Do U Think There Should've Been More To Bionicle?

Jonathan Crane

It definitely should've had more sets. There were many awesome characters, like Helryx, Lariska, Kojol, the baterra and the Sisters of the Skrall, who missed out. Worse, the baterra were just about to become sets before they made the decision!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Yeah, I think there could have been a lot more. I understand that the Element Lords were planned for release this year, but the decision to end the line killed those plans, as well as those for the next couple movies. We missed out on a lot, so I hope they make the decision to bring it back sometime soon.signoffffff.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I think there could've been more books. Like the canceled book about the Toa Inika's trip through the cord that connected Voya Nui to Mahri Nui. Or maybe a book that told more stories about the MU when Teridax was in control of it. That would've been cool.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

There could have been more to BIONICLE. But personally, I think it pretty much covered everything important as far as sets and story were concerned. It told a cohesive storyline between 2001 and 2010, finally ending with Makuta Teridax being defeated. Sure, there could have been more stories told. There would be more potential stories until the BIONICLE universe ends. But that doesn't mean they need to be told. Drag the story on past its logical conclusion (Mata Nui's destiny fulfilled, Matoran and Agori at peace) and it just becomes bloated.I don't mean to criticize Greg Farshtey's serials since BIONICLE's main saga wrapped up. I'm sure they tell a quite thrilling story, just as all of his writing has done. But I have not taken the time to read them and do not have any pressing interest in doing so, because for me they are just "extra" story for those who hadn't gotten enough by the conclusion of Journey's End. And I, for one, felt Journey's End was an excellent capstone to a brilliant saga.

Who is U? :P

It definitely should've had more sets. There were many awesome characters, like Helryx, Lariska, Kojol, the baterra and the Sisters of the Skrall, who missed out. Worse, the baterra were just about to become sets before they made the decision!

I agree. I wish we would of had the chance to see more characters in set form, especially the Element Lords and the Great Beings. But, I think Aanchir is right when he says that what they did with Bionicle was good enough.Still, those extra-tidbits (and maybe more comics) would have been nice. Who knows? If Bionicle ever comes back, we might see something similar happen.(Unless they make an exclusive Hero Factory Baterra/Great Beings set).

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2 

There could have been more to BIONICLE. But personally, I think it pretty much covered everything important as far as sets and story were concerned. It told a cohesive storyline between 2001 and 2010, finally ending with Makuta Teridax being defeated. Sure, there could have been more stories told. There would be more potential stories until the BIONICLE universe ends. But that doesn't mean they need to be told. Drag the story on past its logical conclusion (Mata Nui's destiny fulfilled, Matoran and Agori at peace) and it just becomes bloated.I don't mean to criticize Greg Farshtey's serials since BIONICLE's main saga wrapped up. I'm sure they tell a quite thrilling story, just as all of his writing has done. But I have not taken the time to read them and do not have any pressing interest in doing so, because for me they are just "extra" story for those who hadn't gotten enough by the conclusion of Journey's End. And I, for one, felt Journey's End was an excellent capstone to a brilliant saga.

I strongly disagree with this post. I mean, Journey's End just felt wrong to me. For one, it didn't tie up all the major lose ends that I felt needed tied up. Whole characters were left as mysteries, events left unexplained. The Golden Skin Being, the Red Star, The Shadowed One and the virus. The people in the GB fortress. That's what really got to me. Usually, when a story concludes, it resolves the theme and all the major plot threads (at least those the audience cares about). Sure, the heroes might go on to a future in Spherus Magna and some uncertain future, but don't leave those giant plot holes hanging! It didn't feel like a conclusion. It wrapped up the most major plot thread and explained a lot, but it didn't explain enough. So I felt shortchanged in the fact that the "ending" didn't cover all the mystery, intrigue and plot that was Bionicle. Bloated? Please, more like trying to patch a large hole with a small patch. Now, I would understand why all the serial plot threads weren't magically resolved in Journey's End, but it would have been nice if they had just had one final set of serials that would have tied up those holes. So far, they have sort of tried that, but it has flopped. This is all my opinion, of course. So yes, there definitely should have been more. At least enough to cover the plot threads, and enough conclusiveness to actually conclude the line. Journey's End failed in that.

(Unless they make an exclusive Hero Factory Baterra/Great Beings set).

