Official 2012 Set Discussion

Mesonak

Geez Louise. I heard a lot of complaints about the Heroes not having a lot of armor, but talk about an over-reaction! And what is with the launchers - which I thought a lot of people weren't too happy about, and the 1.0 heads? I think the smaller villains look cool, but not enough to justify the high price tag. And the Phantom guy just reminds me of Hewkii. Really.

Edited by fishers64

What do you mean "high price tag"? In the next wave it doesn't work like that.From what I've seen, there will be three sizes of sets. First, small sets, consisting of Surge, Evo, Toxic Reapa, Thornraxx, and Jawblade. Next, medium-sized sets, consisting of Furno, Breez, Rocka, and Splitface. And then Black Phantom, who I believe is the only large boxed set.

The villains are much cooler (on so many levels) this time. Well, ignoring Black Phantom (who's cool, but uncreative and not anything special) and Splitface (whose only reason for existing is the Two-Face gimmick).The colors!The creative design!The cohesive appearance! (Well, other than Thornraxx's color scheme)The rare parts!

I don't see why people dislike Thornraxx's color scheme so much. It's a pretty normal color scheme from my perspective: a primary color, a contrasting secondary color, and a couple neutral colors. The only thing arguably throwing it off is the transparent red of his eyes and tail. For the most part, it's as cohesive as most of the Visorak color schemes.
I like his color scheme, it's just very weird and disjointed, and not exactly the epitome of "cohesive".In a good way.

I actually think Toxic Reapa looks more like Corroder, given the black and green color scheme, along with the pose (though minus the awesomeness of sliding down the side of a building.) Two quick questions before I go:1: Where was it confirmed they were completely eliminating canisters?2: Do we know whether the sets will be seen in stores in time for Christmas? (I know they generally do start appearing around December, but some confirmation would be nice, since I'm going to ask for several of these for Christmas.)

rarity-with-wings.jpgrarity-heart.png <<Newest Chibi: Nuparu Inika

I actually think Toxic Reapa looks more like Corroder, given the black and green color scheme, along with the pose (though minus the awesomeness of sliding down the side of a building.) Two quick questions before I go:1: Where was it confirmed they were completely eliminating canisters?2: Do we know whether the sets will be seen in stores in time for Christmas? (I know they generally do start appearing around December, but some confirmation would be nice, since I'm going to ask for several of these for Christmas.)

The stated release date on some online stores is January, so yes, they should be out by Christmas (sets tend to begin showing up at least a month before their stated release dates). Can't say for sure if that applies for all stores, though. The thing about canisters being eliminated comes from the retailers' catalogs. Not sure if I should say more because those are technically confidential-- is discussion on that information still forbidden, or does it not matter now that the actual images of the sets have been divulged?

The stated release date on some online stores is January, so yes, they should be out by Christmas (sets tend to begin showing up at least a month before their stated release dates). Can't say for sure if that applies for all stores, though. The thing about canisters being eliminated comes from the retailers' catalogs. Not sure if I should say more because those are technically confidential-- is discussion on that information still forbidden, or does it not matter now that the actual images of the sets have been divulged?
Ah, good. I was wondering whether they would be out for Christmas. And what do you mean "retailers catalogs"? What catalogs?

My first (and currently ONLY) MOC on BZP! >

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=5426

PLAGUE

14780599_c638_625x625.jpg

Avatar pic taken [and edited] by me. DON"T STEAL IT!

:P

Teridax's Thornax launcher is either light grey or pearl grey, not silver. The extra joint on the shoulder looks a bit superfluous, IMO. In the Rocka image in the background, it's obvious that the Y-joint tip protrudes from the hex-shield, which is a pity. The lowness of Teridax's chest makes me sad. Breez has an old foot on her back as armor, and Two-Face (as well as, possibly, Rocka) has a new foot on his back as armor. Iron-grey feet are nice. I'll probably do some part exchange with Evo 2.0 for Evo 4.0, though. Thornraxx has one of those waspix connector bits, he looks like an interesting build. He is so going to sell well.Only sockets and lower arms in azure, though, which is a pity. Reapa's chest design looks potentially bad. Jaws looks like a good source of parts. I can say with almost complete confidence that the chest patterns are stickers, which is good, because I'd sort of like 2.0 armor on top of a 4.0 chest, which would be hard to do well with patterned chests. If Two-Face has stickers and not printing, that would be optimal for this endeavour. And a pain in the burro for anybody not wanting to do that.

you really need to work on your naming... TERIDAX??? are you serious? Twoface? Jaws? I don't even...

