Toy Fair 2015: Bionicle

Did anyone else notice the hand grabbing for the mask on the box art I think the skull army? Is protecting these mesterious new masks. Also is skull grinder Makuta because he has a red/black color scheme and is fighting ekimu

Here came the bride all dressed in white I wish it was red then you all be deadlandscape_xlarge.jpg

The new pictures haven't changed my opinion any on the summer sets. They're still a very, very mixed bag of good and bad to me.

It is nice to see that all of Slicer's arms are geared, though. I do still really want Basher and Ekimu as well.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

The skull sets look interesting. Especially the box art (The hands specifically) and the 2 toned Masters (Toa) Masks. My theory is that the Golden masks were taken by the Skull Villians and "infected" with something. Thus the Hands for each Skull Box is actually the Toa trying to regain his golden mask.

Quick note: I just notices the box art. Each skull is at a different location inside the temple of doom time. The skull Archer is at the main entrance of the temple. Doc ock is further in like at wall after skull archer. Then it is the skull-scorpion standing a few meters away from the entrance of the tower where Ekimu is. Finally its skull slicer who is standing at the steps to get up to where Ekimu is fighting.

Edited by Master of Lehrak
  • Upvote 2

Master of Lehrak

lerahk.gif

Also is skull grinder Makuta because he has a red/black color scheme and is fighting ekimu

I highly doubt that. I could be very wrong, but I'd imagine another Makuta set is on it's way in the coming years.

There's not much left to say that hasn't been mentioned so I'll just throw my two cents in: These sets are WAYYY better than the previous pictures made them look. I was pretty disappointed and wasn't gonna get any of them, but now I'm tempted. Kudos.

Lego: getting more of my money, once set at a time!

• Upvote 2

move along.

nothing to see here.

Skull Warrior: A bit of a misleading title, considering he looks to be more of an archer, but I guess "Skull Archer" doesn't really fit here. Anyways, he really does capture an archer vibe well, and it's great to see a transparent light blue shooter!

I think my favorite part of skull warrior is that he's got two kinds of weapons: the bow, and the spear/staff/polearm.

makes him great for army-building, since you can have skull archers and skull warriors, o even just one guy who is proficient in two weapons! O:

I didn't notice the spear/polearm until you pointed it out! :o Very interesting choice for two weapons! Guess Skull Warrior does fit after all, hahah

BZPRPG Profiles

Nekka  Banar  Moku  Savok

Hm... Is it just me, or do Lewa's half-trans mask and the Mask of Creation look unfinished? I mean, it isn't uncommon for prototype pieces to appear at Toy Fair, but these two stand out, in particular

Hopefully the finished MoCr is as glorious as the promo images make it out to be

How did the Mask of Creation look unfinished? To me it looks like the mould was constructed to mimic a textured look of a really ancient mask (and it looks awesome IMO). Not sure what you meant about Lewa's mask either - you might have to be more specific. :)

I think it's expected that almost everyone will want to buy the set with the MoC. I feel like I will too since I get two sets in one. They all look fairly decent but that one stands out to me most.

Again, it's interesting how they're not following a pattern of sixes. I like it - mixes it up and lets them refocus on what they would really like to bring to the shelves rather than setting themselves up for a cloning pattern. Still, it does seem like a couple of these sets could do with more pieces or features.

What I meant by unfinished was that the MoCr had the Nuva symbols in it in all of the renderings, but here the product is lackin those, and has the texture reminiscent of an unfinished product (bumpy, not smooth)

Same goes for Lewa's mask, although his didn't have Nuva symbols hehe, just the bumpiness looks odd :P

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

Quick note: I just notices the box art. Each skull is at a different location inside the temple of doom time. The skull Archer is at the main entrance of the temple. Doc ock is further in like at wall after skull archer. Then it is the skull-scorpion standing a few meters away from the entrance of the tower where Ekimu is. Finally its skull slicer who is standing at the steps to get up to where Ekimu is fighting.

That building is probably the forge Ekimu and Makuta worked at, considering the orange glow from within it and the location the Skull Grinder and Ekimu are fighting.

Anyway I don't mind the blue and orange on skull warrior and I'd go so far as to say he's one of my favourite skull sets, but I like all of them tbh.

