OFFICIAL 2016 Bionicle Topic

Makaru

So we don't know when the app is coming to the app store..... BUT WHO CARES! SUMMER SETS!!! WHOOOO!!! eh... whatever.

I'm really excited for them! Last year I was apprehensive about the Skull villains at first, and they took a little while to grow on me...but these summer sets impressed me immediately.

We're finally getting a proper main bad guy. Umarak is the big bad villain the reboot desperately needs.

The Beasts are also nice. Quake Beast is my favorite, and the other two are pretty cool also.

Ekimu is alright, I'm mostly excited for his mask. I like the fully-transparent masks more than the blended ones...They look like candy.  :cheesy:

By the way, I really hope that Matt Betteker resumes his monthly paintings...they did a lot to liven up Bionicle.

IetTsFQ.png

The Protectors are really getting bulked up for this year's story. 

They may not need the Toa to save them. They could just save themselves. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

The Protectors are really getting bulked up for this year's story.

They may not need the Toa to save them. They could just save themselves. :P

Looks like the combiner models get storyline relevance after all... :P

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Well, it would be awfully wasteful of the Toa and Ekimu to not give away their old weapons and armour to those who could do with them, wouldn't it? I don't know about you, but I've yet to see recycling bins on Okoto, so they can't just dump them in the recycling bin.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

I really doubt this is a protector. This is Tahu's 2015 combiner set and I think the label as "Protector of fire" is a mere error on the page (like so many other errors we saw there since the Generation 2 Bionicle page was first created). The characters page still shows the protectors to have their old models from 2015. I seriously doubt that the protectors would suddenly be made toa, just like that. It wouldn't be good for the story since the 6 toa that fell from the stars are supposed to be special. Besides, the 2015 toa combiners, labeled there as protectors, don't match the aesthetics of the original protectors the slightest bit - they look nearly exactly like the 2015 toa, which would be extremely confusing if they indeed were protectors. It would pretty much strip all of the 2015 characters from their identity.    :)

Edited by Umm Durmán

IhDIrLK.jpg

I really doubt this is a protector. This is Tahu's 2015 combiner set and I think the label as "Protector of fire" is a mere error on the page (like so many other errors we saw there since the Generation 2 Bionicle page was first created). The characters page still shows the protectors to have their old models from 2015. I seriously doubt that the protectors would suddenly be made toa, just like that. It wouldn't be good for the story since the 6 toa that fell from the stars are supposed to be special. Besides, the 2015 toa combiners, labeled there as protectors, don't match the aesthetics of the original protectors the slightest bit - they look nearly exactly like the 2015 toa, which would be extremely confusing if they indeed were protectors. It would pretty much strip all of the 2015 characters from their identity.    :)

The posters labeled as "Protectors" are actually posters that show the Protectors, the Toa, AND the Protector+Toa "Powered Up" forms. Example. I don't think it's all that confusing, really. It's still advertising the Protectors, just one specific feature of them — their ability to "power up" that year's Toa.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

I really doubt this is a protector. This is Tahu's 2015 combiner set and I think the label as "Protector of fire" is a mere error on the page (like so many other errors we saw there since the Generation 2 Bionicle page was first created). The characters page still shows the protectors to have their old models from 2015. I seriously doubt that the protectors would suddenly be made toa, just like that. It wouldn't be good for the story since the 6 toa that fell from the stars are supposed to be special. Besides, the 2015 toa combiners, labeled there as protectors, don't match the aesthetics of the original protectors the slightest bit - they look nearly exactly like the 2015 toa, which would be extremely confusing if they indeed were protectors. It would pretty much strip all of the 2015 characters from their identity. :)

We know. We're joking.

• Upvote 4

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

The new sets are starting to grow on me but I'm still annoyed by the lack of new molds. I mean come on last summer had a load of new molds but we only get one new armour piece in this wave.

Indeed, it would have been nice to get a few more new molds. I think we're just getting four:

-Corrupted Mask of Control

-Beast face piece

-Beast jaw piece

-Spiky armor thing

A new weapon mold would have been nice. It would bother me more if there weren't so many sweet re-colors, though.

IetTsFQ.png

The new sets are starting to grow on me but I'm still annoyed by the lack of new molds. I mean come on last summer had a load of new molds but we only get one new armour piece in this wave.

