The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

Don't mistake our criticisms for old habits dying hard. :P

I'm not a grouchy old veteran who's opposed to anything new. I'm just a player who's been a member of this forum for five years. I've seen RPGs come and go, and I've gotten to know what works and what doesn't. Nobody here is trying to stifle your creativity. We're just trying to test the viability of your ideas.

If you look several pages back, you can see the conversations that sprang up around Bionifight. Many members were adamant that such a game wouldn't work. Some were sure it would be a hit. Regardless, everyone threw their criticisms at it, because it's only by addressing its weak points that an RPG will improve. The hosts defended their idea, took a lot of advice, discarded some, and ended up making a popular game.

Your RPG might work. However, I'm doubtful, simply because I know the players here and I know what they tend to like. That doubt isn't a personal attack on you or your ideas; it's just my opinion. You can take it or leave it, but like everyone here, my goal isn't to see you get shut down. It's to see your idea become the best it can be.

I'll reply to some of your points tomorrow. I just wanted to put this up because I want to make sure we keep a good atmosphere in here. We're all on the same team. :)

If I recall correctly, the Bionifight GMs originally wanted to implement a hitpoints system for their game, since that was what had worked for them back when Bionifight was still a G&T game. After a lot of discussion, they dropped that idea. 

Now, I'm not saying Bionifight would have been more or less popular if they had kept that system, but it's an example of what Eyru outlined above: negotiating and reworking the game to work out what would best suit the usual audience of this forum. 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

If I recall correctly, the Bionifight GMs originally wanted to implement a hitpoints system for their game, since that was what had worked for them back when Bionifight was still a G&T game. After a lot of discussion, they dropped that idea. 

Now, I'm not saying Bionifight would have been more or less popular if they had kept that system, but it's an example of what Eyru outlined above: negotiating and reworking the game to work out what would best suit the usual audience of this forum. 

I think that, in the long run, Bionifight Infinite has done better without the HP system in place. It encourages players to use proper world building and realistic combat techniques during the arena rounds, since all that they can rely on in order to win is their own skill.

• Upvote 7

While I realize that RPGs on BZP don't usually use stats, this is primarily a text-based game. And frankly, the BZPRPG's lack of at least a way of showing character stats frustrates me. It seems very wishy-washy, and honestly more abuse-able than having a points system. 

Having played most if not all of the RTSRPGs that sprang up in COT/OTC for a while I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. Having a numbers system is just as if not more abusable than a simple free-flow style. 

I also feel the particular stats system you've come up with is...a bit lacking. It doesn't feel fully integrated. I have no idea how they actually impact anything we do. In a fight, how would agility, speed and strength affect each other? If someone has superior agility and speed but another has superior strength, can one just auto-dodge anything while the other gets hit all the time but no-sells it? You seem to think numbers will solve all combat problems...but how?

The rules about doors also seems tacked on. How would the 3 Wisdom open the door? Some sort of riddle to solve, or do we just tap our noggin on the door and it senses our smarts? And you seem to have ones that just allow a player of a specific level to enter, which make no sense. Why couldn't a 4 Wisdom characters get through any door a 3 Wisdom character could get through? 

Stats are fine in a game where you have a computer adding things up to decide how everything affects everything, but in a RPG where there's only our paltry human brains to do things? Stats just foul everything up. Especially when they've just been sprinkled on top like black pepper and not stirred in properly

• Upvote 7

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Stats can be a good addition to an RP but not the reason for it. Now my reasoning behind this is that they are there not to control what a character can do more to help explain why they can do it. For example. in an Old Transformers RPG I played we had stats for our characters based on the tech sheets released with the figures or on the websites. Well I have a character named Supersonic who was +10 in both speed and agility. Making him a pain in the metallic Aft to hit in game. I played him as a speed demon and while he also had a strength of 8-9 I never implemented it in game more then ticking off the other characters because I was zipping around like the cannon character blurr. He wasn't hit very often but was not out breaking faces every chance he got either.

So in order for someone to be able to damage him they had to creatively post a way to slow him down first or trap him in a large enough area blast that his speed and evasion wouldn't matter. on the flip side a stringer or more intelligent character would be more along the lines of a scientist or medic character. So while not in the field blowing stuff up like the soldiers or being blown up like the canon "red shirts".

Stats are good when they are a guide someone could reference to see how a character could stack up. Mr Scout/rookie isn't likely to do much damage to Mr Massive Boss Leader man. However with cleaver word play he could mess up the bigger guys day long enough for the heavy hitters to catch up and step in.

Anyway that is just my two cents on the subject having played an RP that implemented stats in an effective RP that's lasted some 15 years...

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Looking at it from that perspective, I could see how it would be easier to get a general idea of what a character could do by reading a "stat sheet" instead of a wall of text, but I don't think that they should have a big impact on how a character is written. Useful for seeing if a character is more likely to dodge than to block? Sure. Having those numbers actually interfere with gameplay? Not so much.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

See, that is how an effective stat system could be implemented. Not really controlling the RP but more of a reference. We don't have any stat system in the BZPRPG and that is ok. A good stat system though when properly filtered can work well without hampering one's creativity. That is the point I think.

• Upvote 1

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

And here we run into what I've deemed the Madden Paradox; in that if we keep giving an audience the same game over and over again, they'll never find a true diamond. I for one think that the usual audience should try something new. I'd be open to trying out an RPG with stats.

Now, LIVES are something I'm totally not for, but that's a different story.

The idea would be to create a sort of balance between storytelling and number-crunching. For instance, instead of what one guy said and 21 vs 15 = KO, it could run like this

IC Takama: Takama threw his mace towards Vahu.

OOC: Takama STR is at 10

OOC: Vahu END is only at 4, but his AGL is at 11 and his ELP is at 15

IC Vahu: Vahu barely had any time to react to the mace, but he was able to summon a small pillar of rock to stop the mace in it's tracks. 

