OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

A little late on the subject of switching teams, but having reread the whole Bionicle story not too long ago, I have to say the story team did a pretty decent job of juggling the main focus. The only time it really threw me off was in 2009 because we knew nobody except for Mata Nui. Honestly, I really liked the cast changes - it created pretty cool dynamics. The Toa Metru/Hordika arc really worked because it was told as a series of flashbacks that really gave depth to the history of that universe and seriously, the events that followed those years were enhanced greatly by exploring a different world through new yet previously introduced characters. As for 2006's cast change, it might have seemed a bit abrupt in the comics and online animations but I think it was done with a lot of care in the books. The Toa Nuva aren't exactly "ignored" and the I honestly don't see why people think the Inika's personalities were "completely different" other than Kongu (which was at least explained in 2007). Honestly, other than Jaller, these characters weren't exactly fleshed out in the past and I think the Inika/Mahri arc did a lot to make them more interesting.

Yes, the side-characters disappear after their respective years but that's to be expected. Having to include every set released in a year into the story is a big burden and I am more impressed that they were able to do so in a way that was not exactly intrusive to the main plot.

Moreover, I think as a story designed to sell toys it was pretty well-developed and consistent. When looking at Bionicle's story, you really have to take into consideration the business model of LEGO at the time as well the design and number of sets. G1 Bionicle did a good job, all things considered. 

-NotS

Yes, but we should have had more info. about what happened to the Toa Nuva with the instructions to set up the universe. Like, a whole book.

Edited by moamahrimatoro
  • Upvote 1

cringe

A little late on the subject of switching teams, but having reread the whole Bionicle story not too long ago, I have to say the story team did a pretty decent job of juggling the main focus. The only time it really threw me off was in 2009 because we knew nobody except for Mata Nui. Honestly, I really liked the cast changes - it created pretty cool dynamics. The Toa Metru/Hordika arc really worked because it was told as a series of flashbacks that really gave depth to the history of that universe and seriously, the events that followed those years were enhanced greatly by exploring a different world through new yet previously introduced characters. As for 2006's cast change, it might have seemed a bit abrupt in the comics and online animations but I think it was done with a lot of care in the books. The Toa Nuva aren't exactly "ignored" and the I honestly don't see why people think the Inika's personalities were "completely different" other than Kongu (which was at least explained in 2007). Honestly, other than Jaller, these characters weren't exactly fleshed out in the past and I think the Inika/Mahri arc did a lot to make them more interesting.

Yes, the side-characters disappear after their respective years but that's to be expected. Having to include every set released in a year into the story is a big burden and I am more impressed that they were able to do so in a way that was not exactly intrusive to the main plot.

Moreover, I think as a story designed to sell toys it was pretty well-developed and consistent. When looking at Bionicle's story, you really have to take into consideration the business model of LEGO at the time as well the design and number of sets. G1 Bionicle did a good job, all things considered. 

-NotS

Yes, but we should have had more info. about what happened to the Toa Nuva with the instructions to set up the universe. Like, a whole book.

To be fair, we did get that in the form of a serial (albeit 2 years later).

I'm thinking about what I should get next, I have 5 Toa (Kopaka, Onua, Gali, Tahu, & Lewa) and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get Pohatu or 2 Protectors. Or maybe Pohatu and one protector. Hmm. What's the best protector sets?

Pohatu and LoSS. Easy choice.

I dunno, all I've heard is negative stuff about the LoSS. Is he really worth the 15 bucks?

Yes, he is. Pohatu on the other hand...

Only get him if you're a completionist. I have him, and he is severely disappointing. He just doesn't pack as big of a punch as the other Toa; he's the same height (Approx) as Onua, but he doesn't have any of the bulk which characterises Onua and makes him, in my opinion, the best Toa set. Just don't get Pohatu if you aren't prepared to mod him. Heavily.

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

Hey the LoSS was one of my first sets. Actually was if you go by when the cashier scanned them in and it's listing on my receipt, lol. I am pleased very much with it, even though I may plan on Modding it out with an additional LoSS to make the much beefier version posted here a time back...

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Hey the LoSS was one of my first sets. Actually was if you go by when the cashier scanned them in and it's listing on my receipt, lol. I am pleased very much with it, even though I may plan on Modding it out with an additional LoSS to make the much beefier version posted here a time back...

Do you have a link to that? If its cool enough I might go ahead and buy two LoSS instead. I feel like he could be super awesome with a few modifications.

Gee, wonder who posted that...  ;)  ;)  ;)

I'm thinking about what I should get next, I have 5 Toa (Kopaka, Onua, Gali, Tahu, & Lewa) and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get Pohatu or 2 Protectors. Or maybe Pohatu and one protector. Hmm. What's the best protector sets?

Pohatu and LoSS. Easy choice.

I dunno, all I've heard is negative stuff about the LoSS. Is he really worth the 15 bucks?

