BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

Because there's been an IC precedent for it to explain it, rather than something completely bloody random happening to save his life?

Moreover, you realize you could, say, PM Snipe (AKA Utu's player) here and ask him how Utu stayed alive, rather than saying something that others might construe as insulting right here in the GD?

EDIT: Also, sorry to tell you Kughii, but Praggos has dibs on this.

Edited by The Otter

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

How is this not a deus ex machina?

A fair question. The action was extreme and unexpectedly saved a dead character and so would qualify as a deus ex, but provided permission from the staff was granted to authorize the action it is quite legal.

I presume such permission was given by another member of the game staff.

Marks were some pretty weird stuff, yo.

Don't fret about them too much.

Hubert, why would you spread such a colorful idea. Such things are infectious, you know.

Iris-sent such slander, and I'm sure Snipe would too.

:)

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I can understand why you feel this way about the situation. As EW said, it did expectantly saved a character. However-

A fair question. The action was extreme and unexpectedly saved a dead character and so would qualify as a deus ex, but provided permission from the staff was granted to authorize the action it is quite legal.

I presume such permission was given by another member of the game staff.

-this was planned by Tyler and I, and EW agreed with it as well. In addition, it stayed within the realms of realism by keeping past the 10 minute rule. He has brain damage now, can't even more his body at all, he's nothing more than a vegetable. It has been a while since we found out he died, but to the characters that know he's alive it has been very little time at all. Not that that simple fact makes doing this ok.

I still had to get some sort of approval from staff members.

Edited by turntechGodhead

samusbzpsig2.png.4c2dcd02e48c2219fb375b936c4a17ee.png
| BZPRPG Profiles |

You obviously didn't read very much- you missed the explanation which went quite far to explain what happened in logical and perfectly plausible sequence.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

If you guys are upset about this, you clearly didn't see what we got up to back in the Santun War. :)

It was a sign of character development when people came back from the dead--it was expected. To the point where I remember getting lauded for letting a character stay dead, back on Locus Abeo.

:w:

It was only CPR.

Only difference was it was a thing that did it and not a who.

If you consider CPR a deus ex machina, then it was a deus ex machina, even if I disagree, that's perfectly fine and I totally understand why one might come to that conclusion based upon the fact that is was rather unexpected.

Edited by turntechGodhead

samusbzpsig2.png.4c2dcd02e48c2219fb375b936c4a17ee.png
| BZPRPG Profiles |

Ya, last time I checked, coming back from the dead is kinda sorta a deus ex machina. Even with an explanation.

Try checking again. Ressurection is a widely used plot device. A deus ex machina (which I'm assuming you've never properly learned the definition of- no offense meant, it just looks like you're a bit confused) is when something completely illogical and impratical happens to a characters favor. If Utu had stumbled upon a bit of the mask of life or an elixir of immortality just laying around, it would have definitely been a deus ex machina.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

Additionally, it should be noted that this is not a deus ex machina for one very simple reason;

It is not unexpectedly changing things in a character's favor. It was planned. If Snipe really didn't want Utu to die, do you really think Tyler would have tried to kill him? Do you think that he would have been allowed?

The answers to these, in case anyone was wondering, should have been "no" and "no". This was a planned bit of character development with staff approval. Not a deus ex machina, and frankly, calling it such is a flagrant misuse of the term.

Edited by Simon the Digger

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

I do understand what Deus Ex Machina is. And although this is still explained, people don't usually get revived after five minutes of being dead, much less ten minutes. How this happened does make sense, but the likely hood of it working is next to zero. It has happened, I do not think it is worth discussing further.

-Insert deep message to prove I am alive here-

Because there's been an IC precedent for it to explain it, rather than something completely bloody random happening to save his life?

Looks like I was a few hours early. Yaaaay.

But yeah, the guys up above (or below, depending on your point of view) are correct. Especially that "flagrant misuse of the term" part.

Which is why it could potentially be construed as insulting, and also why this should have been sent via PM.

I do understand what Deus Ex Machina is. And although this is still explained, people don't usually get revived after five minutes of being dead, much less ten minutes. How this happened does make sense, but the likely hood of it working is next to zero. It has happened, I do not think it is worth discussing further.