It's all about how creative you can be with your stats. The biggest problem is not have a baseline, but if there was a set limit to your skills (like, say, 15) then we could give an approximate quantification to each stat. Like, 1 Elemental Power is barely Matoran-level, but 15 ELP is freaking Echelon.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I feel the need to point out that a stat based RPG never got through any of the contests. It's not just this group of RPers that don't really like the idea, it's almost every single one roughly since this sub-forum actually became a proper thing.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Hhm, I had an idea for stats. One I shall share here for the purposes of spitballing.

Basic setup involves a free style tournament, lots of contestants grouped into pairs. Big city to play around in and they're free to form larger teams. Each team is composed of a matoran or agori ie, unpowered being. Given the title of master, and a powerful summoned being, ie toa, skakdi, vortixx, glatorian etc. The summoning mechanics aren't important right now, but the master and their servant work in cooperation. Hopefully. (If you've read any of the Fate series of media, you ought to understand that part)

Masters would possess the ability to get a short read out of enemy servant's "stats". Which would basically be the skills/powers section of a profile condensed into numerical values, giving the team (and by extension, the other team) a chance to get a literal read of their potential enemy/ally and plan accordingly. Stats wouldn't necessarily be indicative of actual fighting ability, but would basically be a meta thing.

The intent of the system is to turn the whole, "learn your opponent's skills and strengths through experience" paradigm backwards. You're given an idea of your enemy before you engage them, something I hope would lead to a different sort of combat and interaction. Of course, part of this whole idea is the dynamics of the master/servant duo. Obedience is not forced between them and they could even work against each other, or conspire with an enemy master/servant to kill their other half and team up with the remainder, etc etc.

I don't have any plans for this right now, so I'm just putting it out there.

...but close to it

I feel the need to point out that a stat based RPG never got through any of the contests. It's not just this group of RPers that don't really like the idea, it's almost every single one roughly since this sub-forum actually became a proper thing.

I feel if handled right, this could become a pretty neat idea. Whether or not it works in the long run is beyond my foresight, but how will we now if we don't give it a chance?

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

It's not just a matter of if it can work, it's a matter of if anyone wants it. If someone wants to make a stat based game, they can try.

But I think it's pretty clear that almost no one wants one, and I as a judge am not willing to approve a stat-based game without a clear playerbase.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Agreed. Even the most thought out stat based game is pointless under the knowledge that if nobody wants to even try to play it, then it wont go anywhere no matter how good it appears on the surface. Problem is, a game is only good if the players are first playing the game, and second having fun doing it.

Onua.png

Introducing...

Warlords of Zakaz

“There are toa, and then there are true warriors, true Skakdi. Morals? We don’t have those here on Zakaz. Not really practical in all honesty, ‘cause if you don’t take what you want, someone else will. Unlike the toa, we don’t have a pretty history, and we don’t have a pretty Mata-Nui either. We and our children didn’t grow up hearing legends of a great spirit who loved us and protected us. We grew up on Irnakk, fear, and most of all, anger. Oh yes, sweet, sweet anger. It burns in our flesh and drives us on. It’s the power behind every stroke every warrior makes with their sword. And it’s why we’re fighting this war, and why we probably always will be.”

-Skakdi General

History

Welcome to Zakaz, the spit of the matoran universe. Skakdi are one of the most hated species in the universe, and they hate everyone back. Everything, the way they talk, eat and live is looked down upon by those around them. It wasn’t always this way, negotiation was once considered an option in times of struggle, but people and times change.

The skakdi are not kind creatures like they used to be. It isn’t even completely their fault, but there are some scars that don’t heal. Nowadays, the skakdi are warriors, practically animals with weapons. Their loyalty is to their lord and selves, and no one else. Most hate each other, and friends? Not common at all. These beings usually live on their anger and hate, and the rules are to take for yourself or see someone else get it. Savage and wild, it’s no wonder they fell to war so quickly. The island is practically abandoned by the rest of the world, all travel and interaction between banned by higher orders. None but some daring traders from Xia bother to break the law, bringing in badly needed supplies for a good profit. For all else, the skakdi have learned to make do.

When the island was isolated, power fell to powerful generals and warlords. These lords are ambitious, cruel, and selfish. They live for power, and live to get more. The war lords built fortresses, large, made of brick, and heavily fortified. Soon, one ambitious lord struck. He sent out an army of heavily armed skakdi to another lord’s fortress, and the civil war began. Feeling threatened and craving the possibility of ruling the island, the other warlords joined in the fighting almost immediately, mobilizing and unleashing large scale attacks on each other, some joining into alliances.

In all this fighting, the previously fantastic cities that used to exist were destroyed and forgotten. They are lost treasures of the island, often having some little bit of resources such as metal or food, but are terribly rare. New skakdi fortresses would pop up all the time, only to be run down, polluting the island with rubble and ruins. Whereas it was once lush and rich in resources, the island is basically barren, what little wildlife left now being dangerous. Dangerous storms of all sorts aren’t uncommon and add on more struggles to the already hard lives of the skakdi. Surviving in the wilderness is practically impossible without camps and a good supply of resources. The geography has become rocky and dry, and often mountainous.

There is only one haven on the island, which is the freshwater lake valued by the Skakdi so much for being the only fresh water they can easily get. It is part of the drive for fighting for all the warlords, but is no longer actually fought in. At one point, the lords agreed and promised not to fight in it, instead having to use the sea around the island to travel faster and land attacks on other fortresses, though whether we see warlords break this pact in the future is hard to say.

