OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

To be exact, this isn't the same brown that was used on 01 or 02 Pohatu. That was Mata Brown, officially known as "25 Earth Orange." And it isn't Metru Brown, either. (Which is officially known as "217 Brown", which was a short-lived color. This brown is Hewkii Brown, officially known as "38 Dark Orange". I'd say it isn't too risky, because Dark Orange is a good compromise between a dark brown color and a bright, vivid orange color. It isn't too orange, but it's still enough too look vivid and colorful.

True enough, looking at the Pohatu pic on Bionicle.com on my monitor definitely makes him look more akin to the orange in 2008 than any previous iteration of brown. I personally love the colour, and I hope the consumers really do too. 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Also, Pohatu has always been orange. First Earth Orange in 2001 & 2002, then Bright Orange in 2008, and now Dark Orange in 2015. :P

I always found saying this misleading. Visually, the color Pohatu was 2001-2002 was clearly brown. If you pulled any old person off the street and asked them what color that piece was, unless you pulled a -chir brother, they'd say "that's brown". It does not look orange. Saying "Pohatu has always been orange" always struck me as a misleading way to try and convince people it wasn't a radical change to make him Bright Orange in 2008 (even though it obviously was.)

I am a fan of the new color, though. Much better than using Bright Orange, which doesn't really evoke stone at all. Yes, some stones can be that bright and vivid, but the point of the Toa's colors isn't "the element CAN be these colors" it's "these colors evoke that element in people's minds". A brownish shade like Dark Orange does that much better than Bright Orange ever will.

(Someone pointed out Air not being green when I said this before but need I remind you which element was changed because its color wasn't evocative enough of its element? Colors do matter.)

The orange thing was a joke. Obviously Pohatu's old versions don't look orange. They obviously look brown. It's funny how the classification of Lego colors does things like this. Take a look at the colors for the Toa teams & the Piraka:

MATA/NUVA

• Bright Red
  • Bright Blue
  • Dark Green
  • Earth Orange
  • Black
  • White

METRU/HORDIKA

• New Dark Red
  • Earth Blue
  • Earth Green
  • Brown (not the original brown but a very short-lived Lego color used from 2004-2006)
  • Black
  • White

INIKA/MAHRI

• New Dark Red
  • Earth Blue
  • Earth Green
  • Metallic Dark Grey
  • Black
  • White

PIRAKA (Not a Toa team but worth mentioning here)

• New Dark Red
  • Earth Blue
  • Earth Green
  • Reddish Brown
  • Black
  • Light Stone Grey

NUVA 2008 (Phantoka+Mistika)

• New Dark Red
  • Earth Blue
  • Bright Yellowish Green
  • Bright Orange
  • Black
  • White

2015 TOA

• Bright Red
  • Bright Blue
  • Bright Green
  • Dark Orange
  • Black
  • White

The only colors that remains as one of the primary colors in the Toa teams are black & white. I find it funny that the "regular green" is actually Dark Green and the "new green" is Bright Green, which technically means it mataches up with the other bright colors. So technically, if you wanted to create a Toa team using the brightest primary colors...

• Bright Red
  • Bright Blue
  • Bright Green
  • Bright Orange
  • Black
  • White

And for a Toa team with darkest colors...

• New Dark Red
  • Earth Blue (Dark Blue doesn't exist)
  • Dark Green
  • Dark Orange OR Dark Brown
  • Black
  • White

And for earthiest colors...

• New Dark Red (Earth Red doesn't exist)
  • Earth Blue
  • Earth Green
  • Earth Orange
  • Black
  • White

Yeah. :P

Lego is like the Model T: You can have any color as long as it's black.

• Upvote 2

Yep, looks like the constants are always Black and Whi-- wait, Thok uses Light Stone Grey? All this time I thought he used White.

Nope. I think the reason he used Light Stone Grey might have been that if he had used pure white, his teeth wouldn't have that gleaming white look (and, in a worst case scenario, they might actually look slightly greenish due to the phosphorescent paint).

Keep in mind that Light Stone Grey equates to Bricklink's Very Light Bluish Gray, not Light Bluish Gray. Light Bluish Gray (sometimes called "Light Bley") is officially called Medium Stone Grey.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

Am I the only one who looks at the skull spiders and thinks The Legend of Zelda?

