• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Bionicle Conpendium

Featured bionicle book comic collection

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CrunchbiteNuva

CrunchbiteNuva
  • Members
  • Conqueror of the Swarm!

• 711 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 02 2013 - 12:23 AM

FRONT PAGE! Thank you guys :)

Click thumb for larger image:

a_compilationthumb.png

More Photos:

http://www.majhost.c...ry.cgi?f=277170

Edit: Added a book jacket, everything's all good now :)

Edit: it appears that i spelled compendium wrong all over the book, i will have to fix that, what i get for working so late...Here it is, my baby. A handcut, sewn, and bound Bionicle comic collection :)

I started on this last year, looking for all the issues I was missing seeing as I started liking Bionicle around the time of the Mask of Light Movie. Then came all the atrocious stuff that I did that would make you guys want to kill me. I cut off parts of the first comics so that they would be the same size of the more recent ones, and also removed the staples and punch in holes for the thread. However, school came and this was left in storage until I finally got to it this summer. Got the web-exclusive Ignition 6 printed out and also a table of contents. Sewing took about 2 days, gluing and putting on the cover took today to do. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied and stoked (except for having to cut those part then my friends and family were asking why didn't I just make it into 2 volumes instead? )Progress pics can be seen here and I will upload more pictures of the final product later:

http://www.majhost.c...ry.cgi?f=272775

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Black Six, May 20 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#2 Offline LordofBionicles

LordofBionicles
  • Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 562 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 02 2013 - 10:39 AM

Really great man! I think this is better than the graphic novels because with those you ought to be very careful not to open it to much cause it´s delicate

new_sign_310714.jpg

#3 Offline Captain Caboose

Captain Caboose
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,541 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 02 2013 - 08:53 PM

That book cover looks nice. Gives it the feeling of Bionicle.

BZPRPG Profiles

Flaredrick Seria - Potas -'Jet Fire' -'Razor'- 'Infector' - Reso 'Vo - Kasrar 'V- Ludvin va Betravo - Vallen Tor - Molvr Kalr

#4 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 1,080 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 04 2013 - 09:47 PM

You must sell these.Gah I want it so bad.But wow, that looks seriously amazing.How many hours would you say it took?

ezgif-save.gif

My Writing Blog (Updated frequently)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (Updated frequently)

BZPower Chronicles, my BZP comedy. ~~Finished!~~

Species, my dystopian Bionicle story and its respective Review Topic.

#5 Offline CrunchbiteNuva

CrunchbiteNuva
  • Members

• 711 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 04 2013 - 09:53 PM

You must sell these.Gah I want it so bad.But wow, that looks seriously amazing.How many hours would you say it took?

I can't quite remember. Like I said, it was a total of 3 days that I took to actually make this. Prep work (removing the staples, etc.) was maybe only one hour. Sewing maybe 8 hours in the course of 2 days, and gluing the spine and cover literally took a whole day from morning to night. So, 20+ hours, I guess.

This is one of those things I really wished LEGO would've thought about selling when they decided to end the storyline (still waiting on an Art of Bionicle book also :P)

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva, Jun 04 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#6 Online ~The 1st Shadow~

~The 1st Shadow~
  • Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,255 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 05 2013 - 02:07 AM

Crunchy, you never cease to amaze. This looks incredible! I could almost mistake it for an actual book being mass-produced for consumers everywhere. Truly astounding bit of work, here.

But cutting some of the comics to fit with the newer smaller ones? The thought of that makes me cringe a little. 

That aside, may I ask how you did the texture on the cover? It almost reminds me of mold that you sometimes find in older books. Gives it an older, worn look. Great job!

Posted Image

askcyrahk2.jpg

Credit to Shattered Mask Productions for the signoff!

#7 Offline CrunchbiteNuva

CrunchbiteNuva
  • Members

• 711 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 05 2013 - 10:00 AM

Crunchy, you never cease to amaze. This looks incredible! I could almost mistake it for an actual book being mass-produced for consumers everywhere. Truly astounding bit of work, here.

But cutting some of the comics to fit with the newer smaller ones? The thought of that makes me cringe a little. 

That aside, may I ask how you did the texture on the cover? It almost reminds me of mold that you sometimes find in older books. Gives it an older, worn look. Great job!

Posted Image

Thanks! I bought some textured paper from Michaels, the art store and I just printed my cover off of that. Originally, I was gonna find some metallic paper and try to give the book a worn down look as if it came from the age of metal. For the mold stuff, I Googled aged paper textures and took one that I liked and tweaked it for use for the cover.

