Toa Mahri Masks

My basic question is this: Can the Mahri wear normal masks? It seems there would be issues attaching their breathing tubes (since the tubes appear to attach to the masks). What would they do with their breathing tubes if they had other masks on? Also, since Matoro made them amphibious, do they need the tubes to breath air, or water? Or both? Or do they not need them at all? Also, is the video where the Toa Terrain Crawler removes their tubes canon? That could affect the answer.

Thanks!

Edited by John Smith

The video is non-canon, I know that. But the tubes thing is a bit of a conundrum: when the sets were designed, they were intended to have just temporary diving equipment, hence the video, which was built into their new masks. So with the actual story decision of having them be turned into water-breathers, I don't know what exactly the significance of the tubes is supposed to be.

• Upvote 1

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

So with the actual story decision of having them be turned into water-breathers, I don't know what exactly the significance of the tubes is supposed to be.

Gills.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

2. Would a normal Kanohi Tryna (or any of the Toa Mahri's masks) look the same just without the tubes? 

2) Yes, probably

9. In BL7 when Matoro tried to get into Mahri Nui but couldn't breath, couldn't he have taken off his mask and/or water tubes? 

9) No. He was not amphibious, he was a water-breather. Taking off the mask would not have made it possible for him to breathe air again.

4: Do the Toa Mahri still have their air tubes? I ask because they are out of the ocean.

4) They do, because the sets do, and if they get drawn again they will look like those sets

I think that the tubes are attached to their faces, not the masks, in-story, simply because taking off the mask wouldn't disconnect them necessarily. :shrugs:

What happend was that originally the Toa Mahri we supposed to be breathing air underwater, that's why they got the air tubes, but they changed that in the story so it would be more dramatic the fact that they wouldn't be able to go back to land. After they became amphibious their tubes stayed with them so they don't really use them anymore I guess, and yes they can now wear any kind of masks.

• Upvote 1

Judging from what's been said above by Greg, I'm suspecting they'd essentially act like part of their breathing "organs", just located externally, regardless of whether its for aquatic only or amphibious. I suppose we could speculate that the extra external "organs" (I don't know what better word to use :P) allowed them to breath underwater and integrated with/around their Kanohi and then these pipes were modified to allow amphibious breathing. Something like that maybe.

• Upvote 2
photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

Judging from what's been said above by Greg, I'm suspecting they'd essentially act like part of their breathing "organs", just located externally, regardless of whether its for aquatic only or amphibious. I suppose we could speculate that the extra external "organs" (I don't know what better word to use :P) allowed them to breath underwater and integrated with/around their Kanohi and then these pipes were modified to allow amphibious breathing. Something like that maybe.

They'll definitely be some rather vulnerable organs.

They'll definitely be some rather vulnerable organs.

By organ I meant as in they served the purpose our windpipe type organs do - they're obviously made of inorganic material so I don't think they're that vulnerable.

(Thus why I kept putting organs in quotation marks. :P)

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

Since normal MU beings have organic lungs, but the lungs are armored, and the tubes look technological in all depicted forms, my guess is there are organic gills on the inside of them, but they're covered in metal rings that create the outer shape we see, and protect the organic parts, probably fairly well.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Well, there's been a new development. Boidoh asked Greg this on the LEGO forums:

5. Could the Toa Mahri wear normal masks? It seems that tubes are connected to their masks which can cause a problem.

5) No

I just wish he'd explained why they couldn't. :confused:

It could be, though, that he was saying no to the second part of the question, that the tubes seeming connected to their masks wouldn't be a problem, or something.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Well, there's been a new development. Boidoh asked Greg this on the LEGO forums:

5. Could the Toa Mahri wear normal masks? It seems that tubes are connected to their masks which can cause a problem.

5) No

It could be, though, that he was saying no to the second part of the question, that the tubes seeming connected to their masks wouldn't be a problem, or something.

Greg's usual style is to answer the 1st part of a 2-part question and ignore the second part if his answer to the first part makes it irrelevant, so I don't think that's right, sadly.