Game play/Characters

The game play of Warlords of Zakaz is interesting. It involves a sort of level up system, characters gaining levels and power as they are played more and add more to the story. It takes place years from when the war first began, but battles are still fought as fiercely as if it just started. You start from level two, a skakdi peasant. Here are the different levels and what they are:

Level 1- Slave/Prisoner

Level 2- Renegade/Trader/Small Fighter/Guard

Level 3-Warrior/Higher-Class Guard/Spy

Level 4- Captain

Level 5- General

Level 6- Lord

The interesting part about your level is that it does not immediately decide how strong your character is. If a captain is captured and placed in a dungeon (which the fortresses have in this RPG, different from regular canon), they are still as experienced and (possibly) strong as a captain, and this should be kept in mind and be a part of the characters profile page, though that doesn’t mean there isn’t variation among classes, and most skakdi aren’t massively stronger/more powerful than others. Again, experience and influence is key; one’s strength still depends on the individual character. Usually it takes a Skakdi that is skillful and able to move upwards, and rarely will weak ones stay weak as they move up ranks. As you play, characters can gain power and influence and be ranked up, moving up this list by being awarded by the staff, usually for good game play and posting often. Each rank tells how influential, powerful or wealthy a character might be. Levels one and two require a little more specification, because a prisoner usually implies you are being held captive, whether in a dungeon or otherwise. The line between level 1 and other levels can be a lot thinner, for one can be another level while being level 1 in a lot of situations, such as a captain or warrior being taken as a prisoner of war. Movement between levels is not always free for every character, but if you play well and play with the story in just the right ways to gain enough power, you could find yourself being allowed to rise to the highest of ranks (yes, you can in fact rise to lord-ship!).

All players must play as Skakdi. They are the only species on the island except the occasional Vortixx trader, which are usually treated as NPC’s (though cannot be simply conjured when a player is in need of supplies). Skakdi can be of any gender. Each player Skakdi has elemental powers, but must be used in combination with another player. It is not allowed to make NPC Skakdi to use your power. The combinations usually result in unique combinations, for example a Skakdi of fire combining their power with a Skakdi of of earth/stone to create lava. As well as this, a Skakdi of a particular element has partial resistance to it, like a matoran. They are still susceptible to it, but less so. Their colors usually correspond to those of elemental characters in normal Bionicle canon. Their personalities and gender are not directly influenced by their element. Any parallels made by the player are technically coincidental. As well as this, loyalty to warlords is not based on element. Skakdi are mostly chaotic, rude and mean creatures, but make your characters interesting! Make them unique and they can be free to deviate from the stereotype. The list of elements a Skakdi can be is as follows:

-Air

-Earth

-Fire

-Gravity

-Ice

-Metal

-Jungle/the Green

-Lightning

-Magnetism

-Plasma

-Psionics

-Sonics

-Stone

-Water

-Acid

-Crystal

In addition to elements, Skakdi also have vision powers like in original canon. There is a large variety of vision powers that a Skakdi can have, but they can only have one. The (preliminary) list is as follows:

-Laser Vision

-Heat Vision

-Impact Vision

-X-ray Vision

-Object Control Vision

-Night Vision

-Shade Vision

-Decay Vision

-Light Vision

-Growth Vision

-Combination Vision

-Telescopic Vision

-Microscopic Vision

-Radar Vision

Skakdi physical features are typically that of regular Bionicle canon: large jaws/teeth, spines of all different shapes and sizes, claws, and glowing eyes. Proportions can vary, but skakdi are typically larger/thicker than most beings of the MU. Their body systems typically mirror that of humans, meaning they have to eat and drink for nutrition which they need to stay alive.

Skakdi as warriors, have access to tons of armor and weapons, the most used tools on the island. Your characters can have up to three weapons each. Most weapons are basic, like swords or axes, but one can have ranged weapons like midak sky blasters, cordak launchers, or the loved zamor sphere launchers. Characters can have only one ranged weapon each, and all others have to be melee. Think realistically though: a weapon is heavy and can take up a lot of space, so if you decide you want a large blaster, your other weapons are most likely to be smaller, or one of them could be a tiny knife. If you’re going for the dual sword action, your third weapon isn’t likely to be large or powerful.

A skakdi isn’t a living tank and is limited by physics as well, so while you’re powerful, other skakdi are usually very strong as well, so you can’t just shrug off an attack by another player. Think and play realistically. A game is much more fun when everyone isn’t god-like in strength and has weaknesses.

As was mentioned, the environment is typically rocky, mountainous and unattractive. The ruins of lost cities can be found and explored, but only in staff quests or with the permission of staff. These cities are rare and are mysteries. Most skakdi live/work inside of or around the fortresses set up by the warlords. What the fortress one lives in depends on which warlord they have sworn loyalty to, and the environment/conditions depend as well. If you live under a lord, you Characters who have no loyalty typically are traders or prisoners. Traders/wanderers/outcasts have a very hard life trying to live in the wilderness and have to live under a constant struggle to survive, though many usually can take up jobs under other lords as messengers, spies and such without swearing loyalty.

Skakdi often fight naval battles around the island and use boats to reach other areas, so think if you want your character to be more skilled in one particular work/skill rather than another, that’s cool, but you can be called upon to fight alongside any other skakdi in any other type of battle by a lord. There are also many kinds of other mobile weapons used in battle/for defense, so it’s not rare that you might see a catapult, mobile battle towers or other expensive/powerful vehicle being used. So, what kind of fighter are you? You have a large array of field positions to work in, though. Remember though, the lord you are sworn to can banish, kill or imprison you if you don’t listen to them or they see fit, and those of a higher rank than you have authority over you as well, so if you are assigned to a certain job under certain circumstances, you might choose it to be in your best interests to obey (but hey, RPG’s are open, who know what exactly will happen?).

Profile pages must be reviewed by a staff member before you start playing. Here’s the typical profile page outline:

Name:

Element:

Alignment:

Current Level:

Appearance:

Personality:

Weapons/Armor:

Strengths/Weaknesses:

Bio/History:

All other game play rules are basic and similar to that of other RPG’s, such as reasonable play and no Gmod’ing.

Now remember, this is still a pretty rough and early draft, so there are still lots of changes bound to happen, especially for story line purposes (there really isn’t even a basic one yet, but there will be!) and other rules. The interesting part about this RPG is that it is mostly a historic one! According to Bionicle canon, this actually happened, but I wouldn’t like for that to be a limiting factor. If there is an idea that’s new or different, I’d prefer for that to be introduced rather than force some sort of continuity. I’d also like to develop a history and make this feudal RPG style of game play really reach its height. I want to work on a new and unique story/world with you guys, so give lots of suggestions because I really feel like Warlords of Zakaz could be a lot of fun for all of us! And remember, this is far from finished, but give your most honest opinions if you would like to see this!