If they did this and it was true to Bionicle, I'd still buy the sets and call them Bionicle sets.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Yes and no. Do I think there COULD have been more to BIONICLE? Absolutely. There's a wealth of stories that never got told, characters that never got seen, etc. I don't think anybody would argue that.SHOULD there have been more to BIONICLE? I'd say not really. If it had continued on, I would have welcomed the new sets and the new story, but they would have been precisely that; new. Once we move past something, we rarely revisit it (at least, in terms of the sets). Even if BIONICLE came back, we wouldn't see any of the old characters as sets unless it was relevant, and then they would still be "new" in the sense that they need to be different to move the story along. And there's only so many sets we can receive in a year, anyway. I think BIONICLE did just fine with the sets that it produced, and to expect more is honestly a bit ungrateful.Should there have been more to the story? Again, yes and no. There's a lot of mysteries that didn't get resolved; while I don't expect (nor want) to get every answer to every thing in BIONICLE, there are some mysteries that stand to be resolved. LOST faced a similar problem in the network run; raising more questions than answers, or simply not dishing out enough answers. BIONICLE had its share of questions that, arguably, didn't need to be raised at all, and so could be deemed as less "important" on the scale of things that people should know. There are a fair few things I'd like to know, and the hope is that the serials would at least, in part, answer some of them.

I totally think there should have been more to bionicle especially with how they ended it. There was so much potential in spherus-magna. And i don't know about you guys but I would have liked a great being to come out as a set.But yes I wished they would have continued the theme.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Well, "yes" and "maybe not but probably". :PYes -- if you ask it like this -- "Is it possible more could have been done and been successful?"If LEGO could have known magically where additions would have been successful, I'm sure there was plenty of room for them.The trick comes in how hard it can be to know ahead of time what will succeed and what will be a waste of money. If I imagine myself in LEGO's shoes, I must admit I'm hard pressed to imagine what more they could have reasonably done. They went all out, more so than ever before, carrying the line for ten years with a continuity unseen previously, adding a story, then expanding it into all these other media, and even retrying movies after they died out the first time.But I CAN think of some things -- like something much closer to the style of the MNOG done in later years. Simple gameplay, very few chores, and fun along the way. They did do things that were vaguely similar, but all of them upped the tediousness of chores a lot more than MNOG.There was probably room for a few more sets.Especially if they had collaborated a bit more closely with the story team and found more excuses to release sets of fan-fave characters (like they did with Lhikan).But with sets I do see only a little clear wiggle room. I've looked into their process as closely as an outsider probably can, and they do careful research into the set side, and it seems very difficult to me to suppose they missed any major glaring opportunities.Could they have continued Bionicle's sets longer? Probably, but it's obvious a decline was occuring due to how old the line felt, and LEGO has been for kids for a long time. It's what they do best, and I think they learned the hard way that they should be focusing on new, in order to keep new generations of kids coming in. I wish it wasn't that way, being an AFOL, but it is, and that's not in LEGO's control.The huge yes -- they could do something differently -- comes IF they don't bring it back. That would be a bad decision IMO, as (for reasons I've outlined before on the old forum) it has a lot of potential value as both new to the youngest and familiar to the old. And I have been lately sensing that the ideal time to return is very close, if not now. I could easily be wrong about the timing though. :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I strongly disagree with this post.I mean, Journey's End just felt wrong to me. For one, it didn't tie up all the major lose ends that I felt needed tied up. Whole characters were left as mysteries, events left unexplained. The Golden Skin Being, the Red Star, The Shadowed One and the virus. The people in the GB fortress. That's what really got to me. Usually, when a story concludes, it resolves the theme and all the major plot threads (at least those the audience cares about). Sure, the heroes might go on to a future in Spherus Magna and some uncertain future, but don't leave those giant plot holes hanging! It didn't feel like a conclusion. It wrapped up the most major plot thread and explained a lot, but it didn't explain enough. So I felt shortchanged in the fact that the "ending" didn't cover all the mystery, intrigue and plot that was Bionicle. Bloated? Please, more like trying to patch a large hole with a small patch. Now, I would understand why all the serial plot threads weren't magically resolved in Journey's End, but it would have been nice if they had just had one final set of serials that would have tied up those holes. So far, they have sort of tried that, but it has flopped.This is all my opinion, of course. So yes, there definitely should have been more. At least enough to cover the plot threads, and enough conclusiveness to actually conclude the line. Journey's End failed in that.
You have many good points. I agree that many of these plot threads never got a chance to be resolved thanks to the ending of BIONICLE getting pushed ahead. Still, keep in mind that most of these plot threads that didn't get wrapped up were merely "side-stories" told in the serials, and not essential to the main plot. It's a real shame that serial updates have gotten more and more sparse as time has gone on, and if these stories could have been concluded in some way then I would have welcomed it. But I feel that they would have needed to be concluded in the serials-- it was not Journey's End's place to follow up on plotlines that a more casual fan of the story might never have heard of.Someday perhaps I'll look into the serials that are still running. Frankly, your post makes me a bit curious about what direction these "side-stories" have gone, even if they're no closer to a conclusion than they were before. But I still feel that the conclusion of the main plot of BIONICLE has basically come and gone. I am putting forth an effort not to dismiss the more recent serials as "filler", because that would be an insult to Greg's work, but like the serials before them, however brilliantly-written they were, they are merely supplemental to the main BIONICLE saga.