Nope. I actually saw a funny comic a while back showing Tahu angry over how none of his attacks were working, while Link is like, "You gotta wait for it to turn around, dummy."
Ha. Never thought of them that way. Cool stuff :P. BTW, do you happen to have the Link to that comic? (Horrible pun is horrible xP)
  • Upvote 1

"It's all a trick, you see. They want me to pretend to betray them. They want you to concentrate your forces here against an attack that won't come. But I decided: Why pretend to betray them when actually doing it would be so much more fun?"
— Vezon to Tridax, Destiny War

EDIT: Guys, I just realized something...

Mangai means Protector. Remember the Toa Mangai? Take a look a the Protectors. The Protectors are the reboot's Toa Mangai, and maybe even also the Metru. Coming soon to Bionicle... Legends of Metrokoto... coming in 2018! :P :P :P 

...But Mangai is the Maori word for mouth, silly!

Obviously 2018 is going to contain head pieces with removable mouth guards. 

@2Tie: Yeah well "Rahi" means "size" in Maori. So Toa are larger in Rahi than Matoran. :P

@The Irrational Rock: But I'd rather have articulated fingers in 2018... :P

Little Onya sure has grown since 01 without changing his primary color.

Onya?

RETURN OF THE ONYA MISSPELLLING!!! :P 

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Interestingly enough, this means that 2001 Onua and 2015 Onua will have the same color black. 

Actually, by pure coincidence, the three larger Toa all preserve their original primary colors, while the three smaller Toa all have different colors from the originals.

(The only one of which I object to being Lewa, because honestly it's similar enough to his old color to make the change seem unnecessary yet different enough that old Lewa's pieces can't be used with new Lewa's pieces seamlessly.)

Interestingly enough, this means that 2001 Onua and 2015 Onua will have the same color black. 

Actually, by pure coincidence, the three larger Toa all preserve their original primary colors, while the three smaller Toa all have different colors from the originals.

(The only one of which I object to being Lewa, because honestly it's similar enough to his old color to make the change seem unnecessary yet different enough that old Lewa's pieces can't be used with new Lewa's pieces seamlessly.)

I don't mind the new Bright Green color, especially since Dark Green has never been made into CCBS shells. Bright Green does look brighter than Dark Green but I still can't decide which I prefer.

• Upvote 1

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

If Takanuva returns, what do you guys think he should look like? White & Gold is already taken by Kopaka, so how about glow-in-the-dark white? What do you think about yellow & keetorange (flame yellowish orange)! I think that would be pretty cool. Or maybe he could have transparent yellow (not neon green) bones & glow-in-the-dark white shells! Or maybe transparent clear bones & yellow & keetorange shells! Or perhaps trans-yellow bones & yellow or keetorange shells... what do you think? Yellow seems like a good idea for a Toa of Light, seeing as it and purple are the only colors not primarily used by one of the other Toa. (Pohatu's color is Dark Orange, so orange is too close and purple is featured in the Earth sets quite a bit now.) Also, yellow & keetorange seem like light/sun-oriented colors to me.

• Upvote 1

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I think Gen2!Takanuva in trans-yellow bones & predominantly glow-in-the-dark-white armour would be awesome, with a bit of gold armour & silver armour. I wouldn't want to see any orange on him (Except for a few small gear parts which I generally don't mind if they are in yellow/orange/black/grey regardless of the rest of the colour scheme. For whatever reason it never bothers me...) although I might like it, but I highly doubt it.

For whatever reason the colours: trans-yellow, glow-white, silver, & gold; sound strange to me but when I visualise it it looks awesome. (If they're in the right quantity & distribution!)

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

I don't mind the new Bright Green color, especially since Dark Green has never been made into CCBS shells. Bright Green does look brighter than Dark Green but I still can't decide which I prefer.

In a sense, the new Lewa's Bright Green almost feels like a compromise between the original Lewa's Dark Green (Mata Green) and the 2008 Lewa's Bright Yellowish Green, the same way that the new Pohatu's Dark Orange feels like a compromise between the original Pohatu's Earth Orange (Mata Brown) and the 2008 Pohatu's Bright Orange.

