BZP Mafia Discussion

Voltex

I should point out that people with quotation marks like this (") around their name "Like This" are impossible to add into a group PM unless they were the person initially PMed. This is a problem I ran into when I was hosting FFFO. Nevermore has them around his name and BZP's system wouldn't recognise it as a valid name. 

For the sake of Mafia, if you play I would kindly ask you to not have characters in your names that make you near impossible to add to a group PM. (Are "s even 'legal' characters going by the rules of BZP...?)

" isn't illegal as far as I know...that's odd that you can't add people with such characters to group PMs. For now, maybe open a Tracker ticket, and someone more well versed in the technical details of BZP than I will look into it.

I'll vote blade.

I should point out that people with quotation marks like this (") around their name "Like This" are impossible to add into a group PM unless they were the person initially PMed. This is a problem I ran into when I was hosting FFFO. Nevermore has them around his name and BZP's system wouldn't recognise it as a valid name. 

For the sake of Mafia, if you play I would kindly ask you to not have characters in your names that make you near impossible to add to a group PM. (Are "s even 'legal' characters going by the rules of BZP...?)

Next display name: "Luroka"

• Upvote 2

bBhcfWO.png

Just a little message I really should have posted when I initially encountered the problem, but I was more concerned with hosting the game at the time. 

Oh, and supporting Blade as host for the next main game.

I'm terribly sorry, I had no idea I was causing any trouble. I did check the Reference Desk before I changed my name to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules. In any case I do plan to change my name again pretty soon and I'll make sure not to include quotations.

Also add my vote for Blade.

Blog "A Cask of Amontillado": Breaking News

I'll vote Blade and Burn for the next games, but...um, I would like to point out that I have been waiting a while for my turn. I do understand that I had my chance (and blew it; it was exactly the wrong time for real life issues to come up), but, if possible, I'd like to have another chance to run my game.

2xu8Ptu.png

Yeah, I'm not good at puns. Imagine a sword that's on fire. And it's mad. Because that's a Burnmadblade.   B-)

Next display name: "Luroka"

Worse Better display name idea: """'""". No letter or numbers at all... just quotation marks.

• Upvote 5

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

• 2 weeks later...

A brief writeup for

BIONICLE MAFIA XXV: DESOLATION

Portal and I promised that we would reveal the exact nature of the secret roles at the end of the game, so I am here to do just that. If you have any other questions about the game and whatnot, feel free to ask them and I shall answer.

Let's go over the Medics first.

Medic x2 - These german doctors each select one player to protect from the Mafia each round. If they try to protect a member of the Mafia, the Medic will perish instead. However, burnt records recently found seem to hint that one of the Medics might not be what they seem…

That is the description you were all given. Our overall goal with Desolation was to keep everything as simplified as possible; we figured that the mashup of the day/night cycles would complicate things enough. We also wanted every role in the game to have a counter/mirror; the Matoran had the Mafia, the Detective had the Drifter, and the Medic had... the Plague Doctor. The actual Medic worked as we described above; to keep the Mafia from having too big of an advantage, however, we decided to make the Plague Doctor a secret role:

[sECRET: Medic x1 - This german doctor selects one player to protect from the Mafia each round. If they try to protect a member of the Mafia, the Medic will perish instead.]

[sECRET: Plague Doctor x1 - This insane doctor’s protection is only effective when protecting a member of the Mafia from the lynching. However, the Mafia’s identities are unknown to them, and they are likewise unknown to the Mafia.]

We made sure to stress to Blade that she was a neutral role; keeping the Mafia hidden from her (and her hidden from the Mafia) made things more even. I think this actually worked out very well, and would definitely recommend using this sort of Medic setup to others if it fits with your game.

Let's move onto the other two; the Desolated Pyro and the Desolated Siren. Portal and I each wanted to include a role that we felt exemplified our biggest "additions" to BZP Mafia and its lore; for me it was clearly the Pyro, while for Portal it was the Siren. However, working the two of them to be counters to each other like the other roles in the game would have involved making too many changes to the core of the roles. In addition, our merging of the day/night cycles was also going to complicate both of this roles so much that it hurt to think about. Our solution?

Desolated Siren x1 - FILES MISSING [sECRET: This player is an ordinary Matoran until they survive to the end of the game. If they manage to do so, then this player becomes the Siren, and is able to kill targets with a special phrase during each day.]

Desolated Pyro x1 - FILES MISSING [sECRET: This player is an ordinary Matoran until they reach the Voltex Constant. Upon reaching the Voltex Constant this player becomes the Pyro, and is able to kill one of two targets each night.]

I came up with the "Desolated" idea, and we decided to give it a go; the desolated variants would start out as ordinary, powerless Matoran. If certain circumstances were met, they would gain the typical powers of their roles... except that those circumstances were impossible to meet. For the Siren, surviving to the end of the game would mean, well, winning the game; and reaching the Voltex Constant was impossible as the concept was not in play this game.

They were both, essentially, troll roles. Just Portal and I having a bit of fun.

• Upvote 7

Well, i guess i can present that idea i had now.

---

You're in Mahri Nui too? Tough for you i guess. Well, you're stuck here with the rest of us. Sorry, the detective didn't make it, but we've filled in an extra role in his absence. Oh, except the Mafia want to kill everyone and escape before anyone else, have fun!

Bionicle Mafia: The Big Blue Wet Place

(name not official)

Roles + secret roles:

Mafia X5

Secret Roles X3

Matoran X12(two of these Matoran are different, however.)

Medic X2

I believe ToaK was referring to Voltex and Portal, his point being that they are experienced hosts and Ghidora is a rookie. My opinion is that at the very least Ghidora needs to run the full details of the game by an experienced player who can troubleshoot and find any problems or balance issues. 

Well, that's literally what i'm doing.

Not quite. The whole problem is that we don't know what the secret roles do and how they will effect gameplay. And since you are an inexperienced host we can't just trust you like we do Voltex or Portalfig when they submit a game with a lot of hidden elements. But since it might ruin the game a little for you to reveal the secret roles to everybody a better plan would be to have an experienced player take a look and offer any necessary suggestions. 

I'm not entirely certain why that's necessary, TBH. We've never forced anybody to show their whole game to someone before.

The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is ToaK, but that was for what turned into Murder Mansion because it looked too much like Unfinished Business.

Edited by Lucina

Ultimately, it's down to some semblance of democracy. There are no hard and fast requirements, but some of us would rather not approve a game whose sole distinctions are two secret roles. Some of us don't mind.

Ultimately, How much Ghidora reveals is down to how many votes he needs to cury.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I'm not entirely certain why that's necessary, TBH. We've never forced anybody to show their whole game to someone before.

I didn't know that.

Ultimately, it's down to some semblance of democracy. There are no hard and fast requirements, but some of us would rather not approve a game whose sole distinctions are two secret roles. Some of us don't mind.

Ultimately, How much Ghidora reveals is down to how many votes he needs to cury.

Playout/Layout will be taking place in Mahri Nui, so the mafia can keep that in mind when they attempt to murder someone.

Exactly. If only two people approve, i'll reveal a role or two.

Quisoves...

Unless someone else comes along, Ghidora has my vote. We really need to get out of this slump, so the sooner we get another game, the better.

I vote Ghidora. Let's get out of this slump, ya'll!

You must really want Ghidora to host a side game. Unless... there's two of you? The Quis and the Oves? 

• Upvote 2

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.