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva, Jun 05 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#8 Online Toa TAK

Toa TAK
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Shattered

• 4,790 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 05 2013 - 01:43 PM

[color=#0000cd;]That's so cool! I thought for a second you were selling this because I would've gotten this right off the bat. The cover and jacket feel so right with Bionicle. And the UUD symbol and the alphabet is a nice touch. Looks pretty offical with the logos and all.[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]Now do a big book with all the chapter books from scholastic. ;)[/color]

[color=#0000cd;]TAK[/color]

[MNOLG The Movie Website]

rsz_1onua1024.png
Need to start a poll? Or start a topic in Games & Trivia? PM me!

#9 Offline Funcle K.

Funcle K.
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 2,232 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jun 05 2013 - 06:07 PM

Better than my collection, they're just in sleeves and tucked away in a Staples box. =C

Do you have all the issues or just starting after #13 or #14? Just saw the construction gallery.

And if you do, did you include some of the extras like the McDonald's "Challenge of the Rahi?" or the Metru Nui lunchable promotions? I'm also curious as to how you dealt with some of the mini comics like #10 or #12 and how you can justify cutting up D'anda and Sayger's. (He gave me a free print at ComicCon, bless him)

I hope for your sake you aren't bothered by the double misspelling of Compendium on the book (not the dust jacket though) and the fact that bottom of the Lego and DC logos should be aligned with the bottom of the book when it's standing upright.

I love the unique presentation of each set of comics, but I can't say I wouldn't love to a nicely fat volume like this as a lovely coffee table edition to compliment them.

Edited by Copper Empire, Jun 05 2013 - 06:07 PM.

SignatureFullname2_zpsc17d42ac.jpg

#10 Offline CrunchbiteNuva

CrunchbiteNuva
  • Members

• 711 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 05 2013 - 06:20 PM

Better than my collection, they're just in sleeves and tucked away in a Staples box. =C

Do you have all the issues or just starting after #13 or #14? Just saw the construction gallery.

And if you do, did you include some of the extras like the McDonald's "Challenge of the Rahi?" or the Metru Nui lunchable promotions? I'm also curious as to how you dealt with some of the mini comics like #10 or #12 and how you can justify cutting up D'anda and Sayger's. (He gave me a free print at ComicCon, bless him)

I hope for your sake you aren't bothered by the double misspelling of Compendium on the book (not the dust jacket though) and the fact that bottom of the Lego and DC logos should be aligned with the bottom of the book when it's standing upright.

I love the unique presentation of each set of comics, but I can't say I wouldn't love to a nicely fat volume like this as a lovely coffee table edition to compliment them.

I didn't have any of the promotional comics unfortunately nor could I find them (Most of the early comics I had to buy from online stores that specializes in selling overstock/used issues)

The mini comics were sewed in as well; I didn't scan and print larger versions since I had them and didn't want some leftovers out of the book. I didn't want to have to scan all the pages and just have a bindery make the book for me, that's expensive and I really wanted something I made with my own hands. Really don't know what to say to Sayger because yeah, he's a cool guy (gave me a free print, also :))

I changed the rotation of the logos because it just seemed weird to me the other way and I've seen some volumes with logos like that (I could easily print out another book jacket if I want.)

#11 Offline Funcle K.

Funcle K.
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 2,232 posts

Posted Jun 05 2013 - 06:37 PM

I changed the rotation of the logos because it just seemed weird to me the other way and I've seen some volumes with logos like that (I could easily print out another book jacket if I want.)

I think normally they will be sideways if it's a longer logo, like DC's Vertigo, if it's a press, or the spine is really thin. DC would also most likely flip the locations of Lego's logo and theirs, since it's standard practice for the DC logo to go at the bottom of the spine.

The horizontal and vertical centering on both of them seem too close on the bottom, but again, it's your book. If you're happy with it then it turned out right. "Compendium" also is not centered under Bionicle, but when standing up it gives it more gravitational visual weight, so /whatev, you know?

SignatureFullname2_zpsc17d42ac.jpg

#12 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members

• 1,080 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 06 2013 - 07:09 PM

How much would you estimate it cost?

ezgif-save.gif

#13 Offline CrunchbiteNuva

CrunchbiteNuva
  • Members

• 711 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 06 2013 - 09:43 PM

How much would you estimate it cost?

If LEGO were to produce something like this commercially, I would guestimate from $60-70 average based on spine thickness (almost 2 inches) and from comic collection/compendium books I've seen being sold by Marvel/DC/TopCow/etc

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva, Jun 06 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#14 Offline The Legendary TNT

The Legendary TNT
  • Members

• 699 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 07 2013 - 08:25 AM

This is fantastic! I want to make one of these, except for the serials. The only thing I'm going to say is, don't cut up comics. It feels sacrilegious to me. You should have found this instead. The pages are quite smaller than the comics, though. Other than that, great job!

new_sig_legacy_2.png

#15 Offline Fastcar800

Fastcar800
  • Members
  • Toa

• 150 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 19 2013 - 09:59 AM

VERY nice work! I am impressed! I wish I could buy this. XD

virux4.5-500.jpg

Semi-active As Of 11/20/2013

#16 Offline BioSlayer

BioSlayer
  • Members
  • Toa

• 191 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 19 2013 - 04:26 PM

that's awesome! Ill take 10 of them.

