Corpus Rahkshi

Wyrd Bid Ful Araed

IC Diode:

I shook my head apologetically, "I meant your level. If you've been here longer than....well pretty much everyone, your level must be...."

"Isn't this all too easy for you, then?"

Now I was more curious, and confused. If they were even only level four, they'd have a serious advantage over almost any opponent. It was no wonder they'd won their fight....

IC: Exxan - Gym.

I shook my head, "Raw power isn't everything. Skill, tactics, and weapons are just as important. It's why I'm here." 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

"Take it from someone who's seen and suffered a lot more than you," I'd forgotten what it was like to be this naive. This rahk was in for one karz of a wake-up call someday, "Survival isn't nearly as easy as you think it is." 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

IC Diode:

I grimaced. They had a point, there. If they were older, they probably did know more than me in that regard. Not to mention all the scars they had. Painted over, but I could see them.

One hand rubbed the stumps on my back. My own scars.

I blew out a breath. "You're probably right. Sorry, I didn't mean to get into an argument with you, I just...think about variations a lot. My name is Diode."

"I'm Exxan," I waited, curious to see if the name would elicit any reaction from the rahk. Unlikely, given that my distinctive colouration wasn't the aspect of my appearance that had caught his attention, but still worth checking. 

IC Diode:

Exxan....the name did ring a bell, as a matter of fact.

If come across the name whispered by others, or simply discussed in hushed tones. That said, the people I'd heard it from were not what I would call reliable sources.

And the Rahkshi before me didn't seem at all like what I'd overheard. He was either the genuine article or someone using the name to try(unsuccessfully) to use the name to their own ends. The latter seemed unlikely.

"I've heard of you. In passing. You don't seem like a 'callous murderer' to me, but then, I suppose with a Rahkshi it'd be hard to tell."

I grimaced. "Like I said, survival isn't easy." 

--IC: Exigent: In the Refectory--

"Oh, but I am minding my own business.  It's my business to mind other students' business."

--IC: Oshi: In the Courtyard--

Oshi managed to calm down somewhat.  She crawled out from under the bench cautiously.

--OOC:--

The paranoid is still Open For Interaction, if anyone happens to be in the Courtyard.

IC: Sliver - Refectory.

"That kind of attitude isn't going to get your anywhere in this place," I sneered, "Except, perhaps, the infirmary." 

I nodded, and turned my attention back to the tournament board. 

IC: Kekepua - Hallways

"People will not be taught if they do not wish to be; that is the nature of things. Besides, fire does not call followers to it, it chooses those who would carry it along and use it's gifts. Thus, our only debt to flame is to use it."

Besides all this, she would much rather use her time for her own endeavors, and she was beginning to feel restless.

"Perhaps," She began again, "If you'd like to put your time to good use, you could help me in something?"

IC: Sim - Infirmary

Up to only a few moments ago, Melody had seemed fairly content in Fate's presence. Now, though, it was obvious she was in distress. Fate's lack of sympathy or courtesy was frustrating when directed towards me, but I'd much rather have her displeased with me than pressuring others into her experiments. I stood, and intervened in the best way I could think of.

"Melody! How is your friend doing?"

IC: Fate - Infirmary

I frowned in distaste. Sim was only proving my point in our argument from earlier.

Edited by Coconut Fanatic

IC: Kekepua - Hallways

Her jaws clicked and popped, a devilish smirk curling into place.

"Wonderful. You see, I've been working on... a... shrine, of sorts. Yes, a room, dedicated to the splendor and majesty of fire. But I've run out of materials to decorate, so I need your help in finding more."

OOC: Apologies for briefly dying.

IC: Tube - Hallways

Rahkshi of Slow weren't known for their speed, but by the Makuta Tube gave it their best. Students, then beds and tables alike were shoved out of their way as they tore into the Infirmary on their singular quest. Once they found what they were looking for, they dashed out again without another word.

A few minutes later, and a breathless Tube was right back at their Master's side with the required item. "Here!"

IC: Melody - Infirmary

"I'd h-hate to wake her..." Melody began, and was fortunately spared the effort by Sim. "F-Fate did a g-good j-job tending to h-her, b-but now... w-we could f-fix her f-for good... or it m-might j-just make things w-worse..."

IC: Garrotte - Hallways

Her curiosity about the newcomer apparently appeased, Garrotte turned her stony gaze elsewhere as they walked. "This sure is a nice hallway."

