OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Why do we care so much about this drill anyways? There isn't even any story featuring the PoE

Because it might be a confirmation of the existence of Adamantium - albeit under a slightly different name - in the reboot, instead of the expected Protosteel.

Nothing will be confirmed by a product description. Need I remind you of the stinger tail?

Self MOC: Fren

How lewd

Why do we care so much about this drill anyways? There isn't even any story featuring the PoE

Because it might be a confirmation of the existence of Adamantium - albeit under a slightly different name - in the reboot, instead of the expected Protosteel.

Nothing will be confirmed by a product description. Need I remind you of the stinger tail?

That's why I said it MIGHT be a confirmation. Not likely, but an intriguing possibility nonetheless. If I turn out to be right though, all you naysayers owe me an Adamantium phone case.

That's why I said it MIGHT be a confirmation. Not likely, but an intriguing possibility nonetheless. If I turn out to be right though, all you naysayers owe me an Adamantium phone case.

That'll be one hefty phone case! I bet it's just an adjective showing how strong the drill is. I've seen it called the "Dimaond Star Drill" in some places. Edited by Wolfrenz0

Self MOC: Fren

How lewd

So, uh, ignoring the Adamantium discussion going on, I'm having problems choosing a Toa/Protector combo. I like Lewa with his protector because of their colour and functions, but I like Gali with her protector because of her look and overall... Feel of the sets.

Gah. Little help?

Tough call for me because Gali is my favorite Toa and the Protector of Jungle is tied for my favorite Protector. :P

As far as combiners, though, Gali's power up mode looks better to me, if that's what you're going for.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

So, uh, ignoring the Adamantium discussion going on, I'm having problems choosing a Toa/Protector combo. I like Lewa with his protector because of their colour and functions, but I like Gali with her protector because of her look and overall... Feel of the sets.

Gah. Little help?

Why not both?

Say a person has only £30 to spend.

Gah. Little help?

Why not both?

Say a person has only £30 to spend.

That's what I wanted to be sure of. I'd go with Gali.

I just noticed in the description of PoE's star drill, it calls it adamantine--- so the purple crystals in the Earth element region of Okoto is adamantium with the black dirt being Obsidian(because of the Obsidian Fields) potentially? That would be awesome! 

That gives a bit more credibility/evidence to my theory I posted recently regarding Marvel and LEGO...interesting.

Adamantine =/= Adamantium, tho.

Honestly it's not so much a theory as a far-fetched dream.

Did you even bother to read my original theory? The Adamantium =/= Adamantine argument is bull. It's basically the same thing, and in other fiction, Adamantine is used instead of the name Adamantium, probably to avoid legal trouble. Another name variation is Adamantite. It was just a theory, and I even stated it was a crazy, just-for-fun theory when I posted it. Besides, if Marvel can crossover with Attack on Titan of all things, is a crossover with Bionicle really that far-fetched? I don't think so. Does that means it's likely? Probably not. Does LEGO's working relationship with Marvel put the odds in our favor? Perhaps.

But like...you do know Marvel didn't invent adamantine or however you want to call it? It's just a thing. In popular fiction. It's not really explicitly a Marvel thing, although certainly that's what given it the most exposure. In any case, I suppose it's not the most far-fetched thing imaginable, but it is pretty out there, and that still doesn't make serious discussion of it any less, uh, pointless I guess? They could just as well cross with any other Lego property, or none at all. (None at all seems more likely, though. The Lego Movie comes to mind.) DC did the comics for Bionicle for 10 years and there were never any meaningful crossovers or interactions between the two universes, beyond a couple of cameos. It just strikes me as a silly thing to discuss when there's so much actual content to talk about, but I guess that's not my place to say.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

I haven't actually bought Gali yet, but I've heard a lot of trustworthy people recommending her, so you probably made a good investment. 

Gali is pretty nifty. Some of my big problems with her are how heavy the full weapon is and how her Mask looks nothing like any previous version. The second isn't a problem with me, but for a lot of people.

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

I haven't actually bought Gali yet, but I've heard a lot of trustworthy people recommending her, so you probably made a good investment. 

