Incorrect Building

Boidoh

Have you ever built something when you were younger, but built it incorrectly and always thought that THAT was the right way to build it?

I recently discovered that the way I build my Sea Spider is incorrect - by canon. I remember building a cheap version of it, since I didn't have the spare parts to build the entire thing. When I eventually did, all I did was attach a few legs here and there, a bohrok eye there, and thought THAT was the way a Sea Spider looked...

Then I read my Nuju manual the other day... How wrong I was... Childhood ruined. :P

But seriously, as a side question, is the rhotuka spinner on the sea spider really UNDER it?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I once built one of the sets a bit wrong, and it stayed that way for years. Until, one day, I looked at the instructions and realized something looked a bit off.

I don't recall exactly WHICH set it was, but I believe it was one of the titans from '03/'04/'05.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

It's definitely happened to me a few times as a kid. Not much, but I've been there. The mistakes usually weren't huge or set changing, but honestly, who cares! It's LEGO; a set should be whatever the heck ya want it to be!

Oh but this topic is bringing back so many good memories for me, thank you!

I once built the Exo-Toa incorectly. You know the grey and silver pads he has on the legs ? Well, I put both grey ones on one leg and both silver one on the other leg. I noticed it months later while looking on a description on the 2002 Bionicle Website.

"I feel far far away from everything I've ever known, but when I look back, I think of you"
LewaKini.png
Credits to Eeko for the banner. Lewa is awesome.

I don't remember if I ever built one of my sets incorrectly. Usually I caught any mistakes I made before finishing the set I was building. 

Then again, It's been a long time since I've built anything Lego-related, so its possible I built something wrong, fixed it later, and just not remember it. :P

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I'm not going to go into specifics, but let's just say that you shouldn't let a six-year-old try to build a Bohrok if aforementioned six-year-old has never built anything larger than a Va.

It was ... disturbing.

I'm really curious.

Any chance of a picture of a rough replica of Errorok? :)

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Building the toa Mata, I never really paid attention to how the hand pieces were oriented on the hips in the instructions or pictures, so my Toa are of varying unofficial heights. :P

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

I'm not going to go into specifics, but let's just say that you shouldn't let a six-year-old try to build a Bohrok if aforementioned six-year-old has never built anything larger than a Va.

It was ... disturbing.

I built the Bohrok correctly first time, I only looked at the picture on the canister :D Call it a test of my ability if you will :)

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

I built my Lewa and Kopaka mata with their shoulders placed like Tahu, and Gali with the narrow shoulders. Worked out well sonce it gave the two a more masculine look, while more femininity to Gali. :P

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

My most recent incorrect building has to be Tahu Master of Fire, to be fair though, I didnt really have instructions so I believe I can be excused. However, now that the instructions have been released, I was able to complete him fully and I really like the set. 

http://imgur.com/a/kdqOQ#k0sP1nD

http://imgur.com/a/j7QE6   :D

Back on topic though, I remember building all of my Toa Hordika and Toa Metru slightly taller than what it should be, nothing too big. However I completely messed up Fenrakk when I first got him. 

Edited by AdaptingChaos

I can't remember any sets I ever had built incorrectly in the long term — I usually fixed any inaccuracies as soon as I noticed them.

I am aware of some alterations other people made to their sets either by mistake or by choice. Sometimes people I speak to online are a bit surprised to learn that Toa Metru Matau, Whenua, Onewa, and Vakama are all supposed to be built two modules shorter than Nuju, Nokama, and Lhikan (shortening the torso one module and also attaching the Y-joint neck to the axle hole on the top of the torso beam rather than the one on the front). To be honest, I don't know whether I ever made the mistake of missing one or both of these differences between the Toa Metru.

I can't remember any sets I ever had built incorrectly in the long term — I usually fixed any inaccuracies as soon as I noticed them.

I am aware of some alterations other people made to their sets either by mistake or by choice. Sometimes people I speak to online are a bit surprised to learn that Toa Metru Matau, Whenua, Onewa, and Vakama are all supposed to be built two modules shorter than Nuju, Nokama, and Lhikan (shortening the torso one module and also attaching the Y-joint neck to the axle hole on the top of the torso beam rather than the one on the front). To be honest, I don't know whether I ever made the mistake of missing one or both of these differences between the Toa Metru.

