily have innate flight powers from that. I doubt that the Matoran engines used this form of energy source on Mata Nui, though.One thing I have noticed is that Matoran have cogs, pistons, tracks and pulleys, but no actual wheels. Their cargo ships on Metru Nui used either "walker legs" or levitation, while on Mata Nui I don't think we ever saw an actual cart.I agree that "crude" was the wrong word to use, but I'll chalk that up to my non-native English. :) Sometimes I just use words wrong. Let's say "basic" instead.

Edited by Katuko

I don't know Nuju Metru. We still have things such as the Elevator in the Great Mine from MNOLG, the Cable Car, as well as powered boats that the Ga-Matoran used as well as the Po-Matoran when they left Po-Koro during the Bohrok Saga and the Boxor as well as the diggers used by the Onu-Matoran. They use some kind of power source equvilant to electricity yes? What would you consider the explanation for that?

Yeah, those exist, and who knows where their energy comes from. There must be a power source that exists on Mata Nui - but it isn't defined. Could be burned fossil fuels, could be magnetic, could be solar, could be steam. I don't know what it is. Neither do you, neither does anyone. Therefore it just isn't sensible to let people allude to it in devices that they create. Like I said, you should know exactly how a device you create works, in your mind's eye, for it to be feasible - and if you don't understand the harnessing of or nature of the "electricity," then you shouldn't be allowed to use it. Look, guys, I know that you all want to give your characters cool gizmos to make them more powerful, or stylin', or whatever. But this isn't Metru Nui. It's not Aensettr Derrum, or Locus Abeo, or any other location that the RPG played on in the past. This is Mata Nui. It's a concrete and defined setting from the BIONICLE canon, with predefined moods and societies. Mata Nui is an island paradise, mostly wild, which has been settled in places by small, basic villages. There aren't castles, there isn't an established gentry, there aren't v8 engines: What you see is what you get.I understand that there are plenty of players and characters in the game who understand how modern-day technology works. Some PCs are, after all, from the outside world, even if they don't remember it. With them, they bring a good deal of knowledge and technology of their own. But their technology isn't replicable on Mata Nui. Where will all the advanced metals come from? The manufactured parts? Mata Nui is not an island of industry or invention. It is an island where the inhabitants live in harmony with the land. They do not attempt to master or control nature, because they don't need to.Of course, some technological advances are bound to happen in present-day Mata Nui. There's an influx of new knowledge, after all. But these steps forward are very minor, and they have to happen IC. You can't take for granted that somebody else has already re-invented a bicycle, for instance - your character must make it themselves, and you as a player must understand exactly how it works and what it's made of. Increasingly, though, it seems that people are resisting the untamed, small-scale nature of the island. This bothers me a little. Guys, the BIONICLE universe doesn't bend to fit your player wills. If you're looking to build an airship, or any kind of motorized transportation really, you're in the wrong RPG. If you want to command armies from fortresses, then Mata Nui isn't the place to do it. The setting in this game is concrete; it isn't to be reinterpreted full-out, though some of you seem to miss that. The BZPRPG staff chose Mata Nui as the setting for the initial reboot because it was a simpler and more wild place than our past settings. We had hoped that the tribal vibe and idiosyncratic spirit of Mata Nui would manifest in your guys' playing, or that you'd at least respect the soul of BIONICLE's origins. You guys didn't; we though that maybe the right tone hadn't been set because of feudal Xa-Koro, so we were keen to get rid of it for the start of the BZPRPG III. I even made those Wahi header images that are in the first page of every post, just as a reminder of what the island of Mata Nui is.But still, the impulsive need to advance and technologize endured, and does endure... The wholesome nature of Mata Nui is trampled underfoot by players who treat the island like it's modern. It isn't. You can't build cars and castles and armies; resource issues aside, this is not a society where cars or castles or armies have ever even existed. Think logically - how can a metropolitan mindset pervade on an island without cities? Matoran are an innocent people on Mata Nui. It really disheartens me to see people playing without that characteristic innocence. Remember what Mata Nui is supposed to be. If you were around in 2001 like I was, the nostalgic reverence you have for the island should be manifesting itself - if you weren't, go play some MNOLG or watch Bohrok animations to get a sense of what I'm talking about. Mata Nui is a beautiful island that, no matter how much hardship its people face, remains a pure and good place. Don't push the limits just because you can. It isn't always the most rewarding to use stretches to solve your problems or enhance your character. Playing within the confines of a world that's already been made lends your RPing more credibility, more detail, and more satisfaction. Everyone has a part to play, even without changing the nature of Mata Nui. Every character in this game is a part of the world, so make sure they act like it. Okay?

