OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Oh, and I picked up a DK LEGO Book from a garage sale for like a dollar. The BIONICLE section was pretty cool. I wish there was a DK Bionicle encyclopedia of sets. xD

-NotS

I would not be surprised to see something like that at some point. But remember, there are only 13 sets so far, with five more due in summer. That's barely enough to fill one of DK's fancy hardbound volumes. If we get a character encyclopedia, it might not be for several years—keep in mind that even Ninjago didn't get one until its second year, and as a high-profile System theme it introduced far more characters per year than Bionicle could.

It would be nice if they did though. Give some more insight to the Protectors other than with the Lego Mag inserts we've seen. Also more data on the Skull Spiders and their leader in general. If there is something for them since they are basically swarm villains even more so than the Rahi and Bohrok of Gen1.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Oh, and I picked up a DK LEGO Book from a garage sale for like a dollar. The BIONICLE section was pretty cool. I wish there was a DK Bionicle encyclopedia of sets. xD

-NotS

I would not be surprised to see something like that at some point. But remember, there are only 13 sets so far, with five more due in summer. That's barely enough to fill one of DK's fancy hardbound volumes. If we get a character encyclopedia, it might not be for several years—keep in mind that even Ninjago didn't get one until its second year, and as a high-profile System theme it introduced far more characters per year than Bionicle could.

It would be nice if they did though. Give some more insight to the Protectors other than with the Lego Mag inserts we've seen. Also more data on the Skull Spiders and their leader in general. If there is something for them since they are basically swarm villains even more so than the Rahi and Bohrok of Gen1.

I have a feeling the Skull Spiders are going to be abandoned next year. Though, it would be nice to get some additional info out-of-story.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

-NotS

I have a feeling the Skull Spiders are going to be abandoned next year. Though, it would be nice to get some additional info out-of-story.

How much you want to bet we never get any real depth about the Skull Spiders?

Edited by moamahrimatoro

cringe

I'll be really sad if the golden Skull Spider Mask gets literally no appearance in the story after being featured in a set and having its function be described on the website.

You really think so? :-(

It's too likely to happen and considering how our opinions are worth nothing to TLG, they're not going to listen to our requests to expand on the story and worldbuilding. 

• Upvote 1

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Hello errbuddy. Haven't been active here as of late, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm a BZPeep.

Finally managed to get my hands on Onua and Gali, so I just thought I'd drop in and give my thoughts on 'em. 

Gali is certainly a much stronger build than I had anticipated. Pretty solid. I thought she would end up being my least favorite of the new Toa designs (not that I hate any of them :P ). Boi was I wrong. I didn't realize this from any of the pics or reviews, (which I didn't read very many or much of to begin with,) but they reallly succeeded in making her appear feminine for once, or at least more feminine than the other Toa. Didn't think a slightly shorter axle minus a small technic bar in each shoulder was all it took to make a build more feminine. Luckily, she isn't too feminine... *shudders* Anyway, I didn't think an extra pair of friction gears would've made a difference either, but now that I've experimented, I'm aware that she really can't lift her super clunky trident without them. As far as dual functions go, I'm very satisfied with Gali's. I knew she could use her trident head as flippers, but I wouldn't of guessed she can even hook them together for a mermaid fin of sorts. 

As for her standings among the Toa, I'd say she's certainly not my least favorite. That place now belongs to Pohatu, even though I love his design (minus the trans-green). I was iffy on the mask design at first, but I've since gotten over it. It's still the only 2015 Toa mask I'm not infinitely satisfied with though. Lewa's is close, but I'm still pretty darn satisfied. She at least LOOKS like the female of the group this time around, so I'm satisfied with her design all around. It's also noteworthy that she has no insanely out-of-place color contrasts. (I'm looking at you, Kopaka.)

Onua and Kopaka were the sets I was looking forward to having the most. When I first saw there designs, I was all like

jrueface_1.0.jpg

They're definitely my favorite Toa redesigns out of the bunch. Love the spear and shield with Kopaka. Fits him well. Not to mention he's ripped now. That's points in the right direction in my opinion. Onua, on the other hand, makes Kopaka look like a friggin toothpick. I've said it a million times before, I'll say it again, nothing suits Onua better than a warhammer. He should've had one to begin with. Also really love the dual function. It probably makes the most amount of sense out of any of them, and it also reminds me of Whenua Metru to a degree. They also managed to give him the hunched over effect, which I didn't notice in any of the pics. I'll never get over Onua's head coming out of his chest. But the arm function was what took me aback the most. I understood what people meant when they said the Toa had friction gears to add to the friction of their gear functions, but when people said Onua had a ball-in-socket joint to replace that, I drew a blank. I had no idea how that would work. But now that I've seen it, I must give credit to the resourcefulness and ingenuity of the design team. It's a truly remarkable little gizmo. It makes Onua as strong-armed as he looks. Now that's what I call ingenious.