Indeed, it would have been nice to get a few more new molds. I think we're just getting four:

-Corrupted Mask of Control

-Beast face piece

-Beast jaw piece

-Spiky armor thing

A new weapon mold would have been nice. It would bother me more if there weren't so many sweet re-colors, though.

Well I'm hoping that due to less money being spent on the summer wave maybe they'll double the budget for the winter 2017 wave. It would make sense as that's probably going to be presented as the big final battle with Makuta. 

It's time to move on.

The posters labeled as "Protectors" are actually posters that show the Protectors, the Toa, AND the Protector+Toa "Powered Up" forms. Example. I don't think it's all that confusing, really. It's still advertising the Protectors, just one specific feature of them — their ability to "power up" that year's Toa.

I really doubt this is a protector. This is Tahu's 2015 combiner set and I think the label as "Protector of fire" is a mere error on the page (like so many other errors we saw there since the Generation 2 Bionicle page was first created). The characters page still shows the protectors to have their old models from 2015. I seriously doubt that the protectors would suddenly be made toa, just like that. It wouldn't be good for the story since the 6 toa that fell from the stars are supposed to be special. Besides, the 2015 toa combiners, labeled there as protectors, don't match the aesthetics of the original protectors the slightest bit - they look nearly exactly like the 2015 toa, which would be extremely confusing if they indeed were protectors. It would pretty much strip all of the 2015 characters from their identity. :)

We know. We're joking.

Well, that makes sense, then  :)

IhDIrLK.jpg

Watching the Journey to One character videos, I'm surprised by how much Okoto writing there is. The only one I can make out currently is this from Onua's video:

sQ1HOHd.png

Which says, unsurprisingly, "[Onua] Earth Unity." Interestingly, the 'H' symbol is reversed to what it normally is. I'll see if I can make out what the others say.

Edited by jed1ndy
  • Upvote 1

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

Watching the Journey to One character videos, I'm surprised by how much Okoto writing there is. The only one I can make out currently is this from Onua's video:

sQ1HOHd.png

Which says, unsurprisingly, "[Onua] Earth Unity." Interestingly, the 'H' symbol is reversed to what it normally is. iI'l see if I can make out what the others say.

I'm still waiting for lego to release the Okoto alphabet on the bionicle website. 

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

Watching the Journey to One character videos, I'm surprised by how much Okoto writing there is. The only one I can make out currently is this from Onua's video:

sQ1HOHd.png

Which says, unsurprisingly, "[Onua] Earth Unity." Interestingly, the 'H' symbol is reversed to what it normally is. iI'l see if I can make out what the others say.

I'm still waiting for lego to release the Okoto alphabet on the bionicle website. 

Same here! This looks like it'll be a little bit harder to learn than Matoran.

Watching the Journey to One character videos, I'm surprised by how much Okoto writing there is. The only one I can make out currently is this from Onua's video:

sQ1HOHd.png

Which says, unsurprisingly, "[Onua] Earth Unity." Interestingly, the 'H' symbol is reversed to what it normally is. I'll see if I can make out what the others say.

If you are right, Onua's Nuva symbol is a "U"!  Why would Onua's symbol be an "U"?  I checked all the rest of their symbols when I saw this, none of the rest match the above characters.

Does "Toa" Ekimu have a Nuva symbol as well?  I can't be sure from the pictures, but it looks like it to me.

Edited by Rakrondewl

Snippity snip!

If you are right, Onua's Nuva symbol is a "U"! Why would Onua's symbol be an "U"? I checked all the rest of their symbols when I saw this, none of the rest match the above characters.

Does "Toa" Ekimu have a Nuva symbol as well? I can't be sure from the pictures, but it looks like it to me.

Onua' symbol is actually his Nuva Symbol from G1. The exact writing on the pillar would be "TY[Onua]EART[H(reversed)]UNITY[Onua]", so it's safe to infer that it repeats.

I don't know if Ekimu has a symbol, but it could very well be the case. We don't have enough footage to really see, however.

Edited by jed1ndy

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

Gi9juq3.png

Snippity snip!

If you are right, Onua's Nuva symbol is a "U"! Why would Onua's symbol be an "U"? I checked all the rest of their symbols when I saw this, none of the rest match the above characters.

Does "Toa" Ekimu have a Nuva symbol as well? I can't be sure from the pictures, but it looks like it to me.

Onua' symbol is actually his Nuva Symbol from G1. The exact writing on the pillar would be "TY[Onua]EART[H(reversed)]UNITY[Onua]", so it's safe to infer that it repeats.