Edited by The Invisible Noob

Skull Warrior: A bit of a misleading title, considering he looks to be more of an archer, but I guess "Skull Archer" doesn't really fit here. Anyways, he really does capture an archer vibe well, and it's great to see a transparent light blue shooter!

I think my favorite part of skull warrior is that he's got two kinds of weapons: the bow, and the spear/staff/polearm.

makes him great for army-building, since you can have skull archers and skull warriors, o even just one guy who is proficient in two weapons! O:

I didn't notice the spear/polearm until you pointed it out! :o Very interesting choice for two weapons! Guess Skull Warrior does fit after all, hahah

I'm just glad they made the descision to have two weapons without both being held clumsily at the same time. Skull warrior's more practical than that.

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

My opinions

Skull Warrior. Nice color scheme and neat weapons. Does the vibe of a reanimated skeleton warrior well

Skull Slicer. Like the four armed designed though I think the gear function could be built better. Should have had some small armor on the trans green bones. The chain is unnecessary.

Skull Basher- Would definitely like to see how his function is built. It looks similar to Dragon Bolt's but smaller. Gives off both a bulky vibe and a skeletal vibe.

Skull Scorpio. Don't think this set is the worst. It just could have been designed better. I have a design for it in LDD but I'm waiting on an update for the new 2015 bionicle parts before I can show it.  I hope the tail's gimmick works well to compensate for how bad it looks.

Skull Grinder. Easily my favorite of the bunch. Looks great with the exception of the rounded shoulders. 

Ekimu- 7.8/10 to much trans blue. (Really Ekimu's animation model is more black than trans blue) I hope the gold protector mask will be better blended on the actual set releases and this was just one of bad ones. Doesn't matter to me since I'll be putting the Mask of Creation on him anyways.

Of the wave. Its not bad but I won't be getting all of the wave. Just Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder and Skull Warrior. If the others go on sale then I might get them.

One last think is I would switch there masks around. Skull Grinder gets Skull Warriors mask. Skull Warrior gets Skull Bashers mask. Skull Basher gets Skull Grinders mask and Skull Slicer and Skull Scorpio swap masks.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

Kind of disappointing that the blades and Lewa's and the MoCr were prototypes, but I guess it's okay compared to the amount of info and pictures we got. I'm not gonna pick favorites out of them because they're all a bit sad-looking in my eyes, but they're not as bad as I originally thought. I just hope we get better sets next year.

Now I gotta figure out where all the money for these sets is coming from.

One thing I'm not sure of...is 'Kimu's hammer also a six shooter? That seems kind of dumb to me, considering he already has a gear function (though I'm not sure that 2 friction gears are necessary). But then again, I've yet to actually try a six shooter, so maybe this is actually a pro.

While I didn't see it demonstrated, but seeing as the set comes with extra ammo, I'd say that yet, it does function.

One thing I'm not sure of...is 'Kimu's hammer also a six shooter? That seems kind of dumb to me, considering he already has a gear function (though I'm not sure that 2 friction gears are necessary). But then again, I've yet to actually try a six shooter, so maybe this is actually a pro.

It is a six-shooter, and having had the new launchers for a few months now it's unquestionably a pro. The new launchers are ridiculously effective, and having one of those in a brand new color makes him much more appealing than he would be with an ordinary hammer. And if you do want to switch the shooter out and leave him with a regular hammer, the part used for the opposite end of his hammer is fairly common, having been featured in sets since 2012.

It would appear that Skull Basher's arms function similarly to Dragon Bolt's wings.

You got it. I'd built a mock-up of Basher's function a while back and it works quite effectively, without exaggerating his proportions much more than the normal gearbox would. He's probably my favorite of the Skull Villains thanks to that function, his great color scheme, and his overall imposing look.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

While I didn't see it demonstrated, but seeing as the set comes with extra ammo, I'd say that yet, it does function.

if you look closer on the pic of the end of the hammer it does not have the piece that is yellow and ejects the studs

Here came the bride all dressed in white I wish it was red then you all be deadlandscape_xlarge.jpg

if you look closer on the pic of the end of the hammer it does not have the piece that is yellow and ejects the studs

It's there, just not yellow.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

You know, since I have a job now, I was hoping my bank account would become plentiful and full of life.

Lego, once again, must go and prove me wrong.

R.I.P. KFP's wallet, 1998-2015.