My lego.com name is frodobaggins29, And I am bioslayer on eurobricks.
I am a Lego Brand Retail employee.

#17 Offline Toa of Nerds

Toa of Nerds
  • Members
  • Emerging Stone Champion

• 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 19 2013 - 04:35 PM

I throwing money at my screen in a vain attempt to purchase it.

-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Kicking the Bucket (archived)

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)
Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!
Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

Posted Image

#18 Offline Obsessionist

Obsessionist
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,276 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 19 2013 - 04:54 PM

This makes me all teary and nostalgic.  Truly beautiful work.  I'm really impressed with the quality!

1395440177m_SPLASH.jpg

#19 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members

• 1,080 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 19 2013 - 05:15 PM

I want to make one of these, except for the serials.

Same here. But it should also include all the Bionicle books as well (obviously not in that massive font, though).

ezgif-save.gif

#20 Offline The Lonesome Wanderer

The Lonesome Wanderer
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 692 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 19 2013 - 05:17 PM

You have earned all of the yes, my friendAll of it.Please add constructive feedback when you comment on someone's project. Let them know what you like or don't like about it in as much detail as you can. Other wise you might end up adding nothing to the conversation. -B6

Edited by Black Six, Jun 19 2013 - 09:22 PM.

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

#21 Offline Voltex

Voltex
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • The Storyteller

• 4,443 posts

Posted Jun 19 2013 - 05:22 PM

This is awe-inspiring. Fantastic job; Imyself would never be able to do this, mainly because I can't stand sewing for the life of me. I wish I could, though. It would certainly open upva whole other realm of artistic possibilities.Maybe I'll give it another go sometime - it's stuff like this that influences me in my own personal projects. Great job again.

weissbannerv2.jpg

#22 Offline Vakama-san

Vakama-san
  • Members
  • Toa

• 187 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 19 2013 - 05:26 PM

That looks simply amazing! Great job!Although the thumbnail keeps sending me to a blank page instead of a larger picture...
Posted Image

#23 Offline Dapper-Sama

Dapper-Sama
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 457 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 19 2013 - 06:54 PM

This was quite the endeavor. I'm kinda glad you did this, to organize shortened versions of early comics in one reliable tome! 

Morally unambiguous.

#24 Offline Shadow Destroyer

Shadow Destroyer
  • Premier Member
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 1,715 posts

Posted Jun 19 2013 - 07:34 PM

Amazing. Lego definitely needs to make something like this!

Also, how did you make the book jacket?

Edited by Shadow Destroyer, Jun 19 2013 - 07:38 PM.

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! {Brickshelf Gallery}

Watch me on Youtube! {Link}

#25 Offline CrunchbiteNuva

CrunchbiteNuva
  • Members

• 711 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 19 2013 - 07:58 PM

Amazing. Lego definitely needs to make something like this!

Also, how did you make the book jacket?

Same way I did the original grey cover in the progress pics, I printed it out on 3 separate sheets, trimming and folding the ends where I would glue them to make them look more presentable.

#26 Offline Kraahlix

Kraahlix
  • Premier Member
  • Stone Champion Defeated

• 2,789 posts

Posted Jun 19 2013 - 08:27 PM

Great work!Please add constructive feedback when you comment on someone's project. Saying,' great work,' adds nothing to the conversation and is considered spam. -B6

Edited by Black Six, Jun 19 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#27 Offline Naina

Naina
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 222 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 19 2013 - 11:23 PM

It's... beautiful.

Seriously, if you could find a way to mass produce these, I'm sure half of us would buy it. (I would, for one.)

What kind of binding agent did you use for the spine? It must be really tough to keep it from falling apart again.

Edited by Naina, Jun 19 2013 - 11:30 PM.

~KH~

Posted Image

I'll take your part

When darkness comes

And pain is all around

Like a bridge over troubled water

I will lay me down

#28 Offline Torran

Torran
  • Members
  • Scavenger

• 625 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 20 2013 - 02:16 AM

[color=#000080;]Wouldn't cutting the comics ruin the read?[/color]

tumafest.jpg

#29 Offline aljarreau

aljarreau
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 16 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 20 2013 - 03:18 AM

Dang, now that is a work of art.

