OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

The way those comics are set up implies to me that the theme for this wave will be 'unity'; the Toa learning to rely on each other as their masks are stolen by the Skulls and their teammates must retrieve them. Though Gali and Tahu don't get a designated for, I think that could be good for two reasons; Gali becomes more aware, dodging the Skulls when they steal her masks. Tahu, not having his mask stolen, charges in against Grinder, only to be humbled quickly, forcing him to acknowledge the resr of his team as peers.

Eh, I would've prefered it if the Toa went off on their own and had to reclaim their masks seperately.

Because let's be honest, don't you think it'd be silly if all the Toa were just walking along and then Skull Scorpio just stole Pohatu's mask?

The Skulls wouldn't have a particular target. They strike at the group, hoping to grab masks and flee, wearing the group down by attrition rather than getting involved in a stand-up fight. Look at the comics; they all strike from ambush. The fact that the Toa can (and should) work together as a group allows them to beat the Skulls and reclaim the stolen masks. It's a trial by (metaphorical) fire, and the Toa need all of their golden masks at the end of this when they wake ekimu.

Stealing one mask stops them from being able to do that, and is also an easy way to weaken them. The Toa have to hunt down the Skulls because they need the Golden Masks. Easier to do it as a group than to send each individual, now weakened, after one mask. What would Tahu and Gali do while the others reclaim their masks? Make out? No, it makes more sense to think of the Skulls as a Boss Rush, with Grinder at the end as the Final Boss.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Thinking about it, they could do that without necessarily making the skull villains the "good guys".  They could be like the Anti-Spirals from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (or any other similar faction, though that's what came to mind for me), who believe that spiral energy is a force of destruction that must be contained.  It could be that the skull villains believe the same, that the Mask of Creation represents some kind of harmful untamed creation power that must be destroyed.

Though I think the creation-vs.-control/destruction theme is a more likely scenario.

Oh, so this is all a Gurren Lagann reference.

Maybe that's why they're not letting Gali do anything.

Not sure if anyone has noticed this yet, but the comics prove that there are multiple Skull Scorpios.

I suppose that makes sense, them being created by Skull Grinder.

Just like how there are canonically red skull spiders and LoSS totally captured that villager in the animations, oh, and remember that time that all of the protectors were mind controlled by Skull Spiders? I'm pretty sure the little "comics" are play suggestions for the kiddies rather than valuable canon story information. Just like the character videos we got during the winter wave. :P Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 3

Not sure if anyone has noticed this yet, but the comics prove that there are multiple Skull Scorpios.

I suppose that makes sense, them being created by Skull Grinder.

Just like how there are canonically red skull spiders and LoSS totally captured that villager in the animations, oh, and remember that time that all of the protectors were mind controlled by Skull Spiders? I'm pretty sure the little "comics" are play suggestions for the kiddies rather than valuable canon story information. Just like the character videos we got during the winter wave. :P

;_;

bZpOwEr

Thinking about it, they could do that without necessarily making the skull villains the "good guys".  They could be like the Anti-Spirals from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (or any other similar faction, though that's what came to mind for me), who believe that spiral energy is a force of destruction that must be contained.  It could be that the skull villains believe the same, that the Mask of Creation represents some kind of harmful untamed creation power that must be destroyed.

Though I think the creation-vs.-control/destruction theme is a more likely scenario.

Because if they kiss her they die?

Because if they kiss her they die?

No, I just mean that female characters in Gurren Lagann aren't really allowed to do a whole lot.

I mean hopefully Gali will get to do more than just come along for the ride, but right now she's not getting a whole lot of attention and it's kinda weird.  The Mask of Water is awesome and it would look so cool in half-gold half-trans-dark-blue.

I was able to get to the Watford LEGO Store to pick up the new sets also. I decided to scan the comics in the instructions for everyone to enjoy:

70791, 70792, 70793, 70794, 70795

I know they are pretty much the same as the ones on the box, but I scanned these to fulfill a request from someone on another forum so figured I'd share them here too. Nice to have scanned copies I suppose!

I know these are probably non-canon, but they do appear to explain why the masks we get are partly transparent. Notice how they are only transparent when the Villain is physically holding the mask in their hands/claws. Are the Skull Villains draining the Mask's power?

I now have a reason to like Watford :D

Might have to check out my local LEGO Shop on Wednesday, bit of a trek but it'll be cool to see what is going down.

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

While Gali not getting a specific opponent and blendy mask is unfortunate (because she is best Toa), I imagine it has less to do with sexism and more with there just not being enough summer sets to have a skull villain for everybody, and LEGO deciding not to have a second blue villain for the sake of color variety. LEGO puts a lot of effort into determining just how many sets the market can bear. They already opted to make Kopaka a $20 set, so chances are they figured a blendy Mask of Ice would have more demand than a blendy Mask of Water.