Well, for what it's worth, the summer wave is only half the price of the winter wave.

AXKP5KC.png

One of the things that stands out to me is that the new wave doesn't seem as fleshed out as the first wave. I feel they really went all out on the Toa and Protects as compared to these various Skull characters. But at the same time, I'm interested in the story behind them as well as just owning them. 

Edited by Anapouri

Did anyone else notice the hand grabbing for the mask on the box art I think the skull army? Is protecting these mesterious new masks. Also is skull grinder Makuta because he has a red/black color scheme and is fighting ekimu

Yeah, I noticed those hands, too, although my take on them was that they were the Toa trying to reach for something that had been taken away from them, hehe :P

As for the Makuta bit, it is up in the air for now. Skull Grinder is neither confirmed nor denied for Makuta, although it is possible that it could be a being possessed by Makuta, too

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

I was thinking that Skull Grinder might be Makuta too, but if that is the case I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand, I do not want the main bad guy to come up to the heroes' waists. On the other hand, I would want Makuta to come with his masks, especially the Mask of Control. I love how that masks looks like a mix between the G1 movie mask and a pharaoh's headdress, and it would be a disappointment if we were not able to obtain it.

• Upvote 1

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Oh, how I've missed following Toy Fairs and their problematic displays. xD Still as exciting as it was back in the day though.

Having now seen the (unfortunately smaller) summer wave in greater detail and from different angles, my impressions have definitely changed. 

I'm LOVING these sets. All of them. Yes, even Scorpio. Looks like I'm buying em. 

First off, the box art is fantastic. I love how it establishes conflict with the hand reaching for the masks. The backgrounds and eerie but very well composed. Looks like there is more than one Skull Warrior? The multi-coloured masks are beautiful but I wish we had ones for Tahu and Gali.

As for the sets - wow. I am seriously impressed by how varied each of their action features are.

Skull Warrior looks great, love that he has two drastically different weapons in the form of a crossbow and a spear. The colours work and he definitely has the vibe of a mythic warrior, albeit a bony one.

Skull Slicer was one I was initially really displeased by - but upon closer look I have gained a new respect for it. The quadruple gear function is SO COOL. I can't wait to try that out.

Skull Basher is definitely solid. The different "bashing" feature seems well implemented and I love the overall look of the set. Very menacing.

Skull Scorpio is pretty polarizing among fans, which is understandable. For me though, it looks like it fills the niche of LoSS in the "technical build, but not much poseability" factor. That's fine by me. Looks like fun to play with as well, and honestly, I don't mind the look at all.

Colour schemes for all the sets are pretty great. Trans colours are definitely always a plus.

Mask Maker VS Skull Grinder is pretty sweet. We get Ekimu in his gold/trans-light blue glory, a cool-looking Skull Villain and the freakin Mask of Creation all in one set. Lots of conflict there! Ekimu having a gear function is exciting. Skull Grinder definitely has an aura of menace to him, but I feel like he is the most "standard" out of the 5 skull villains so far.

Solid line-up. The CAD price for Mask Maker VS Skull Grinder is killing me though. WHY IS IT A WHOLE $10 MORE?!

-NotS 

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

It is 30$ because 20$ for the(toa) skull grinder,and10$ for the (protecter)ekimu

Yeah sure, kinda understanable for the USA.

"Translated" into the Australian dollar "should" be something akin to:

$19.99 or $29.99 ("Toa") + $15.99 ("Protector") = $35.98 or $45.98 (Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder)

If you're buying in NZ, if you take the Australian price (which is kinda dodgy but) then: +$4 (Protector), +$5 or $10 (Toa)!

And considering that the American prices for Protector/Toa/Toa are: $9.99, $14.99, $19.99, you notice that the currency conversions are ...how do we say... not exactly linear... I'm fairly certain the NZ Price for MMvSG would presumably be either $54~ or $59~, depending on whether they count Skull Grinder as a "big Toa" or a "Small Toa"; I wouldn't be surprised if he was $60 NZ, but I'd be surprised if it was even $54.95  :/

I could easily be wrong but...

The prices might be understandableish in the USA or the UK, but look at Canada compared to the USA, & in fairness Australia & New Zealand are kind of 'isolated', but look at the USA compared to the UK, throw it through a currency converter. I suppose the UK might have a high import tax compared to the USA...???