Gali is pretty nifty. Some of my big problems with her are how heavy the full weapon is and how her Mask looks nothing like any previous version. The second isn't a problem with me, but for a lot of people.

I think the mask combines the Mata and Nuva versions together rather well. It has a semi-look of the original (Mata) but the shape of the Nuva version.

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I think the mask combines the Mata and Nuva versions together rather well. It has a semi-look of the original (Mata) but the shape of the Nuva version.

I can't really see the resemblance, but that's perfectly okay with me. One of the reasons why I'm part of the few people that liked the 2008 Kaukau was because it had an original look to it. 

bZpOwEr

Oh wow I actually started a conversation about the adamantite drill thing, usually my comments are completely ignored. I just thought it was cool that we might have confirmation of a mineral type used to make stuff in gen2 kinda like protosteel in gen1. The use of adamant-anything has been in fiction for a very long time, not Marvel-specific. It just opens up the possibility that other weapons, even armor and masks could be bade of this Bionicle version of Adamantium and/or Obsidian, the only two minerals we know exist in gen2 so far.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I can't really see the resemblance, but that's perfectly okay with me. One of the reasons why I'm part of the few people that liked the 2008 Kaukau was because it had an original look to it. 

To me it looks like a cross between the Kaukau and the Noble Rau.  It combines the "diver" look of the Kaukau with the curved cheek shape and mouth of the Rau.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Oh wow I actually started a conversation about the adamantite drill thing, usually my comments are completely ignored. I just thought it was cool that we might have confirmation of a mineral type used to make stuff in gen2 kinda like protosteel in gen1. The use of adamant-anything has been in fiction for a very long time, not Marvel-specific. It just opens up the possibility that other weapons, even armor and masks could be bade of this Bionicle version of Adamantium and/or Obsidian, the only two minerals we know exist in gen2 so far.

We don't know Adamantium or any material with Adamanti- in its name exists; the drill is "adamantine" in that it's unbreakable, not because of anything to do with the material it's made of.

So Lord of Skull Spiders! Quite the set. Definitely the odd one out in this winter line-up of sets. 

As someone who missed out on the original Rahi of 2001 but absolutely loved their design and playability, building Lord of Skull Spiders was like fulfilling a long sought-after goal. A pretty cool design that had me going "Ooooooh! Smart" quite a few times. I miss building Technic-like beasts like this one. Really, really fun.

Overall, the finished product looks pretty cool! Honestly, I expected it to be a lot smaller. I was pleasantly surprised by the size. The play function is fun but hard to emulate what is advertised (did it once here after millions of tries). Even then it was still not quite what was shown, but regardless, its a solid build! The armour is a bit of a let-down though. Also, just like the Rahi of 01, it is not very posable (which is pretty disappointing compared to the rest of the 2015 sets).

The best part about having this set is creating conflict! Having Protectors try to fight - and fail! - against an army of Skull Spiders, and having to call the Toa in is a blast. The Golden Skull Spider Mask can be made into a cool golden Spider.

Really like this set! Worth the money IMO. :)

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

The Golden Skull Spider Mask can be made into a cool golden Spider.

I hope that golden Skull Spider is in the story. It would be awesome to have one "special" Skull Spider that the Toa have to chase down, maybe they have to find it before it latches on to Makuta and reawakens him or something. Anyway, I'm still waiting on my LoSS from LEGO, I can't wait to put together that Technic mumbo jumbo.

Edited by Dark Blue

IetTsFQ.png

I've said it before, but it seems like Makuta isn't truly evil, just apathetic to others. He only cares about himself, but hasn't really done anything truly malicious until he put on the MoUP. I'd like for Makuta to be an anti-hero in this story. 

Just not an angsty one, those suck.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

The Golden Skull Spider Mask can be made into a cool golden Spider.

I hope that golden Skull Spider is in the story. It would be awesome to have one "special" Skull Spider that the Toa have to chase down, maybe they have to find it before it latches on to Makuta and reawakens him or something. Anyway, I'm still waiting on my LoSS from LEGO, I can't wait to put together that Technic mumbo jumbo.

