Collectibles Resurrection

Ektris

Collectible Resurrection  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been thinking lately about something that many BIONICLE fans and non-fans alike recognize as part of the theme: its collectible nature. More specifically, the masks, the brains, the slugs, even the disks and spinners many love... or hate.

So I come to you with a question. With the possibility of a revived BIONICLE brand on the horizon, what are your thoughts on a true return to form with the revitalization of the beloved collectibles? Do you want to see them back and how prevalent? Or do you never want to suffer the horror of torn boxes and disappointing pulls ever again?

Personally, I remain somewhat undecided. I certainly enjoy having a bunch of masks and see the appeal of it, but definitely have some concerns. Primarily over what efforts could be made to prevent a repeat of theft that seemed to plague the mask packs and possible poor distribution of certain items, making them harder to find. Or just simply the struggle of trying to collect them all.

But I'm just one person, and that's why I'm here - to see what everyone else thinks. Could it work in today's market? How could it best be accomplished? Please, do share your thoughts. :)

~|ET|~

Edited by Electric Turahk

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Primarily over what efforts could be made to prevent a repeat of theft that seemed to plague the mask packs

what?

Back in '01-'03, I constantly found Kanohi/Krana packs with holes punched in them or popped open and emptied Kraata cans. They were absolutely everywhere. Sometimes, they were all that were left on shelves. It made getting them a problem, on top of already being popular items to buy.

I don't know how common of a problem it was for everyone else, but I remember it most distinctly.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

I really regretted never buying the '01 mask packs while they were out just for their MOCing potential. Sure, what we have is great, but it's much easier to make a custom character without someone saying "Hey, that looks like _____!" if you have mask colors not available in sets. It allows more interesting MOCs, creation of characters from MNOLG, and more interesting uses to have randomized mask packs.

I would definitely prefer them to be in the boxes. I remember someone said there could be characters that include 3 masks or an extra weapon, but that would mean in order to collect everything (without Bricklink or trades), you would have to buy multiples of every set, which would get expensive. I'd like just little packages with a few random masks inside for $4-5, so we could attempt to collect everything without burning through our wallets.

It would also be cool to see a mask trading system develop on BZP where members can trade their multiples around.

• Upvote 1

I came into this tihng too late for collectables (the interesting ones anyway) so i'm 100% all for bringing back mask packs (even if they don't have much playability on their own, oh well.)

although, i'd only be totally satisfied if the new kanohi masks are pleasant enough in design. :u

Yeah same I only started collecting properly in 2004 so i completely missed the collectable side of BIONICLE, the only things that could have been considered collectable from 2004 onwards were Kanoka and Rhotuka but those were just not all that collectable, so i would definitely love to see some mask packs or anything like that, that were present in BIONICLE's first 3 years, because those would have been so much fun to collect and try to find the rarest ones.

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

I would love to see the collectible aspect of Bionicle return, but only in the form of randomised mask packs. I am not too keen on the randomised Matoran idea because I think it would be more costly than the mask packs and some people (like me) are not conent with a partial collection (greedy, I know).

I believe mask packs would be more cost efficient and if they were $2.50 like before, it would be far more manageable financially.

(BRING BACK KANOHI :'( )

Yes! In collectible packs! But over in the Bionicle 2015 topic, we think that blindbag Matoran could be a possibility, and I worked out that there are 16 possible different body types, so if there were six masks that a Matoran could have, then there would be 96 different Matoran to collect, and then if there are six different elements that these Matoran could have, then there would be 576 Matoran to get. And each would only have around 16 pieces, not counting weaponry or tools. 

So blindbag Matoran FTW!

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

Absolutely! Well, as long as they're good, like the Kanohi! Getting random different colored Kanohi is awesome!

To prevent theft LEGO could revisit an old concept they once had: LEGO vending machines. They could dispense the collectibles and keep them safe. This way they'll also ensure that they're completely random. They could probably be made smaller than regular vending machines so they can fit in toy aisles in stores. 