Would love to have one in my bookshelf :D

Especially loving the "official" look it has :D

Edited by aljarreau, Jun 20 2013 - 03:20 AM.

#30 Offline Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!

Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!
  • Members
  • Toa

• 118 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 20 2013 - 04:08 AM

Me wantee. Seriously, though, well done on undertaking such a huge task. Now all that's needed is to spam LEGO until they mass-produce it.

It's like, a box set, only for comics. I love box sets. Although I will side with the majority in that I disagree with the trimming of the classics. I would have scanned them and printed them off smaller.

-L- to the -K-

HERO FACTORY WILL BECOME MILDLY COOL.

BIONICLE WILL REMAIN EPICLY AWESOME.

I WILL INVENT THE PANCAKE.

Why yes, I DO also like Sonic The Hedgehog!

#31 Offline guru gelu

guru gelu
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 43 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 20 2013 - 01:35 PM

Nice... Now I want to do something like this!

Did you include the Brickmaster cover variants from '05?

My Brickshelf
Current collection:
2001:
Onua, Pohatu
2002:Tahnok, Kopaka Nuva, Gali Nuva, Lewa Nuva
2003:Panrahk
2004:Bordakh (X2)

2005:Oohnorak
2006:(None)
2007:Dekar, Defilak, Takadox
2008:Gorast, Antroz
2009:Tarduk, Skrall, Tarix, Malum, Mata Nui, Vastus, Stronius, Tuma, Fero and Skirmix
2010:Tahu
And random pieces I bought off Bricklink.
Throwbot/Slizer collection:
1999:Torch/Fire, Scuba/Sub, Ski/Ice, Turbo/City, Amazon/Jungle, Granite/Rock, Electro/Energy, Jet/Judge
2000:Blaster, Millennium/Millennia, Flare, Spark

I also have Jimi Stinger from Breakout.

#32 Offline Duarack5

Duarack5
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 885 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 20 2013 - 05:25 PM

If Lego actually sold this, I would buy it in a heartbeat

Onuarock.PNG

#33 Offline Makuta_of_Oz

Makuta_of_Oz
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Fluidic Master Defeated

• 3,536 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 20 2013 - 06:08 PM

If Lego actually sold this, I would buy it in a heartbeat

Me too!

I actually saw this on another art site, and immediately submitted it to a Bionicle-based group I run there!

wearewaiting.gif
Credit goes to JrMasterModelBuilder for the banner.

The Bring Back Bionicle Club is back! PM me or leave a message in my blog if you want in.

Baterra are awesome. They enforce weapon laws. Please support their cause on CUUSOO.

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Learn this phrase. Love it. Hold it dear. Bring it back. If you know what this means, and/or agree with me, copy this into your sig.

#34 Offline X-Ray

X-Ray
  • Members
  • Scavenger

• 613 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 20 2013 - 11:18 PM

[font="'trebuchet ms', helvetica, sans-serif;"][color=#008080;]This is truly a monumental piece of work. If only such a work was produced by the folks over at LEGO. At least we have the Papercutz graphic novels.[/color][/font]

[font="'trebuchet ms', helvetica, sans-serif;"][color=#008080;]:akaku: X-Ray :akaku:[/color][/font]

#35 Offline CHTrilogy

CHTrilogy
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui Defeated

• 3,187 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 21 2013 - 04:06 AM

D'you know, I've seen this already on that one art site! It's still as impressive now as it was then!

~ CHTrilogy

whob.png

#36 Offline Kadra

Kadra
  • New Members
  • Inhabitant

• 2 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 22 2013 - 07:04 AM

Beautiful, simply beautiful. I wish there were more I could say, but... well, this is excellently done. 

#37 Offline darkslizer

darkslizer
  • Members
  • Toa

• 158 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 14 2013 - 09:24 PM

SELL THEM.

The_Brotherhood_of_Makuta_by_Arzeron.jpg

Comply.                Create.                  Consume.

#38 Offline Onarax

Onarax
  • Members
  • Toa Ignika Soars

• 19,096 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 15 2013 - 01:27 AM

My god. This is beautiful.

I would definitely buy this.

gallery_107889_133_3220.jpg

#39 Offline Loganto The Bo-Matoran

Loganto The Bo-Matoran
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 803 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 10 2013 - 01:38 PM

HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT FOR THIS.

I actually tried doing this nice, but t's in a ###### binder and has only like, 2/3 of the comics.

output_fmwrer.gif   1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png7.png   output_fmwrer.gif

(Links do not work at the moment)

#40 Offline Soaring Strawberry

Soaring Strawberry
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 281 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 24 2013 - 06:40 PM

daaaaaaang that looks amazing! I wish I had thought of that!

banner_offline_-_copy.jpg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users