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 1

Interesting concept, I like where this is going. 

Will Zamor launchers be a thing in this game, since that's something skakdi are known for in canon? 

Also, in canon, some high-ranking skakdi possessed weapons that let them use their powers independent of other skakdi. Perhaps consider implementing this as a reward for players who reach a certain level? 

• Upvote 1

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Interesting. A Piraka only RPG... could be interesting I guess.

Onua.png

Taranis and Tenjin would have a field day in that RPG.

Two thumbs up.

• Upvote 1

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Are we limited strictly to the vision powers you present in the list or can we pick our own? And what about the other powers Skakdi have? BZPRPG generally only gives them two each for balancing reasons (well, they did last I looked), but where we're all Skakdi its no problem. Can we have equivalents to Thok's animation power, Avak's prison creation, Vezok's power duplication and so on?

• Upvote 3

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Interesting concept, I like where this is going. 

Will Zamor launchers be a thing in this game, since that's something skakdi are known for in canon? 

Also, in canon, some high-ranking skakdi possessed weapons that let them use their powers independent of other skakdi. Perhaps consider implementing this as a reward for players who reach a certain level? 

Zamor launchers I feel would most definitely be a part of the game! To me they always seemed like they were a part of skakdi culture (or something like that) so I'd like them to be in there, though I wouldn't want ranged weapons to be limited to them.

That's actually a good idea though! I think that'll definitely be in there since it would help with the power distinction between higher and lower ranking skakdi.

Ooh, I like this. would play.

What do Shade and Combination vision do, though?

The current vision list is bound to change and I came up with a bunch of ideas on the fly just to show that there will be more than seen in canon, so they might not be very fleshed out or thought through. Shade vision I believe allows the user to withstand or have a shade on their eyes against bright lights and such. I wouldn't imagine it to be the most interesting or useful, but I just wanted more powers on the list when I initially wrote it. Combination I feel allows the skakdi to combine two objects into one. It generally works on smaller objects and requires much more concentration to do it on larger things, so don't expect to see two skakdi morphed together running around! :P

Are we limited strictly to the vision powers you present in the list or can we pick our own? And what about the other powers Skakdi have? BZPRPG generally only gives them two each for balancing reasons (well, they did last I looked), but where we're all Skakdi its no problem. Can we have equivalents to Thok's animation power, Avak's prison creation, Vezok's power duplication and so on?

Hmm I feel that players would be able to suggest their own vision powers when creating a character and have them approved by the staff to make sure they're not overpowered. I want to stimulate creativity in how people organize their skakdi's powers and if a player has an idea for their own I'd like them to pursue it, as long as it's reasonable and not over-powered.

As to the other powers... I assumed that they were exclusive to the skakdi in the piraka but I now I realize that might not be true, and in general may or may not be a good idea for this RPG. I think I'd like to throw this question out to the public here and hear what they think about it, because it could prove to have some balancing issues. It could actually work out well for that though, since lower ranking skakdi only have one power most of the time in contrast to higher ranks which will end up with two if rewarded weapons that tap into their elemental powers.

By the way, I will be very disappointed if I don't find a Grokk or two running around causing havoc. :P

In all seriousness though, I'm not a very experienced role-player, and probably even less of a staff so I'm looking to see if anyone wants to help write this with me, preferably someone experienced like a veteran or judge or something. PM if you're interested in developing this with me!

Edited by Banana Gunz

The piraka had zamor launchers because they stole the prototypes from a weapons lab.

Oh, I had no idea. Eh, I still feel that zamor launchers should be a part of the game anyways. If there's something cool that's agreed should be a part of the game, it should be put in rather than thrown aside for the sake of canon (because RPG's aren't even canon anyway.)

The piraka had zamor launchers because they stole the prototypes from a weapons lab.

Wait, really? Hm, didn't know that. I always thought it was something a lot of skakdi had access to through their warlords, since they had all of those nektann drones equipped with them as well. 

What is it they say? You learn something new every day? Yeah I learned we have Bald Eagles down at the lake. One flew over head while a friend was fishing...

Onua.png

*Ignore this post*

Edited by The Manhunter

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

Limiting the choice of playable races to Skakdi only is an interesting premise.

I'm curious as to the number of factions/warlords, and who's going to control them. Can players create their own faction, and does it automatically level up the character in charge to a Lord? Are all starting factions led by staff characters? And, of course, how many starting factions are there? The backstory makes it sound like there are many factions, but too many factions in an RPG will lead to the playerbase being spread too thin, with only a few players per faction.

Do players get to choose their starting faction? If so, is there anything to stop everyone from joining one faction and simply wiping out every other faction in the first five pages?

Speaking of wiping factions out: is there a way for one faction to win the game? By that I mean: how are you planning to decide who wins different encounters, and if one faction wins enough encounters, can they gain control of the island (and will that end the RPG)?

Eyru brings up a good point; how will your game end?

The Asylum's ending is planned out to a tee. We know how it's gonna unfold, but we're gonna let it simmer until it's ready to end. Once we're ready, we initiate the final quest and wa-POW! Game ends, they all live happily ever after (for the most part ;)) and we can move on. We don't really know how we'll get there, but once we are there, we can finish.

To constrast, I've seen quite a few RPs die without having an ending, which always saddens me.

I have a very clear rule; if it leaves me less than or as satisfied as the series finales of Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis (they end on Karzhing cliffhangers, FYI) then the ending is bad. The journey is important, but if you're not going anywhere, the journey becomes pointless.

