OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Finally got Gali, but not just one, but two. She's really popular, and I could barely find the set. When I did, there were only four left in the store. So, I decided to get two Gali sets and another LoSS to give my current one eight legs, cover up some open ball joints, and overall make it look more menacing than it actually is.

I love Gali's design. I think it makes the set look a lot more female than past iterations, but this is also my first Gali set ever, so it may just be the fact that she is, always was, and always will be one of my favorite characters from Bionicle.  

It's a good thing I got all the sets now, and I am done trying to get any more, because I just started school again.  :bigsmile:

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I think it's because the story team can't decide on the names. I think the naming for the protectors went like

• Let's name them after the old Turaga!
    • No, let's name them after the Toa Mahri!
    • Forget that, they should be named for the Tohunga!
    • You're all morons. They should be named after the Av-Matoran!
    • Okay. I'm your boss, we'll call them the Protectors and let the fans choose their own intrepretation. Okay? There. Done. Ship it.
    • I guess the Summer 2015 sets go the same way.

•  

I seriously doubt that has anything to do with it. There's a clear and obvious reason why many of the set names are just actual English descriptions—because a made-up fantasy name doesn't convey nearly as much information. I don't know if Bionicle fans just don't realize it, but Bionicle's use of invented terminology for almost everything was often a source of ridicule. Lots of people, including both adults and children, had trouble understanding the difference between "Keelerak" or "Oohnorak", or why it was important. This extended even to fans—many former fans I've met as an adult, when asked what their favorite set was, will say "the red one", or something similar, because for someone who wasn't closely following the story, a made-up fantasy name with little basis in real language is not something worth memorizing or keeping track of. And in the original Bionicle, EVERY set was named like that. A year's worth of sets would have maybe 15 or more uniquely named characters, and for a story that cycled through characters every year that added up to a LOT of information to keep track of.

• Also, let's not forget to have Gali voiced by the same guy doing all the other voices and hire an 8 year old to animate the new videos.
    • The new sets sound cool. I am really looking forwards to the Mask Maker set.

Unless you were animating at that level at the age of 8, I don't think you're one to talk. Animation isn't easy even with Flash or similar animation tools. Add in the elaborately painted backdrops, storyboarding, character design, and so forth, and you end up with something that probably took more time, effort, and manpower than even the CGI adverts of previous years.

The animations look like ###### and having the same voice actor for all characters is beyond annoying. LEGO has the means to give each of them distinct voices so they all don't sound the same and yet they hire one guy to do them all. This in itself isn't bad, but the voice actor uses terrible accents for some characters and different pitches for others. It's flimsy and lazy. Same with the animation. I don't care how long it takes. Bad animation is bad. CGI would have been so much better, but LEGO had to be cheap.

Let's make the Toa look like our new 'awesome' Mixels.

It's okay to be wrong.

That said, they did not hire one guy to do all the voices, they hired one guy to narrate, which while similar, is not the same thing. That's very common in more mythological style stories, bit to mention the way 99% of all audio books are done.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not wrong then, right?

First of all, the videos are supposed to be introductions for the characters so kids can get to know them and get a feel for who they are. Gali is a female character, and yet they gave her a male voice for no good reason whatsoever. There is no current Bionicle audiobook, and it really wasn't that hard to get some no name woman to voice her if only for a few seconds.

Except you are wrong. If you had half a clue about good animation you'd see that the animation style has a lot of merit. It's expressive and bold. The characters are all distinctive, with differing silhouettes. The backgrounds are packed with rich detail. All of these are hallmarks of good animation.

The animations may not be the best of the best or blaze new trails for the animation industry, but to say that they "look like (whatever expletive you intended to use)" or that they look like they were done by an eight-year-old is grossly ignorant, offensive, and, I dare say, idiotic.

As for the narrator... it would have been no burden AT ALL to hire some no-name woman to voice Gali, since Lego could just use Advance's existing staff like they did for the Hero Factory FM podcast. The ease of that should be your first clue that Lego knew EXACTLY what they were doing when they decided to use a single narrator. You might not like that; that's fine. But personally, I much prefer it to the terrible voice-switching of the classic Bionicle podcasts, where every male character shared a voice and so did every female character. At least the new narrator is TRYING to make the voices sound different, with different intonations, inflections, and affected accents for each of the main heroes.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Ok I really need some help, was building Onua and accidentally attached 2 of those connector pieces (the ones that attach to the legs and torso) and cannot get them apart, is there anyway to get those two short pieces apart?  All of my attempts have only ended in failure and rage.