IC: Thurisaz / Gym

"Excellent," Thurisaz thanked Tube. "Now, if you and Aerahk could please carefully load Torc onto it and deliver him to the Infirmary." With a graceful gesture he indicated unambiguously to the fallen Heat Vision Rahk. "Again - carefully." he added. "Don't make his injuries worse."

And it looked that the remaining combatants were now ready. "Okay everyone!" he announced. "The time has come for our tournament's second round! Rules are the same as before - no interference, murder, etc - and the pairings are:

Diode versus Paladin!

Percy versus Vyper!

Geuua versus Glass!

And Exxan versus Orimnoc!"

On the board behind him these names were moved to confront each other. Four of the platforms - moat-surrounded and circular, with perimeter pillars and arenaceous surface - arose once more, awaiting their respective combatants. "I wish each of the participants good fortune. The second round may now begin!"

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

IC: Geuua - Gym.

My lost hand was aching. Never a good sign... 

A lot of beings discounted Rahkshi suits as simple machines, disposable and replaceable, but that wasn't the case. Each suit of rahkshi armour was born from a living, breathing kraata, drowned and mutated in a cocktail of Makuta viruses and energised protodermis. The sentience of one kraata was snuffed out, to provide a home for another.

Our suits had bones, musculature, a circulatory system, and functioning nerves. We felt pain, endured exhaustion, and suffered through the world's trials and tribulations with all five senses. So it stood to reason that we would experience phantom limb pain as well. 

My hand had been smashed completely apart by a mace blow, and what little had been left had been sawed off when my Earth Claw had been installed, but sometimes, like now, it still felt like my hand was there, broken and dangling, throbbing with a persistent, painful ache. It was a foreboding feeling, and had more than once preceded a moment of danger or disaster. 

As I made my way up onto the platform, ready to face my next opponent, I found myself wondering if my lost hand was trying, once again, to warn me. Here we go again...

IC: Vyper - Gym.

Now.

Percy... I remembered this rahk. He and I had spoken briefly before the tournament began. He'd been looking for a friend, if I recalled correctly, and I had asked him about Xara. However, if he was expected lenience or preferential treatment simply because we'd once had a coherent conversation, he was going to be sorely disappointed. 

That was a privilege I hadn't even extended to my own siblings. 

Then.

"Well done," the Makuta crooned, lounging back in her throne as the fight drew to an end, "Now, kill him." A crowd of my siblings had gathered to watch the bout, and at those words a collective gasp rang out from the group, followed by a chorus of suppressed murmurs. We were encouraged to fight, to compete, but to claim the life of one of our own kin, even by accident, was an offence that our mother had always punished with the most torturous and agonising of deaths. 

"Mother?" It was the first time I'd ever hesitated at my mother's command. I didn't move from where I stood, though, one foot planted firmly on my foe's lower back, the other pinning his sword hand to the dirt floor. He was probably unconscious, but I knew better than to take something like that for granted. 

"You want to be an assassin, do you not?" she hissed, "That means you have to kill, without compunction or compassion."

"He's defenceless," I protested. This was a test, and I was failing.

"He's also your brother, but that didn't stop you from mangling him, did it?" I couldn't meet her gaze, instead finding my eyes drawn to the bloodied shaft of my staff, and the growing pool of ichor spilling from the ragged wounds I'd torn in my sibling's torso. I heard my mother sigh, and her voice took on a more sympathetic tone. "Look at me, child."

Slowly, I raised my eyes to hers. 

"Xara chose the soldier's life," the name sent another round of murmurs racing through the crowd. Mother rarely mentioned Xara, and she'd left for Corpus Rahkshi before most of us had been spawned, but we all knew of her nonetheless, "But you, the path you've set for yourself is much harder. The lives you take won't always be claimed in a glorious contest of skill, or the wild bloodlust of a heated battle. You will kill when needed, when necessary, when your target is alone, undefended and unwary. You cannot hesitate. You cannot wait. You can only do what needs to be done."

I glanced down at my brother. He really was unconscious, it seemed, or he would've said something by now. He was a few batches younger than me, by the looks of things. I hadn't known his name, or even met him before today. But he had been eager, so very eager to prove his worth. Mother had asked for a volunteer, and his hand had been the first one raised. He'd been skilled as well, and against any other of our siblings, he likely would've prevailed. But not against me.