Is there such a problem with the LEGO collectible mini-figures? I don't buy them anymore so I don't know. Also it probably depends where the toy store is. But dispensers that keep the packets safe are a nice option, and they can be scaled down to be about the size of a Toys-R-Us LEGO display case!

I'd like them to be like the random kanohi so you get a nice surprise. Perhaps even exclusive printing? I don't know, I love surprises and I don't think it's a fun collectible if you know what it is and have to buy a set for it. If you have no idea what you're getting and there is a large variety of possibilities as to what you might get, you'll keep coming back to see what you get next!

Also random matoran collectibles sound cool but they'd probably have to be as simple as the Tohunga to make the random. And anyway matoran feel like miniature sets rather than small collectibles.

Edited by Banana Gunz

This poll is not that great. There's no middle ground option in the first question for people who don't care, or show a slight preference one way or the other ("Yes, absolutely" and "No, not at all" represent only the two most extreme positions). The second question doesn't include an "either or" option for people who do want the collectibles back and don't care how they get them. And there's no question asking what KIND of collectibles you want—I'd be mildly interested if varied collectible masks appeared again, but I'd be disappointed if we got another series of collectibles as dull as the Kanoka or Rhotuka or as difficult to use creatively as all of the non-mask collectibles like Kraata or Krana.

If the first question DID have middle ground options, I'd vote for one of those. I would be happy if a variety of masks and mask colors were once again obtainable, as they were in 2001, so that you could easily create original characters who were distinct from the main heroes. For the second question I'd vote that I'd prefer the collectibles to appear in sets, since masks alone are limited in their utility—but since the options for the first question are so broken I'm not really able to vote at all.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

This poll is not that great. There's no middle ground option in the first question for people who don't care, or show a slight preference one way or the other ("Yes, absolutely" and "No, not at all" represent only the two most extreme positions). The second question doesn't include an "either or" option for people who do want the collectibles back and don't care how they get them. And there's no question asking what KIND of collectibles you want—I'd be mildly interested if varied collectible masks appeared again, but I'd be disappointed if we got another series of collectibles as dull as the Kanoka or Rhotuka or as difficult to use creatively as all of the non-mask collectibles like Kraata or Krana.

If the first question DID have middle ground options, I'd vote for one of those. I would be happy if a variety of masks and mask colors were once again obtainable, as they were in 2001, so that you could easily create original characters who were distinct from the main heroes. For the second question I'd vote that I'd prefer the collectibles to appear in sets, since masks alone are limited in their utility—but since the options for the first question are so broken I'm not really able to vote at all.

I appreciate your feedback and have updated the polling options appropriately, but I definitely feel you could have been much nicer in doing so.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

I'm not gonna lie, I liked the collectibles when I was younger -- the mask packs were pretty cool and I liked the collecting aspect of something. Then again, I usually get into collecting things (like trading cards, little dragons, books in a series i particularly like) so it might just be my incessant need for little splurge-level items. 

Either way, masks would be cool, or "others" like kraata-esque items, or krana-esque items. Projectiles could be neat if they were like, the kanoka disks? Like, having a design and coloration, code or something that sets them apart from one another and actually worth collecting... versus like, zamors, which came in a stock set of colors and there was really no "collecting" them. 

Yes! They add that extra level of addiction and can sometimes be fun to collect separate to the sets themselves (sometimes it can be hard to get/justify getting all the sets, but something like collectible packs are a fun side thing that you can do with little need for things like tonnes of space etc...). I still have a soft spot for masks (the projectiles never really had enough variety for me to really want to "collect" them) but anything with a strong lore would be awesome. :)

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

I'm not opposed to them coming back. I don't know if I would buy them though. That would depend on what the collectibles were.