test2.png

Yeah, those exist, and who knows where their energy comes from. There must be a power source that exists on Mata Nui - but it isn't defined. Could be burned fossil fuels, could be magnetic, could be solar, could be steam. I don't know what it is. Neither do you, neither does anyone. Therefore it just isn't sensible to let people allude to it in devices that they create. Like I said, you should know exactly how a device you create works, in your mind's eye, for it to be feasible - and if you don't understand the harnessing of or nature of the "electricity," then you shouldn't be allowed to use it.

Ah, we see. We approve of this explanation. We will carry on now.Yeah I enjoyed the old Mythos a little more than anything past Voya Nui. That's when things got a little bit weird... mind you it wasn't bad and I got over my initial discomfort and grew to kind of like the whole Worlds within Worlds thing but the Voya Nui/Mahri Nui saga... just didn't seem to fit well.I mean... the Cord seemed more to keep Voya Nui from drifting too far from it's position so when it did come back down it would just pop right back into place. Severing it seemed more likely to make the island drift OUT of place.And the whole Order of Mata-Nui thing for Axonn and Brutaka? Cheap cop out.

Remember what Mata Nui is supposed to be. If you were around in 2001 like I was, the nostalgic reverence you have for the island should be manifesting itself - if you weren't, go play some MNOLG or watch Bohrok animations to get a sense of what I'm talking about. Mata Nui is a beautiful island that, no matter how much hardship its people face, remains a pure and good place.Okay?

I remember Mata-Nui. Mata-Nui was fun. We had gears, and they made the Toa's arms move, and that was enough. My first set was a Bohrok, and I got endless enjoyment from watching the head snap forwards.On a different note, there's a cave in Onu-Wahi with a group of Toa and an insane Vortixx, if anyone is interested. :)

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

In light of this new ruling, I now feel the need to make an inquiry:Would a race of reptilian immigrants who arrived on Mata-Nui, say, a century ago, no longer be allowed, even if they brought nothing really new in the way of technology and the like (sans perhaps a new type of ship to make such a journey)?

helo frens

I understand that there are plenty of players and characters in the game who understand how modern-day technology works. Some PCs are, after all, from the outside world, even if they don't remember it. With them, they bring a good deal of knowledge and technology of their own. But their technology isn't replicable on Mata Nui. Where will all the advanced metals come from? The manufactured parts? Mata Nui is not an island of industry or invention. It is an island where the inhabitants live in harmony with the land. They do not attempt to master or control nature, because they don't need to.Of course, some technological advances are bound to happen in present-day Mata Nui. There's an influx of new knowledge, after all. But these steps forward are very minor, and they have to happen IC. You can't take for granted that somebody else has already re-invented a bicycle, for instance - your character must make it themselves, and you as a player must understand exactly how it works and what it's made of.

Though I understand the staff doesn't want us trampling over the nature of Mata Nui, I see a potential flaw in Nuju's logic, one I'd like to point out to see how he deals with it.-in the first paragraph, he asks where the advanced metals and manufactured parts would come from. With the combination of math and well used elemental powers, it's entirely possible to manufacure parts. Some parts could even be taken from killed Rahi. Thanks to Toa of Iron, advanced metals are possible if a local Vortixx happens to have a small sample on hand for him to work from. Although these methods are not highly suitable to mass manufacture, they do provide some possible methods of overcoming the challenges of Mata Nui's limited tech resources.In the second paragraph, I have one question for Nuju-What of enigineers and the like who sell their innovations? That is a very likely way around having to invent things ourselves. Though another PC still has to make the innovation, it is rather plausible that someone might choose to sell their inventions for a profit (especially with Vortixx on the island.) Edited by toatc

In light of this new ruling, I now feel the need to make an inquiry:Would a race of reptilian immigrants who arrived on Mata-Nui, say, a century ago, no longer be allowed, even if they brought nothing really new in the way of technology and the like (sans perhaps a new type of ship to make such a journey)?

Personally, purist that I am, I'd rather it didn't exist. But if the species was already approved by staff, you're still allowed to play as it (and don't worry, I won't resent it! :P). My above post was really more talking about directionality in the future of the game, and going back to fix the egregious errors that have already happened.