I am excited at the prospect of Bright Green becoming more common. It's a color that's been underappreciated for too long, I think. It looks fantastic and works great in combination with the existing palette. of Tr. Bright Green parts.

• Upvote 1

In a sense, the new Lewa's Bright Green almost feels like a compromise between the original Lewa's Dark Green (Mata Green) and the 2008 Lewa's Bright Yellowish Green, the same way that the new Pohatu's Dark Orange feels like a compromise between the original Pohatu's Earth Orange (Mata Brown) and the 2008 Pohatu's Bright Orange.

I am excited at the prospect of Bright Green becoming more common. It's a color that's been underappreciated for too long, I think. It looks fantastic and works great in combination with the existing palette. of Tr. Bright Green parts.

I'm withholding judgement on the bright green until I have the actual sets in hand. As for Dark Green, I keep thinking of Cragger, but that's probably a different hue than either of these. 

I think the bright green might work better with solid lime, though, which I have a bunch of parts of. I'd love to get Cragger, Lewa, Jungle Protector, and Pohatu with those trans-lime limbs and see what I can do with the mix. I might just do that. 

I put all my old sets away in preparation for next year. Has anyone else done this?

I actually got my old sets out and made them more accessible. I'm looking forward to MoCing. 

I'm withholding judgement on the bright green until I have the actual sets in hand. As for Dark Green, I keep thinking of Cragger, but that's probably a different hue than either of these.

Yep, CHI Cragger uses Earth Green (Metru Green). Bricklink refers to Earth Green as Dark Green, which is part of the reason why this gets so confusing.

• Upvote 1

I think the bright green might work better with solid lime, though, which I have a bunch of parts of. I'd love to get Cragger, Lewa, Jungle Protector, and Pohatu with those trans-lime limbs and see what I can do with the mix. I might just do that. 

I put all my old sets away in preparation for next year. Has anyone else done this?

I actually got my old sets out and made them more accessible. I'm looking forward to MoCing. 

Cragger uses Metru Green, officially known as Earth Green. Yeah, it can get confusing when Earth Green looks like what would supposedly be Dark Green, until you find out that classic green is actually Dark Green. It seems that the main shades for Lego colors is something like Bright, Medium, Dark, & Earth. Most basic colors are in the "bright" section, except for classic green which is in the "dark" section.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

My sets have been chilling in my closets for year now. It's almost like I've been prepared to get some new sets for that long. :)

Though I do wonder where I'll put them when I want to store them someday? Guess I'll just have to make room somewhere. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

If Takanuva returns, what do you guys think he should look like? White & Gold is already taken by Kopaka, so how about glow-in-the-dark white? What do you think about yellow & keetorange (flame yellowish orange)! I think that would be pretty cool. Or maybe he could have transparent yellow (not neon green) bones & glow-in-the-dark white shells! Or maybe transparent clear bones & yellow & keetorange shells! Or perhaps trans-yellow bones & yellow or keetorange shells... what do you think? Yellow seems like a good idea for a Toa of Light, seeing as it and purple are the only colors not primarily used by one of the other Toa. (Pohatu's color is Dark Orange, so orange is too close and purple is featured in the Earth sets quite a bit now.) Also, yellow & keetorange seem like light/sun-oriented colors to me.

I think it would be really really neat if he was at least partially made up of clear/trans-white parts, and maybe featured a return of the sparkly color from his special Avohkii? I think that would be pretty unique and fit his element and still fit in with the other Toa, seeing as they all utilize trans pieces too. While Kopaka already has white and Gold, I think using gold as the primary color with white as the accent would be different enough, especially since Kopaka uses those blue bits and if Takanuva had special white CCBS limbs/skeleton he'd stand out spectacularly.

Now I really want a Takanuva with specially molded white and clear limbs and armor, dang. Trans-yellow too, maybe? Now that it turns out Pohatu is trans-lime green, the color is still available for Taka! :D

• Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Anyone wanna see this as a set? :P

EDIT: Huh, I've gone from a Protector to a lightning voyager? I was going to put a Protector in my signature of something but it's a bit late for that now. Maybe I'll put a Toa of Lightning? :P

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

*cries*

I wouldn't mind him showing up as a 'Matoran' or Protetor, but only if he wasn't in disguise as a different *cough*Fire*cough* tribe *cough*TaCentricism*cough* ...which I don't think they would do... but a Non-Toa Takua could be cool (as him + a Rahi?)...

