• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

is bzpower dying?

BZP

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Tohunga

• 05-October 09
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 19 2018 - 04:57 PM

It felt like it was already dead after the malicious attack it had years ago which put the site off for a year or so, and after we had to let go of the old archives when it had come back :(

Just a geeky guy trying to learn the craft of writing stories.

#42 Offline Terton

Terton
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 16-September 09
  • 3,868 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 20 2018 - 04:47 AM

It felt like it was already dead after the malicious attack it had years ago which put the site off for a year or so, and after we had to let go of the old archives when it had come back :(

That downtime was for forum upgrades, not because of an attack.

#43 Offline Trigo Nui

Trigo Nui
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 26-April 07
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 23 2018 - 08:21 PM

I definitely think the advent of social media is what killed it, assuming one can agree that is dead. I'm not sure when I started going inactive -- probably around the time G1 ended -- but what really made me forget about BZPower was getting on social media in 2013. On Facebook, I have found a vibrant Bionicle community, and I have little need for a forum because I like the format of Facebook better. This issue is compounded for people on multiple social media accounts. It eats up a lot of non-productive time, and thus the forum gets ignored as social media takes up an increasing amount of attention. 

Plus, when it comes to the internet, stuff just goes out of vogue. For example, I was a huge fan of Goodreads back in my high school years. But since then, people have moved on and none of my friends from there are active anymore. That said, there are still corners of the site where quiet conversation occurs, and the same applies to BZPower. In order for a community to be truly dead, it has to leave the minds and hearts of every living person, and I don't see that happening for a few decades. 

At times like this he wonders if the Great Beings are truly brilliant beyond imagining, or hopelessly mad. Or if there's even any difference between the two..."

#44 Offline fox&rabbit

fox&rabbit
  • Banned Members
  • Tohunga

• 25-July 16
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 02 2018 - 11:57 AM

I thought about this. If you think it is dead, why haven’t you left yet? Is there something here worth saving?

#45 Offline Downfall

Downfall
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 01-March 18
  • 43 posts

Posted Mar 02 2018 - 03:10 PM

It has been mentioned a couple times: BZPower won't be dead until every single person on the internet decides to leave.

(Clarification: On the site, not on the entire internet.)

People are coming back to voice their opinions on wether or not the site is dead, helping to recuperate the site in the process.

In any case, most people on this thread need a hug, or at least an emoji of one.

(I apologize that I'm unable to provide one at the moment.)

Edited by Downfall, Mar 02 2018 - 03:13 PM.

<p> :smilematoro: {Downfall out.}

#46 Offline Windseeker

Windseeker
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Literally Kagome

• 05-February 03
  • 6,593 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Mar 03 2018 - 08:10 PM

I thought about this. If you think it is dead, why haven’t you left yet? Is there something here worth saving?

I'm only here to coordinate avatars with my girlfriend if we randomly decide to.

Otherwise, no, I finally accepted that there was nothing worth saving here anymore after having been the victim of hate speech because of my identity when I came out, after having had to stand through and deal with one of the worst meltdowns I can remember as upper staff in someone's attempt to bring everything down with them (while personally attacking me and my identity for no discernible reason during this), after having been the target of eyebrow-raising stalking as well as public and private harassment for no discernible reason either, and after realizing that there was nothing I could do alone to save a niche forum against the tide of internet culture. Even if people had been willing to help, there wouldn't be any significant changes either.

I know I'm being deliberately pessimistic here. If you can find something worth saving on a forum that struggles to bring in anything close to 50 posts a day, go ahead. And good luck.

In any case, most people on this thread need a hug, or at least an emoji of one.

After the ###### people put me through here, yes, I could use one.

Edited by Windseeker, Mar 03 2018 - 10:04 PM.

#47 Offline fox&rabbit

fox&rabbit
  • Banned Members
  • Tohunga

• 25-July 16
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 05 2018 - 12:50 AM

I'm only here to coordinate avatars with my girlfriend if we randomly decide to.

Otherwise, no, I finally accepted that there was nothing worth saving here anymore after having been the victim of hate speech because of my identity when I came out, after having had to stand through and deal with one of the worst meltdowns I can remember as upper staff in someone's attempt to bring everything down with them (while personally attacking me and my identity for no discernible reason during this), after having been the target of eyebrow-raising stalking as well as public and private harassment for no discernible reason either, and after realizing that there was nothing I could do alone to save a niche forum against the tide of internet culture. Even if people had been willing to help, there wouldn't be any significant changes either.

I know I'm being deliberately pessimistic here. If you can find something worth saving on a forum that struggles to bring in anything close to 50 posts a day, go ahead. And good luck.

After the ###### people put me through here, yes, I could use one.

After reading this, I feel sorry for you. Here are some hugs: 

Hugs-To-You-Glitter-Heart-Image.gif

I hope you feel better soon.

Edited by fox&rabbit, Mar 05 2018 - 01:26 AM.

#48 Offline Sir Kohran

Sir Kohran
  • Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Attacks!

• 14-April 02
  • 3,493 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2018 - 12:23 PM

Is it just me or have topics on this become a bit of a tradition since 2015?

Well, a forum can only stay busy for so long when its main subject matter has been dead for years (yes it came back, but not for long enough and perhaps not prominently enough to make much difference). Add in people moving on with their lives and interests as they get older and the established membership isn't going to be here forever (or at least not here in the same numbers or at the same rate they once were). And then there's the rise of social media that plenty has already been said about.