I don't know if Ekimu has a symbol, but it could very well be the case. We don't have enough footage to really see, however.

I knew it was his symbol but I thought it was doubling as a letter.

Hmm...Now I am going to go strain my eyes trying to see if I can see one. :P

Ekimu may have his own symbol on his box that's analogous to the Nuva Symbols, like how Umarak has his own on his box.

It does appear there is a square for a symbol in the center of his chest and there are other ones that wrap down from the sides of the chest making their way to the center.  I wish we had better picture of the box as well.

Edited by Rakrondewl

Here is the rest of the writing that I can find in these previews.

The last two ("YR in th[e], Solve of" and "TOPYMING") interest me in particular, since they seem to mean something, but I'm not sure what.

EDIT: I accidentally used Onua's symbol instead of Kopaka's. My bad.

EDIT 2: I fixed the image. It should now have Kopaka's correct symbol, as well as the correct symbol for 'F'.

Edited by jed1ndy

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Gi9juq3.png

Here is the rest of the writing that I can find in these previews.

The last two ("YR in th[e], Solve of" and "TOPYMING") interest me in particular, since they seem to mean something, but I'm not sure what.

"TOPYMING"?  Interesting, I wounder what thats suppose to mean?

After "straining" my eyes for a couple minutes/seconds I saw this as the symbol on Ekimu.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12662652_1682352635346395_1938468460103103460_n.jpg?oh=6eaaef8489be3e63e102d671ecc8ef93&oe=5732E28E

It wasn't as hard as I thought. :P

Here is were I saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AZmdntElqA

At 8:05 you can see all of Ekimu's symbols.

Edited by Rakrondewl

Well i now have Umarak in the ABS (the hunter, don't get hyped here.) and he's BETTER than i expected! O:

(i raised his shoulders a module of course because i'm not a fool but itherwise he's unaltered)

the colors really work, and the body is good and solid and he's HUGE, i was not expecting that much height despite havign seen images of him o:

and! th new torso's actually pretty sweet? has good friction n mine didn't squeak at all!

My verdict is if oyu don't have this guy then what are you even using your money on? taxes? WHAT?

(also shadow traps are big, yikes! you could catch a villager in em, heck, it's the same size as the original tohunga!)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Well i now have Umarak in the ABS (the hunter, don't get hyped here.) and he's BETTER than i expected! O:

Fun fact! Lego Technic (and by extension, CCBS) is generally molded out of Polycarbonate (the same material Lego uses for transparent parts) rather than ABS. So it'd be more accurate to say you got him in the Polycarbonate. The more you know!

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

How come lego molds Technic, Bionicle & CCBS pieces in Polycarbonate? Is it to avoid exhausting all their ABS?

Definitely not. It's not like Lego's supply of ABS is limited to that extent, and for all I know Polycarbonate might even be more expensive.

The main reason Lego ever really chooses any different material for parts is because of the physical and structural properties of different materials. For example, softer types of plastic don't just allow for greater flexibility—they also allow for fine, crisp details without risking the part becoming brittle and breaking either during the molding process or when played with by the end user (this is why spikier parts like Exo Force hairpieces use a more rubbery plastic). I don't know specifically why Technic parts are Polycarbonate (in part since they've been that way for a long, long time. I do know that Polycarbonate, unlike ABS, is transparent until it's dyed—ABS (and the softer Polypropylene) are more of a milky white before dye is added. Polycarbonate also bonds to itself readily, which is why PC to PC connections are discouraged in cases like sticking a lightsaber blade through a 1x1 cone—the two will become almost inseparable. This obviously doesn't apply to Technic connections, which suggests that the connections themselves are designed with that added friction taken into account. So with that in mind, it's possible that if Technic parts like axles were molded in ABS, they wouldn't provide adequate friction and would result in a looser or less stable connection.

Again, I don't have all the answers, so I'm just spitballing here. But from everything I've read, Lego generally chooses their materials based primarily on a part's function and appearance, rather than any sort of cost-cutting.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Wait. Lava Beast's lower legs.

Are those ball socket connectors, but with a length of axle in place of an axle socket?

That would be... sweet.

No, they're just Y-joints and Glatorian necks connected with a regular 2M axle. You can tell in this pic from Zusammengebaut. The Glatorian necks do appear to be a new recolor, though (Bright Orange).

Wait. Lava Beast's lower legs.