First off: by the definition on that website, this isn't a deus ex machina. This was a problem neither unsolvable nor hopeless - after all, people have been revived from clinical death multiple times before - nor is it an implausible or divine concept.

As well, simply the fact that the event's happening does make sense differentiates it from a deus ex machina, which only makes sense if you say "it happened because the gods willed it," pretty much. And if you didn't want to discuss it you shouldn't have just brought it out like that - especially not in so blunt a manner as you did. ;)

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

"Further, it must be shown that the problem solved by a deus ex machina is of the kind that is unsolvable or hopeless. However, if some other type of intervention like common sense could have been employed to procure the same result then no matter how sudden the solution is it would not be termed as deus ex machina."

Cited from the very link you posted.

He was not revived after five minutes, he was revived within a minute or two by CPR, thus contradicting both requirements expressed above. Furthermore, contradicting the first cited requirement, he could easily have been saved in the exact same manner by a person arriving in the room to administer CPR.

As Snipe pointed out, multiple times, the only change is that the Mark was what forced his lungs to keep working. And if you were around in '12 when a Mark led to a full resurrection via body hijacking, you'd know that not only is there (an admittedly distasteful one) a precedence for this, there is precedence for much, much more.

By the very terms you cite, and countless ones I could cite from when we discussed this in my AP English class, it wasn't a deus ex machina.

But, you stated that you did not wish to discuss it further, so have a good evening.

fK5oqYf.jpg

Can the disgruntled parties please take this to pm if they feel the need to discuss further? Please?

About an hour too late, Kughii. :P

Plus, it was a matter, prior to its end, that involved a number of individuals, as well as pertaining directly to events within the game. Not only would it have been impractical to take it to PM at that point, though as Grochi pointed out that's where it should have started, it was no longer really viable.

fK5oqYf.jpg

Just wanted to share this piece of relevant artwork that some of you may or may not find interesting.

;)

That is a pretty great piece. Though i never knew of your character i would guess that is a good depiction of him?

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Lear now played by Canis Lycaon. I was sure surprised at how well he can write first-person tree-speek. I look forward to seeing more. :3

MNW REMINDER: as always, the MNW is a news service made by fans for fans. Please send in by PM your favorite weekly highlights to be read in the "Highlights with Gear Director" segment (addressed to Dr. O), and your favorite players/characters of this week to Kughii.

Happy role-playing!

The Mata-Nui Weekly Crew

Edit: I'm really in the mood to jam an epic fight of ballistic proportions. Someone PM me if interested. :) I guess we'd have to use NPCs, or backstory, or something... :)

Edited by Kughii

PC characters still available:

• Kwaiya
  • Kamari
  • The Angler
  • Kriigata

EDIT: Kriigata now played by Tyler Durden.

EDITING AGAIN: Kamari now played by Voxumo.

EDITING ONCE MORE: The Angler now played by Emissary.

Edited by Kughii

PC characters still available:

• Kwaiya
  • Kamari
  • The Angler
  • Kriigata

EDIT: Kriigata now played by Tyler Durden.

EDITING AGAIN: Kamari now played by Voxumo.

*salutes you*

I shall not disappoint you.. Though i will admit this will be my first Dasaka character..so yeah will look forward to this

Edited by Voxumo

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Wait, I thought you said you were keeping Krii?

I did originally, but after a hard realization about what's going on in my life right now I decided it's better to pass her on to someone so the Brotherhood doesn't lag because of me in Ko. Really the only characters I'm going to keep for now are Ishi, Riaril, and Koga.

EDIT: The Angler now played by Emissary.

Edited by Kughii

What...

Well, I'll sort this all out after Christmas...

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

So. I'm back.

I skimmed the Dasaka topic, and I'm getting some serious Feaudal Japan vibes. Which means, of course, I'm going to have to create a character. (Now, how would a dye artist get some action....?)

Can someone give me a rundown of events since the timeskip, or link me to such a rundown?

Edited by Yukiko

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

Rm7yy.gif 5ZCxv.gif Fg6i2.gif XdRcW.gif XnHTK.gif R4KHt.gif HIAEQ.gif C2fJG.gif YvuFW.gif W5NHW.gif

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.