Edited by Dimension Lord

"She lost in me her credence..."
"But what's normal anyway?"
"Don't walk away... don't walk away..."

I dont get how anyone can really be wrong by expressing their own interpretation of how he/she sees something...

I'll tell you how. By using hyperbole that suggests that a skilled artisan (industrial designer, animator, etc.) is less talented than an untrained 8-year-old. That kind of language is an insult to anyone who understands the years of experience and massive workload that creative professionals have to endure to get to where they are.

If you went out to a fancy restaurant and said you didn't like the food, you'd qualify as a dissatisfied customer, and probably get a refund and/or an apology. If you went there and said that your eight-year-old could do better, you'd qualify as a moron and might even be denied further service.

• Upvote 10

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

You're right about everything except the example you brought up. There are eight-year-olds who can cook better than those fancy-schmacy chefs.

Still, animation is certainly not cooking, and I applaud the production team who works with Bionicle.

• Upvote 3

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Well, DeeVee, how do you explain the inexplicable masculine Gali?

the same way you explain guys like me. I'm a guy, but I have feminine facial structure and stuff. ^__-

...Really though, it's the way they tell the story. The story is being told by one person, so maybe it's a character looking back on the story after the fact.

Well how old are you? Sometimes males do have a slightly feminine build and face shape until a certain age.

You can not like a thing. No-one is saying you absolutely have to like it.

There's no need to be completely indignant while doing it though.

Yeah, if you dislike something, express that in a tasteful - or even a humorous - manner.

• Upvote 1

If it looks like this from the side:

|U|

|O|

|U|

|O|

then push the bottom one to one of the sides that it doesn't normally go until it comes off.

Update: Still stuck together, did not use said pieces for arm connections.

I hated building Onua the most of the Toa so far, so much so I've decided to save the others I have to build until tomorrow.

Total unused pieces, 7.

3 spare pieces.

Connectors stuck together = 2

The right arm connection with the ball joint attacher = 2 (ironically I used a 2001 mata gear to substitute the ball joint).

First modifications of any of the 2015 sets.

Oh well, at least I'll have a more straightforward build with the rest I have to build, even if the directions are as unclear as some of the instructions for Onua were.

Edited by Dimension Lord

the same way you explain guys like me. I'm a guy, but I have feminine facial structure and stuff. ^__-

...Really though, it's the way they tell the story. The story is being told by one person, so maybe it's a character looking back on the story after the fact.

Well how old are you? Sometimes males do have a slightly feminine build and face shape until a certain age.

Yeah, if you dislike something, express that in a tasteful - or even a humorous - manner.

I'm 26. I was mistaken for a girl so often that i leave some facial hair.

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

In terms of personal taste, yes. I think the issue is that Blueblur21 made his/her comments on the animations as though they were undeniable facts, which is closer to right-or-wrong territory.

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 2

In terms of personal taste, yes. think the issue is that Blueblur21 made his/her comments on the animations as though they were undeniable facts, which is closer to right-or-wrong territory.

My post was more or less directed at Blueblur.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I dont get how anyone can really be wrong by expressing their own interpretation of how he/she sees something...

I'll tell you how. By using hyperbole that suggests that a skilled artisan (industrial designer, animator, etc.) is less talented than an untrained 8-year-old. That kind of language is an insult to anyone who understands the years of experience and massive workload that creative professionals have to endure to get to where they are.

If you went out to a fancy restaurant and said you didn't like the food, you'd qualify as a dissatisfied customer, and probably get a refund and/or an apology. If you went there and said that your eight-year-old could do better, you'd qualify as a moron and might even be denied further service.

Oh, okay. So I'm supposed to praise these 'artists' as if they were some supernatural creators and my feeble mortal mind could not comprehend the machinations of their complicated creations? 

Yeah, no. I don't like it. Egoraptor could do a far better job than these 'artisans'. It's awfully simplistic and does nothing to prove otherwise. The writing is also terrible. I've seen fanfiction that's better written.

In terms of personal taste, yes. think the issue is that Blueblur21 made his/her comments on the animations as though they were undeniable facts, which is closer to right-or-wrong territory.

If people can't tell fact from opinion then that's their own problem. 

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Oh, okay. So I'm supposed to praise these 'artists' as if they were some supernatural creators and my feeble mortal mind could not comprehend the machinations of their complicated creations? 