Are those ball socket connectors, but with a length of axle in place of an axle socket?

That would be... sweet.

No, they're just Y-joints and Glatorian necks connected with a regular 2M axle. You can tell in this pic from Zusammengebaut. The Glatorian necks do appear to be a new recolor, though (Bright Orange).

I really like the leg builds on these summer sets since they're not just simple bone pieces anymore.

Also, did they really make two Umaraks in one year? o.O

I really like the leg builds on these summer sets since they're not just simple bone pieces anymore.

they made two lewas, pohatus, and antrozes in 2008, and two mata-nuis in 2009, it's similar to that, except this one's actually a story significant  transformation. :b

• Upvote 5

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Wait the glatorian heads? I thought it was a recolour of the current heads. I hope they fix that mold as last time I checked that mold still had cracking issues. 

It's time to move on.

Wait the glatorian heads? I thought it was a recolour of the current heads. I hope they fix that mold as last time I checked that mold still had cracking issues. 

Heads and necks aren't the same, you know. :P I think you might have misread that post.

This is a head, and this is a neck.

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator
  • Upvote 2

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

they made two lewas, pohatus, and antrozes in 2008, and two mata-nuis in 2009, it's similar to that, except this one's actually a story significant  transformation. :b

Those were typically choose one or another. Most people probably wouldn't buy a $10 set after buying a $40 one with nearly the same figure. But if it's like two versions of the same character, display dioramas are gonna look weird D:

Here is a trailer for the Mask of Control App, featuring some new footage of Journey to One:

That is an awesome footage! I like the new clips for Journey to One, including the suspense from Umarak.:) Where did you get that?

Anyway, I like how the summer sets look. I love Umarak the Destroyer the best because of his giant size and mask (perhaps a mutated Mask of Control because of the gold color and large gold horns. Weird.).:) Looks like Umarak may still be the main antagonist of the 2016 storyline.Reminds me of how in Spectacular Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man TV shows, where Kraven the Hunter (perhaps Umarak's Marvel counterpart) turns into a bigger monster when he gets something. I have a feeling that Umarak would somehow find something that could turn him into a monster, too.

Ekimu the Mask Maker has beautiful trans-blue pieces, including his new Mask of Creation. I can see that he somehow will turn into a Toa because of his height.:) I don't know how he will turn into this form. Perhaps the trans-blue represents that he is supercharged with energy that enlarges him?

The Beasts look cool, but would have looked better. The legs are strange for how are they built. I like the blades, claws, their transparent pieces, and Storm Beast's tail with a Shadow on the tip, however. The Quake Beast is what I like the most. Their faces look menacing, and I like that. Their faces also remind me of Aquagon from Hero Factory. Plus, I can see new corrupted-looking Toa Uniter masks that have an opaque color and a trans-yellow color. Only Tahu, Kopaka, and Onua's masks have these versions. I don't know why there are three medium-sized villain sets instead of six. Doesn't feel traditional. Last year, we only had four sets with Kopaka, Lewa, Pohatu, and Onua's masks, and now why are there three with Tahu, Kopaka, and Onua's masks. Why not six medium-sized villain sets with all six Toa's masks?:) Let me guess, is it because of the money?

Oh, by the way, I noticed many people noticed that the Journey to One show will be released in March 4th. Bummer that it is not coming this month. Sorry.:(

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Of the summer sets, I honestly am looking forward to Lava Beast most, because it's the one I'm least iffy on. The lower legs are a bit plain and bony, and I'm not sure I like how any of the heads have been done, but overall it seems solid.

The others, ehhh... Ekimu is rather plain, though the trans mask of creation seems interesting. Storm Beast and Quake Beast both seem rather... slapdash? Not severely, but enough that I'm not a fan of them. They're just... not very attractive. In particular, I have no idea what's going on with Quake Beast's right shoulder, but it... doesn't look good.

Umarak the Destroyer is... big, that's for sure. I'm not a fan of the lower legs, which have a similar issue to his Hunter form in that they just feel very out of place. Rectangular and technic-y alongside mostly CCBS aesthetic. It feels off to me. He also has Axonn's hand proportions, which I'm not sure I like. They look rather gappy and off to me, though maybe I need to see them in person. And while I appreciate what they're trying to do with the mask, those horns just... aren't doing it for me. If they could have made the technic bits gold, perhaps, and/or made them thicker, it would look far better.

And from what I can see from this front view, I'm not sure I'll like what I might see on the back.