I totally think there should have been more to bionicle especially with how they ended it. There was so much potential in spherus-magna. And i don't know about you guys but I would have liked a great being to come out as a set.But yes I wished they would have continued the theme.

Nah, a Great Being set would have ruined it for me.

The huge yes -- they could do something differently -- comes IF they don't bring it back. That would be a bad decision IMO, as (for reasons I've outlined before on the old forum) it has a lot of potential value as both new to the youngest and familiar to the old. And I have been lately sensing that the ideal time to return is very close, if not now. I could easily be wrong about the timing though. :shrugs:

While I agree it's possible the line will return some day, I don't feel LEGO would feel now is an ideal time. Ninjago and Hero Factory are working rather well for them in the "story/action" department, and Bionicle really hasn't been off the shelves that long (I remember seeing some of the sets at a Target January of this year). As for if it should have had more to it before cancellation - we know there were at least some plans for storylines past what we got of Mata Nui's time on Bara Magna, so there were ideas waiting in the wings. An extra year focusing on Mata Nui might have worked decently - as it stands, the story's conclusion was rather abrupt, going from the comparatively self-contained story on Bara Magna to the continuity smash-up that was the ending without much breathing room. Unfortunately, it seems the cold reality is that it just wasn't doing well enough to get a chance for those stories to be told - after all, they had a movie (a fairly large investment) in 2009, yet the line was axed not long after. Presumably, the higher-ups decided any "revitalization" of Bionicle the shift in setting was supposed to bring hadn't panned out enough.As for older media, a 2006-2008 movie would have been nice, though if I'm not mistaken those years were rather continuity-heavy - and the more continuity you have to fit into a film, the less likely it is it'll get the green light.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I think that 1.They should have made more movies & 2. They should have made the 4th movie better.wearewaiting.gif

'"White!" he sneered. "It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken."

'"In which case it is no longer white," said I. "And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

--- Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings

To the JE discussion: Journey's End was decent - it did not wrap up everything, but if it did, we'd have people screaming and carrying on about how it was too rushed. It tied up the main threads, but to fuel the serialized story, you have to have some continuity from the story immediately before and not wrap up slightly unfinished things from half a decade ago.I don't want to say that there couldn't have been, or shouldn't have been - but I, for one, would feel the story way too dragged out had it continued into the present day. We couldn't have possibly gotten the awesome HF 2.0 builds in BIONICLE - heck, it took HF two waves to get it going.I do wish a full end had been made. Three movies to cover Mata Nui on Bara Magna would have been a little too much, but two would have been good. As it was, the end felt hollow and rushed, and the cancellation was, IMO, rather abrupt. From a business standpoint, I admire LEGO on a number of facets, but I cannot say that the way that handled BIONICLE's end was good. Another year, maybe another movie, and everything would have been good. As it was, we get Agori, two waves of Glatorian, more vehicles than you can launch a Thornax at, and then the next year, six impulse sets and rushed story.tl;dr: Continuing it past the truly final battle would have been silly, unless the story was changed so there were other hordes of baddies to whoop tush on, but the actual final battle was quite lame.If it's ever rebooted, LEGO should use the same universe, maybe even the same characters - but have it so far removed from the initial story as to make it easier for new fans to jump in.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

2006, 2007 and 2008 would have made great movies, as well as there should have been a ton more sets, like the Baterra.

i really think there should have been movies for those years for two reasons1 Those years were very crucial to the fate of the matoran universe where as the 2004 and 2005 movies were focused before even the toa mata awakened.2 I really would have liked to see vamprah and mantax in their cgi form and the rest of the makuta even krika would have looked amazing in cgi form.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I think BIONICLE should have continued as it was until 2011. With the movies, sets and the storylines it would have had (ie, 2010 as the VotM, 2011 Bota Magna) But it didn't, and that's okay. It would have been better than the ridiculous wrap up it got.I don't want it to come back, though.

AXKP5KC.png

I think we've all gotten plenty. Bionicle was probably (so far) the most mass-marketed brand in Lego's history, with movies, comics, books, an incredibly intricate storyline, keychains and apparel, and not to mention all the sets of course. No Lego toy brand prior to Bionicle has ever recieved such treatment, and after taking this enormous risk, Bionicle has completely changed the way TLG does business. So yes, there could have been more, certainly, but there also might have been much less had Lego chickened out and went with the traditional approch.Nowadays, when you look at Hero Factory and Ninjago, with TV shows, books, etc., it's a little hard to realize that less then 15 years ago you pretty much had the sets and your imagination.

I think it really needed a TV show. I've said this a lot already, but I think the problem was not with the story, but the way the story was told. Books and DVDs require your audience to spend effort and money to get to the story. TV shows do not. By all means keep the books and DVDs, but they should be treated as supplementary material, not the core media.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I think it really needed a TV show. I've said this a lot already, but I think the problem was not with the story, but the way the story was told. Books and DVDs require your audience to spend effort and money to get to the story. TV shows do not. By all means keep the books and DVDs, but they should be treated as supplementary material, not the core media.

I can see what you mean by this, (and agree that it would be the best way to present story material) but I also see why this was never done.TV shows are always in a constant sate of change: fighting for what time they air, on what channel they air, at how good the ratings are. They also require a lot more people to make work. If Bionicle didn't have such a massive story it wouldn't have been all that bad, (I'm looking at you Hero Factory.) but to have such an involving plot like Bionicle's rapped up in a TV show just doesn't seem possible for a company like Lego. In my opinion, if the company did try to go with a TV show they would have even more problems trying to keep Bionicle out of the money pitfall.Just my $0.02. Edited by ankyfdarkness

silverbladebanner.jpg

I think it should have had a lot more. As Alyska said, a TV show would have suited it, and probably would have brought in heaps more fans. But for now, we have to put up with what we've got.EDIT: Just saw what ankyfdarkness said, and I see a lot of sense in that. New fans would bring in more money, but whether or not it would be enough would be the problem. Still, it could technically work.

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

I think it had so much more potential, that was just untapped. The biggest problem for Bionicle was the fact that it was based off of a line of toys designed by Lego, which held it back massively and will now do so until the very end. It's amazing how it created this vast universe with multiple species, but only got to introduce them as the story demanded. If it hadn't been held back by Lego it might have been able to achieve so much more, and would probably still be going to this day.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

I would have liked to have seen a final movie to act as a send-off for Bionicle. Obviously more sets would be nice, but I was totally okay with it ending when it did, I was just mad at it ending how it did. I really wanted a better send-off.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I would have liked to have seen a final movie to act as a send-off for Bionicle. Obviously more sets would be nice, but I was totally okay with it ending when it did, I was just mad at it ending how it did. I really wanted a better send-off.-don't touch my pocket protector

Frankly, I'm grateful we got as much as we did. Consider how Exo-Force ended without any books and with only one comic that didn't even arrive at a conclusion. The thing is, a merchandise-driven story isn't going to get a particularly grand finale most of the time, since the reason it's ending is that the merchandise isn't selling that well. While TLG cut their costs to maximize profit, as any smart company would do with a dying theme, they also provided a full book to conclude the story, and when that book couldn't be published in all countries they made it available online.And that's not even mentioning the fact that TLG made the last wave of sets a tribute to the many years of sets and story that had come previously. Not everyone liked the BIONICLE Stars, but the fact remains that more than any other wave of sets before, they were designed with dedicated fans in mind. Those that weren't familiar characters were characters who had been mentioned or alluded to in the story but never seen as sets (part of which owes itself to Binkmeister's caring intervention). In general, I appreciate that we got what we did even as the theme was consigned to its deathbed and probably too weak to give us much more.