I was not disappointed by either of these sets. I was even surprised by them in some respect. Let's hope the completely bare-boned (literally) sets of the summer wave live up to the legacy of the Toa.

Edited by The Meta Knight
  • Upvote 2

MetaKnight.gif  Stay vigilant, my friends. MetaKnight.gif

I'll be really sad if the golden Skull Spider Mask gets literally no appearance in the story after being featured in a set and having its function be described on the website.

It's too likely to happen and considering how our opinions are worth nothing to TLG, they're not going to listen to our requests to expand on the story and worldbuilding.

Oh come now, surely you don't actually think TLG completely ignores the consumer and just does whatever they feel like. Now maybe they don't "officially" visit fan sites due to legal issues stemming from something to do with 13 year olds. Thus why Greg has not been allowed to log in here in forever. But that doesn't mean they don't know...

Hello errbuddy. Haven't been active here as of late, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm a BZPeep.

Finally managed to get my hands on Onua and Gali, so I just thought I'd drop in and give my thoughts on 'em.

First off Welcome back, I was wondering why I had not seen a post from my second favorite Star warrior(Sorry but you got nothing on Kirby. Nice new Avatar by the way).

Gali is certainly a much stronger build than I had anticipated. Pretty solid. I thought she would end up being my least favorite of the new Toa designs (not that I hate any of them :P ). Boi was I wrong. I didn't realize this from any of the pics or reviews, (which I didn't read very many or much of to begin with,) but they reallly succeeded in making her appear feminine for once, or at least more feminine than the other Toa. Didn't think a slightly shorter axle minus a small technic bar in each shoulder was all it took to make a build more feminine. Luckily, she isn't too feminine... *shudders* Anyway, I didn't think an extra pair of friction gears would've made a difference either, but now that I've experimented, I'm aware that she really can't lift her super clunky trident without them. As far as dual functions go, I'm very satisfied with Gali's. I knew she could use her trident head as flippers, but I wouldn't of guessed she can even hook them together for a mermaid fin of sorts.

Yep, the Mermaid mode is actually how I Store my Gali since I've built her. I find it my favorite mode even if it is fan-made and not actually official. My Son was playing with her one night and apparently either removed her chest and one of the friction gears or during his play they fell off. Either way I found out that they are very needed due to the weight of her weapon. To think a small gray gear can change Gali from being a powerful Warrior of the deep to the strength of a dead squid on land. That arm had no resistance without that second gear inside her chest.

As for her standings among the Toa, I'd say she's certainly not my least favorite. That place now belongs to Pohatu, even though I love his design (minus the trans-green). I was iffy on the mask design at first, but I've since gotten over it. It's still the only 2015 Toa mask I'm not infinitely satisfied with though. Lewa's is close, but I'm still pretty darn satisfied. She at least LOOKS like the female of the group this time around, so I'm satisfied with her design all around. It's also noteworthy that she has no insanely out-of-place color contrasts. (I'm looking at you, Kopaka.)

Yeah I too am liking Gali's more feminine design and do believe she does it well without looking [insert female derogatory term here]. The only Gali I had was the Mata version and there wasn't a whole lot of gender differences back then. So it is good to see her rebirth as it were has come off clean and effective. Both in set form and in the animations.