Granted, it could have been very cool if Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder had blendy masks for Tahu and Gali, but the set already has three exclusive masks, and I imagine there's a story reason for making the Mask of Creation the "bonus mask" the characters are fighting over instead of just putting it on Ekimu's face and having them fight over one or more other masks. Alternatively, LEGO could have perhaps had six villain sets in the summer and omitted Lord of Skull Spiders from the winter wave, but then there'd have been even more mindless complaints about the Skull Spiders being no match for the Toa.

I do sincerely hope Tahu and Gali get blendy masks somehow, but it wouldn't be the first time costume items for certain characters got left out. In last year's Ninjago sets, only Lloyd and Zane got the special stone armor that all four Ninja wear in the Season 3 finale, and in this year's Elves sets, Farran doesn't get a cape. And of course, let's not forget there not being a vehicle version of Kopaka's mask in 2008 because the LEGO Group decided to give his vehicle to a villain character to "even the odds".

• Upvote 3

While Gali not getting a specific opponent and blendy mask is unfortunate (because she is best Toa), I imagine it has less to do with sexism and more with there just not being enough summer sets to have a skull villain for everybody, and LEGO deciding not to have a second blue villain for the sake of color variety. 

That's entirely possible.  I mean, tough to know for sure with a sample size of one, but possible.

I mean hopefully Gali will get to do more than just come along for the ride, but right now she's not getting a whole lot of attention and it's kinda weird.  The Mask of Water is awesome and it would look so cool in half-gold half-trans-dark-blue.

Maybe someone at lego decided that the intended young kids audience would be easily confused on who is is getting which since kopaka has blended gold/transblue while gali would've gotten transdarkblue/gold.

From what i've noticed lego seems to mostly be designing the sets with details that captivate the younger audiences before anything else matters.

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---

qs3135.jpg

Maybe someone at lego decided that the intended young kids audience would be easily confused on who is is getting which since kopaka has blended gold/transblue while gali would've gotten transdarkblue/gold.

From what i've noticed lego seems to mostly be designing the sets with details that captivate the younger audiences before anything else matters.

Which isn't a bad thing. BIONICLE is, was, and remains a kid's toyline after all. Some of us just happen to be adult fans of it.

• Upvote 1

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Eh, kids may be dumb, (I am still a kid, after all, at least for the most part), but these sets are labeled 7-14. Kids that are 7 are going to be able to notice a difference in two characters as distinct as Gali and Kopaka, and those who couldn't probably wouldn't care and would still have fun with the set anyways.

• Upvote 3

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

Seems I got back to this topic a little late, I was going to say exactly the same as Akavakaku. Counting the trans red and trans blue masks we have for Tahu and Gali we DO in fact have special versions for all 6 toa. Admittedly the last two will be hard to get for some of us (all of us if they don't sort out this nonsense with Gali's one!) but they still exist, regardless of how easy they are to obtain.

I've also just been able to view the comics that TOV uploaded and I find it unfortunate that it's yet more evidence that the 2015 storyline isn't following any kind of linear, canon plot. In each of the comics only ONE toa is relieved of their mask while all of the others still have theirs. That happens four times so clearly they can't all be accurate depictions of the actual events that occurred. Hopefully the videos will be more consistent with regards to the new sets but only time will tell. For now, I think it's safe to assume that NONE of the comics we see are going to be true to the storyline and should therefore be treated solely as fluff!  ;)

• Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

In each of the comics only ONE toa is relieved of their mask while all of the others still have theirs. That happens four times so clearly they can't all be accurate depictions of the actual events that occurred.

Er...Boss Rush, anyone? This could be a battle of attrition; the Skulls each encountering the Toa, trying to/stealing a mask and then attempting a getaway. The Toa are delayed trying to get the mask back, while Grinder has more time to destroy the MoCr. By the time the Toa get to Grinder, they're hopefully learning to rely on each other. Basically, an extended sequence of the LoSS fight in the animations for the Toa crossed with a tour of the Ancient City for the customer.

And honestly, who here isn't wanting the look around the City the Boss Rush plotline offers? I hope to see a riff on the 'Metru Nui in ruins' that the Hordika arc hinted at.

• Upvote 2

The second chapter book is scheduled to be released on December 29th, it is also titled revenge of the skull spiders, so is it like a late 2015 release or does that mean we're gonna get more skull spiders next year? 