I like the golden mask because of its 'Heart of the Visorak' concept. Controlling a swarm via the usage of one item is pretty cool to me.

I've said it before, but it seems like Makuta isn't truly evil, just apathetic to others. He only cares about himself, but hasn't really done anything truly malicious until he put on the MoUP. I'd like for Makuta to be an anti-hero in this story. 

I'd rather Makuta stay evil, however have his villainy a result of the MoUP, not because he is inherently evil. 

bZpOwEr

As a mask, the 2008 Kaukau is fine. As a Kaukau, it's weird. But I don't really mind it that much. I just wish the Mistika resembled their previous versions more.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

For me, the Kaukau is the least of the problems with the Gali Mistika set.  The overuse of silver (with horrendous silver-on-silver color layering), the lack of a creative Toa tool, and the bare Piraka torso are the real issues. 

One thing I like about 2015 Makuta is that he made the Mask of Ultimate Power not for the power it would give him, but rather just to prove he could make a better mask than Ekimu. That's a very petty and personal goal, and a big change from the more power-hungry G1 Makuta. 

Edited by Latrodectus
  • Upvote 1

For me, the Kaukau is the least of the problems with the Gali Mistika set.  The overuse of silver (with horrendous silver-on-silver color layering), the lack of a creative Toa tool, and the bare Piraka torso are the real issues. 

One thing I like about 2015 Makuta is that he made the Mask of Ultimate Power not for the power it would give him, but rather just to prove he could make a better mask than Ekimu. That's a very petty and personal goal, and a big change from the more power-hungry G1 Makuta. 

I wonder what would've happen if Ekimu didn't confront Makuta? 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I wonder what would've happen if Ekimu didn't confront Makuta? 

Lots of explosions, according to the first animation (let's not get Michael Bay in here...).

And the Toa would've crash-landed into the ocean as well. :P

• Upvote 3

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I just noticed in the description of PoE's star drill, it calls it adamantine--- so the purple crystals in the Earth element region of Okoto is adamantium with the black dirt being Obsidian(because of the Obsidian Fields) potentially? That would be awesome! 

That gives a bit more credibility/evidence to my theory I posted recently regarding Marvel and LEGO...interesting.

Adamantine =/= Adamantium, tho.

Honestly it's not so much a theory as a far-fetched dream.

Did you even bother to read my original theory? The Adamantium =/= Adamantine argument is bull. It's basically the same thing, and in other fiction, Adamantine is used instead of the name Adamantium, probably to avoid legal trouble. Another name variation is Adamantite. It was just a theory, and I even stated it was a crazy, just-for-fun theory when I posted it. Besides, if Marvel can crossover with Attack on Titan of all things, is a crossover with Bionicle really that far-fetched? I don't think so. Does that means it's likely? Probably not. Does LEGO's working relationship with Marvel put the odds in our favor? Perhaps.

But like...you do know Marvel didn't invent adamantine or however you want to call it? It's just a thing. In popular fiction. It's not really explicitly a Marvel thing, although certainly that's what given it the most exposure. In any case, I suppose it's not the most far-fetched thing imaginable, but it is pretty out there, and that still doesn't make serious discussion of it any less, uh, pointless I guess? They could just as well cross with any other Lego property, or none at all. (None at all seems more likely, though. The Lego Movie comes to mind.) DC did the comics for Bionicle for 10 years and there were never any meaningful crossovers or interactions between the two universes, beyond a couple of cameos. It just strikes me as a silly thing to discuss when there's so much actual content to talk about, but I guess that's not my place to say.

You're right that DC didn't do any meaningful crossovers. HOWEVER...even though it was just a few short years ago, times were honestly a bit different then. In the past 5 years since then, crossovers are becoming more and more of a thing. Avengers made it to the big screen, something unprecedented at the time...Transformers/G.I. Joe and Godzilla/Pacific Rim crossover films have been talked about and may even be in the works. A Jump Street/BZP Lovers crossover is in the works right now. Only things I can think of off the top of my head, but shared universes seem to be getting more popular. Sorry that speculation is silly, I guess we'll stick strictly to official content for your sake since we apparently can't have anyone thinking outside certain parameters. 