​Still, I think it's an accomplishment that we're still seeing at least some activity after so long; as Aanchir said that's better than some other Lego forums out there.

#49 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 21-March 06
  • 4,528 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 11 2018 - 12:57 PM

Man, topics like this have been a tradition since at least 2010. :P

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence
Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

#50 Offline Sir Kohran

Sir Kohran
  • Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Attacks!

• 14-April 02
  • 3,493 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 11 2018 - 01:18 PM

Man, topics like this have been a tradition since at least 2010. :P

I remember concerns in about 2013, but they were mostly about drops in activity. It's only been in the last few years that people have been talking about the site dying, though maybe they just mean less activity rather than the site actually closing.

I remember 2010 to 12 as still solidly active, seeing as Bionicle had only ended recently and Hero Factory provided at least something new in the constraction world to talk about, whereas now we have pretty much nothing new at all.

#51 Offline VBBN

VBBN
  • Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 29-January 06
  • 1,894 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 13 2018 - 11:24 AM

BZP is a city compared to Mask of Destiny which is somehow still barely existing, so there's that

#52 Offline KanohiCelt

KanohiCelt
  • Premier Member
  • Defender of Freedom

• 31-October 01
  • 3,141 posts

Posted Apr 25 2018 - 01:14 AM

Bionicle.....is......eternal...... :bzp:  :biorules: 

CELTMAN THE FIERCE
Kanohi Collectors Guild
Secret Handshake Society
1 of 5

#53 Offline Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Tohunga

• 05-October 09
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 30 2018 - 05:39 PM

BZP is a city compared to Mask of Destiny which is somehow still barely existing, so there's that

I still have no idea why they changed their website layout to such an ugly one. What is to be benefited from that?

Just a geeky guy trying to learn the craft of writing stories.

#54 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Another Chir Brother

• 04-September 06
  • 6,658 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Apr 30 2018 - 08:18 PM

I still have no idea why they changed their website layout to such an ugly one. What is to be benefited from that?

zIFBoards (the forum software Mask of Destiny used) was acquired by Tapatalk, which discontinued the old forum software and made their own Tapatalk Groups service the default option for those site owners to convert to. The same thing happened to another Bionicle site I used to use — it was bewildering when I first checked back there.

#55 Offline Wrinkledlion X

Wrinkledlion X
  • Premier Member
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 26-January 03
  • 5,140 posts

Posted May 15 2018 - 03:55 AM

I'm inclined to say yes, though looking at the main forum right now—1:45AM, my time—I can see three members active, two of whom (Phyoohrii and Planetperson) I recognize from the old days of BZP. I also see 361 guests online, though whether those are bots or actual humans I can't say. So maybe the forum's still got some juice in it! I've watched a lot of forums die and this one's doing pretty well compared to them, probably just because it used to be such a titan. Even if the titan is dead, there's still lots of meat for the flies to buzz around, y'know?

I agree with Akaku that consolidating the forums might be the way to go. Right now the main board gives the impression that things are really dead even though new posts are being made all the time, just because of how many greyed-out threads there are. If you consolidated things you might be able to downsize the remnants of a giant forum into a tiny, cozy place that caters primarily to the loyal community members who are still around.

#56 Offline Taka Nuvia

Taka Nuvia
  • Premier Member
  • Tahnok-Kal Overloaded

• 11-October 07
  • 4,435 posts

Posted May 15 2018 - 10:29 AM

[..]

I agree with Akaku that consolidating the forums might be the way to go. Right now the main board gives the impression that things are really dead even though new posts are being made all the time, just because of how many greyed-out threads there are. If you consolidated things you might be able to downsize the remnants of a giant forum into a tiny, cozy place that caters primarily to the loyal community members who are still around.

That would be cool, Maybe keep the general categories but get rid of the sub-parts (e.g. the creative subforums: combine GA, Comics and Fan-Created Media. Games&Trivia should probably remain its own thing).

#57 Offline Sir Keksalot

Sir Keksalot
  • Members
  • Armored Protector

• 30-July 16
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted May 15 2018 - 05:57 PM

nah. it died a long time ago.

This, no matter how many times people try to argue that it's just a different atmosphere. It's dead, y'all, and not even the Gay Agenda can save it now.

Have you tried putting chemicals in the water?

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

#58 Offline I Exist

I Exist
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 27-July 06
  • 1,358 posts
  •  

Posted May 16 2018 - 04:33 PM

Might be. We are far from the prime days. However I think it's normal. We are far from the prime days of Bionicle as well, considering it has ended.

I used to be active a lot back in the days. I started checking the forum back in 2002 and only joined a few years after that. I was mostly around for the Bionicle news, the storyline and theories as well as the Artwork forum. I used to run a comic serie there. I was also active on the Buy/Sell/Trade topic back then.

When Bionicle G1 ended, I stopped most of my activities, and when I completed my collectibles collection to a satifying extend, I stopped being active.

However, I always kept on checking the forum regulary and I still do, even tough I rarely post anymore.

I had a great time on Bzpower as a kid and as a teenager, and I'll always be a Bionicle fan, even tough I'm 24 now.

I'ld be sad to see the forum close for good, and I think we are far from that. I just don't have much time to be active here anymore.

"I feel far far away from everything I've ever known, but when I look back, I think of you"
LewaKini.png
Credits to Eeko for the banner. Lewa is awesome.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users