"Now, show me that I chose right. Show me you have-"

I plunged my staff into the fallen rahk's kraata case, feeling first the metal, then the flesh beneath, give way beneath the jagged blade. A spurt of blood exploded from the rahkshi's mouth, and the entire suit spasmed, before falling limp the moment I ripped the blade free.

"-what it takes," she finished, her visage morphing into a smile, "Very good, Vyper."

Now.

Mother had shipped me off to Corpus only a few days later. I often found myself replaying that moment in my head, wondering if Xara had been forced to make that same choice, and whether any of the siblings I'd left behind were being asked to make that same fateful decision. More than anything, though, I found myself wondering what might have happened if I had chosen differently.  

I folded up my cloak and placed it to the side, before flitting up onto the platform. I wouldn't have to go quite so far, this time, fortunately, but what mattered was that I was willing to. 

Now.

This brought back some memories. Glass and I, making our way up to a platform. Sure, we were heading towards different platforms, but the similarity was still there. As far as I could tell, he and I were the only students who'd participated in that first assignment who were even still around anymore. The first assignment... How simple things had been back then.

Then.

"This assignment, should you choose to accept it, will be a mock assassination. You will be given the name of another student in secret with the goal to injure them in such a way that, if they were a Toa, they would be dead. Actually killing your target student will be frowned upon. There are no restrictions on how you achieve your goal, be it by stealth, cunning or just brute force. What matters is merely the result. Those wishing to take part in this game, step forward onto the stage now."

How naive I'd been back then, rushing to follow any direction the staff gave, so eager to learn and discover. In my mind, it had just been another assignment, another chance to develop my knowledge and skills. 

If I'd known then what I knew now, I might not have even left the library that day. 

But up I'd gone, onto that stage, telling myself that I had to put down my books and step out of my comfort zone if I wanted to really learn the truths I'd been searching for. I'd found truths, alright, just not the ones I'd been searching for. 

Now.

They were gone now, all gone. Some dead, some lost, but most simply forgotten. They'd faded from the cohort's memory, just as I had, and the course of Corpus Rahkshi had moved on without them.

I still remembered them, even if no one else did: Fall, Xara, Vir, Glass, Clockwork, Snake, Argun, Hashan, Dodge, Caoutchouc, Skia, Chekquars, Green, and, of course, poor, misguided Omega.

Then.

"This isn't about Fang. This is about you, challenging me, despite what Phogen would want. This was it. Your last act of defiance. You won't be doing it again. I want you to make a me a promise. Swear, on your life, that you will never challenge me again, in actions or in words. Using someone else to do your dirty work counts as well." 

"If you refuse, or ever break that promise once it's made, I will kill you.

That had been in the gym as well. Weird though it was, this room had been a bigger part of my life than it was even for the students who came here every day of theirs.

Some might make the mistake of thinking that killing Omega was the most shameful moment of my existence, but it was this instant, before his refusal, before my killing strike, that plagued me the most. I'd enjoyed it. The sense of empowerment I had then, standing over his broken-limbed body, knowing that I had total control over his fate, had been the most wonderful feeling I'd ever experienced up until that point.

I'd found better things since then - friendship, joy and even love, briefly.

But that fact - that I had relished defeating Omega, that I had exalted in his humiliation, that a part of me had been genuinely hoping he would force me to kill him - still haunted me. 

Now.

So many rahks had influenced my life: Silencer, Kat, Poly, Vaalku, Mahrika, Hoto, even Fang. Fang, who had somehow managed to simultaneously be my worst enemy and, at my lowest point, the closest thing I'd had to a friend.

Then.

"And why is that? We're Rahkshi, we're powerful. We were made to fight, and win, and conquer. Why have you chosen to feel sympathy for those who are obviously beneath you?" 

Karz, I'd thought I was so much better than him, back then. That having the resolve to end Omega's life made me the stronger of us. But I wasn't. I never had been, and likely never would be. Both of us had endured suffering of our own creation, but I'd inflicted so much more on him than he had to me. I'd taken his empathy for weakness, when it had truly been his strength.

And that was why, of the two of us, he was the one who was free, surrounded by friends, while I still remained in this cage, one more nobody in a sea of empty faces and purposeless lives. 

Now.

I glanced down at Blossom in its sheath as I waded through the moat and climbed up onto the platform. In a way, the slim knife was the only friend I had left. I'd lost it for a while, but unlike most of the companions I'd lost, Blossom had come back.

Or, more accurately, it had been given back. By another friend, who I both dearly loved, and deeply hated. 

Then.