Now, this early, WE don't need to know the ending, but YOU should. Even if it is a multiple-choice ending or, like DX:HR, simply pushing a button on the Ending-o-tron 9000, you have a set of ending conditions (for instance, ending once one faction has complete control over Zakaz or once the island is revealed to be a giant snapping turtle and it walks away) so you know when it's time to put on the brakes.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

If I may ask a question, are our RPGs nominated? Or do we just leave it in the dust, because I'm curious if mine has a green light or not.

Once you've fixed anything other people find, you need to submit it to the RPG Request Topic. There, if all five judges approve it, it can start running once there's a free slot.

VBWj75sh.png

Eyru brings up a good point; how will your game end?

The Asylum's ending is planned out to a tee. We know how it's gonna unfold, but we're gonna let it simmer until it's ready to end. Once we're ready, we initiate the final quest and wa-POW! Game ends, they all live happily ever after (for the most part ;)) and we can move on. We don't really know how we'll get there, but once we are there, we can finish.

To constrast, I've seen quite a few RPs die without having an ending, which always saddens me.

I have a very clear rule; if it leaves me less than or as satisfied as the series finales of Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis (they end on Karzhing cliffhangers, FYI) then the ending is bad. The journey is important, but if you're not going anywhere, the journey becomes pointless.

Now, this early, WE don't need to know the ending, but YOU should. Even if it is a multiple-choice ending or, like DX:HR, simply pushing a button on the Ending-o-tron 9000, you have a set of ending conditions (for instance, ending once one faction has complete control over Zakaz or once the island is revealed to be a giant snapping turtle and it walks away) so you know when it's time to put on the brakes.

Well currently Warlords of Zakaz doesn't have a fully planned story, which is why I'm still considering it to be a WIP. I have ideas for it and how it might end, but I'm not sure how I feel about "domination of the island" as an ending. I'd like there to be a little more to the story and I don't want the RPG to have a "winner".

As well as this there's the mentioned problem of balancing... which I'm also still thinking about. I don't know exactly how it'll end up being but I am taking considerations, like a player balance system, though that could limit the openness of the game. I need to find where I draw the limits for the influence of power especially, and NPC's. School's been really getting on my case lately so I don't have much time, but I'm very open to hear more suggestions.

Limiting the choice of playable races to Skakdi only is an interesting premise.

I'm curious as to the number of factions/warlords, and who's going to control them. Can players create their own faction, and does it automatically level up the character in charge to a Lord? Are all starting factions led by staff characters? And, of course, how many starting factions are there? The backstory makes it sound like there are many factions, but too many factions in an RPG will lead to the playerbase being spread too thin, with only a few players per faction.

Do players get to choose their starting faction? If so, is there anything to stop everyone from joining one faction and simply wiping out every other faction in the first five pages?

Speaking of wiping factions out: is there a way for one faction to win the game? By that I mean: how are you planning to decide who wins different encounters, and if one faction wins enough encounters, can they gain control of the island (and will that end the RPG)?

I'm thinking that there will be only a handful of starter factions/lords led by staff/experienced veterans at first, and then from there players can work up to overthrow lords and take control of already existing factions. Players might be able to start their own factions by working together and getting a character lots of support from other ones, but I don't know how well this would work in practice.

I mentioned the balancing in response to IcarusBen, but what you bring up is a very valid point that I'm still thinking about.

Yeah, but I really appreciate all these questions. It's made me think a little bit more realistically about this RPG and how it'll work, so I have a lot of tweaking and planning to do, so don't expect this to get dropped into the request topic ultra soon. I'd like to think this all through and make this concept into a fully polished and working RPG. If anyone is interested enough that they feel they'd like to directly help write it and become involved with making this work, the offer still stands!

Well currently Warlords of Zakaz doesn't have a fully planned story, which is why I'm still considering it to be a WIP. I have ideas for it and how it might end, but I'm not sure how I feel about "domination of the island" as an ending. I'd like there to be a little more to the story and I don't want the RPG to have a "winner".

Yeah. The risk with having an ending completely planned out is that you might end up railroading your players into following that one plan you have, instead of letting them do their own thing.

On the other hand, I'll use the example of Corpus Rahkshi, which is entirely sandbox-based with no planned ending. It gives the players a lot more freedom to come up with their own stories within the setting. 

• Upvote 3

I'd like to think this all through and make this concept into a fully polished and working RPG. If anyone is interested enough that they feel they'd like to directly help write it and become involved with making this work, the offer still stands!

If you want more in-depth critiquing or help writing/planning, I don't mind being a sounding board. Drop me a PM whenever you like.

Lets try this again, shall we? :P

Year60_000.png

GMed by Makuta Miras, VahkiDane and The UltimoScorp.

1.0: History/Current Events

The universe is dying.

When Makuta Teridax struck down Mata Nui 60,000 years ago, the fractures created by the crash flooded many domes, rendering only the two domes containing Metru Nui, Xia, Zakaz and Stelt inhabitable. Venturing into the flooded domes- which contain many strange creatures from Aqua Magna- means certain death. Access to these domes is blocked by closed Sea Gates.

Metru Nui has long since fallen into ruin, the sleeping Matoran inhabitants locked away beneath the earth whilst Rahi rampage across the surface. It is a land of strange monsters and perpetual night, but the archipelago triumvirate is still holding onto life in the remnants of a dying universe.

When the Great Spirit Robot crash-landed on Aqua Magna, an underwater volcanic eruption, combined with the shockwaves of power from Makuta Teridax's transformation tore a hole in the robot's hull, one which now leaves the bottom of the Silver Sea between the three islands open to the outside world. 
A century ago, the seabed shifted a little, and the robot’s shoulder dropped off a ridge, crushing a coral reef. 
With this breach opened to the outside world now, natives of Aqua Magna have begun entering the Matoran Universe- Kaiju.

Monstrous creatures, the smallest 50 bio tall, the beasts come swimming through the gap, laying waste to many of the islands' triumphs.

The first few beasts were exterminated by Xia's weapons, used on beasts contained by the few Toa left, but now the Kaiju, having wiped out the Toa due to them being the first line of defence, are becoming bigger, faster and stronger, meaning that the only weapons able to stop them...

Are the Jaegers.

Initially designed by the Vortixx, Jaegers were soon rolled out to the other islands with special adaptations to each species' capabilities and powers.
Expeditionary teams are also being sent out to try and find a way out of the Matoran Universe other than the breach. Now, it's your choice: Are you a Kaiju, fighting to prove yourself and gain territory, are you a Jaeger pilot, fighting to buy time for others to save your world, or are you an explorer, searching for the exit from your world?

2.0: Battles

If players aren’t otherwise occupied, every few weeks a staff-led Kaiju or Jaeger attack will be launched, with a goal unique to that attack most of the time; sometimes, if we run out of ideas, the purpose of the attack will be to just kill as many enemies as possible.
These attacks will be announced OOC to everyone and IC to the attacking force on the Saturday before the attack so that the relevant army has time to prepare IC and OOC. Feel free to launch attacks on your own between them.

3.0: Expeditions

One of the primary goals at the moment is to find a way out of the MU. Most expeditions are currently heading to Metru Nui to find a way out due to it having the light holes in the dome which the island’s rulers hypothesise to be easier to break through than the regular MU skin. PCs will be leading expeditions- you don’t need GM approval to go- but Dane, Ultimo and I will be posting to guide these quests along.

4.0: Locations

Xia:

The City:
Xia's islandwide city has somewhat dwindled now, keeping close to the skirts of the Mountain and away from the shores for fear of Kaiju. What is left of the city is bright and hopeful, shining steel buildings towering far up into the sky. The streets are soundly paved, and, all in all, Xia is a good place to live.

Xia Shatterdome:
Xia's Shatterdome is, like the city, a tall, elegant affair. Instead of the unpainted iron walls favoured by Stelt, the interior features bare but functional corridors and rooms with clean walls, ceilings and floors; to put it simply, the Xia Shatterdome is a wholesome place. The Jaeger bays are much like the other Shatterdomes, large, cavernous rooms with asphalt floors and Jaegers surrounded by networks of gantries. For reference, think of something like
this.

Stelt:

The City:
Where Xia is no longer dirty and polluted, Stelt has become even more so. Many of the arenas which used to characterise the island are gone now, replaced with Jaeger factories. Despite these new jobs, many of the population still turn to crime for a living, preying on unsuspecting beings, murdering and stealing from them. The sky is always gloomy, filled with smoke, but the cordon of Jaegers around the coastline facing into the wider ocean break through the dusk every now and then, their watchful gazes never relenting. As Stelt is attacked the most often by Kaiju, the entire island has been placed under martial law, intended to keep the population working despite the attacks. Half of all attacks are aimed at Stelt.

Stelt Shatterdome:

Stelt's Shatterdome is a drab, hardened building, built many bio down into the ground, intended to shield the Jaegers in their bays from Kaiju attacks. The walls are bare metal, rusted around the edges, and the floors have a tendency to be somewhat less than pleasant underfoot. The Jaegers bays are identical to Xia's, except with fewer gantries and more utilitarian Jaegers.

Zakaz:

The City:
The city on Zakaz, centred around the lake in the middle, is a low, concrete settlement, built quickly in the days after the civil war ended. The streets are unpaved, dusty roads, and what sewers there are are in a constant state of disrepair, blocked and rat-infested. The lake has a number of floating houses built out onto it, designed for easier access to the deposits of metal at its bottom that are used for Jaeger manufacture.

Zakaz Shatterdome:

Built on the southern shores, Zakaz' Shatterdome mimics the city, being built out of concrete and with little hygiene inside the structure. It has a notably smaller number of Jaegers than the other two islands, tantamount to the anger issues that plague the Skakdi, meaning that none are able to pilot a Jaeger without another to help. 

Metru Nui
In the aftermath of the Great Cataclysm, Metru Nui has become a deadened, silent place. The Matoran are locked in their pods beneath the Coliseum, and the lights in the dome have gone out. A small fracture in the skin of the GSR around its head has caused Aqua Magna seawater to begin trickling into the dome. Many of the low-lying areas in the dome have been flooded completely, and Archives creatures stalk the empty streets and prowl the dark waters. 

The Kaiju Hive
Created entirely out of a coral reef with holes burrowed through it by Kaiju, the Kaiju Hive is an impressive sight to behold, towering above other natural landforms in the Aqua Magnan ocean. The Kaiju inside are divided into ranks, with the weakest, lowest ranking Kaiju living at the uppermost borders of the extensive tunnel structure inside the reef, and the largest, most powerful Kaiju living deep within the structure. The waters around it are a too-bright blue, contaminated by Kaiju blood, making sure that any creatures powerful enough to face the Kaiju stay well away from the hive. There are many entrances to the hive, although they are more common near the top. At the very bottom of the formation there is just one, gaping entrance designed to facilitate the entrances and exits of the Kaiju Alpha, Sharky. The Kaiju Hive is about 40 kio (34 miles/54.8km) away from the crash site of the MU.

5.0: Jaegers

Jaegers almost make up the Matoran Universe inhabitants' entire army, the massive mechanical robots armed and armoured to fight Kaiju. There are three different MKs of Jaegers- MK I, MK II AND MK III. Permission to create MK IV Jaegers will be given out on a case-by-case basis as a reward for good playing. Weapons usually used are plasmacasters (Guns that launch plasma) and plasma-edged swords. Gun-style weapons become stronger as the MKs go up. The Vortixx have also been able to create giant Kanohi for the Jaegers, granting them some specialised powers. Skakdi are able to channel their elemental powers through their Jaegers, although the machinery required takes the space of the Jaeger’s Kanohi. The offensively oriented Kanohi can only be activated in short bursts due to power supply issues. Passive Kanohi can stay active for longer. The list of allowable Kanohi is as follows:

Active Kanohi:
Hau- temporarily (One minute) makes the Jaeger impervious to physical attacks.
Miru- allows the Jaeger one strong leap per charge.
Pakari- increases the Jaeger’s arm strength enough for one super punch per charge. 
Kakama- gives the Jaeger a short burst of speed.
Pehkui- halves the Jaeger’s size for a minute, although due to its mechanical nature it does not preserve the strength.
Crast- allows the deflection of attacks for thirty seconds per charge.

Passive Kanohi:
Arthron- gives the Jaeger basic sonar systems.
Sanok- increases the Jaeger’s aim when using ranged weapons.
Ruru- improves the Jaeger’s visual systems.
Calix- increases the Jaeger’s agility.
Volitak- reduces the Jaeger’s visibility and mutes any sounds it makes outside the hull.
Huna- turns the Jaeger invisible, although it can still be heard.

Custom Kanohi are allowed.

MK Is:
One pilot required.
Standard weaponry: Plasma-edged swords, rocket fists. 
MK Is are smaller, quick, melee-based fighters which often use weapons like plasma-edged swords. These make up the bulk of the archipelago's forces and are usually deployed in groups of three to try and overwhelm Kaiju.

MK IIs:
One pilot required.
Standard weaponry: Long-range plasmacasters, cryo cannon, plasma-edged daggers for backup.

MK IIs are ranged, larger, slower versions of MK Is which use weaponry such as plasmacasters, Cordak Blasters and the occasional Zamor Launcher. These are used as tactical support for MK Is a lot of the time.

MK IIIs:
Two pilots required: each shares with movement and combat duties.
Standard weaponry: Heavy plasmacasters for close combat, Cordak Blasters.

MK IIIs usually have a range of weaponry both melee and ranged, but they are slow, large and need two pilots so that the beings' minds aren't overwhelmed by the strain of piloting it. MK IIIs are deployed as commanders for attack forces, aiming to take down large, powerful Category 3 Kaiju using their large arsenals.

MK IVs:
Number of pilots required varies widely between units.
Standard weaponry: Again, varies between units.

MK IVs are rare, being expensive to construct but very valuable on the battlefield. Characteristics vary wildly between MK IV units, as they were designed to have modular sections in order to respond effectively to a number of different situations without needing to build Jaegers with completely new chassis. Some MK IVs’ characteristics include one example having a third arm, another being quadrupedal, and another having something akin to a large plasmacaster instead of a head.
NOTE: MK IVS MAY ONLY BE CREATED WITH EXPRESS PERMISSION FROM MYSELF, DANE OR ULTIMO.

By no means are you limited to these rough weapon specs, but if you have too many weapons on your Jaeger or ones that don't fit the MK, the profile won't be approved.

6.0: Drift technology

Drift technology is tech developed by the Vortixx that is able to link two or more beings’ minds together, creating a Kaita mind out of the personalities and memories. Drift technology was initially developed in order to make the use of MK III Jaegers feasible, but was eventually rolled out to the Skakdi as well, using it to encourage trust and empathy in them, which helped to end the wars on Zakaz. When characters are drifting, each player involved in the drift can only control one character that is drifting, for the sake of fairness. When the beings’ minds merge to form a Kaita mind, the players whose characters are involved need to decide among themselves what to do, and they share the responsibility of posting as the Kaita mind- for example, if my character was drifting with Dane’s, the two would form a Kaita mind with their combined personalities and memories, but we would have to decide between us what to do, and both of us could post as the Kaita mind if we decided who would be posting and what our linked characters would be doing.
Skakdi controlling Jaegers must drift when piloting, no matter what MK of Jaeger they are using.

7.0: Kaiju

Kaiju are giant, fully organic amphibious monsters from Aqua Magna. Kaiju blood, also known as Kaiju Blue, corrodes and rusts away many known materials, making it a potent weapon against the islands. It was this that prompted the development of plasma-based weapons, as they cauterise wounds instantly. Kaiju have near-unique adaptations which become more advanced as the categories increase. These adaptations include, but are not limited to:

Chameleon skin- does what it says on the packet. Beware, though, this doesn't give you full invisibility. 
Electric skin- gives an electric shock able to knock out a being when the skin is touched. This can mess up a Jaeger’s electrical systems temporarily.
Elemental Breath- the Kaiju is able to breath out a stream of one of six elements, Fire, Ice, Acid (Excess Kaiju Blue), Air, Water and Lightning. The lightning produced by Kaiju is not conducted by water.
EMP Bursts- possessed exclusively by Category 3 Kaiju and above, these bursts are able to disable or stun a Jaeger for a few minutes.
Elasticity- temporarily allows the Kaiju’s body to stretch like a rubber band.
Sonic booms- These Kaiju can produce a sonic boom through their mouths- think of it like a big shockwave.
Mental blasts- these blasts are pure psychic energy. They can be used to stun and, in extremely severe cases, kill Jaeger pilots.

Custom adaptations are allowed.

All Kaiju PCs start off at Category 1, with a non-offensive skin-based ability; this can be one of the two shown, or it can be custom. 

When one of the GMs decide that the Kaiju is good enough to move up a category, their player will be notified via PM. When a Kaiju moves up a category, they gain size and another adaptation; the ones available to Category 2s are Elemental Breath abilities and sonic booms. Those available to Category 3s are EMP bursts, Elasticity and Mental Blasts. Permission to create a Category 4 Kaiju will be given out at the GMs' discretion, and Category 3s are not allowed to level up to Category 4; however, the new character does receive three adaptations as well as a unique physiology. (I'm talking extra arms, wings, etc.)

Like with the Jaegers, I want to see lots of unique adaptations so that we can make this game as interesting as possible. 

8.0: Staff Characters

Miras:

Name: Arkie
Species: Ko-Matoran
Arkie is tall and wiry, with a cybernetic left arm. Her white and silver armour is scorched, scratched and dented from a lifetime of fighting Kaiju. Grim and determined, this Matoran has been in command of just about every Jaeger in the inhabited universe since she lost her arm.
Jaeger: Jatikko

Jaeger nickname: Jatikko
MK: V
Kanohi: Faxon (Works like normal)
Weaponry: Twin plasma cannons on the shoulders, capable of taking down a Category 5 Kaiju; Rocket fists; swords stored in the arms, able to cut through a Kaiju’s hide with ease; “The Godkiller”- a giant hammer.
Appearance: Jatikko is loosely built, its general structure being reminiscent of Arkie with long, powerful limbs. The Jaeger is painted white and blue.

Name: Inikhi
Species: Su-Skakdi 
Inikhi is the current ruler of Zakaz, elected from the warlords of the island. Although, like all Skakdi, he is quite violent, Inikhi prefers to survey situations from a distance, keeping out of most matters.

Dane:

Name: “Sharky”
Species: Kaiju
Category: 5
The Alpha of the Kaiju, Sharky has a combination of Ice and Lightning breath, which he seems to vary depending on the situation. His teeth also leak Kaiju blue when they bite. His hide can electrify at will, and he has amazing swimming capabilities. He is very strong. Sharky is VERY dominant, he doesn’t like his authority challenged. He's literally a way overgrown Knifehead. He is massive, and has claws extending from each of his arms on each side. He is a dark blue, with green energy patterns. His tail is covered with spikes. He has a large shark like fin on his back, which lights up when he uses his elemental breath, and he has long claws on each of his arms.

Name: Vofosu
Species: Vortixx
Powers/Gear: A plasma sword strapped to her thigh.
Personality: Determined and hardened, Vofosu isn’t like the stereotypical Vortixx, she is determined to win the war, for the better of all the Matoran Universe
Bio: Quickly rose to power after being one of the top fighters. She became the overall commander of the Vortixx forces, ruling over Xia. 
Appearance: She’s a Vortixx. Whaddaya think?

Ultimo:

Name: The Carpathian
Species: Vo-Matoran
Powers/Gear: Indoctrination. Allows him to subtly influence a person over a long period of time to his own way of thinking. The longer and closer the contact, the more complete this indoctrination becomes.
Personality: Charming, and suave, The Carpathian has a way with people that is hard to explain. Driven to his cause, and rather close-minded, he is generally unwilling to see other methods before his own.
Bio: Not much is known about the Carpathian before his rise to power over a group known as Arthaka. Only his closest advisers even know where he acquired his strange indoctrination power. After the fall of the Toa, he and his group became devoted not to killing Kaiju, but capturing and controlling them to fight other Kaiju. (if you wish to have an indoctrinated Kaiju, PM one of the GMs)
Jaeger: Illusive Trap

Jaeger Nickname: Illusive Trap
MK: V
Weaponry: Chest mounted Stasis field generator, able to contain even a CAT 5 Kaiju. Retractable electric batons, designed to incapacitate. Electrically charged fists. 
Appearance: Large and simply built, Trap has no paint, being a simple burnished nickel colour, with blue glowing lights.
Kanohi: Avsa (Allows Trap to drain energy from Kaiju, charging itself while tiring the Kaiju)

9.0: Profile Creation

Character profile:

Name: 
Species: Steltian Elite, Vortixx, Matoran, Kaiju, or Skakdi. Custom species are allowed, although it is up to the GMs to decide whether or not to approve them.
(if Kaiju)Category: You can only have up to Cat 3. Cat 4s are only allowed with express permission from a GM.
(if Kaiju)Adaptations: Look above for all the guidelines on that.
Powers/Gear: Your character’s possessions and powers. Please take note that rifles and such will be unapproved. Pistols are more approvable.
Personality: (Self explanatory)
Bio: Your character’s life story.
Appearance: (Self explanatory)
Jaeger:

Jaeger profile:

Jaeger nickname:
MK: Look above for guidelines on that. MKs I-III are allowable.
Kanohi: See above in 5.0.
Weaponry: Try not to get too OP with those. Pick your weapons accordingly with your class. 
Pilot(s): All the people who pilot this Jaeger.
Appearance: What does your Jaeger look like? All MK I-III Jaegers are humanoid.

RULES:

1. All BZP rules apply.
2. Use the tag “IC” at the beginning of a post to indicate writing that advances the story. Use “OOC” to indicate what doesn’t, like short player-to-player comments which aren’t long enough for the discussion topic.
3. No god-modding.
4. No bunnying- controlling other players’ characters- without their permission or, if it comes to it, the staff’s.
5. Metagaming is a big no-no. This means using information gathered as a player IC- an example could be, if you are in a fight, you look at the profile of the character you’re fighting, discover their weaknesses, and then have your character magically find out your opponent’s weaknesses. So don’t do it.
6. No insta-items- aka, items that appear out of thin air. You can’t have your Jaeger run out of rounds for its machine gun and then fire the machine gun again in the next post.
7. All profiles must be approved by a GM before the characters in them can be played.

Edited by Miras: Makuta of Awesome
  • Upvote 3

VBWj75sh.png

Are the previously created Kaiju/Jaegers allowed to "level up" to effectively be classified as a higher category via mutations/upgrades, or would a player have to roll up an entirely new character once they've obtained permission to play as one of them?

• Upvote 2

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

I'm not really in charge of much, but as I understand it, there is a long term plan. 

I could forsee being rewarded with higher classes of Kaiju and Jaegers for playing low class ones well.

As for the breach..... well, frankly, I'm not sure. Miras or Dane probably know more than I do.

Kaiju home is an unknown; seeing as it's a good way from the breach, the Jaegers have never found it. As for the actual breach, Jaegers have been through many times, so the MU inhabitants know that it's a hole in the robot. 

Are the previously created Kaiju/Jaegers allowed to "level up" to effectively be classified as a higher category via mutations/upgrades, or would a player have to roll up an entirely new character once they've obtained permission to play as one of them?

I'm very inclined to say no if you're talking about going Cat 1 to Cat 2 and such, but if you mean Cat 4s and MK IVs, then I don't see why not, although the Jaegers might suffer from not having the unique physiology that pre-built MK IVs have. (Example: Look at Crimson Typhoon in Pacific Rim canon and compare it to Gipsy Danger.) 

VBWj75sh.png