Did you think Bionicle Would End, When you Collected?

Fang RRB

Everything ends, but it's best not to think too hard about it if you don't want to end up nihilistic (in the bad, pessimist way.)

So you could say that it wasn't a shock when it ended, but neither was it pleasant for having expected an eventual end.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

I actually didn't think it would last. The Slizer/Throwbots and Roboriders had only lasted a wave or two each, and most other themes didn't stick around that long. Heck, I still remember being very happily surprised when the Bohrok were revealed.

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

BIONICLE's end had never really crossed my mind.  I was happy enough to get the sets I got and build with them.  When it did end I was a bit sad initially, but realized I'd gotten almost ten years of fun from it (now thirteen years and still growing) and nothing would ever take that away.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

Well of course. It was always designed as a story with an end.

I knew there was a possibility something besides the conflict between Mata Nui and Makuta (and allies) could take over, but it always seemed questionable. Certainly not something I would rely on. Alternative would be to never bring resolution to that and I never wanted that.

2010 did seem like a fairly natural place to end it too (decade after start!); only reason I didn't really expect it was we had heard of tentative plans for a few more years. But it was always said it would end when/if sets stopped selling and that could always come at any time. So when it was announced, it wasn't really a surprise.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Well, if you look at something like... say...  Transformers, It took the original show like 2 seasons to actually move forward. Bionicle clearly had an end in mind, it wasn't simply: "Oh darn you have foiled me again see you net week." (Well okay it was kind of like that except it was see you next year but that's not the point.)

Once it hit Metru Nui it was clearly going somewhere. 

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

In hindsight, I know that all things must end, but back when I was a kid, following the story and playing with the toys, the story seemed to grow up with me. I never thought it was going to end. I thought it was going to keep growing, and developing as I did. It was the most memorable thing in my entire childhood, the one thing I had in common with all of my friends. I actually cried after reading Journey's End. It was a very harrowing experience for me, saying goodbye to something that had been part of my life for literally as long as I could remember. 

But it wasn't that Bionicle ended that upset me, it was the way they ended it. With so many loose story threads in the serials and stuff left unfinished, and the Bionicle Star's as the only sets from that year. I felt almost like I was being punished for sticking with Bionicle for so long. And there was so much regret... sets I wished I'd gotten, but would never again have the chance to collect. 

I feel like Bionicle 2015 might be a chance to avoid making those same mistakes (I have a lot more money this time around). 

So, in answer to the original question, I did somewhat expect it to end, but when it did end, it was way too soon for me. I wasn't ready, and I'm still not. I don't know if I'll really ever be, to be honest. 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

It ended sooner than I expected, that's for sure. After having it for so long, I kind of took it for granted, that it would always be there. If it comes back I don't think I'll make that same mistake again.

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Greg always said Bionicle would continue as long as sets were selling, and the line did continue for so many years that I was genuinely surprised when it did end.

That said, given some of the problems Bionicle hit after 2006 (the extent of which has become more apparent since Lego reps became more open about them) I'm surprised it went on for quite as long as it did.

To be honest, I never really thought about it. I started collecting at 7, and stopped around 12, and I didn't really think much past "read new comic, buy new set." Now I know that everything has to end sometime, so Bionicle had to as well. Would I have thought it would end when it did? Not especially. However, I don't really know how the toys were selling.

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people, people he's never met before and who don't know his name, can live." -Hahli

I didn't think it'd go on forever, but at the same time, the thought of it ending never crossed my mind until 2009, when it was stated to end in 2012 or 2013. Then they bumped it up to end in 2010, which disappointed me a lot. It wasn't a very good ending either.

Exactly the same with me. Those ten years seemed to go by really fast...

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Well, everything has to come to an end. Obviously when I was younger, I refused to think about that ever happening, as we knew there were years of story left to tell. Sadly, it ended prematurely and I was greatly saddened by it. Yes, I cried when Lego sent that letter to BZPower. I was sitting at my desk I am now and just lost it. I grew up with BIONICLE and while at the time, I was glad the story would continue, I still wanted sets. I was 14, give me a break.:P

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

I thought it would end right after the Phantoka line (I was 9 at the time) due to all the stuff they were saying about it being the final battle. Imagine my surprise when the Mistika were announced! :D My friend, another BIONICLE fan, was equally surprised.

mindeth the cobwebs

I thought bionicle would end after the 2007 storyline. But that was because I probably didn't bother to see what would go on after (my favorite) matoran had passed.

Although, some people here did think the 2008 storyline is just as good. So maybe I'll go read the novels if I ever get around to it.

I thought Bionicle would end in 2008, and I wanted it to end in 2008. 2006-07 felt like "excuses to put off the inevitable" to my adolescent mind, whose impatience was already screaming to end the thing already. "You're just gonna drag it out, and drag it out!"

My opinions didn't change too much around 2010 - I still wanted it to end, but the 2010 ending felt really sloppy IMO.

Of course I did. Pretty much all LEGO themes end at some point or another, no matter how elaborate their story. The main exceptions are generic "evergreen themes" like Castle, Pirates, Space, and City, and even those see individual themes begin and end within those categories (examples: Fright Knights, Islanders, Insectoids, World City).

I might be a bit of an exception, though, because I was already a LEGO fan long before I was a BIONICLE fan, so I had already seen lots of different themes come and go. Honestly, the fact that BIONICLE stuck around as long as it did was extraordinary, but even so I knew it would probably end eventually — it just wasn't clear for a long time just when that would be.