LoSS is so worth it. The function is genius and can hold one of the Protectors, but could use some modding, like adding two legs to the back, in order to hold onto a Toa-sized figure without any trouble.

Pohatu is worth it for a few reasons:

1. 4-long silver shells
  2. Brown and trans-lime green/yellow (even though they come with PoS)
  3. Masks!
  4. Boomerangs are amazing, and a new tool for a Toa (that I can think of at the moment)

Btw, a few modifications can be viewed in my imgur and Youtube accounts.

Edited by Fordianl

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

Im certainly replacing Pohatu's tuning fork with one of the Air Katana when I buy him, though that's the only mod I plan to make to my 2015 Toa for at least a month.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Do you have a link to that? If its cool enough I might go ahead and buy two LoSS instead. I feel like he could be super awesome with a few modifications.

Yes I do... Here is the pictures for the Advanced Lord of Skull Spiders and a Video the Original Modder posted to help me build it in LDD.

Gee, wonder who posted that...  ;)  ;)  ;)

I have absolutely no idea who it was, just some random good semeritan... :P

*points to Fordianl* He's just being modest... he knows it was him...

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Only get him if you're a completionist. I have him, and he is severely disappointing. He just doesn't pack as big of a punch as the other Toa; he's the same height (Approx) as Onua, but he doesn't have any of the bulk which characterises Onua and makes him, in my opinion, the best Toa set. Just don't get Pohatu if you aren't prepared to mod him. Heavily.

I actually quite like the whole wastelander feel he has going on.

• Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Yeah, like a… a… bandit?

cringe

Well, that's not thinking about it from a business standpoint. The books didn't sell well, which is why we didn't get the planned 4 books for 2007 (Invasion was dropped off). The Toa Nuva blog was the best thing that could have happened in regards to their journey.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Well, that's not thinking about it from a business standpoint. The books didn't sell well, which is why we didn't get the planned 4 books for 2007 (Invasion was dropped off). The Toa Nuva blog was the best thing that could have happened in regards to their journey.

-NotS

What's Invasion?

cringe

What's Invasion?

It was essentially the original Bionicle Legends #7 and it depicted the Toa Inika's journey down the stone cord connecting Voya Nui to Mahri Nui. It would have described the Zyglak's relation to the Krana, had a fight scene with Vezon, and foreshadowed Makuta working with Matoro pretty early in the year. More about it on the bottom of this BS01 page

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

Just got the Lord of Skull Spiders. Great build, its basically not a contstraction set and is pretty much entirely technic outside of a few pieces of armor slapped on at the end. I understand why many people dont like him, he has virtually no posabllity and the printed chest piece for a head is an odd choice. Also his back is a little odd with the exposed technic beams. But overall he looks really great in my opinion. I love the color scheme. For me all that really matters is an interesting build and it looking good at the end. And at least to me, this is an awesome addition to the Bionicle line and I'm glad I decided to get it.

Edited by hiddenderek

I just got LoSS myself today! Needless to say, he's amazing. Having him in my own two hands, it baffles me that people considered him too small for a main villain—he easily dwarfs most of the Toa, even giving Onua a run for his money due to the overall length of his legs. Not every villain has to be Godzilla, especially a spider—plenty of people are scared of real spiders, after all, despite being larger than them by many orders of magnitude!

His function also works great. Early reviews seemed tainted by the early theory that it was meant to knock off masks, which turned out not to be the case—it's solely for squeezing the life out of prey. But it's amazingly effective at that—as stated above, he can even wrap himself convincingly around Onua.

Sometimes I worry that the Bionicle community is just too pedantic when it comes to reviewing sets, subjecting them to a level of scrutiny that would seem petty and cruel in, say, a MOC review. And the sets this affects the worst are invariably the most creative and experimental sets we get. I worry that that's at least a small part of why generic humanoids generally make up the bulk of constraction set designs. Even Lego can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, but it can often seem like reviewers can't divert their attention away from the broken shell for long enough to enjoy a hearty breakfast (that metaphor got away from me a little, but I think it still works).

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Just got the Lord of Skull Spiders. Great build, its basically not a contstraction set and is pretty much entirely technic outside of a few pieces of armor slapped on at the end. I understand why many people dont like him, he has virtually no posabllity and the printed chest piece for a head is an odd choice. Also his back is a little odd with the exposed technic beams. But overall he looks really great in my opinion. I love the color scheme. For me all that really matters is an interesting build and it looking good at the end. And at least to me, this is an awesome addition to the Bionicle line and I'm glad I decided to get it.

I'm telling you: LoSS is a 10/10 because his pecs are his face. That's how awesome LoSS is. :P

• Upvote 1

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I'm telling you: LoSS is a 10/10 because his pecs are his face. That's how awesome LoSS is. :P

That's what I told them! They didn't believe me!   :P

cringe

You need to have muscles on your eyeballs!

musclesonyoureyeballs.png

I've been considering LoSS as a purchase during the Hero Pack promotion, so it's good to see some positivity towards it.  I do tend to enjoy functions, so I imagine the grabbiness will keep me amused for a while.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

A thought.