I would want them to be random. It wouldn't be fun collecting them otherwise. :)

Kanohi Mask. They are really the only collectibles I would be interested in purchasing if Bionicle returned.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Thanks for fixing the poll questions/answers, ET!

For the first question, I voted "not entirely, but would not be opposed, either". On one hand, I like the idea of having lots of different masks in different colors. But on the other hand, I believe I can get by just fine without them.

For the second question, I said "in sets only". Frankly, I think a pack that includes ONLY collectibles like in the olden days is a poor excuse for a LEGO set. It has no built-in play value of its own, it just enhances the play value of an existing collection (this also applies to some LEGO sets like individual baseplates, but at least with those you know exactly what you're getting and aren't under any pressure to get any more than you need).

However, I would not be at all opposed to collectibles being randomized WITHIN regular sets, like how Bohrok, Bohrok Va, Bohrok-Kal, and Rahkshi included a collectible of a random shape in a predetermined color. In those sets, doing this was no more expensive than including a collectible in a fixed shape would have been, since all Krana breeds and Kraata stages in a given color or color combination were treated as the same element and produced from a single mold. Obviously, Toa should come with a mask specific to that character, but Matoran are a different story — Matoran sets with randomized masks could be a great way for kids to populate their own BIONICLE universe.

As for what kinds of collectibles I wish to see, masks are the main one. Masks are useful — they help define the personality of the characters you use them on, and their appearance can be varied enough that they have decidedly different applications. When I look at collectibles like Krana and Kraata, I am struck by how useless their randomized shapes are for MOCing. I can hardly think of a creation where it would matter which Krana or Kraata shape you use — the differences in their shape and appearance are slight, and they weren't especially prominent on most sets that used them anyway. Only their color really matters. The Kanoka were not much better in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't mind projectiles in sets, but treating them as collectibles seems rather silly to me.

• Upvote 1

I've been a fan since 2001, but I was too young during the first few years to really grasp the concept of collectibles, and by the time I started really getting into it (Late 03) all the good collectibles had come and gone (I was never interested in the ammo packs) .

I'd love to be able to finally collect masks.

Edited by Element Lord of Milk
andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

My wallet is saying no but I'd probably grab a few mask packs if they were to come out (or randomized matoran seem pretty cool as well). I've bought/received Bionicles since they came out in the summer of '01 so I have gotten a few packs of all the collectibles. I only got one, maybe two, of the OG Kaonhi pack as well as two or three of the Krana and one or two of the Krana-Kal/Kanohi Nuva. I do remember seeing punched open boxes at my local Toys R Us and Target stores at the time which was always annoying since the packs were fairly popular to the point where they could be hard to find at the time (I once in awhile would find the boxes still had a mask or head/eye-piece in it which I would pocket).

Interestingly, I've basically assembled a complete '01 Kanohi collection to fill the Toys R Us mask holder I've had for years now (thank you based bricklink) with most of the masks on their way in the mail as of this posting. I already have all of the random original colors from sets like the rahi, matoran/tohunga, and boxed sets as well as the copper Huna, trans-lime Miru, orange Vahi (and gold), and a chrome Hau (as well as the complete Power Pack with box). All that is left really are the European misprints and the Copper Komau but those are lower priority due to their price and the fact the holder only fits the 73 masks from the pack (36 great, 36 noble, and 1 infected hau) but they will probably make their way to me over time...

Again, I'd probably buy a few of the new collectibles if they do happen but probably not try to complete a collection... unless we get re-releases of the original kanohi molds and colors but that is not gonna happen for obvious reasons...

Hail Hydra. Hail Denmark.

I went back through the 2001 to 2003 comics earlier today, and I find that I rather liked the core idea of the 2001 narrative -- the collection of power. And it was cool to feel like those collectibles had a qualitative difference in play. Like, finding the black hau in a box meant that Onua could now use the power of shielding in battle! I found that cool. Even the kanoka discs were cool for that.

I could totally see those back again. Random packs or no.