Onua and Kopaka were the sets I was looking forward to having the most. When I first saw there designs, I was all like

They're definitely my favorite Toa redesigns out of the bunch. Love the spear and shield with Kopaka. Fits him well. Not to mention he's ripped now. That's points in the right direction in my opinion. Onua, on the other hand, makes Kopaka look like a friggin toothpick. I've said it a million times before, I'll say it again, nothing suits Onua better than a warhammer. He should've had one to begin with. Also really love the dual function. It probably makes the most amount of sense out of any of them, and it also reminds me of Whenua Metru to a degree. They also managed to give him the hunched over effect, which I didn't notice in any of the pics. I'll never get over Onua's head coming out of his chest. But the arm function was what took me aback the most. I understood what people meant when they said the Toa had friction gears to add to the friction of their gear functions, but when people said Onua had a ball-in-socket joint to replace that, I drew a blank. I had no idea how that would work. But now that I've seen it, I must give credit to the resourcefulness and ingenuity of the design team. It's a truly remarkable little gizmo. It makes Onua as strong-armed as he looks. Now that's what I call ingenious.

I was not disappointed by either of these sets. I was even surprised by them in some respect. Let's hope the completely bare-boned (literally) sets of the summer wave live up to the legacy of the Toa.

Well I am glad you love Onua as much as I do. Well almost maybe. He is my Favorite Toa after all, so I may still have a leg up on you there. I cannot really comment on Kopaka as I don't own him... yet. As for Onua I kind of want to get another set just to allow him to have two hammers to swing around.

• Upvote 1

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Oh come now, surely you don't actually think TLG completely ignores the consumer and just does whatever they feel like. Now maybe they don't "officially" visit fan sites due to legal issues stemming from something to do with 13 year olds. Thus why Greg has not been allowed to log in here in forever. But that doesn't mean they don't know...

I can confirm that at the very least, the Bionicle design team has their finger on the pulse of the community. When I talked with the designers at the Inside Tour, they were well aware of things like the furor over the exclusivity of the Trans. Blue Gali Mask. Remember that just because they can't participate doesn't mean they can't browse as guests just to keep tabs on discussion. And of course, the Merlin Mann interview suggests that he's also keeping tabs on fan reaction.

Of course, they probably also take our reactions with a heaping helping of salt, considering that we are not the majority and gripes about things like one thing or another being left out of the serials are not a major concern by any stretch. Raw data about things like sales and viewer count will trump guys with opinions on the internet any day of the week.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I can confirm that at the very least, the Bionicle design team has their finger on the pulse of the community. When I talked with the designers at the Inside Tour, they were well aware of things like the furor over the exclusivity of the Trans. Blue Gali Mask. Remember that just because they can't participate doesn't mean they can't browse as guests just to keep tabs on discussion. And of course, the Merlin Mann interview suggests that he's also keeping tabs on fan reaction.

Of course, they probably also take our reactions with a heaping helping of salt, considering that we are not the majority and gripes about things like one thing or another being left out of the serials are not a major concern by any stretch. Raw data about things like sales and viewer count will trump guys with opinions on the internet any day of the week.

Speaking of which, and I apologize for going on a tangent here, did you happen to snag yourself said trans-Gali Mask?  :ahhh:

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Speaking of which, and I apologize for going on a tangent here, did you happen to snag yourself said trans-Gali Mask?  :ahhh:

While this is a good question and I bet we all want to know so we can flood his Inbox with blind auctions of "I want it and will pay this much". I'd rather know more about when this talk took place and if you managed to score any juicy intel regarding if they planed on mending the 200 limit suggested by the Tour packaging of said Gali Mask. Prowl wants one himself but does not have the disposable income to burn $200+ for a limited mask. Him's got bills and alike that have to come first. For example my Tax check finally came in and after getting an oil change for the car I am grabbing me a Kopaka Okoto to finish off my winter sets. I am not letting a single Toa escape my grasp this Gen like I had to do as a kid. The rest has to go into savings for unforeseen expenses that will likely develop in the future.

Onua.png

I did, as did my brother. But before you ask, we have no intention of selling (after all, while we have two between us, there's no way we could give one to one person without passing over plenty of other people who want one). I did ask about the mask's quantity—they confirmed, unfortunately, that the numbering on the clear Tahu masks was in fact a fluke and that, while the number on these isn't 100% accurate (they specified that 250 had been produced rather than 200), only those 200 are going to be distributed, with the rest staying with Lego and the design team. Of course, while that does mean that those masks will remain hard to get, it also indicates that if there are exclusives at events like SDCC, then they will likely be something completely new!