It could be either, or it could be that the story will be a "side-story" separate from both years' main story (kind of like what all the Hero Factory chapter books and Ninjago graphic novels have been). It isn't out of the question that it might tie to the 2015 story, though — it's not unusual for the publishing schedule to lag a bit behind the set schedule in a theme's first year. The third and fourth Ninjago chapter books in the U.S, which told side-stories connected with the 2011 story arc, weren't released until January 2012, nor were the first two young reader adaptations of the 2011 TV special (and the third young reader book based on the 2011 TV special wasn't released until May 2012).

• Upvote 2

I know we've already seen what the combos look like, but I don't think anybody has posted really clear pictures of them here yet, so once again I dusted off my scanner and scanned the page of the instructions where each combo was featured (again, did it to fulfil a request on a different forum) so you can get a really good look at them:

70791, 70792 and 70793 combo70794 and 70795 combo 

• Upvote 4

My Flickr - My Brickshelf - My DeviantART

Latest MOC: Draphim the Dragonborn - Latest artwork: Mazzie Rati

MOC Accolades: Mechan'Rex, Steel Guardian (BFTGM 2nd place on EB) - Skeletal Dragon (Featured on BZP) - Skull Imitator Corphos (Featured on Creator's Corner) - CCBS Chess (Featured on BZP) - Draphim the Dragonborn (Most faved MOC of mine on Flickr) - BOB WIP (featured on Flickr's Explore page - don't ask me why)

If you see a creative topic from me, I'd appreciate a comment on it - it's how I learn and become better at what I do!

If the grinder/scorpio one shows up in the story, it seems we're looking at a recapitulation of Takutanuva.

Edited by Pereki

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

If the grinder/scorpio one shows up in the story, it seems we're looking at a recapitulation of Takutanuva.

I doubt it, to my memory Takutanuva was a one off and nothing like it has happened since (I could be wrong).

Well, Takutanuva is a combination of Takanuva and Makuta from G1. True that both combiners are made of a median-sized guy and a Titan-sized guy, but I think the Skull Ginder-Skull Scorpio combiner would use less pieces. I have a theory that this combiner could appear in the G2 story, the Skull Grinder would use the Mask of Creation to become this more powerful form, if the Mask could do that. That would be epic.:)

• Upvote 2

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I know we've already seen what the combos look like, but I don't think anybody has posted really clear pictures of them here yet, so once again I dusted off my scanner and scanned the page of the instructions where each combo was featured (again, did it to fulfil a request on a different forum) so you can get a really good look at them:

Very cool! I like the grabbing claw function on the 70794+70795 combination. The other one looks a bit s, though — some of that might just be the pose and exaggerated CGI colors, but I'm bothered by how far the shoulders stick out, how scrawny the lower body seems compared to the upper body, and how short the legs are relative to the torso.

I'm also noticing some other quirks of the Skull Grinder combi, such as that it uses three 8M gears for friction rather than two, and they are attached using the black 3M pin-double-axles that we first saw in Lord of Skull Spiders and other Technic sets early this year. I'm sure there'd be even more friction if it used the dark stone grey axle-double-pins that started appearing in sets last year. Both are good techniques to bear in mind in future MOCs!

I don't know if either combi model will have story relevance, but I'm sure there could at least be a hypothetical story role written for them, kind of like Makuta Nui in Bionicle 2003, Scorpion Beast in Hero Factory 2014, and the "Ultimate Fire Toa" and "Ultimate Ice Toa" from this year's LEGO Club Magazines.

I doubt it, to my memory Takutanuva was a one off and nothing like it has happened since (I could be wrong).

Well, Takutanuva is a combination of Takanuva and Makuta from G1. True that both combiners are made of a median-sized guy and a Titan-sized guy, but I think the Skull Ginder-Skull Scorpio combiner would use less pieces. I have a theory that this combiner could appear in the G2 story, the Skull Grinder would use the Mask of Creation to become this more powerful form, if the Mask could do that. That would be epic. :)

A cool concept but in the comic

SPOILERS!

the skull grinder appears to be trying to destroy the MOC not use it. 

It's time to move on.

70791, 70792 and 70793 combo, 70794 and 70795 combo

Very cool! I like the grabbing claw function on the 70794+70795 combination. The other one looks a bit s######, though — some of that might just be the pose and exaggerated CGI colors, but I'm bothered by how far the shoulders stick out, how scrawny the lower body seems compared to the upper body, and how short the legs are relative to the torso.

I'm also noticing some other quirks of the Skull Grinder combi, such as that it uses three 8M gears for friction rather than two, and they are attached using the black 3M pin-double-axles that we first saw in Lord of Skull Spiders and other Technic sets early this year. I'm sure there'd be even more friction if it used the dark stone grey axle-double-pins that started appearing in sets last year. Both are good techniques to bear in mind in future MOCs!