But as long as it doesn't look like that.

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

EDIT: Huh, I've gone from a Protector to a lightning voyager? I was going to put a Protector in my signature of something but it's a bit late for that now. Maybe I'll put a Toa of Lightning? :P

Interesting MOC. I think that the color scheme and proportions could be improved. For a model that's just seven or eight pieces, it makes sense to have the legs mostly one color and the arms and body mostly another. For a 27-piece model, that's a little bit more questionable (and since you pretty much went wild with recolors, I'm not sure quite what your reasons were for sticking with silver hands).

Also, don't forget to rotate the lower legs 90 degrees when you build them this way! That's what the actual Protector sets do, because there's no reason the knees should need more side-to-side movement than forward-and-backward movement.

Anyway, I don't think there's any need for a Takua set or even a Takua character if the writers don't have a specific place for him in the storyline. I think it would be a bit silly for the BIONICLE theme to retrace the steps of the previous generation just for nostalgia's sake. As soon as a G2 Takua is introduced, there will no longer be any surprise whatsoever if he turns out to become a Toa of Light later on. Everybody will be expecting it, and whether the LEGO Group panders to or consciously defies those expectations, the character's story will end up having a lot less impact than the Generation 1 version's. If the new story does turn out to have a character like Takua (quirky and humble but destined for great things), I'd rather it be a brand-new character who can still surprise us than a character who old-school BIONICLE fans already know like the back of their hand.

• Upvote 2

Interesting MOC. I think that the color scheme and proportions could be improved. For a model that's just seven or eight pieces, it makes sense to have the legs mostly one color and the arms and body mostly another. For a 27-piece model, that's a little bit more questionable (and since you pretty much went wild with recolors, I'm not sure quite what your reasons were for sticking with silver hands).

Also, don't forget to rotate the lower legs 90 degrees when you build them this way! That's what the actual Protector sets do, because there's no reason the knees should need more side-to-side movement than forward-and-backward movement.

Anyway, I don't think there's any need for a Takua set or even a Takua character if the writers don't have a specific place for him in the storyline. I think it would be a bit silly for the BIONICLE theme to retrace the steps of the previous generation just for nostalgia's sake. As soon as a G2 Takua is introduced, there will no longer be any surprise whatsoever if he turns out to become a Toa of Light later on. Everybody will be expecting it, and whether the LEGO Group panders to or consciously defies those expectations, the character's story will end up having a lot less impact than the Generation 1 version's. If the new story does turn out to have a character like Takua (quirky and humble but destined for great things), I'd rather it be a brand-new character who can still surprise us than a character who old-school BIONICLE fans already know like the back of their hand.

I felt like the silver hands made it look better. It wasn't meant to be a serious MOC, just a quickly thrown-together concept. :P

• Upvote 1

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Takanuva could be worked in pretty nicely. He doesn't need to have been Takua though it would help him have more of an origin. He could just be a toa introduced.

I personally would love to see him in white/trans-white/silver. I think that would look real nice! If he doesn't show up, I won't cry (I never built up a super strong connection with him considering how horribly butchered his character was), but if he does, that would be really nice.

Introducing an extra character who ends up having a really important role/purpose seems to be a pattern I'm keeping my eyes open for. If there's a theme we should be watching to help predict the future of B15, it's probably Ninjago. They're not exact copies of each other (that would be awfully boring) but they still have a few important similarities that we can see.

• Upvote 1

Weeeellllll....

He is the Toa of Light, so we should just give him rainbow armor. 

They could do another valuable mask promotion, except this time the Avohkii is made out of a gemstone, refracting rainbow light all over the place :P

That's actually a really cool idea! I dunno if it's do-able to that extent/how it would be done but it would be real fun to see.

Edited by Banana Gunz

You know what I want to see the return of? Trans Glow in the dark armor pieces, like takadox had. Some CCBS shells in that style with trans white instead of blue would be really cool for takanuva.

Unfortunately, that color (294 Phosphorescent Green) doesn't exist anymore. Though then again, when Takadox used it, part of the reason it was so translucent was that it was blended with a transparent color, so maybe that kind of blended effect might still work with the new 329 White Glow.