OFFICIAL 2016 Bionicle Topic

Makaru

Still waiting for someone at toy fair to get some better pics of the Bionicle figures...

I just wanna say, I REEEEALLY like it that the Skulls are still present, though probably feral and directionless without Kulta to order them around. It's sort of like how they kept the Bohrok around for a while as a part of the story even though the Kal were already selling. It makes the transition from one line to the next easier. It also gives the Toa something to fight until Umarak summons his three elemental beasts.

I also REEEALLY hope we get to see those in the Netflix series, too, and that they build them up as these forces of nature with powers that rival the Toas'. That would be awesome.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Well, IDK about anyone else, but it seems Umarak the Destroyer has the same case as the 2008 Toa Nuva, in that both look almost nothing like their previous forms save for a few small similarities. Small similarities being the shadow-traps. 

How exactly did his cool antlers become boring horns? Why did his nice transparent green go to that sicklier, much more ugly looking green? If they're the same character, it would make a lot more sense for the transparent colour to be the same, right? Because, you know, they're supposed to be the same character. Where did the brown and dark red go? Umarak looks extremely boring in 'Destroyer' form. He's basically 'Generic LEGO Beastly Enemy Number #3274878'. Whereas Umarak the Hunter is quite unique. 

Not sure how I feel about the rest. Gotta say, though: their limbs are extremely awkward-looking. 

• Upvote 2

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

Oh good, there is some printing on Ekimu's chest there. It does helpt a little bit.

The blended masks coming with the beasts this year just don't seem as interesting to me as last year's. The lime green just doesn't look good to me. It's kind of okay with the Mask of Earth, but the red and white with Fire and Ice... Meh. The blended Hunter Mask looks wicked though.

The beasts look decent. I like having the traps be seemingly a part of their anatomy (wonder if they aren't mutated traps...).

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Well, IDK about anyone else, but it seems Umarak the Destroyer has the same case as the 2008 Toa Nuva, in that both look almost nothing like their previous forms save for a few small similarities. Small similarities being the shadow-traps. 

Along with skeletal torso, and Digitigrade legs.

How exactly did his cool antlers become boring horns?

It seems to be the Mask of control's horns.

Edited by Display Name Goes Here

How exactly did his cool antlers become boring horns? Why did his nice transparent green go to that sicklier, much more ugly looking green? If they're the same character, it would make a lot more sense for the transparent colour to be the same, right? Because, you know, they're supposed to be the same character. Where did the brown and dark red go? Umarak looks extremely boring in 'Destroyer' form. He's basically 'Generic LEGO Beastly Enemy Number #3274878'. Whereas Umarak the Hunter is quite unique. 

Not sure how I feel about the rest. Gotta say, though: their limbs are extremely awkward-looking. 

The horns are the Mask of Control's "ears" stretched out to a crazy length. That in itself is a VERY cool idea, in my book. It makes it feel like the mask is alive, like it's a parasite using Umarak as a host body to wreak havok, and the heavy use of the yellowish green they use is meant to look toxic and sickly, like a much more highly concentrated, more radioactive looking substance than whatever Umarak's body was made of before. It's like he's exploding with energy. They're trying to convey that Umarak has fused with the Mask of Control somehow, causing him to mutate and hulk out. It's like in a SNES game where the final boss hulks out for the second phase of the fight and looks ugly and exaggerated as heck. That's the entire point. So... they've succeeded, whatever it is they were trying to do. Now it's just a matter of whether or not they should've "known better"  than to attempt such a thing in the first place. Personally, I'm really glad they did this.

Edited by NickonAquaMagna
  • Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Gotta disagree with you. His colors have changed and he's become even more beastly, but there's still a lot of continuity between the designs of Umarak the Hunter and Umarak the Destroyer, from the very similar build for his legs and feet to the Shadow Traps on his shoulders to the skeletal ribcage (but now with a much beefier chest) to the way he now wears a more beastly version of the Mask of Control. If he's lost something about who and what he was, maybe that's a good thing, as it shows how taking the Mask of Control has corrupted him.