LlqByyh.png

Teridax's Thornax launcher is either light grey or pearl grey, not silver. The extra joint on the shoulder looks a bit superfluous, IMO. In the Rocka image in the background, it's obvious that the Y-joint tip protrudes from the hex-shield, which is a pity. The lowness of Teridax's chest makes me sad. Breez has an old foot on her back as armor, and Two-Face (as well as, possibly, Rocka) has a new foot on his back as armor. Iron-grey feet are nice. I'll probably do some part exchange with Evo 2.0 for Evo 4.0, though. Thornraxx has one of those waspix connector bits, he looks like an interesting build. He is so going to sell well.Only sockets and lower arms in azure, though, which is a pity. Reapa's chest design looks potentially bad. Jaws looks like a good source of parts. I can say with almost complete confidence that the chest patterns are stickers, which is good, because I'd sort of like 2.0 armor on top of a 4.0 chest, which would be hard to do well with patterned chests. If Two-Face has stickers and not printing, that would be optimal for this endeavour. And a pain in the burro for anybody not wanting to do that.

you really need to work on your naming... TERIDAX??? are you serious? Twoface? Jaws? I don't even...
Well, Black Phantom looks like Teridax to me, and Two-Face and Jaws are kind of obvious.So yes, I'm serious.

Ah, good. I was wondering whether they would be out for Christmas. And what do you mean "retailers catalogs"? What catalogs?
Retailers' catalogs are catalogs provided to retail stores by LEGO so they can decide which sets and themes they plan to carry. Retailers' catalogs are thus released before the sets are actually revealed to the general public, and often don't even have finalized pics of the sets inside them, but they don't usually need to-- the pics are only there so that, for instance, a toy store owner can decide how many Ninjago spinners they want to order for their store. Retailers are typically under a non-disclosure agreement, and aren't supposed to share images from the catalogs, but some obviously do and that's how many images with "preliminary" watermarks tend to wind up online. We're usually not allowed to discuss those images on BZPower, though.

You know, I hate that new superhero line of sets Lego are doing, but Split-Face is so blatantly a rip off of Two-Face, I think I have to get the Batman figure, just so I can make a stop motion of Batman running up and punching Split-Face right in the jaw. I'm sure it'll be worth it.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Black Phantom is buy-worthy for syre. The armored him far better than the prelim. Also, I'm wondering why most of the heroes are $13 now. The whole "more" pieces thing?

Yes, they're more expensive because they have more pieces and larger pieces. They're all fully armored (contrast 2.0 and 3.0 heroes, especially Bulk), have longer limb pieces, armor in new places (e.g. Breez's Samus armor and back armor), and have more weapons. Also, Furno has a propeller pack.The "sarcasm quotes" imply you believe they're the same size, which they aren't.
It wasn't being sarcastic, it's just I was referring to a subject in which I didn't really know how to explain or well... refer to. But what I thought was that they'd stay the same as they were trying to reduce packaging, and the fact that 2.0 and 3.0s had double the 1.0 piece amount for the same cost too.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

Black Phantom is buy-worthy for syre. The armored him far better than the prelim. Also, I'm wondering why most of the heroes are $13 now. The whole "more" pieces thing?

Yes, they're more expensive because they have more pieces and larger pieces. They're all fully armored (contrast 2.0 and 3.0 heroes, especially Bulk), have longer limb pieces, armor in new places (e.g. Breez's Samus armor and back armor), and have more weapons. Also, Furno has a propeller pack.The "sarcasm quotes" imply you believe they're the same size, which they aren't.
It wasn't being sarcastic, it's just I was referring to a subject in which I didn't really know how to explain or well... refer to. But what I thought was that they'd stay the same as they were trying to reduce packaging, and the fact that 2.0 and 3.0s had double the 1.0 piece amount for the same cost too.
Maybe they would have, but they have about as many pieces as the small boxed villains of 2012, so a smaller price wouldn't really make sense.And also, having 8 of the 10 sets be $8 would probably not be very profitable.