Now you're just being ridiculous. People don't agree with your opinion, alright? Stop getting so up in arms about it.

• Upvote 2

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Now you're just being ridiculous. People don't agree with your opinion, alright? Stop getting so up in arms about it.

I agree with him. Bring it.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Did I ever WANT anybody to agree/disagree with me? 

Nope.

I'm simply expressing my opinions. You can choose to read them or ignore them.

EDIT: I'm not trying to get up in arms about anything. If that's what you want to take away from my statements that's your choice. 

Edited by Blueblur21

Lara Croft

Difference of opinion isn't the issue here, it's the complete dismissal of the work put into something just because you don't like it.

The fact that you don't like something doesn't mean the people who made it are lazy.  Funnily enough, "lazy" is probably the laziest criticism you can give.

• Upvote 9

OpAXNpl.jpg

In terms of personal taste, yes. I think the issue is that Blueblur21 made his/her comments on the animations as though they were undeniable facts, which is closer to right-or-wrong territory.

If people can't tell fact from opinion then that's their own problem. 

All it would take is a simple "I think" at the start of your post and they wouldn't need to.

• Upvote 4

Anyways...I finally got my hands on Teridax! I've been wanting this set for years now, and I finally got it! The Kraahkan is a lot more bigger/heftier than I thought--It's pretty funny that after all these years, Teridax is STILL taller than 2015's Tahu. Though my only complaints about the set is all the open balljoints/pins, and how his gear function is pretty loose, causing him to move to one side on his own.

Not exactly Bio2015-related, but Bonkles nonetheless.  :ahhh:

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Anyways...I finally got my hands on Teridax! I've been wanting this set for years now, and I finally got it! The Kraahkan is a lot more bigger/heftier than I thought--It's pretty funny that after all these years, Teridax is STILL taller than 2015's Tahu. Though my only complaints about the set is all the open balljoints/pins, and how his gear function is pretty loose, causing him to move to one side on his own.

Not exactly Bio2015-related, but Bonkles nonetheless.  :ahhh:

Just reading this caused me to realize some neat things for making a 2015 style Makuta Teridax moc. I have some great ideas. Thank you

The style may look "simple", but the process of developing and outputting the animations you see is far from a simple process. It looks coherent to itself, and the animation is well done, with no inconsistencies or technical errors that I've caught yet. An 8 year old would have a much easier time replicating the animations of MNOG than these new ones. I'm studying in the animation industry and I've been doing this kinda "simple" Flash animation since I hit puberty. Trust me, it's a lot more complicated than it looks. You may not like the style or the cheesy writing/atmosphere, but it's not a fault of the animations, it's their goal. They didn't fail to make something incredible, they succeeded in executing their vision for a fun, quick visual and narrative style so they can pop out more episodes quicker and look fairly unique compared to the cartoons currently out there. 

There's valid criticism, and there's just mean comments. Like was said above, "I think--" is a much nicer way of prefacing your comments and doesn't come across as personal insult to the artists involved. Personally, I'm not a fan of the style either, but I'm waiting for it to grow on me.

• Upvote 11

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I'm pretty indifferent on the animations. I think they're okay, but not particularly good or bad.

I would like them better if they used a larger variety of shots. I know I'm being nit-picky here, since there is only some repetition. I mean, It's not nearly as bad as the 2006 CGI Exo-Force videos, but it's still there. 

Other than that, they're swell. 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

The style may look "simple", but the process of developing and outputting the animations you see is far from a simple process. It looks coherent to itself, and the animation is well done, with no inconsistencies or technical errors that I've caught yet. An 8 year old would have a much easier time replicating the animations of MNOG than these new ones. I'm studying in the animation industry and I've been doing this kinda "simple" Flash animation since I hit puberty. Trust me, it's a lot more complicated than it looks. You may not like the style or the cheesy writing/atmosphere, but it's not a fault of the animations, it's their goal. They didn't fail to make something incredible, they succeeded in executing their vision for a fun, quick visual and narrative style so they can pop out more episodes quicker and look fairly unique compared to the cartoons currently out there. 

There's valid criticism, and there's just mean comments. Like was said above, "I think--" is a much nicer way of prefacing your comments and doesn't come across as personal insult to the artists involved. Personally, I'm not a fan of the style either, but I'm waiting for it to grow on me.