I don't know if either combi model will have story relevance, but I'm sure there could at least be a hypothetical story role written for them, kind of like Makuta Nui in Bionicle 2003, Scorpion Beast in Hero Factory 2014, and the "Ultimate Fire Toa" and "Ultimate Ice Toa" from this year's LEGO Club Magazines.

Well, if these summer combiners appear in the G2 story, I would say that:

1. The Warrior-Slicer-Basher combiner - I would think that if these three Skull Villains are defeated and broken into bones, because they are living skeletons, they could magically pull themselves together to form the combination.

2. The Grinder-Scorpio combiner - The Skull Grinder would use the Mask of Creation to transform into this more powerful version of himself, if the Mask could do that.

As I said, if these would appear in the G2 story, that would be epic.:)

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Thanks so much for all the scans! I think the combos look fantastic (worlds better than the first wave's combos), and I dig the comics however measly they may be. I just love the art style I guess.

IetTsFQ.png

Apparently, the sets have arrived in France.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Well, Takutanuva is a combination of Takanuva and Makuta from G1. True that both combiners are made of a median-sized guy and a Titan-sized guy, but I think the Skull Ginder-Skull Scorpio combiner would use less pieces. I have a theory that this combiner could appear in the G2 story, the Skull Grinder would use the Mask of Creation to become this more powerful form, if the Mask could do that. That would be epic. :)

A cool concept but in the comic

SPOILERS!

the skull grinder appears to be trying to destroy the MOC not use it. 

I don't know why everybody seems to be assuming that. It's a forge, not an incinerator. Obviously, Skull Grinder is putting it into the forge for SOME reason, but there are a lot of reasons to put something into a forge besides destroying it. Maybe he's trying to tap into its energy somehow. Maybe he's trying to infuse it with the energies of the stolen Golden Masks of Power. Maybe it has some link to Ekimu that he's trying to break. Or maybe he's trying to reforge it into something different. Who knows?

• Upvote 8

Apparently, the sets have arrived in France.

In official Lego stores?

I think so, and other retail places.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

If the Skulls as a whole are a Boss Rush, the combos, especially Grinder+Scorpio, seem to be One Winged Angel; Grinder tapping into the MoCr's power for a strength boost. I don't like the fact that Ekimu's parts are being used, though. I'd've preferred having the Ultimate Grinder be able to face off with Ekimu and the Toa. Although, who knows? Perhaps that could be the last challenge to claim the MoCr.

If the Skulls as a whole are a Boss Rush, the combos, especially Grinder+Scorpio, seem to be One Winged Angel; Grinder tapping into the MoCr's power for a strength boost. I don't like the fact that Ekimu's parts are being used, though. I'd've preferred having the Ultimate Grinder be able to face off with Ekimu and the Toa. Although, who knows? Perhaps that could be the last challenge to claim the MoCr.

If you saw the scanned comic (or at least, the front box-art), it's clear that the Skulls (except Grinder, which is the endgame boss) are an army.

If you saw the scanned comic (or at least, the front box-art), it's clear that the Skulls (except Grinder, which is the endgame boss) are an army.

Just going by the comics, it's possible that Slicer and Basher are individuals. Only Scorpio and Warrior are shown as multiples. I think that's unlikely, but it would be cool to have both swarm enemies and unique characters in the same wave.

IetTsFQ.png

Whoa the 70794-70795 combiner looks very very cool.  I might have to buy duplicates so i can have one assembled alongside its individual components.  The MoC looks very very awesome.  I am way hyped to get my own.  It definitely challenges the Hau as an iconic mask.  I can't wait to read the books and see whats in store for the MoC and all he characters.  

• Upvote 2

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

Whoa, the Grinder combiner is on par to a Makuta titan set. Looks really interesting, and with the Mask Maker parts kinda getting a Takutanuva vibe here. The other combo model though has a bit too much colors for my taste though

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Just going by the comics, it's possible that Slicer and Basher are individuals. Only Scorpio and Warrior are shown as multiples. I think that's unlikely, but it would be cool to have both swarm enemies and unique characters in the same wave.

That would be the best way to do it IMO. 

Also, those combiners look fantastic! I love the Takutanuva vibe off of Grinder's and they both could have made great titan sets in their own right. Well done TLG, keep this up! Now hopefully they will appear in story.

Edited by ToaDraco

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

...Why the heck are the Skull bad guys running TOWARDS the Toa after taking a mask? It doesn't make sense. Also, Gali should have gotten an opponent.

...Also, Onua should be more than able to take on Skull Basher. Eh. Whatever.  

keep in mind, he may be the master of earth, but skull basher is a supernatural corpse (and still manages to be super buff, think about it, a muscular skeleton.)

also he bashes skulls, that's important too.

Edited by Rahkshi Lalonde
  • Upvote 3

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png