OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Huh, I only realized the rubber inserts on the friction extenders now that Aanchir pointed them out. Interesting.

Oh, by the way, those friction extenders are one of the pieces that everyone should be careful of. I put two together, and they're a pain to get apart. It's much easier with most parts that are larger, but I definitely don't recommend putting two together.

• Upvote 1

I now have a set in hand.

If I ever said anything at any point criticizing CCBS anywhere, I would like to take it back.

This system is kind of phenomenal. I especially like those "friction extenders." (I FINALLY understand some of the new jargon by having them in hand! Also, are they usable with old style Technic ball and sockets? Didn't want to try myself in case they were known to cause breaks...) Words only explain so much and I was generally pretty confused by a lot of talks about it due to my ignorance from not having purchased a set using the system. I was honestly scared at first by how tight the joints were, based on many of my most recent purchases being sets from 2008 and their infamous joint issues. But after playing with Tahu for a while, that fear went away. It's fantastic to play with. Although posing the arms can actually be a little bit of a chore thanks to that tightness, because it just wants to move the gears instead lol. Also, layering armor works really well and comes off pretty cool.

I really do wish that there were more Technic connections on a lot of the pieces, though. I recall this being a common complaint when the system first came out and maybe it still is. It was certainly one of my first thoughts (and I totally expect to just be told to accept the way it is now, but still how I feel after just a few hours of messing around...).

If I have any disappointment, it's the conflict in a box... And that's a huge personal one, since I totally understand the intent, applaud LEGO for it, and kids will probably love it. But the Skull Spider just became forgettable almost instantly. It's why I'll still be picking up the Lord of Skull Spiders and hoping that the summer sets include more bad guys. I want variety in my character alignment, but I also want there to be actual substantial sets for both. There's just not enough I could do with the spider.

Tahu himself is just great though.

~|ET|~

Edited by Ektris
  • Upvote 1

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

If I have any disappointment, it's the conflict in a box... And that's a huge personal one, since I totally understand the intent, applaud LEGO for it, and kids will probably love it. But the Skull Spider just became forgettable almost instantly. It's why I'll still be picking up the Lord of Skull Spiders and hoping that the summer sets include more bad guys. I want variety in my character alignment, but I also want there to be actual substantial sets for both. There's just not enough I could do with the spider.

Just going to point something out here. The Skull Spider may be a measly opponent for a Toa, but there's more to their inclusion than just that. The fact that Skull Spiders can mind control a character by attaching to the figure's face means that once you have TWO hero sets (two Toa, or two Protectors, or one of each), you can replace one of their masks with a Skull Spider to allow for a much more even confrontation. It's a nice way of compensating for the 13-set initial wave only having room for a single dedicated villain set, since ANY set can be made into a villain using only the set's default contents. I think that's mighty clever, myself.

• Upvote 8

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I noticed the new sets came in at work, I'll have to pick up -some- of them. Onua and Tahu look pretty boss.

I was wondering, is this a reboot of the series? Or does this somehow connect to the original timeline? The web series thing really seems like it could go either way.

It has been stated by Lego at NYCC that the new story is a reboot and is completely disconnected from the original timeline.

Ech...No thanks. Would rather have HF back, then see rebooted Toa Mata every few years.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

So I built the Protector of Earth last night and Lewa earlier today. And I will say that I glad I got both of them. :)

The Earth Protector has a great hand-held weapon. I was skeptical about his launcher being a part of his chest, but seeing it in person put me at ease about it. Plus, his color scheme flows really well together. (I really like his purple pieces. :) )

As for Lewa, even though he isn't favorite Toa out of the ones I have so far, he is still really cool. I really like his weapons as well. (They kind of remind me of Axonn's Ax.) His body design is also very good too. The only minor complaint I have about him is that I wish he came with a couple more green pieces. I was surprised at how few pieces he actually had in that color. (He only has six in total.) But that is just a minor complaint, only because green is one of my favorite colors and I wanted more pieces in it. I guess I'll get my fill if/when I get the Protector of Jungle. :P

I plan on returning to my local Target in hopes that they finally have Gali and Onua. If not, I'll probably get Pohatu and a couple other Protectors instead.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Question: Is anyone buying duplicates of the sets? I want to buy a second set of some of the Toa, so I keep one duplicate on a shelf, and the other in a box just in case they become very valuable a few years down the road. 

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I'd love to see Bionicle be a recurring thing, as long as it's given a decent break each time like it was between G1 and G2. Also don't want each reboot to be short. The current plan for this reboot is 3 years, but I'm hoping it'll be extended beyond that. Sure hope we get a movie on the big screen or even just a direct-to-store release, and hopefully in 3D. If done right, a movie would look fantastic in 3D. I'm sure there's plenty of you that either can't do 3D or just hate it for some reason and wouldn't want it in 3D, and that's fine as long as you aren't rude with your opinion. Sorry to get on a soapbox here, but I hate seeing comments like "keep 3D out of my movies!" because they're honestly selfish. It's an option. If you don't like it or can't do it, don't watch it in that format, but let those of us who enjoy it have it. It's hilarious how 3D-haters act like the movie being done in 3D offends them when they have the option of a 2D ticket/Blu-Ray...unless a theater doesn't offer 2D showings, in which case shame on them.