I THINK I don't care about how 'comlpex' their animation style is. I THINK it is extremely shoddy, making the heroes of my childhood look like bootleg Autobots and giving them the personalities of cardboard.

And by the way, having the same boring and eye-scarring art style as those 'Mixels' is not doing them any favors. I THINK they should go for something darker and more set like.

Is everybody happy now? Good. I'll be on Smash 3DS if anyone needs me.

• Upvote 1

Lara Croft

|U|

|O|

|U|

|O|

then push the bottom one to one of the sides that it doesn't normally go until it comes off.

I hated building Onua the most of the Toa so far, so much so I've decided to save the others I have to build until tomorrow.

Total unused pieces, 7.

3 spare pieces.

The right arm connection with the ball joint attacher = 2 (ironically I used a 2001 mata gear to substitute the ball joint).

Oh well, at least I'll have a more straightforward build with the rest I have to build, even if the directions are as unclear as some of the instructions for Onua were.

I got some of those stuck together due to an MoC, got them apart by using gloves. I'd say anything that gives you stronger grip should help you pry them apart. Good luck!

Also, out of curiosity, what parts of Onua did you find difficult with the instructions?

I THINK I don't care about how 'comlpex' their animation style is. I THINK it is extremely shoddy, making the heroes of my childhood look like bootleg Autobots and giving them the personalities of cardboard.

I don't see much shoddiness; every line is intentionally-placed and clean. I also don't understand how these personalities are any more like cardboard than the originals, which were "angry a lot", "carefree", "calm", "loner", "bro", and "strong". (Onua's is an oversimplification, I guess, but the others are spot-on.)

And by the way, having the same boring and eye-scarring art style as those 'Mixels' is not doing them any favors. I THINK they should go for something darker and more set like.

It's not the same style, anymore than Dexter's Lab is the same style as Samurai Jack. The differences in style are numerous, the most obvious of which being the more realistic proportions and the lack of bulging eyes in Bionicle. Why does everyone insist on calling it the same style just because both are vivid and tween-based?

I think that a darker art style would be stupid for a children's toyline with no pretensions of dark grittiness, and I think this style represents the sets fantastically, giving the same personality-filled silhouettes and having most of the same details, merely simplified for both visual cohesiveness and readability on a small screen, since we live in an increasingly digital age where people have small screens everywhere.

• Upvote 6

I'm 19...you're old.

Is everybody happy now? Good. I'll be on Smash 3DS if anyone needs me.

Darker? Perhaps a tiny bit darker would be nice, but how dark are you wanting it to be? We don't want Ghost Rider or Batman levels of dark! XD

Well... y'all have been having fun here.

As I took apart and rebuild all my toa today, I remembered another reason as to why I love Lego so much. Material products like toys give very short excitement, and then eventually fade into your mind and you lose the interest in them. But with Lego you can keep rebuilding and changing your sets, turning it into something else, which keeps refueling your excitement for it. That's especially why I love MOCing. I love finding solutions to problems to get the look I want! It's like a super fun puzzle, and makes one feel accomplished!

• Upvote 3

|U|

|O|

|U|

|O|

Total unused pieces, 7.

3 spare pieces.

I got some of those stuck together due to an MoC, got them apart by using gloves. I'd say anything that gives you stronger grip should help you pry them apart. Good luck!

Also, out of curiosity, what parts of Onua did you find difficult with the instructions?

The shoulder type construction that the arms attach to, particularly the right arm which is the part I resdeisgned on my own to actually work with the gear system as the way I built it according to how I interpreted the instructions to be caused the gear to get stuck and not work.  The coloring in general in the instructions I felt was inaccurate and the way things attached was often ambiguous.

Edited by Dimension Lord

I'm 19...you're old.

I am old in number, but I feel younger. I have fun with Lego stuff, videogames, all that stuff. I am even a writer. I seem to mentally age slowly because of some problems i had when I was younger.

Question to anyone with Tahu, Kopaka, or their large sword pieces: does it seem like there's a noticeable "gap" between the interlocking teeth when the halts are connected by one set of axles vs. the other?  On mine it seems like connecting them by the two end ones forces the teeth slightly apart, while connecting them by the ones in the middle keeps them together (and pulls the end axles noticeably closer together).  The axles themselves seem to be aligned just fine, but maybe there's an issue with the shape that has the blades themselves colliding too soon.  Or maybe it was intentional, to have a decently tight grip between the pieces.  Whatever the reason, it's been sort of nagging at me for a while.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg