OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Yay now we can finally talk about this on bzp! I look forward to these skull villains and I am hoping Skull Slicer is really cool because four arms sound awesome. The new torn cloth armor pieces sound quite interesting. I was hoping we would get the Chima armor piece, perhaps one of the sets like the 'mask maker' has it. A lot of people have speculated that the mask maker is Ekimu but then why not say Ekimu instead of mask maker? I like sound of these villians but I am still really frustrated at the fact that none of them have actual names, I mean is it really that hard to make up a name for a character as opposed to a simple title/description of what he/she does!? Is that too much to ask????? It is acceptable for a sample of an army as the normal canister sets would be but good grief not one of the summer wave sets has a name.  :burnmad:  :censored:  :bigeek:  :dead:  rant_over.exe virus=very yes......sigh..... that aside, I like these darker type enemies and it appears Makuta may now posses an army of the dead which is so cool! I hope that the mask maker vs skull grinder is really Ekimu vs Makuta but regardless it sounds promising, if not a missed opportunity.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I wonder if those cloth-like pieces are really variations of the capes that only appeared in 3(?) contraction sets so far. Like little attachments.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I think it's because the story team can't decide on the names. I think the naming for the protectors went like

• Let's name them after the old Turaga!
  • No, let's name them after the Toa Mahri!
  • Forget that, they should be named for the Tohunga!
  • You're all morons. They should be named after the Av-Matoran!
  • Okay. I'm your boss, we'll call them the Protectors and let the fans choose their own intrepretation. Okay? There. Done. Ship it.

I guess the Summer 2015 sets go the same way.

• Also, let's not forget to have Gali voiced by the same guy doing all the other voices and hire an 8 year old to animate the new videos.

The new sets sound cool. I am really looking forwards to the Mask Maker set. 

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

I think it's because the story team can't decide on the names. I think the naming for the protectors went like

• Okay. I'm your boss, we'll call them the Protectors and let the fans choose their own intrepretation. Okay? There. Done. Ship it.

I guess the Summer 2015 sets go the same way.

I seriously doubt that has anything to do with it. There's a clear and obvious reason why many of the set names are just actual English descriptions—because a made-up fantasy name doesn't convey nearly as much information. I don't know if Bionicle fans just don't realize it, but Bionicle's use of invented terminology for almost everything was often a source of ridicule. Lots of people, including both adults and children, had trouble understanding the difference between "Keelerak" or "Oohnorak", or why it was important. This extended even to fans—many former fans I've met as an adult, when asked what their favorite set was, will say "the red one", or something similar, because for someone who wasn't closely following the story, a made-up fantasy name with little basis in real language is not something worth memorizing or keeping track of. And in the original Bionicle, EVERY set was named like that. A year's worth of sets would have maybe 15 or more uniquely named characters, and for a story that cycled through characters every year that added up to a LOT of information to keep track of.

• Also, let's not forget to have Gali voiced by the same guy doing all the other voices and hire an 8 year old to animate the new videos.

Unless you were animating at that level at the age of 8, I don't think you're one to talk. Animation isn't easy even with Flash or similar animation tools. Add in the elaborately painted backdrops, storyboarding, character design, and so forth, and you end up with something that probably took more time, effort, and manpower than even the CGI adverts of previous years.

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• I guess the Summer 2015 sets go the same way.

I seriously doubt that has anything to do with it. There's a clear and obvious reason why many of the set names are just actual English descriptions—because a made-up fantasy name doesn't convey nearly as much information. I don't know if Bionicle fans just don't realize it, but Bionicle's use of invented terminology for almost everything was often a source of ridicule. Lots of people, including both adults and children, had trouble understanding the difference between "Keelerak" or "Oohnorak", or why it was important. This extended even to fans—many former fans I've met as an adult, when asked what their favorite set was, will say "the red one", or something similar, because for someone who wasn't closely following the story, a made-up fantasy name with little basis in real language is not something worth memorizing or keeping track of. And in the original Bionicle, EVERY set was named like that. A year's worth of sets would have maybe 15 or more uniquely named characters, and for a story that cycled through characters every year that added up to a LOT of information to keep track of.

I agree having six particular names for six particular types of a mass of enemies was excessive, especially when those enemies frequently only appeared for half a year then never again. The movies tried to address this by only referring to them by the overall name, like Rahkshi or Vahki.

But when it comes to actual characters with personalities, an individual name is surely not an unreasonable thing to expect. Notice that the second movie doesn't stop at just Dark Hunters; they're also named as Nidhiki and Krekka.

Say when we get images from Nuremberg are we allowed to talk about them or do they count as leaks? 

Toy fairs are official release events, so unless photography or sharing of information is prohibited (or there's some other restriction) they're legit and fine to talk about.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

Say when we get images from Nuremberg are we allowed to talk about them or do they count as leaks? 

I was wondering this too. Since Lego allowed people the see them, but didn't allow people to take pics, and people post those pics does that count as 'leaks'?

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Toy fairs are official release events, so unless photography or sharing of information is prohibited (or there's some other restriction) they're legit and fine to talk about.

Great! I was worried I'd have to hold back my opinions on the sets till August. 

It's time to move on.

I agree having six particular names for six particular types of a mass of enemies was excessive, especially when those enemies frequently only appeared for half a year then never again. The movies tried to address this by only referring to them by the overall name, like Rahkshi or Vahki.

But when it comes to actual characters with personalities, an individual name is surely not an unreasonable thing to expect. Notice that the second movie doesn't stop at just Dark Hunters; they're also named as Nidhiki and Krekka.

Once again it's perfectly acceptable for army fodder, I mean nobody cares if a Stormtrooper's name is Bob, Fred or Joe, it's one Stormtrooper in a massive army of them, but in that same regard we have individual main characters with names. We don't call Grand Moff Tarkin "the general guy" or Darth Vader "metal face". If skull grinder is an individual, he should have an actual name, if he is just a heavy unit in the skull army I'm totally cool with that but main characters should have names, army fodder just needs an over-arching title. If the mask maker is in fact Ekimu they should have said so, if not then perhaps it is just a generic mask maker from one of the villages. I understand making it simpler for people to understand but if someone doesn't care about names, regardless of, for example, labeling Tahu by his name or just 'Master of Fire', those people will still refer to it as 'the red one' regardless of what is put on the package.

Edited by ToaDraco

"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

If you ask me, I don't think this was nearly as much of a problem when the set names were mainly derivative of Maori and, more commonly understood, Finnish. Even if someone didn't speak either of these languages, at least they were simple and felt like actual words most of the time, because, well, they were. Tahu, Gali, Midak, Kopeke, so on. The problem with making up fantasy names is that it's SOOOOO HARD to make them sound like there's any sense behind them. How many forgettable, run of the mill fantasy books are there out there filled with obviously silly names that don't mean anything?

Tolkien was able to avoid this splendidly. Being a linguist, he understood that each language has certain patterns to it, and that if you hear enough words in that specific language, you get a good feel for it and can kind of guess if a new word is from that language or not. He saw how distinct each language is. Spanish, German, Japanese, they all sound very different. And, remarkably, he managed to give Middle Earth's languages this kind of feel, too. Dwarf Names don't sound quite like Elf names. Lots of Ks and Gs and Bs and... Rs. Lots of "eee" and "aaaaa" Elf names have softer sounds, Ls, "ehs" "ohs" and whatnot. And Orcish is probably the most distinct of all. Lots of brutal, guteral sounds that are just kind of uncomfortable to say.

The consistency of Bionicle's "language" in the first coupla' years worked pretty well. Even now, they can still use the Toa's iconic names because, being from an actual language, they're relatively easy to remember and they roll off the tongue very naturally. A lot of the later names, though... yeah, aside from some nifty latin names, they were just making up silly noises that eventually made Bionicle blend into all the other mindless fantasy shlock in that particular aspect.

I wanted to avoid this like the plague in Nova Orbis, so that's why most of the new characters' and creatures' names are derivative of Latin, Finish and even scants of Hebrew, French, and of course, Maori. As long as it isn't arbitrary, confusing, made up noise, it should be okay.

• Upvote 2

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

They probably couldn't get a gold Protector mask yet, so they just stuck on the PoW's mask instead. The report also said that some of the pieces looked spray painted, so, yeah. Perhaps the Mask Maker will get the MoC, but they haven't made one yet.

At least it's better than Gen1 where we never even got a set of Artakha despite him being fairly important.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I'm wondering if Skull Slicer will look vaguely similar to General Grievous structurally. I'd very happy with that. :P

A hybrid between Nocturn and Grievous?   :D

I would love for Skull Slicer, or any of them for that matter, to be a hybrid like that. :)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Just me, browsing Youtube videos

"Oh, an ad? Oh well."

On the Mythical Island of Okoto

"EXCUSE ME?!"

So, yeah, Bionicle commercials on Youtube now.

Youtube uses targeted ads based on your search history, browsing habits and location.

• Upvote 4

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

"Oh, an ad? Oh well."

"EXCUSE ME?!"

I'd gladly sit through that commercial. xD

Also the summer sets sound pretty sweet! Lots of villains and one big VS set - solid. Hope they look pretty dope. :)

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

Unless you were animating at that level at the age of 8, I don't think you're one to talk. Animation isn't easy even with Flash or similar animation tools. Add in the elaborately painted backdrops, storyboarding, character design, and so forth, and you end up with something that probably took more time, effort, and manpower than even the CGI adverts of previous years.

The animations look like and having the same voice actor for all characters is beyond annoying. LEGO has the means to give each of them distinct voices so they all don't sound the same and yet they hire one guy to do them all. This in itself isn't bad, but the voice actor uses terrible accents for some characters and different pitches for others. It's flimsy and lazy. Same with the animation. I don't care how long it takes. Bad animation is bad. CGI would have been so much better, but LEGO had to be cheap. 