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

It is 30$ because 20$ for the(toa) skull grinder,and10$ for the (protecter)ekimu

Yeah sure, kinda understanable for the USA.

"Translated" into the Australian dollar "should" be something akin to:

$19.99 or $29.99 ("Toa") + $15.99 ("Protector") = $35.98 or $45.98 (Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder)

If you're buying in NZ, if you take the Australian price (which is kinda dodgy but) then: +$4 (Protector), +$5 or $10 (Toa)!

And considering that the American prices for Protector/Toa/Toa are: $9.99, $14.99, $19.99, you notice that the currency conversions are ...how do we say... not exactly linear... I'm fairly certain the NZ Price for MMvSG would presumably be either $54~ or $59~, depending on whether they count Skull Grinder as a "big Toa" or a "Small Toa"; I wouldn't be surprised if he was $60 NZ, but I'd be surprised if it was even $54.95  :/

I could easily be wrong but...

The prices might be understandableish in the USA or the UK, but look at Canada compared to the USA, & in fairness Australia & New Zealand are kind of 'isolated', but look at the USA compared to the UK, throw it through a currency converter. I suppose the UK might have a high import tax compared to the USA...???

There are a lot of factors involved in price differences. In the UK, for instance, sales tax is included in the price of products, unlike the USA, where it's added on top of the listed price. Other factors include everything from the price of comparable products, the average family income for people in those countries, and logistical issues like shipping costs.

also in the background of skull warrior there are an army of skull warriors on a gateish structure,

& one of them looks kind of like Skull Slicer... almost...

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

I like these pictures a lot more than the ones we got before. And now that I've seen them, I can see some of the problems people have with them. I personally think that Skull Slicer and Skull Scorpio look good, though that might be my love for green pieces talking. :P Skull Warrior and Skull Basher look alright, but they are not the best sets out of this wave IMO. 

Right now, Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder is the only set I know I am getting. I may grab Scorpio as well, but I will have to think about getting all of them. 

Edited by The Master Sword

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

On the topic of box art, what's with the Two moons? Will those come into play some time in the future story, or are they there just to look nice?

I'm rather hoping that they have some sort of significance.

I'm inclined to think the latter. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

On the topic of box art, what's with the Two moons? Will those come into play some time in the future story, or are they there just to look nice?

I'm rather hoping that they have some sort of significance.

Well part of the Propesy of Heroes is that the "planets align", with the planets being visible in the sky of Okoto in the animations. Those "moons" on the box art are probably a couple of those planets.

In that sense, they already have a story purpose as part of the Prophesy. But hopefully future story will explore why the planets had to align for the Toa to be summoned, why it is referred to as "the stars aligning" elsewhere, what the comets were that the Toa arrived on and where the comets came from.

• Upvote 1
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

But hopefully future story will explore why the planets had to align for the Toa to be summoned, why it is referred to as "the stars aligning" elsewhere...

Historically, planets and comets were all thought of as types of star. And in fact, "stars aligning" pretty much ALWAYS refers to planets, because planets are some of the only "stars" that move independently of the normal "fixed" stars (the word "planet" actually comes from a Greek word meaning "wanderer" because of the way planets "wander" around the sky compared to actual stars). So this part, at least, is no mystery. It simply means that astronomy in Okoto's society is less developed than in our own.

• Upvote 6

On the topic of Skull Grinder being Makuta, I think it's very unlikely. The connection to Makuta is there though, I think. All of the summer villian sets (and also LoSS) have the transparent orange/red shells. The color scheme of the sets is a bit broken by these shells on a few sets (Skull Warrior and Skull Slicer) and that makes me think that there is a story purpose rather than a design.

• Upvote 1

On the topic of Skull Grinder being Makuta, I think it's very unlikely. The connection to Makuta is there though, I think. All of the summer villian sets (and also LoSS) have the transparent orange/red shells. The color scheme of the sets is a bit broken by these shells on a few sets (Skull Warrior and Skull Slicer) and that makes me think that there is a story purpose rather than a design.

Oh, Makuta is undoubtedly pulling the strings whether he appears in a set or not. Story summaries so far haven't even tried to hide that.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I find the second wave of 2015 for Bionicle atrocious.  Not sinking a dime into it.  I was really hoping for some rahi, or maybe something a little more interesting than the bland skeletons we're getting.  *sigh*