• Upvote 1

I did, as did my brother. But before you ask, we have no intention of selling (after all, while we have two between us, there's no way we could give one to one person without passing over plenty of other people who want one). I did ask about the mask's quantity—they confirmed, unfortunately, that the numbering on the clear Tahu masks was in fact a fluke and that, while the number on these isn't 100% accurate (they specified that 250 had been produced rather than 200), only those 200 are going to be distributed, with the rest staying with Lego and the design team. Of course, while that does mean that those masks will remain hard to get, it also indicates that if there are exclusives at events like SDCC, then they will likely be something completely new!

Do you think we will get clear masks for all Toa or only these two not in summer?

cringe

Well glad we know there are more than 200 made, though only an extra 50 still leaves the community wanting. Thanks for the info Lyichir. I can understand why these 50 are staying with Lego and their employees. There has been similar releases with the Skylanders series. Some special releases go only to employees like a perk of the job or something...

So Congrats to you and your brother for getting one. As well to the other 198 lucky tourists.

• Upvote 2

Onua.png

Wait, the Chir brothers got their hands on the trans-blue mask of water? We need a pic of Gali wearing it. NOW.

Words of wisdom.

• Upvote 2

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

Wait, the Chir brothers got their hands on the trans-blue mask of water? We need a pic of Gali wearing it. NOW.

Alright, if you insist...

17551733524_a0efd45f66.jpg

Personally, I'm not sure how well it suits her color scheme—the Trans. Blue was a better match for the original set's Bright Blue than it is for the new set's Dark Azur and Trans. Light Blue. It looks okay, but not good enough that I'd want to keep her like this.

• Upvote 8

Personally, I'm not sure how well it suits her color scheme—the Trans. Blue was a better match for the original set's Bright Blue than it is for the new set's Dark Azur and Trans. Light Blue. It looks okay, but not good enough that I'd want to keep her like this.

Not bad-looking, but I'm inclined to agree.

I'm curious as to how it looks on the original Gali.

Edited by Quisoves Potoo

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Alright, if you insist...

17551733524_a0efd45f66.jpg

Good to see the mask on her. I don't think it looks good on her though. Doesn't match the colors at all. Thanks for posting the picture though  ^_^

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Well, to be fair, the gold mask doesn't really match the rest of her colors either.  So, similar to the gold mask, the translucent one could be used as a sort of temporary "power-up" rather than her permanent look.

Yeah, but the gold mask is a feature that all the sets have (and gen 1 had those for all 6 as well), where as the translucent masks are only available for two: Tahu & Gali (and she had one in gen 1, but that was it (besides Hahli and any other Kaukau wearers). Tahu's matches his colors very well, Gali's not so much.

But (to be fair) you're not wrong.  :fonz:

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

She looks evil for some reason, lol. And a bit like an 'alien'. I kinda like it.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Alright, if you insist...17551733524_a0efd45f66.jpg Personally, I'm not sure how well it suits her color scheme—the Trans. Blue was a better match for the original set's Bright Blue than it is for the new set's Dark Azur and Trans. Light Blue. It looks okay, but not good enough that I'd want to keep her like this.

Beautiful. Just beautiful. I mean, it obviously doesn't fit in with Gali's color scheme, but the mask itself is amazing.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Well, to be fair, the gold mask doesn't really match the rest of her colors either.  So, similar to the gold mask, the translucent one could be used as a sort of temporary "power-up" rather than her permanent look.

I thought the gold provides an excellent contrast to the rest of Gali's silver/grey. It certainly fits better than that dark blue Gali mask.

• Upvote 1

I wonder what she'd look like with the trans blue mask if her azure and trans light blue parts were switched out for bright blue and trans blue ones? Though the bones don't exist in that color...

I don't think the bones would need replacing anyway; just replace the Dark Azure with Bright Blue and leave the trans light blue as a stand-in for her original Medium Blue, and she should look fine.

It really sucks that a trans mask for Gali, of all Toa, is so incredibly rare and hard to get but hey, whata' gonna' do? It looks amazing even though it doesn't match her color of blue. It's very reminiscent of Gali Mata, I love it.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Has anyone here imported Lego sets before? If so, would you recommend it just to get 'em early? 

There's rumors of the Bionicle summer wave getting a July release in Europe, and I wanna get my hands on 'em a.s.a.p. to review. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Has anyone here imported Lego sets before? If so, would you recommend it just to get 'em early? 

There's rumors of the Bionicle summer wave getting a July release in Europe, and I wanna get my hands on 'em a.s.a.p. to review. 

From my previous experience with imports, i'll never do it again.

cringe