AXKP5KC.png

Last wave of sets, 3.0, I said that HF were going in the right direction. I think they've got there this time. The system now works pretty fluidly, which is great. Good designs, good pieces, and certainly some good concepts for the villains. Bit annoyed that the Hero sets have finally gone the way of everything else and have launchers again (though it looks like two villains don't). Interesting that the 3 initial rookies have the same helmets as they started out with (by the looks of it). I'm sure that if I was younger I would have lapped these up as I did for BIONICLE and Slizer and such. They do look pretty cool overall. signoff.png

crickety man.....

good nigh t

lonk

Maybe they would have, but they have about as many pieces as the small boxed villains of 2012, so a smaller price wouldn't really make sense.And also, having 8 of the 10 sets be $8 would probably not be very profitable.
Actually, research tends to show that the smaller sets get purchased more, because of their lower price tags (generally called "impulse sets"), which is why the Heroes are the small sets; easier to market them. But the division they have here is nice. Half small sets, four bigger sets, and one box set. Hopefully we see an exclusive set somewhere down the line, though they seem to have phased those out...

Well, they would obviously sell well, but there's a reason why the price of canister-sized sets evolved from $8 to $13. LEGO still wants its moneys.Though yeah, the balance here is pretty good. It's cool that we finally get more than the 4 bad guys here.

AXKP5KC.png

Another reason for the higher costs of Furno, Breez, Rocka, and Splitface is that they're just bigger than the other sets (besides, of course, Black Phantom). Not too much bigger, but their legs are longer in the very least, and the three larger Heroes are more heavily-outfitted with various gear than their smaller teammates.

Looks like an awesome line, though I think I may pass on Furno, Breez, and Surge just 'cause they don't have the same newness that Evo and Rocka do. The villains are great, and I'm enjoying the different themes. Hopefully, Breakout will carry on into the summer and maybe we can get a new-style Nex out of the whole deal.

plop

What do you mean "high price tag"? In the next wave it doesn't work like that. From what I've seen, there will be three sizes of sets. First, small sets, consisting of Surge, Evo, Toxic Reapa, Thornraxx, and Jawblade. Next, medium-sized sets, consisting of Furno, Breez, Rocka, and Splitface. And then Black Phantom, who I believe is the only large boxed set.

I personally despise this idea of size categorizing prices. I mean really, are rocka, furno, and breez THAT different from the others? It's like saying some heroes are better than others. Same with the villains, though I'm happy the good sets (IMO) are in the small category.

doom4revalt.png

What do you mean "high price tag"? In the next wave it doesn't work like that. From what I've seen, there will be three sizes of sets. First, small sets, consisting of Surge, Evo, Toxic Reapa, Thornraxx, and Jawblade. Next, medium-sized sets, consisting of Furno, Breez, Rocka, and Splitface. And then Black Phantom, who I believe is the only large boxed set.

I personally despise this idea of size categorizing prices. I mean really, are rocka, furno, and breez THAT different from the others? It's like saying some heroes are better than others. Same with the villains, though I'm happy the good sets (IMO) are in the small category.
No, but the designers might have wanted a bit more freedom to add more parts than usual on certain heroes. The sizes aren't all that different (only a little more so than Toa Metru height differences) but Furno, Rocka, and Breez have more equipment than the smaller ones. I personally like the size differences; it makes the sets less uniform. What I don't like is that all of the size differences seem to be achieved by changing the length of the legs, thus possibly harming the proportions, but that's a different matter.

Looks interesting.Rocka looks awesome, but what happened to Surge?!

They don't release every hero in each wave. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

No, but the designers might have wanted a bit more freedom to add more parts than usual on certain heroes. The sizes aren't all that different (only a little more so than Toa Metru height differences) but Furno, Rocka, and Breez have more equipment than the smaller ones. I personally like the size differences; it makes the sets less uniform. What I don't like is that all of the size differences seem to be achieved by changing the length of the legs, thus possibly harming the proportions, but that's a different matter.
Surge and Evo have shorter forearms (which helps rectify the gorilla arm syndrome of BIONICLE that people complained about), but the torsos and such are the same, so it becomes a little awkward somewhere, but I think it's well pulled off overall. And yeah, a big increase in parts from the Heroes is part of it too.

Looks interesting.Rocka looks awesome, but what happened to Surge?!

They don't release every hero in each wave. ;)
Surge is in this wave. I think he was more expressing disbelief at his looks. I actually like his color scheme, although the lime green does threaten to overwhelm it at times.

Hey these sets are decent, but I'm waiting for the rumored 5.0 line, I'm very excited for that!So I guess tihs is a like 3.5 hero line?

As far as I can tell, you're the one starting a rumor about a "5.0" line =P. I have yet to hear about such a thing, and I don't think it exists just yet. Obviously we'll get some leaked info for that relatively soonish (Toyfair is in February, after all), but the winter line is generally out by the time we hear of anything. This could be considered "4.0" (no reason to call it "3.5"), but the line is thematically known as "Breakout", and the Heroes don't actually have 4.0 on the end of their names, which is a big plus for me. I was really on the fence about how they could keep churning numbered Heroes out, but they changed it up, and this looks to be one of my favorite waves.

Another reason for the higher costs of Furno, Breez, Rocka, and Splitface is that they're just bigger than the other sets (besides, of course, Black Phantom). Not too much bigger, but their legs are longer in the very least, and the three larger Heroes are more heavily-outfitted with various gear than their smaller teammates.
Oh. I didn't really pay attention to the size change. Alright then.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

Personally, I'd consider this to be 3.0. The 2.0's were a radically different design from the 1.0's. But the actual 3.0 sets used pretty much the exact same build as 2.0. Since this new wave is a more different look than 2.0, it seems only fitting this should be 3.0. Just my opinion, though. Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

Hey these sets are decent, but I'm waiting for the rumored 5.0 line, I'm very excited for that!So I guess tihs is a like 3.5 hero line?

As far as I can tell, you're the one starting a rumor about a "5.0" line =P. I have yet to hear about such a thing, and I don't think it exists just yet. Obviously we'll get some leaked info for that relatively soonish (Toyfair is in February, after all), but the winter line is generally out by the time we hear of anything. This could be considered "4.0" (no reason to call it "3.5"), but the line is thematically known as "Breakout", and the Heroes don't actually have 4.0 on the end of their names, which is a big plus for me. I was really on the fence about how they could keep churning numbered Heroes out, but they changed it up, and this looks to be one of my favorite waves.
Yeah, I'm glad that it isn't 4.0 from what we can tell. It would get WAY too repetitive. I can't wait until I can add these sets to my Sets Navigation Templates on HEROsector01. :3

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I think too many people expect some sort of pattern among numbered versions-- for instance, each time a version goes up in number, it has to have the same amount of changes to the Hero build. I don't think that really makes sense overall. Consider that between LEGO Digital Designer 2.0 and 3.0, the data structure of LXF files changed entirely. But between LDD 3.0 and 4.0, the changes were much more subtle (even though the interface was still improved). But meanwhile, it seems like the upcoming wave gets rid of that problem entirely by doing away with numbered versions altogether. It makes me wonder what TLG will do if they want to release future sets with characters like Furno and Rocka, but at the same time it ends the constant numbering people were so concerned about before it even had a chance to happen.

Oh PLEASE NO 5.0. Go ahead, I'd love a next wave, but the name 5.0 would ruin it. This wave isn't even called 4.0 (and thank heavens too). And the 3.5 thing sounds a bit ridiculous tbh. If it was 3.5, I would expect some trace of their animal side.

doom4revalt.png

Here’s my official report on HF 2012: This series looks really awesome. It’s cool that several villains are breaking out of Hero Factory itself (I can see Black Phantom rampaging through the Assembly Tower now). I like how many themes are introduced at once, similar to the first HF wave. Now the heroes are given specific upgrades for their solo missions. I don’t like the size differences in the heroes—the larger sets look really good but awkward compared to the 2.0 design. I wonder if there will be a movie for this wave. Rocka: So cool. I didn’t know what to think of him at first, but he’s really grown on me. I love the color choices and that they included trans-lime. He looks mechanical, and I’m very pleased with that (it adds more detail to a normally smooth style). He’s got back armor! The weapon is awesome; I love the ammo running from his back to the launcher. The hero core really suits him. I’m also glad they designed a honeycomb shield that comes from his right arm. Rocka might be my first choice. Breez: Also cool. I like the new armor but wish she didn’t have it—she looks too muscular now. Again, I like the shield and back armor. The new launchers are a big improvement over their wimpy predecessor. Her red and white parts look nice with the green; I also like the two-toned sword. It’s either Breez or Rocka—I have Nex so I feel compelled to get his love interest. :) Furno: Nice colors, I like the silver arm. I think his engines are executed well and a nice twist to the standard builds. I wish he came with another weapon, but I guess his price-per-parts ratio couldn’t allow it. A nice set, my brother will be happy with him. Evo: A neat little set. Really buffed up compared to this year’s heroes. I like the yellow-with-gunmetal color scheme. If you look closely you’ll see he has recolored upper arm and leg bones. The helmet looks cool. Evo is my bro’s favorite character and his first choice. Surge: It looks like there’s too much going on here. The colors are horrible and I wish his arms were blue. IMO the blue blade clashes with his body. I still don’t know why he has that silver armor. The only reason I’d get him is to redesign him as a self-MOC. Black Phantom: This guy is cool. Nice colors, great build, a big improvement over Fire Lord. I don’t mind the titan build—if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. The weapon is wicked. The launcher’s pretty creepy. I think he’s worthy of the price tag; if I have enough money I’ll pick him up. Splitface: There’s not much about Splitface that makes him unique. I really like the concept and the color placement. He looks like the brute of the group. I just wish he had something different. Toxic Reapa: I love this little guy! Reapa’s got an original torso build that looks great. I’ve always liked black and lime together. His face and weapons are very cool. He’ll definitely be my first villain. Jawblade: This set is so crazy I like it. A shark with arms? Why not. The spikes and blades make him look pretty dangerous. The Furno swords are a good recolor. I love the non-human build and can’t wait to see how he’s put together. Thornraxx: I like this guy. His name doesn’t even bother me. A unique build is always welcome. Great design and color scheme. A cool looking set overall. He’ll be my bro’s first villain. Nice lineup for next year; hope these are out by December!