I'd say it lived its lifespan. What would the sets be? They would probably keep on repeating the same characters for the next five years if they continued it any longer. And I don't believe they would start just making different characters into sets, to be honest. Still, I think they slightly crammed the story ending into one package and shipped it off as that without taking a second look - they were probably eager to bring in a new toyline to replace the ten-year-old Bionicle story, we don't really know for sure.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

now here a point my mother brought up: How much money is lego making now that they stopped the bionicle toyline? I would honestly say that i think the are making less since bionicle was a major success for them and was also a major mile stone for them as well since they were the first lego theme to have other forms of media like Movies, Books, games ,comics and more. it would be amazing to see their documents regarding their sales and income during 2009 the last big bionicle year and what it is now after they ended bionicle.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

now here a point my mother brought up: How much money is lego making now that they stopped the bionicle toyline? I would honestly say that i think the are making less since bionicle was a major success for them and was also a major mile stone for them as well since they were the first lego theme to have other forms of media like Movies, Books, games ,comics and more.it would be amazing to see their documents regarding their sales and income during 2009 the last big bionicle year and what it is now after they ended bionicle.

BIONICLE was a huge success for them, but I wouldn't say it was still a major success in its later years. Their City and Star Wars lines were much more successful by the point that the line was cancelled.A 2007 Annual Report stated that "The sales increases are still driven by the classic product lines LEGO City, LEGO Technic and LEGO Creator as well as LEGO Star Wars, which is well on its way to become another classic line. BIONICLE is still one of the LEGO Group’s best selling product lines, although the line did not show any growth in 2007." The 2008 Annual Report mentions all of these successful product lines, adding Indiana Jones but never mentioning BIONICLE anywhere in the document. The 2009 Annual Report again mentions the success of City, Creator, and Star Wars, as well as the new LEGO Power Miners and LEGO Games themes. BIONICLE again is not mentioned among these successful lines, or in fact anywhere in the document.It's hard to say exactly what impact ending BIONICLE and bringing in Hero Factory had on their sales, but their net profit for 2010 had increased more from 2009 than their net profit for 2009 had increased from 2008. All in all it doesn't look like TLG has suffered any because they ended BIONICLE. And with the overwhelming success of Hero Recon Team, it doesn't look like the introduction of Hero Factory has done badly at all, either. BIONICLE was special for its time, but since then TLG has been able to take many of the lessons they learned from BIONICLE (both from its strengths and its weaknesses) and apply them to their other themes.

Frankly, I'm grateful we got as much as we did. Consider how Exo-Force ended without any books and with only one comic that didn't even arrive at a conclusion. The thing is, a merchandise-driven story isn't going to get a particularly grand finale most of the time, since the reason it's ending is that the merchandise isn't selling that well. While TLG cut their costs to maximize profit, as any smart company would do with a dying theme, they also provided a full book to conclude the story, and when that book couldn't be published in all countries they made it available online.And that's not even mentioning the fact that TLG made the last wave of sets a tribute to the many years of sets and story that had come previously. Not everyone liked the BIONICLE Stars, but the fact remains that more than any other wave of sets before, they were designed with dedicated fans in mind. Those that weren't familiar characters were characters who had been mentioned or alluded to in the story but never seen as sets (part of which owes itself to Binkmeister's caring intervention). In general, I appreciate that we got what we did even as the theme was consigned to its deathbed and probably too weak to give us much more.
Yes, but Exo-Force wasn't around for 10 years. Bionicle is unique. And if Lego can't end its lines in a proper manner, that's its own problem. If Lego had put more effort into the ending, actually made the serials end with the ending, made the ending more developed with a full ending, then they would have less disgusted people out here on BZPower discontent and asking if there should be more.I guess it wasn't worth it to them.