Also, I love the gear functions for his claws! It's simple but still unlike anything we ever really got from previous sets. That's not to say he's flawless. His horns don't feel very continuous (this could have been a good place for a recolor), his upper arms and legs feel kind of bony, and his color scheme is a bit monotonous compared to the more mottled colors of the Hunter. Nevertheless, I love the design both visually, as a "titan" build, and conceptually, as a corrupted version of Umarak.

More pictures up here!

I already like Ekimu a little more thanks to this new photo of him. There's more gold on him than I originally thought, and the printing on his chest armor helps balance out his color scheme IMO.

Umarak still looks really cool, but I'm not sold on the Beasts just yet. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

The Skull Villains we see in the new videos are all wearing Skull Spider masks.

~Unit#phntk#1

Maybe they are mutated villagers, that would be interesting.

It looks like if you punch a beast in the jaw he will blow his top. :P

Just like how Grimace is a mutated McNugget.

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

I have mixed feelings about the new mask of control, if only because it wouldn't really work on any other set. 

Ekimu's upper legs could also use some bulking up. They look bare. 

EDIT: In the new videos, we can see that the Skull Warriors not only wear skull spiders, but also different colors of spiders. In Onua's video, Ekimu (Protector-size) is seen with the Toa in the Maze of Control, so we can predict his inclusion in the summer wave isn't just simply after some hiatus away from the Toa. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but does Target not seem to carry the $10 Uniters and $15 Toa sets? All the Targets in city only carry the $20 sets and the Kopaka Unity set. Online they claim they don't carry them in stores. Is this something anyone else has observed?

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

Oh god, that huge gap under lava beasts head is kind of ridiculous. Looks absolutely terrible. And the fact that his head is so big makes it even worse. Whats with the articulation on storm beast? He doesn't have an elbow joint. Quake beast is just weird, not a fan of the shadow trap on his shoulder, whatever that contraption on his other shoulder is supposed to be, and the purple on his head isnt the same purple on his armor which looks odd. Honestly the only good thing i can say about the beasts is their color schemes. Those are generally good for the most part. Everything else to me is just terrible. They're gappy, but not in a way that at least makes sense like the skull warriors. And just a mess.  Not a fan of the giant heads either. Ekimu looks okay, i think he might grow on me. At the very least he could be a parts pack for all that delicious trans blue. Only one I actually really like so far is Umarak the destroyer.

Edited by hiddenderek

Oh cool, Ekimu has a gearbox as well as the hip-gears. That's certainly interesting. Also, that transparent blue Mask of Creation is awesome. That chest printing is awesome. I guess next year, the next incarnations of the Toa are probably going to have both gearboxes and hip-gears. What's next? Geared... I'm not sure what else you would add gears too. Gear add-on pieces. Yes, that's a thing that should happen. 

Lava Beast looks pretty decent, legs aside. Head is poorly posed, but that's easily fixed. Hands and weapons are pretty cool. Also, seems we're getting orange glatorian necks.

Storm Beast has... uh... questionable elbows. And hands. Legs are a step-up from Lava Beast. Seems to lack the hip-gear for some reason. 

Quake Beast... legs are oddly asymmetrical, can't really judge it. Interestingly, despite using the original HF torsos, both Storm Beast and Quake Beast have managed to hide the exposed ball joints, which is interesting. Wonder how they achieved that.

Already said what I thought about Umarak.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

http://zusammengebaut.com/toy-fair-2016-lego-bionicle-many-new-sets-on-display-4271/

Ekimu

I'm liking Ekimu's new torso print.

He appears to use the 2015 gear box and waist swivel functions.

Is it just me or does he have trans. light blue and clear blended shells on his upper legs?

Lava Beast

I need that chest plate print.

He appears to be almost dragon/bat like with his clawed wings/hands.

His mask blends into trans. red/orange rather than trans. neon green.

He has half a shadow trap on the back of his head, I think this looks odd.

Trans. brown spiky "molar" shells.

Great MOCing pieces.

Earth Beast

His chest plate print isn't that great, IMO.

Other then that little nit pick I think he looks great (except the legs which look lacking as with all the beasts.).

Interesting use of the shadow trap, I wounder if you can make one with his pieces as with UTH.

Storm Beast

This set to me looks the most lacking.

His chest plate print is just as bad as Earth Beast's.

He has a tail that ends in a shadow trap, it looks ok but not great.

Why are his thumbs on the bottom of his hands?