She leaned on the table and shook her head at him. Exxan still had a ways to go, despite his progress. Still, she would speak plainly with her... Well, he was not an equal, but he was close. "I want to know the significance of both the increase in level, and this Rahkshi population's unnatural intelligence. You are the best one for the job, and hence, I would like to utilize your enthusiasm for this study and my interest in the results to garner a more secure, if more professional than personal, relationship between what I judge to be the two most powerful students in this school." She waited for a response with more than a bit of a devilish spark in her eyes and smile.

Strange that this is the first thing that always comes to mind when I think of Phogen. It wasn't the first time we met, or the last. It wasn't the moment we confessed our feelings for each other, or even the moment where I'd realised I truly did have feelings for her. It was, however, the first time in my life that someone else had told me how important I was to them.

Phogen had made me feel necessary, needed, and for that, more than anything else, I was thankful that I'd met her. 

Now.

I hadn't even thought about it the first time, but now that I was here, once again standing in the middle of the gym in front of a crowd of my fellow students, I was brought back to those moments after Omega's death, spattered with his bloodied skull fragments, and stinging from weeping wounds whose scars I still bore today. 

There'd been so much hate for me in the eyes of my fellow rahks. Now, there was indifference. They didn't know who I was, or worse, simply didn't care. It was terrifying, how quickly they'd become desensitised to death. 

Then.

"I gave him a chance to live. I offered to make him a deal. If he left me alone, if he never challenged me again, then I would let him leave with his life. He refused. He told me to kill him. If I had let him live, then he would have called me weak, for not keeping to my word. He would have gathered allies and come after me again. And again and again until he killed me. I had to end this. He gave me no choice." 

I still stand by those words. Not that anyone actually cares anymore, but I stand by them nonetheless. I did what I felt was necessary in the moment, and were I given the chance to have my time over, I wouldn't renege on my decision. 

There were a great many things in my life I regretted, but killing Omega wasn't one of them. For better or worse, killing him had been the catalyst that had made me the rahk I was today. 

Now. 

I stopped in the middle of the arena, one hand resting on Remembrance's hilt, the other hanging loose at my side, and waited for my opponent to join me on the platform. My past had made me who I was, and this tournament was an opportunity for me to figure out exactly what that meant. 

Edited by The Good Guys
  • Upvote 3

IC: Orimnoc

The brutish titan made her way up onto the platform, standing opposed to her new opponent. There were no decipherable emotions to be seen through her spiked helmet.

IC: Aerahk

"Yes, my liege." Aerahk complied with his lord's wishes to the utmost of his abilities.

IC: Helkyrie

"Is... is there anything else? Was there anything else you deciphered about me?"

Edited by Toa Onaku

IC: Paladin

I stepped up to the plinth.

I took a glance around.

A lot of the other fighters were a lot larger than me, and possessed extremely complicated weapons to use against each other.

I had my shield, and my sword. Not the most complicated weapons, but they were indeed sturdy, and were made especially for me.

Looking at my shield made me think of my little brother. Such a courageous, optimistic young soul. I wished I knew where he was, but perhaps I could make my time here useful and seek out some royalty to serve in the mean time. The rahkshi running the melee looked to be of some sort of nobility.

I snapped back to reality, and drew my sword, and waited for my opponent to step onto the plinth.

IC: Slif - Infirmary -> Gym

It wasn't long after Palma fixed me up that I got up from my bed and strolled out of the infirmary. I flung a quick "Thanks," over my shoulder before I was out of earshot though, I wasn't rude, after all.

Now, where should I go...? I wasn't all that hungry, so the refectory was a no. Same to the library, my head was still a little foggy from the blood loss. I'd have to make a trip back there sometime, seemed like the more sociable types hung around in there. Like that Exxan guy. Not that he was sociable, per se, but friendly overall. That fellowship group from earlier, they were there too. Didn't seem that they were too fond of me though.

Heh. Not much difference there.

I'd been watching my feet, lost in thought. Not too safe a practice around here. Casually, I brought my head back up, just in time to see the gym door to my left. There were still a couple of matches going on, I could sit and watch to wait for my head to clear. And- hey! Look at that, tiger stripes was here too, just getting ready for his next match. Must've done pretty well to make it to round two. I willed a chair to sprout up underneath me, content to watch the games.

IC: Phantom - Ruins on the Water

Gratefully nodding, she took the bowl. In contrast to her previous vigor, she slowly fingered the slop into her mouth, bit by bit.