Despite my earlier mentioned errors with the Mata, I did manage to catch those differences heh

I always had Avak's right arm the same as all the others. I didn't look at the instructions properly. :P

That's still a thing wrong with mine...but I don't feel like digging in the attic for it.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Anyone ever found incorrect building instructions, or instructions that are different from the pictures? The one that comes to mind is Thok, where his leg armor is upside down in the instructions compared to all the other Piraka. I'm pretty sure there are others.

Actually i think that Thok is the only piraka who was intentionally designed that way.

I remember that i reversed to position of the L shape balljoint on lewa and kopaka mata sets and they still are that way, there wasnt anything wrong but the poseability was better with the way i built them.

qs3135.jpg

I once got a small bin of BIONICLE parts at a garage sale when I was a kid. I used some pieces to build Kopaka Mata without instructions. Apart from having to substitute an unavailable eye color, I made the shoulders too wide. You know how the Toa Metru shoulders look, with the thingy in between the arm and the torso? Yeah, I built him like that, just with a Mata torso...

mindeth the cobwebs

Anyone ever found incorrect building instructions, or instructions that are different from the pictures? The one that comes to mind is Thok, where his leg armor is upside down in the instructions compared to all the other Piraka. I'm pretty sure there are others.

Sea Spider is built one way then looks the next. I think Pridak has different eyes on the box art. Mahri Nui Matoran don't even have eyes but do on the box. Same goes with the Voya Nui Matoran.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I always had trouble figuring out which way the limbs for some of the Mata/Nuva were REALLY supposed to go, as well as the head attachment on the Metru. And with the Inika clones onwards, it's always a mystery juuust where the hibs attach to the torso unless you're really paying attention. I can't really remember any time I messed up a build so badly that it'd be a memorable difference, though.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Actually i think that Thok is the only piraka who was intentionally designed that way.

I remember that i reversed to position of the L shape balljoint on lewa and kopaka mata sets and they still are that way, there wasnt anything wrong but the poseability was better with the way i built them.

Thok's stock and promo photos have him with the same legs as the other Piraka.

I can't really remember any specific occasions, but I've definitely built some sets incorrectly. I've got fond memories of digging through a small pile of parts trying to find the right piece, only to find that I already used it in the wrong place...

Oh yeah, I did place Hewkii Inika's thigh armor pieces upside-down (or right-side up, I don't remember how they're supposed to be oriented). I liked them better that way.

IetTsFQ.png

The 2006 (disney) Good Guy is a prime eample of this. The instructions even show the error within a few inches of each other. He has one type of staff in the set picture and a different one in the building instructions, both on the same side of a small sheet of paper!

001.jpg

• Upvote 3

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I haven't had any of the sets I've purchased in the past 6 years built incorrectly at all. However, I used to have Hewkii and Thok's upper leg armor the same as their allies, despite them shown being flipped in the instructions and images. Before 2006, I used to have the sets built correctly, even the Toa Metru with the body designs, and somehow I built them correctly only at 5 and a half years of age, though I had slight help from my brother and sister but I still managed it mostly by myself. :)

I haven't had any of the sets I've purchased in the past 6 years built incorrectly at all. However, I used to have Hewkii and Thok's upper leg armor the same as their allies, despite them shown being flipped in the instructions and images. Before 2006, I used to have the sets built correctly, even the Toa Metru with the body designs, and somehow I built them correctly only at 5 and a half years of age, though I had slight help from my brother and sister but I still managed it mostly by myself. :)

I'm pretty sure the instructions are the only place where the leg armor is flipped. All the promotional pictures have them the same as their allies.

I'm pretty sure the instructions are the only place where the leg armor is flipped. All the promotional pictures have them the same as their allies.

Huh, they do so. I wonder what the reasoning is behind this idea of having one Toa and one Piraka's upper leg armor be switched around? 

I'm going to leave them how the instructions show them to be built though.

I've got fond memories of digging through a small pile of parts trying to find the right piece, only to find that I already used it in the wrong place

I did this with the Kardas Dragon, except replace "piece" with "colour"... I was pretty much done, working on the second foot, instructions said i needed one flat 2-length beam in black. Only one of those I had left was one of the mahogany ones... whoops!