People have been wanting to find some easy way to give Pohatu some feet add-ons for a while, but most of the cladding parts that can attach to the hero foot don't really work, since the angles don't match up at all. So yesterday I was just playing around with my parts, and I found Breez 2.0's helmet deal fits over the foot pretty perfectly. It's not the best match for what I was going for, but it looks like it could work. The only thing that holds it back is that I have no idea what one would put over that piece--the only piece that was really made to go over the 2.0 helmet things were the 2.0 helmets themselves, and not only do they look kind of weird on a foot, they don't come in any colors that would match Pohatu.

Also, I only have the one, so that's a bust anyway.

AXKP5KC.png

Get Pohatu if you already have the other 5 Toa. Then you'll have the entire team for added play value. That in and of itself is a plus. Save the money you'll spend on LoSS for a summer villain like Skull Grinder. 

If you're tight on cash, I recommend getting your favorite Toa +  Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder. That way you get a hero, a protector, and a villain all for around 40-50$

After building most of the new sets, (all save for 2 protectors), I must say that I really like CCBS. I never bought any of the hero factory sets so this is my first exposure to the system. I have a question for those who own both the 2015 Bionicle sets and hero factory sets. Minus the gears, how similar are the Bionicle sets to Hero Factory? Are any of the Hero Factory sets worth getting?

• Upvote 2

"It's got a great defense mechanism... you don't dare kill it..."

alien_isolation_6_0.jpg

Get Pohatu if you already have the other 5 Toa. Then you'll have the entire team for added play value. That in and of itself is a plus. Save the money you'll spend on LoSS for a summer villain like Skull Grinder. 

If you're tight on cash, I recommend getting your favorite Toa +  Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder. That way you get a hero, a protector, and a villain all for around 40-50$

Can't argue with that logic

After building most of the new sets, (all save for 2 protectors), I must say that I really like CCBS. I never bought any of the hero factory sets so this is my first exposure to the system. I have a question for those who own both the 2015 Bionicle sets and hero factory sets. Minus the gears, how similar are the Bionicle sets to Hero Factory? Are any of the Hero Factory sets worth getting?

I wouldn't say so. These toys are just made with different design philosophies in mind... or something like that. Yeah, they use the same system, but it's no different than Star Wars sets and Ninjago sets both being brick based, because... well, CCBS is essentially lego bricks made for action figures.

Witch Doctor's a pretty cool set, the only titan released in that line that truly feels titanic. Evo's XL machine has a cool gear function. not much else I'd recommend, though. These Toa blow hero Factory out of the water in pretty much every possible way.

You need to have muscles on your eyeballs!

musclesonyoureyeballs.png

I've been considering LoSS as a purchase during the Hero Pack promotion, so it's good to see some positivity towards it.  I do tend to enjoy functions, so I imagine the grabbiness will keep me amused for a while.

I think LoSS gets an unfairly bad rep.

Yeah, like a… a… bandit?

I'm thinking more like Jak 3's wastelanders.

Edited by NickonAquaMagna

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

I wouldn't say so. These toys are just made with different design philosophies in mind... or something like that. Yeah, they use the same system, but it's no different than Star Wars sets and Ninjago sets both being brick based, because... well, CCBS is essentially lego bricks made for action figures.

Witch Doctor's a pretty cool set, the only titan released in that line that truly feels titanic. Evo's XL machine has a cool gear function. not much else I'd recommend, though. These Toa blow hero Factory out of the water in pretty much every possible way.

Any HF sets you recommend for MOCing? (Minus the Witch Doctor)

alien_isolation_6_0.jpg

Hmmmmm... well, it really depends on what you want in a parts pack. Which colors, which sizes, how many, that sort of thing. In that case, you can always find plenty of them on bricklink. Are you talking about revamps?

Other than the gear functions (which quite honestly give the Bionicle sets an unfair advantage as far as making comparisons goes....) they really aren't that different. They may go for different aesthetics in some ways, but since they're mostly humanoids and using for the most part the exact same pieces, there's not a huge difference. (especially if, again, we take the gearboxes out of the equation)

But yes, there's definitely a number of Hero Factory sets that are more than worth getting. The Breakout wave in 2012 in particular had some really standout sets. Toxic Reapa, Thornraxx and Rocka come to mind. Savage Planet's Waspix was also pretty great....Not too sure about the last couple of years though, didn't get much of those.

AXKP5KC.png

Hmmmmm... well, it really depends on what you want in a parts pack. Which colors, which sizes, how many, that sort of thing. In that case, you can always find plenty of them on bricklink. Are you talking about revamps?

Just general CCBS parts for an average MOC, not really revamps. I do think I'll check out Bricklink though. :)

alien_isolation_6_0.jpg