All and all I think I will only get him for the pieces or just to complete my collection, if at all.

Umarak the Destroyer

This guy is big, at least for G2, Star Wars General Grievous is quite tall for a ccbs build.

He looks better then I thought he would, but I still like his hunter version better.

I really want to see that claw function in action.

He does have a waist swivel?

I am looking forward to getting these.

@The Chattering Corpse Heap

I think the Storm and Quake Beasts use the new star wars torsos.

@Nescent

I don't think the function can be determined from this view.

Edited by Rakrondewl

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but does Target not seem to carry the $10 Uniters and $15 Toa sets? All the Targets in city only carry the $20 sets and the Kopaka Unity set. Online they claim they don't carry them in stores. Is this something anyone else has observed?

I'm having this same issue myself. Outside of the LEGO store, I can't seem to find the sets you mentioned in Target.

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Has anyone noticed how far back Ekimu's arms are relative to his neck? It's even worse than the gap on the 2015 Toa. At least they all had nice-looking shoulder builds. I still like the set more than I do the other four, but... it's just hard not to focus on those shoulders.

Has anyone noticed how far back Ekimu's arms are relative to his neck? It's even worse than the gap on the 2015 Toa. At least they all had nice-looking shoulder builds. I still like the set more than I do the other four, but... it's just hard not to focus on those shoulders.

It seems his arms are back further because he uses the 2015 gear box.  The shoulders look awkward because they are positioned forward.  I think they should of gave us side views to make things like this more clear.

Interesting to see they brought back coloured heads. Although this does make me worry we're gonna see half-masks again.

if you meant like the glatorian helmets, i don't think they'd need thr-colored heads for that now, since the masks already clip around the sides so the standard head can already support a mask that's only a top or bottom half. o:

in fact, tr colored heads were never really required for that! they just.. save money with only one mold for the head. u:

• Upvote 3

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Is the spiky shoulder armor on Lava Beast transparent-black? That's kinda neat.

Also, does anyone else really like the chest printing on all the villains? Umarak's is especially awesome.

Yeah, I mentioned that in a previous comment.  I called it trans. brown though, because that's what it's called in LDD (I don't now it's official name).

I like all the prints except for Storm and Quake Beasts'.

Edited by Rakrondewl

Also, does anyone else really like the chest printing on all the villains? Umarak's is especially awesome.

Yeah, I mentioned that in a previous comment.  I called it trans. brown though, because that's what it's called in LDD (I don't now it's official name).

Transparent Brown is the official name (LDD generally uses official color names). Trans-Black is the Bricklink name. Peeron calls it "Smoke".

I believe this is only the second Bionicle set (other than playsets) to use this color. The first was Carapar, who blended it with Flame Yellowish Orange to create his distinctive crab-shell color.

I like all the prints except for Storm and Quake Beasts'.

LDD names are official names. ;)

EDIT: Ninja'd AGAIN.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

OK, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure.  I found a LDD file online that had suppressed colors from the program, some of which I don't believe are official (thus my confusion).  Plus in the LEGO community a color can go by many names I believe even some LEGO designers call them different names.

Thank you guys for the confirmation.

Are we going to get any more pictures of the sets?  I would like to see them from the sides and back.

• Upvote 2

I think the voice in the Umarak video might be actual voice acting from the show (I think it might be one of the protectors). Also is that:

tumblr_o1m61m7taj1tkkw4ko1_540.png

Makuta? 

Hmph, is this really Makuta? The moment I saw this scene in Umarak's vid I immediately thought about the Mask of Ultimate Power. This dark essence, if I can call it that way, has a lot of similarities with the aesthetic of the Mask of Ultimate Power from the very first 2015 animation. That coupled with the fact that I am still quite convinced that Makuta is a mere puppet of the Mask of Ultimate Power, makes me think that this year we might get our first glimpse of the elusive mask itself, the mask which I believe to be the ultimate villain of Generation 2. I could be wrong of course, but this is how it seems to me  :)

20150209083544!Video_Mask_of_Ultimate_Po

Edited by Umm Durmán
  • Upvote 5

IhDIrLK.jpg

So we don't know when the app is coming to the app store..... BUT WHO CARES! SUMMER SETS!!! WHOOOO!!! eh... whatever.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png