"Thank," She mumbled out.

Her food slowly diminished. She wasn't really sure why, but she felt like all the mist around here was much thicker and solid than before. Her arms pushed and heaved, but seemed to need all the more effort to move. As did the rest of her, for that matter. Maybe it wasn't the fog? Something like this had happened before, in a way. When she had fallen the day before...

The bowl scritched under her fingers as they began scraping it empty. Idly, she continued, even after the larger portion of it was gone. Maybe Gaever knew what this is?

"Heavy... arms. Head. Heavy..." Tiredly lifting her face, she asked 'why' with her eyes.

IC: Sim - Infirmary

IC: Fate - Infirmary

"If you run that risk, then I'd say to hold off until you know what you're doing is safe."

"We run the risk of other's lives if we don't do anything. She has two people living in one mind. One capriciously violent, the other timid and kind."

"Oh come of your high pedestal, there are droves of violent rahkshi in this forsaken place. What's one more if it means we can save one of the rare, kindhearted?"

"What about her? What do you think her life must be like, forging friendships only to wake the next day to see them cower from her, or worse? Would you subject someone to that life?"

"No... I would never subject someone to that. But it's not my choice, or even your choice, it's hers."

It hardly seemed that either one of us was going to budge on this matter.

IC Percy:

As he made his way to the next platform, the little red Rahkshi looked over his opponent. He'd talked to them before. Now he looked over their arsenal. Knives, staff, Rhotuka. Their legs were different, but he didn't think it'd make much of a difference in the fight. Those claws might be an issue though. Overall, it seemed he had his work cut out for him.

He spaced his feet evenly, knees bent, blade in a low guard position on his right side.

Ready.

IC Diode:

I grimaced as I saw my opponent. Tall, heavily armed and probably armored, too. That shield was going to make this hard for me. But I suppose that was all part of the experience. I readied my own weapon, and mentally prepared myself for what I was sure to be an ordeal.

"You must be pretty skilled if you made it this far," I mused, flashing a friendly smile at my foe. I kept my stance relaxed, staff collapsed across my back, and wrist-blade in its sheath, "Tell you what, kid, I'll let you make the first move." 

I took a moment to size up my opponent's sheer size. Well, karz... This wasn't going to be fun. But I'd fought bigger, with friends at my back, and fought many, with no one at my side, and survived it all. 

Defeat was a real possibility here, but definitely not a forgone conclusion. 

IC: Lucid / Roof

"I think I've said enough for now," Lucid replied.

IC: Vlad / Hallway

"It helps zat zer valls... unt zer rest of zer buildink... regenerate vhen damaged," Vlad remarked.

IC: Gaever / Nynrah

Somehow Gaever was still surprised at this, if just a little. But she could explain. "Living entities periodically require sleep, a state of benign unconsciousness. This requirement is signaled by tiredness - a lack of strength and energy, and slowness of thought and movement. When these sensations occur, one generally seeks a safe and comfortable horizontal surface, a bed, to lie down on. Resting there, they will naturally lose consciousness - fall asleep - for several hours, until sufficient rest has been had and they simply awaken, no longer tired."

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

IC Spindle

"Is it?"

He had finally decided to make himself obvious. "Or is it His?"

Forcing himself to sit up, he was surprised to find no pain. Palma must've gotten to him when he wasn't awake. "It is not a matter of surgical precision or moral reconfiguration. It's a question of where is he. Is the mind hers, or is it his? Is this some fragmentation of conscious that has wormed itself into her very being? Or is it-"

His eyes went wide. Evidently, he had thought of something that had not occurred to him.

IC Hollow

He was obviously a master at metalworking.

Through what would have to be considered the most horrifying attempt at molding a weapon, Hollow had warped the machete into the most amalgamated form possible, and still consider it a sword. It had fancy details on the edges, horrible gashes along the backside, and the handle had a massive hole through it. Admiring his work of art for a moment, he turned to reconfigure Garrotte's sword when Thuriaz spoke up in a loud tone.

What? Why was I not informed? I would have loved to do this!!

Losing his anger for not being able to contribute, he was overtaken by interest as to what might occur. Setting up a stone platform akin to a chair, he relaxed and drummed happily on Garrotte's blade, waiting for the festivities to begin.