Yes, but Exo-Force wasn't around for 10 years. Bionicle is unique. And if Lego can't end its lines in a proper manner, that's its own problem. If Lego had put more effort into the ending, actually made the serials end with the ending, made the ending more developed with a full ending, then they would have less disgusted people out here on BZPower discontent and asking if there should be more.I guess it wasn't worth it to them.
BIONICLE was unique. But it, like Exo-Force, was a dying theme. TLG was under no obligation to give it any special treatment, and by doing so, they actually risked LOSING money by making additional investments that might not pay off. They would have been safer putting those same investments towards the themes that would be continuing or beginning in the future, like Hero Factory. I feel taking that risk was mighty admirable of them.TLG put a really great amount of effort into ending BIONICLE well. And there's no way they could please everyone. There are a lot of people who wouldn't have been happy with the ending no matter how they did it, because their expectations for a capstone to a series as big as BIONICLE would have been impossibly high. Consider that when Avatar: The Last Airbender ended, despite many aspects of its ending having been planned since the beginning, and despite its finale being a work of art, some people still found it sloppy and poorly-written.Consider also that the reason the serials continued after BIONICLE's end was because of the fans who weren't satisfied with the conclusion and who wanted more BIONICLE. Again, TLG can't please everyone, so they tried to please as many people as they could by creating additional story that those dissatisfied with the ending might be able to enjoy and those satisfied with the ending (like myself) could either enjoy or disregard. That's mighty respectable, especially considering how many of those dissatisfied BIONICLE fans would never be likely to move on to other LEGO themes and thus continue to contribute to the company's success. At this point, if Greg were to add a new serial update, it would be largely out of the goodness of his heart.All in all, no, giving BIONICLE a bigger ending wasn't worth it to TLG. But giving it the ending it had probably wasn't worth it to them. What's amazing is that they did it anyway.

^ First, congratulations on the really eloquent post.Second, while I have to admire TLG's commitment to the effort they placed into ending it, they didn't actually end the story. That's what irritated me. The story serial plotline threads didn't end with the main plot thread. I am sorry if I did not make this clear - in fact, I am sure I didn't, and I apologize for it. By 2008, I wanted to get away from Bionicle, but I just wanted to know how the thing ended, and how we got there. I admired the plot twist at the end of 2008, it was awesome. The MU residents walking off into the sunset didn't annoy me as much as all the things that were left unresolved - the story serials are still going on, and there is still is stuff left unresolved there. I've been strung along and then left to wait for a resolution that will never come. TLG could have resolved the major story serial plot points and left room for a Bionicle return in the future - in fact, leaving those threads unresolved could cause problems if they ever try to bring it back, because the older fans will want to know, and those points will have to be resolved somehow (if they bring it back). When one ends a book, unless there is a sequel, you wrap up everything and leave the audience with a satisfying resolution that covers all relevant stuff. I could understand how the serial plot points would take a bit longer to resolve, but Lego has withdrawn all support from them, dumping GregF with an impossible task. TLG encouraged GregF to write the serials in the first place, but they didn't give him the wherewithal to finish them. This is all just my opinion on the matter. Should there have been more to Bionicle? No, there didn't need to be, but they needed to resolve what they had. And I think those who "wanted more Bionicle" would have taken their lumps and walked out had the serials actually been resolved in a satisfying manner. There would be a few Bring Back Bionicle dissidents, but not near as many, and a conclusion would have robbed them of numbers, since there would be fewer people around discussing Bionicle because there would be little to no major things unresolved to theorize about. Third, how much more would it have cost them to resolve the serials, to tell us what would happen to the people in the Chamber of the of the Mad Great Being and what happened to the Shadowed One and who the Golden Being was? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Maybe the Red Star would have taken a slightly longer resolution, but they have to drag it out, and drag it out, and drag it out! And now they have cut us off from a few simple answers that they could have given us without spending more money on a failing line.And if they hadn't given us the ending they had, people would have been furious, and no one would risk getting involved in a Lego franchise again (Look at all those Bionicle fans.Lego strung them along for ten years and couldn't even give them a decent ending) . People threatened to storm Billund over this ending. If Lego hadn't given Bionicle at least this ending, it might have actually happened.I'm sorry, I went off on a rant. I hope my point was made clear, and I don't mean anything against those who think differently, but this topic asked for what I thought, and I hope my readers have it.