I was really excited for this wave, the theme was unexpected, and the Heroes gained abs.. :D Was expecting one of them (Say Phantom)to rally an army of villains to battle against the Hero Factory organization, but this works too.The new colors and those massive shoulder/knee pads were a plus too. Those big pads could be very useful to me in Mocing.. I don't mind Breez having them as shoulder pads, but it kind of reminds me of a video game or something.. can't put my finger to it. I think if I were to get one Hero to start it would be Evo or Breez. Out of the villains, my favorite would have to be Toxic Reapa. He's the best looking to me, and has loads of Moc-ability with those parts. And the green.. all that glowy green. BP comes in a close second for me, but I'm still not a fan of the "FireLord" leg design. Just noticed BP's background has him inside the HF Assembly Tower..! D: What will this mean for the Heroes?

Edited by Cirkit8

I will definitely not be getting all of these. I am severely disappointed with this wave of sets. See, LEGO set standards for a shark-villain many years ago with Pridak. Jawblade is such a horrid failure that it doesn't even deserve to be called a set. Sure, it has some nice parts, but Pridak left a legacy, and this thing does not live up to it. Black Phantom is just Fire Lord, and nothing, not even a better colour scheme or armour or weapons, can hide that ugly, horrible, worthless skeleton underneath. Witch Doctor left a lot to live up to, given his amazing articulation in places that had always been severely lacking in BIONICLE and Hero Factory. Phantom is just a painted-over Fire Lord, and retains the worst build ever. All the other villains actually have some degree of coolness, so I'll leave it to you guys to identify their good points.Rocka, now, looked great as a lion-Hero, but this thing makes me sick. the only good thing is the trans-lime launcher and the shield, and maybe the amount of gold parts. Other than that, I hate this one. Breez is okay, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to buy her. Evo is great. The only thing I don't like about him is his lack of purple and another weapon, but that massive arm makes up for it. Furno is good, too, but that helmet doesn't belong on a 2.0 build. Surge is a nice set, but he has way too much lime green, and I'm not even sure I like the weapon, though a blue recolour of his old tool is nice. Basically, this line of HF sets is the worst ever, since the others were actually good. 1.0 was a fresh start, and it worked quite well. 2.0 gave us a new build and greater building possibilities. 3.0 enhanced the 2.0 design, and the villains were well-built, and I liked them all. This one, is more than just a step down--this is a 1000 mile drop off a cliff into the burning core of the earth from which there is no return. LEGO, you have failed, and I expected so much more from you. This doesn't mean I won't buy the sets, I'm just gonna buy the precious few good ones. t1ssig.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I think too many people expect some sort of pattern among numbered versions-- for instance, each time a version goes up in number, it has to have the same amount of changes to the Hero build. I don't think that really makes sense overall. Consider that between LEGO Digital Designer 2.0 and 3.0, the data structure of LXF files changed entirely. But between LDD 3.0 and 4.0, the changes were much more subtle (even though the interface was still improved).

My only complaint is that, build-wise, there was no difference between 2 and 3.0. And, I'm assuming only Alpha Team got the animal upgrade, so since it was exclusive to them, it doesn't seem like it should be considered an upgrade (unless I'm mistaken and the whole Factory got the animal upgrade). Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)