IC Xi

He still continued to shudder, although it was obvious he was slowly coming back to his senses. However, a silver Rahkshi suddenly appeared in the doorway. He looked around for a second before dropping a couple of the sheets he carried into the air and let them float gently down. Xi moved his foot right before a paper came to land in its former spot. It read:

WANTED

Tall Student with silver body and jaw attachment, customized fins, mail skirt, type Mind Reading. Capture alive.
Reward: Free trip to the Mainland

IC Fountain

After delivering his papers to the infirmary, he proceeded down the hall to the library, but not before running across Vlad and Garrotte. He looked curiously at the pair before walking past Vlad and practically shoving one of the pages in his hand, a terrified expression in his features.

IC: Melody - Infirmary

Melody fearfully stumbled back from the argument, her hand stretched out, reaching for...

IC: Tear - Infirmary

"I'm awake..." Tear said blankly as the hand rested on their shoulder. They sat up on the bed and watched Fate and Sim, their expression giving nothing away.

IC: Tube - Gym

Tube nodded and cheerfully followed after Aerahk with the stretcher, kneeling at Torc's side. They set the stretcher down and glanced at Aerahk. "When you're ready!"

IC: Paladin

I looked upon my opponent, and chuckled a little.

They were but a gremlin, no bigger than young Shield!

However, I knew that as a Knight, I must respect my opponents, and they had won the first round of this tournament.

That weapon, in contrast, did look formidable. I could not exactly tell what it was, but I could deduce that it was a Skakdi weapon, from the design.

Their variation was unclear. It seems that I would be going into this fight blind.

I pulled down my visor, and drew my sword, pointing it forward at my opponent.

"I am ready."

Orimnoc stood there, her sword in hand, ready for combat. She tried her best to contain her excitement. This was it. Her preferred opponent. Exxan. At last she was to face him.

She spun her sword in her hand, anticipating her opponent to wait for an attack. But she wasn't simply going to give it to him on a silver platter of blindly charging at him. There would be no charge from her. Instead, she raised her sword and calmly started to advance toward Exxan, ready to make any kind of evasive or defensive manoeuvres to try and dodge, block, parry or in any way reduce the damage taken from his attacks, whatever they would turn out to be.

IC: Helkyrie

"Alright... So... What do you want to do now? Should we get down from the roof? It's kind of breezy up here..."

I wasn't one to waste time with menacing walks and dramatic sword twirling. Instead, I sent a level four vacuum blast rippling towards my opponent's face. Even with all of their extra armour and rearranged plating, I doubted they'd be in any condition to fight after taking a few concussive air blasts to the head.

The blast of wind hit her face like a barrage of punches. She quickly used the momentum this gave her to roll backwards, away from Exxan, gaining some distance from him as to not let him catch her off guard. She shook her head to shake off the daze of getting such a hard blast of wind in her face. She expected something like this from him, of course. Now to see if he'd charge her, or try to send another blast like that. If he did send another blast, she'd have to be prepared to move at the slightest change in air pressure.

It looked like this fight was going to be over much faster than last time, as long as I kept in mind what I'd learned from the earlier bout. My previous opponent had adapted very quickly to my tactics, utilising their dodge powers to negate the effects of my air blasts, and forcing the fight into close quarters. I doubted this new foe would be able to evade my strikes as easily, but their added armour offered them a similar advantage, and engaging in a close quarters bout probably wasn't going to end well for me.

I needed to keep them at a distance, throw them off their game, and I had the perfect method in mind. 

Employing the same tactic I'd used in my last match, I sent a wide blast of air sweeping across the floor, whipping up the grains of sand that clung to its surface and sending the subsequent cloud of blinding particles lashing towards my foe's side of the platform.

Edited by The Good Guys

Karz, he's fast. I twisted to the side, causing the blade to tear a gash across my lower torso rather than impaling me outright. I clenched my jaw, refusing to give Percy the satisfaction of hearing me cry out, and fired off a Rhotuka at his torso.

Admittedly, I hadn't been expecting such a confrontational strategy from a dodge rahk. His speed and colouration had betrayed his variation, and as such I'd anticipated avoidance, rather than abject aggression. Still, the time it took for him to pivot and swing provided me enough of an opportunity to step back, and drop my arm below the arc of his blow. 

The decision to intercept my rhotuka rather than simply dodge it was perplexing. Did he not understand how the spinners worked, or did he simply not care? Either way, the result was better than what I'd expected, albeit not optimum. Gravitising his sword wasn't quite as useful as doing it to him, but it was something I could make use of nonetheless. 

I slid a pair of knives from their sheaths, one in each hand, and flung them towards his sword hand.