Since normal MU beings have organic lungs, but the lungs are armored, and the tubes look technological in all depicted forms, my guess is there are organic gills on the inside of them, but they're covered in metal rings that create the outer shape we see, and protect the organic parts, probably fairly well.

This makes sense. In light of Greg's answer, would it be reasonable to speculate that their masks are also part of their gill system?Jaller's Arthron seems to have tubes on it, after all.

Course technically Hewkii is the only one who has the tube in his mouth, not his mask (mask of gravity for the win!) xD

I always though Hewkii looked a little funny, which is strange as he had one of the coolest Inika sets  :/

JOIN THE COURT OF TURTLES AND BE CARRIED OFF BY THE GREAT ONE INTO THE GREAT BEYOND

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/COURTOFTURTLES

a06ec8240e55f848face149dd36b445d170cb577

5) No

Wait, does this still apply after Matoro teleported them back to Metru Nui?

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

5) No

Wait, does this still apply after Matoro teleported them back to Metru Nui?

-NotS

I don't really see why it wouldn't, but I guess there is a possibility Greg misunderstood and thought the question applied only to before then. Maybe I'll ask him a follow-up question.

This makes sense. In light of Greg's answer, would it be reasonable to speculate that their masks are also part of their gill system?Jaller's Arthron seems to have tubes on it, after all.

It might explain partially why Matoran go into a coma when their mask is removed. Maybe masks really are a major part of the respiratory system, but there's other, weaker systems that allow them to not die and Toa to keep going. Edited by Click
  • Upvote 2

It might explain partially why Matoran go into a coma when their mask is removed. Maybe masks really are a major part of the respiratory system, but there's other, weaker systems that allow them to not die and Toa to keep going.

It's possible, but I thought that was connected to mental strength and concentration somehow. Could be wrong though. 

It might explain partially why Matoran go into a coma when their mask is removed. Maybe masks really are a major part of the respiratory system, but there's other, weaker systems that allow them to not die and Toa to keep going.

Except the Mahri's system is clearly abnormal, since Greg just said they couldn't switch masks, but normal beings can. I don't think normal masks have anything to do with breathing except the holes allowing air through. :P Taking a mask off would, if anything, make breathing easier. And what fishers said already explains it so yeah.

I always imagined Jaller's mask tubes to be silver. And you know those round things off to the side of the Toa Metru head's mouth? I like to think the external gills go through there.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Greg said it is because their masks are part of how they breathe.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Except the Mahri's system is clearly abnormal, since Greg just said they couldn't switch masks, but normal beings can. I don't think normal masks have anything to do with breathing except the holes allowing air through. :P Taking a mask off would, if anything, make breathing easier. And what fishers said already explains it so yeah.

So you agree that the Mahri's (and only the Mahri's) masks are involved in their respiratory system? Or do I misunderstand?

Greg said it is because their masks are part of how they breathe.

Do you know where he said this? The LMB?

Apparently, after Matoro changed the Mahri to amphibious Toa, they CAN wear normal masks, but only when on land...

Mr. Farshtey,

You recently said that the Mahri couldn't have worn normal masks during the 2007 story because they masks and tubes were what allowed them to breathe water. My question is this: After Matoro made the others amphibious, would they need the tubes to breathe air? If not, would they be able to wear normal masks while on land?

Thanks!

Yes, they would be able to wear normal masks while on land.

Source:

https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/11223851#M252704

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Apparently, after Matoro changed the Mahri to amphibious Toa, they CAN wear normal masks, but only when on land...

Mr. Farshtey,

You recently said that the Mahri couldn't have worn normal masks during the 2007 story because they masks and tubes were what allowed them to breathe water. My question is this: After Matoro made the others amphibious, would they need the tubes to breathe air? If not, would they be able to wear normal masks while on land?

Thanks!

Yes, they would be able to wear normal masks while on land.

Source:

https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/11223851#M252704

Haha, I'm actually the one who asked that question. :P I hadn't checked for Greg's response though, so thanks for pointing it out!

(Off-topic: this is the first time Greg has answered one of my questions. I'm a bit giddy now.)

Edited by John Smith