Though I understand the staff doesn't want us trampling over the nature of Mata Nui, I see a potential flaw in Nuju's logic, one I'd like to point out to see how he deals with it.-in the first paragraph, he asks where the advanced metals and manufactured parts would come from. With the combination of math and well used elemental powers, it's entirely possible to manufacure parts. Some parts could even be taken from killed Rahi. Thanks to Toa of Iron, advanced metals are possible if a local Vortixx happens to have a small sample on hand for him to work from. Although these methods are not highly suitable to mass manufacture, they do provide some possible methods of overcoming the challenges of Mata Nui's limited tech resources.In the second paragraph, I have one question for Nuju-What of enigineers and the like who sell their innovations? That is a very likely way around having to invent things ourselves. Though another PC still has to make the innovation, it is rather plausible that someone might choose to sell their inventions for a profit (especially with Vortixx on the island.)

Even if advanced metals technically are possible, toatc, doesn't mean that you absolutely need to make them. You're nitpicking at a bigger issue where those nitpickings are totally irrelevant. Like I said, pushing your boundaries just for the sake of pushing your boundaries is neither wise nor good. Just because something can happen, does not mean it should.However, yes, engineers who sell contraptions are allowed - one of my own characters is an Onu-matoran who does just that. However, the inventions you sell should be relatively basic and totally understandable - plus, if you want to get a technological item like that, you have to either buy it from another PC else or make it yourself.

test2.png

I've never been one for large, long words, so I'll make this short:The army isn't an army anymore.It's a small band of people who want Makuta gone. A very small amount of NPCs, of any, will be included. If Jianheim returns, it will probably be a small safehouse. But that's up to Fearless.And not even that if Nuju sees fit to disband it entirely.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

KNI: Quoting the main BZPRPG rules, here:

Non-Player Characters (NPC's) are legal to use in your posts. However, recurring NPC's such as personal bodyguards, armies, servants, etc. are not allowed.

Any NPCs that are there as an army of any size are illegal. And the castle is still a castle.

test2.png

That's not what I'm talking about, and kinda irrelevant.When you change a castle to a small fort, it isn't a castle.

Edited by The King of No Isles

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

Ghosthands, you are truly amazing. How do you request for characters to be put in this trailer?

Or maybe I sit too close to my monitor. :lol:So, are you going to make a trailer? Because that would be really cool.

wait.. trailer? as in for the RPG? How does that work? fan-art?

I was referring to one I made ages ago, for the beginning of the NBZP :PBut I'm glad you guys are enthusiastic; I've been thinking of making a new one for BZPIII, with actual characters.I'll keep you all posted here on any developments ;)

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Personally, purist that I am, I'd rather it didn't exist. But if the species was already approved by staff, you're still allowed to play as it (and don't worry, I won't resent it! :P). My above post was really more talking about directionality in the future of the game, and going back to fix the egregious errors that have already happened.

Though I understand the staff doesn't want us trampling over the nature of Mata Nui, I see a potential flaw in Nuju's logic, one I'd like to point out to see how he deals with it.-in the first paragraph, he asks where the advanced metals and manufactured parts would come from. With the combination of math and well used elemental powers, it's entirely possible to manufacure parts. Some parts could even be taken from killed Rahi. Thanks to Toa of Iron, advanced metals are possible if a local Vortixx happens to have a small sample on hand for him to work from. Although these methods are not highly suitable to mass manufacture, they do provide some possible methods of overcoming the challenges of Mata Nui's limited tech resources.In the second paragraph, I have one question for Nuju-What of enigineers and the like who sell their innovations? That is a very likely way around having to invent things ourselves. Though another PC still has to make the innovation, it is rather plausible that someone might choose to sell their inventions for a profit (especially with Vortixx on the island.)

Even if advanced metals technically are possible, toatc, doesn't mean that you absolutely need to make them. You're nitpicking at a bigger issue where those nitpickings are totally irrelevant. Like I said, pushing your boundaries just for the sake of pushing your boundaries is neither wise nor good. Just because something can happen, does not mean it should.However, yes, engineers who sell contraptions are allowed - one of my own characters is an Onu-matoran who does just that. However, the inventions you sell should be relatively basic and totally understandable - plus, if you want to get a technological item like that, you have to either buy it from another PC else or make it yourself.
So wait, does that mean I need to look to someone else for approval, then?:P

helo frens