Let's make the Toa look like our new 'awesome' Mixels. 

Lara Croft

"Oh, an ad? Oh well."

"EXCUSE ME?!"

Youtube uses targeted ads based on your search history, browsing habits and location.

I never looked at anything related, but youtube bombards me with alcohol ads.

• Upvote 2

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

The animations look like ###### and having the same voice actor for all characters is beyond annoying. LEGO has the means to give each of them distinct voices so they all don't sound the same and yet they hire one guy to do them all. This in itself isn't bad, but the voice actor uses terrible accents for some characters and different pitches for others. It's flimsy and lazy. Same with the animation. I don't care how long it takes. Bad animation is bad. CGI would have been so much better, but LEGO had to be cheap. 

Someone that went to the Toy Fair mentioned that he asked a Lego Representative of the "possibility of new films etc. and the rep seemed quite keen to downplay the franchise as 'low priority' for LEGO, with a smaller budget because of that". So....

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Hey, Bionicle saved Lego. For the revival of one of their most popular themes, they need to pull out ALL the stops. 

If Bionicle gets popular enough, a movie or a TV series is inevitable. As long as they get good actors to do it, it should be good. Not like that awful;

Ta-KOO-a?!? Ta-KOO-a?!? He's got more rocks in his head than a Po-Matoran... 

that the Mask of Light did. 

Dear God, that was awful.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Hey, Bionicle saved Lego. For the revival of one of their most popular themes, they need to pull out ALL the stops. 

If Bionicle gets popular enough, a movie or a TV series is inevitable. As long as they get good actors to do it, it should be good. Not like that awful;

I really did not like the movie that much. It was just too cheesy. Way too cheesy.

The animations look like ###### and having the same voice actor for all characters is beyond annoying. LEGO has the means to give each of them distinct voices so they all don't sound the same and yet they hire one guy to do them all. This in itself isn't bad, but the voice actor uses terrible accents for some characters and different pitches for others. It's flimsy and lazy. Same with the animation. I don't care how long it takes. Bad animation is bad. CGI would have been so much better, but LEGO had to be cheap.

It's okay to be wrong.

That said, they did not hire one guy to do all the voices, they hired one guy to narrate, which while similar, is not the same thing. That's very common in more mythological style stories, bit to mention the way 99% of all audio books are done.

• Upvote 8

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Well, DeeVee, how do you explain the inexplicable masculine Gali?

the same way you explain guys like me. I'm a guy, but I have feminine facial structure and stuff. ^__-

...Really though, it's the way they tell the story. The story is being told by one person, so maybe it's a character looking back on the story after the fact.

• Upvote 2

•  

It's okay to be wrong.

That said, they did not hire one guy to do all the voices, they hired one guy to narrate, which while similar, is not the same thing. That's very common in more mythological style stories, bit to mention the way 99% of all audio books are done.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not wrong then, right?

First of all, the videos are supposed to be introductions for the characters so kids can get to know them and get a feel for who they are. Gali is a female character, and yet they gave her a male voice for no good reason whatsoever. There is no current Bionicle audiobook, and it really wasn't that hard to get some no name woman to voice her if only for a few seconds.

Lara Croft

I kinda wish the Protectors had names. Doesn't matter if it's the Tohunga, the Mahri, the Turaga, whatever.

Just give them NAMES! They're clearly distinct from the rest of the villagers, so why give them such generic titles?

And the same with "Mask Maker" why not call him "Ekimu the Mask Maker"? Unless there's gonna be a way to change them between Ekimu and Makuta, I see no reason to give such an important character a generic title. And the protectors, is it so hard to print "-name- Protector of -Element-"?! I wouldn't even care if they were given HF names (I'd rather they didn't, but hey ho), Just NAME THEM!

Aah I watched that movie so much as a kid, I had the entire movie memorized and could say every line beginning to end without having the movie on or anything.... due in part to the fact that I had, at that time, an diagnosed case of OCD which several years later got diagnosed and medicated. Good times though, Bionicle was my biggest obsession.

I'm wondering if Skull Slicer will look vaguely similar to General Grievous structurally. I'd very happy with that. :P

A hybrid between Nocturn and Grievous?   :D

I would love a Bionicle-ized Grievous! Grievous was such an awesome character, too bad they ruined him. In the Clone Wars animated shorts, he was such a bada##! But then they turned around and made him a coward in everything after. Such wasted potential....

ANYWAY, back on topic, I'm pretty sure given the heavy amount of preliminary and prototype parts used in all the LEGO displays in London, the mask maker's mask will likely be gold and trans-blue which will look incredible, though I am a bit disappointed to hear that it will not have the gold chima ultrabuild armor addons, nor a hammer weapon. Will he even come with a weapon? Nothing has been mentioned of him holding anything has it? I am so looking forward to seeing pictures of these sets!