Question: Is anyone buying duplicates of the sets? I want to buy a second set of some of the Toa, so I keep one duplicate on a shelf, and the other in a box just in case they become very valuable a few years down the road.

Its a good idea. The Toa Mata sealed in their canisters can fetch over $100 in many cases. It all comes down to how popular this new line is, and what the demand is like in the future. I plan on getting maybe 3 or 4 of each mainly for MOCing, then possibly reselling later on.

You guys could just ignore me, too. That's cool.

Let's not be prickly, now. No need to start a flame-war (or some such hullabaloo.) 

There are two methods of image insertion. One is to use the Image button (located next to the Unlink button,) and insert the appropriate URL.

The other is to type "", followed by the URL, followed by another "," only with a "/" between the first bracket and the i.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

When I heard that BIONICLE will come back to the store shelves I was very excited. I hoped for the story after that what Mata Nui discovered on Bara Magna. A reboot is also a very nice idea especially for younger kids which never have seen our well known heroes before.

Yesterday was so cool, when I went to my local LEGO store I finally found the new sets on the store shelves. The first thing I didn't like was that now our heroes arrive in cardboard! I could only achieve to get 3 Toa, which are as back in 1999 Gali, Kopaka and "Mr. Muscles" Onua. :-)

The new Toa are very posable, with many more pieces then the original ones back in the time where Okoto was called Mata Nui. ;-)

Stickers: I hate them on my Zords of Power Rangers and now the curse continues to BIONICLE. Gali and Kopaka had printed chestplates, why couldn't Onua get one too? I was happy that I could manage to apply the stickers as properly as I could. The inner "Mr. Monk" is still looking at his chestplate if there is a small difference ^^

Finally to say: I'm really proud to be back on bzpower, even I don't know my old screen name ^^

• Upvote 1

I've got two sets so far- Kopaka and Protector of Earth.  Both of them are AMAZING sets. The gear function works well, and the trans limbs look great. The piece that goes on the shell is awesome, and it comes with four of them in white. The masks are both very good looking and definitely look like the Akaku. I really like the skull spider- having one is fun, but having lots is even more fun. They'll need to be sneaky to get Kopaka though. I can actually see how Kopaka is clumsy- he kept falling over when I tried to pose him, probably something with his ankles. I do have one complaint about the gears and that is they are floppier than I imagined. The extra gears do add enough friction to keep it from being totally floppy though. 

The Protector  of Earth is a GLORIOUS set. I was thinking the mask was the best piece of all the new parts- until I saw the trans purple limbs. I couldn't believe my eyes. The set works well with the central launcher, the drill and the little knives. I love this set and its parts.

Now I just have to buy myself in set form.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I will buy some duplicates eventually, but I won't keep them sealed and use the parts for Mocs instead.

Hail Denmark

cRtRl64.jpg?2

I don't own PoJ, but luckily his came in several sets before. In fact, I'm pretty sure PoS is the only one with them in a new color mix, though I could be wrong.

Huh... looks almost like a surfboard a Toa of water or lightning would use, now. Neat.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

I don't own PoJ, but luckily his came in several sets before. In fact, I'm pretty sure PoS is the only one with them in a new color mix, though I could be wrong.

You are correct. All the other color blends had been used in other sets prior to Bionicle's relaunch.

Edited by Lyichir

Its a good idea. The Toa Mata sealed in their canisters can fetch over $100 in many cases. It all comes down to how popular this new line is, and what the demand is like in the future. I plan on getting maybe 3 or 4 of each mainly for MOCing, then possibly reselling later on.

Hopefully I can keep the cardboard boxes in nice condition in the mean time.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Hopefully I can keep the cardboard boxes in nice condition in the mean time.

Just put them in a storage bin. I "preserved" my entire Lego collection in decent quality storage bins for 11 years during my dark ages.

I'm tempted to buy some of the sets (I of course am out of the age range now, granted I technically had been in 2009, but still got the sets), I've been getting hit right in the nostalgia with Bionicle coming back and the sets being the original Toa.  I was considering getting 4, but after seeing all of them, probably would just be getting Tahu and Kopaka (I just wish they weren't 20 dollars each).

"She lost in me her credence..."
"But what's normal anyway?"
"Don't walk away... don't walk away..."

I received the rest of the Toa and 5 Protectors for Dia de los Reyes today. Now I'm only missing Protector of Earth. I'm gonna go over brief thoughts on all of them:

Tahu - Even though his legs are kinda gappy in the back he still looks great. Love the way his swords can be positioned in the back and his blades give me major Lhikan vibes, which I love.

Protector of Fire - I love its build but I don't really like its proportions. The legs are okay but the arms feel lacking (elbows). Still, it's an awesome set.

Kopaka - Still my favorite. Still love his bulky lower legs, though I wish his upper legs weren't gappy. The stickers were thankfully easy to apply but I still eye over it to see any mistakes (and I didn't apply it symmetrically on one side. ARG!). His shield is held a little awkwardly but it looks awesome so I forgive that.

Protector of Ice - Even though the lack of elbows is a little distracting for me, its weapons more than make up for it. There's just something about it that I find really cool.

Onua - Beautiful but shoulder pads and lower chest y u silver? ;_; His build was brilliant, though. Also, PURPLE!

Pohatu - I heard he was pretty lackluster and, while the build wasn't very special, he looks fantastic. I was worried about his asymmetrical arms and now I love them (but I think the silver arm should be the throwing arm) and his boomerangs are as awesome as I thought they'd be.

Protector of Stone - Pretty cool but the way its upper leg's shells are positioned, it has to keep its legs apart. Not too big an issue, but I wish they'd been positioned to the side (I know I can change it if I wanna but I don't like modding my sets). Its weapon is kinda awkwardly held but it looks amazing enough to distract from that.

Lewa - Love this guy so much. His colors are fantastic, his weapons are gorgeous but the neck annoys me (mainly because he's a flyer, otherwise I wouldn't care much) and I think the axe heads should've been silver like Gali's. I would've rather they recolored Onua's shovels as warm gold for his shoulder pads instead of recoloring these as titanium gunmetal. Still, aesthetically I see them as if they were built improvised with an axe head from a titanium gunmetal axe and a normal blade, tied together by some sort of yellow adhesive/wood/whatever so I don't mind much.

Protector of Jungle - Really nicely built and THE CROSSBOW! It's beautiful. The colors are nice, too. Trans-green is really pretty.

Gali - Second favorite, right after Kopaka. Everything about her works so well. Her weapon is beautiful and she looks fantastic in mermaid form. That's also my favorite shade of blue for water sets, really hope we see it again in the future.

Protector of Water - Probably my favorite Protector so far (still need to have Protector of Earth in hand to rank them). Its color scheme is fantastic and the blaster setup is probably my favorite kind (strong contest with PoJ).

Lord of Skull Spiders - I was an advocate for LOSS since the reveal and I still stand by it. It looks fantastic and where it lacks in poseability it makes up for in sheer enjoyment playing around with it. I found its mask grabbing function works rather well, too.

I was very annoyed at the ball joints being exposed on Tahu as they looked tacky and created a large gap between his chest plate and his arms, so I moved his shoulder pads and flipped them around so that they were attached to the open ball joints and covered up all that exposed space. I feel it makes him look much more complete, what do you guys think?

yOA4fDX.jpg

I was very annoyed at the ball joints being exposed on Tahu as they looked tacky and created a large gap between his chest plate and his arms, so I moved his shoulder pads and flipped them around so that they were attached to the open ball joints and covered up all that exposed space. I feel it makes him look much more complete, what do you guys think?

I kind of disagree. Exposed ball joints hardly ever bother me, but the way you have it his shoulder armor no longer fits snugly over his forearms the way it did originally, which is part of what defines his silhouette and makes him look distinct from the other Toa. If the exposed ball joints really bother you there's a far easier way to mask them on Tahu—just stick a pair of Y-joints on them, pointed up, and they should effectively mask the small gap between his torso armor and gearbox.

I kind of disagree. Exposed ball joints hardly ever bother me, but the way you have it his shoulder armor no longer fits snugly over his forearms the way it did originally, which is part of what defines his silhouette and makes him look distinct from the other Toa. If the exposed ball joints really bother you there's a far easier way to mask them on Tahu—just stick a pair of Y-joints on them, pointed up, and they should effectively mask the small gap between his torso armor and gearbox.

I don't know what Y joints are, but I used the old black pieces used as hands in the original bionicle run instead (Don't know what those are called either) and that covered up the exposed ball joints enough to satisfy me. Thanks for the tip! Thats really the only major gripe I have about the sets, it just makes them feel incomplete to me. Besides that, tahu looks fantastic! Like others have mentioned I'm really impressed with the CCBS system after getting these new sets and am kind of feeling guilty for bashing Hero Factory all of these years.

Edited by hiddenderek

I don't know what Y joints are, but I used the old black pieces used as hands in the original bionicle run instead (Don't know what those are called either) and that covered up the exposed ball joints enough to satisfy me. Thanks for the tip! Thats really the only major gripe I have about the sets, it just makes them feel incomplete to me. Besides that, tahu looks fantastic! Like others have mentioned I'm really impressed with the CCBS system after getting these new sets and am kind of feeling guilty for bashing Hero Factory all of these years.

Yeah, that's what Y-joint means. It's the fan name for those socket pieces, on account of them being sort of shaped like a capital Y.