Mention something Marvel-related like that around me, and I will start discussion on it. 

Okay, got my Onua set today. Must say I am very impressed with it, but it has a few things that bug me (mainly with the head).

Pros:

• Ball joint on the gears is very welcome for posing
  • Shoulder pads adjust to leave room for arm movement
  • Figure feels solid and sturdy
  • Really nails the look of a physically strong character
  • PURPLE
  • Gears are pure nostalgia and make me happy

Cons:

• Neck is very awkward for posing
  • Gap above chest armour exposing neck and shoulder connection
  • Head looks a bit too small
  • Mask is a tad loose and pops off often due to above con

All in all though I very much like this figure.

BargSmile.png.48fca408c6ae53ade365ec915a81fa1e.png

My Tahu review

Pros

• Gear function + lots of articulation
  • plenty of Technic parts
  • Dual-function weapons
  • extra swords that also act as fancy wing-like decorations
  • awesome Mask of Fire
  • golden mask!
  • Beware the creepy skull spider!
  • great color scheme
  • Tahu has back armor and looks great from almost every angle
  • neat chest printing
  • the new head looks awesome and has a really cool pop-off function
  • the new mask connection is genius because you can make Tahu hold the mask in his hand, and the masks are backwards compatible with the 2013 Brain Attack heads. The connection is also very satisfying because it's so easy to just click the mask on
  • those piston armor add-ons are wonderful, and Tahu comes with 6
  • lots of useful parts, such as the aforementioned piston armor pieces, the gearbox piece, 4 friction extenders, the new head, and plenty of Technic pats
  • Tahu's transparent fluorescent orange parts and the flame pieces on his lava swords/lavaboard look awesome when put in front of a light... especially a bright red light

Cons

• Tahu's eyestalk is transparent light blue, which, unlike the transparent fluorescent blue used on Kopaka Mata, does not let light pass through as easily, and so he doesn't have the same glowing eyes effect as most of the other Toa.
  • Tahu's lower legs look a little ugly from the back, but that's the only place where he doesn't look 100% awesome
  • Sometimes his shoulder armor can clash with the ball joints from the CCBS torso, though if you just slightly re-adjust the armor it isn't a problem most of the time.
  • I wish the set had more Skull Spiders, but that's just a nitpick.
  • The Skull Spider's lower legs can be difficult to wrap around Tahu's head, but you can just let them hang like fangs or take them off, so it's not that much of a big deal.

After playing around with the new head, the mask connection is very sturdy. It does wobble up and down very slightly, but other than that, the connection is nice and strong, but not too strong. I can actually pick up the set by the mask and if I pick it up right with the mask and head at the right angle, the mask won't slip off. Once you get used to the brainstalk being a pop-off trigger, it's pretty easy to twist the head around without popping off the mask. It's also very easy to get the mask back on if you pop it off. The countours of the head actually help you put on the mask, and I could do it blindfolded a lot easier than I could put an axle mask/helment on a head. It's very satisfying to just slip the mask on so easily, because it takes so little effort and the connection is a lot sturdier than some people have said it was. Sure, it's really easy to pull the mask off, but at the same time, if you shook the set up and down a lot, the mask isn't going to slip off.

Overall, I rate this set 5 out of 5 stars. This is now my favorite Constraction set that I own.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

So I built the Protector of Fire the other day and Onua today, and here are my thoughts on them.

The Protector of Fire is definitely not the best Protector out of the six of them. His weapons are not impressive at all, especially when compared to those that the some of the Protectors carry with them. Also, he has no elbows, which makes it harder to pose him. He does have some good trans-red parts. (Or is that color trans-orange? I'm not sure on that.) Either way, if you plan on getting all the 2015 sets, I recommend getting him last. Unless you want to build that awesome Tahu-Fire Protector combo model, then I say go ahead and get him. :P

As for Onua, I had a lot of fun building him. In fact, the only set I had more fun building out of the new wave was The Lord of Skull Spiders. The set itself is really cool, especially his torso build and his weapon. I kind of wish he had a couple more purple pieces, but that might've messed up his color scheme, but I understand why he came with only so many. 

One complaint I have about him is that his neck is kind of long. I wish it was a little shorter, but that doesn't take away from him being an good set. Overall, I do recommend him for your collection.

And now I can say I'm the owner of all the Bionicle sets from the first 2015 wave. :)

pc0lX6T.png

My review of Pohatu, Master of Stone:

Pros:

• The classic brown goes well with the color-scheme.
  • TRANS-GREEN BONES.
  • Said bones don't clash/stick out from Pohatu's colors.
  • Mask is very reminiscent of his '01 incarnation.
  • His asymmetrical arms brings something unique to him.
  • Those spikes on his right arm makes me think of the bone decorations a tribesman that lives in the desert would have.
  • Beefy legs = runner. 
  • His boomerang weapons also give me a very 'Australian desert' vibe. And they fold up.

Cons:

• Noticeable gaps on his sides.
  • Only one arm swings.
  • Another dagger wouldn't hurt.
  • More of that classic Hewkii brown also wouldn't hurt.
  • Gun-metal colored weapons seem out-of-place. 

Overall, Pohatu is a really solid set. Sure he's no Gali or Tahu, but he's unique in his own special way. And I could totally see why he's the one that always gets sold-out first at my local stores. Not to mention how beautiful those brown shells are--seriously think about buying a duplicate of him or the Protector of Stone just for those. So that wraps things up for my review. If you're a collector, than this is an obvious must-have. But if you're deciding between this guy and another Toa as your first 2015 Bionicle set, I'd say pick up the PoS first and choose from there; they're pretty similar.

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

He does have some good trans-red parts. (Or is that color trans-orange? I'm not sure on that.) Either way, if you plan on getting all the 2015 sets, I recommend getting him last.

-----

One complaint I have about him is that his neck is kind of long.

The PoF's armor is trans orange, and his fire parts are trans dark red with trans yellow. I think he's a great parts pack, though I agree with all of your complaints about him.

As for Onua, don't forget to bend his neck down so he's hunched. The instructions don't tell you to do it so apparently a lot of people don't realize that his neck is supposed to stoop forward.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

He does have some good trans-red parts. (Or is that color trans-orange? I'm not sure on that.) Either way, if you plan on getting all the 2015 sets, I recommend getting him last.

-----

One complaint I have about him is that his neck is kind of long.

The PoF's armor is trans orange, and his fire parts are trans dark red with trans yellow. I think he's a great parts pack, though I agree with all of your complaints about him.

As for Onua, don't forget to bend his neck down so he's hunched. The instructions don't tell you to do it so apparently a lot of people don't realize that his neck is supposed to stoop forward.

I thought that was trans-orange. I just wasn't sure. :P Thanks for the reply.

That is true about Onua's neck. I figured that out about him seconds after I built him. I still think that it would've been built better though, but that is just opinion on the subject.

pc0lX6T.png

On an unrelated note, has anyone noticed that Lewa's silver leg parts look like the Matoran Face Mountain Thing from Mask of Light?

Mata-NuKNEES.

You mean the new add-on? Because that looks more like the Toa Mata chest to me. Now that you mention it, I remember thinking the Stars foot looks like the Matoran head from 2001-2003. XD

Hey guys, wouldn't it be cool if at the end of 2017 (the current end date for Bionicle unless it gets extended, which it probably will), the Toa discover they are from a different time, and then travel back to their point in time... which is in the future, where Okoto is now...

METROKOTO: THE CITY OF LEGENDS

That would be a nice twist. What do you think?

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Hey guys, wouldn't it be cool if at the end of 2017 (the current end date for Bionicle unless it gets extended, which it probably will), the Toa discover they are from a different time, and then travel back to their point in time... which is in the future, where Okoto is now...

Is it bad that I actually like that idea? 

bZpOwEr

Is it bad that I actually like that idea? 

Are you implying that some people wouldn't like that idea? :P

• Upvote 1

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.