BZP Mafia Discussion

Voltex

Only one person can be lynched a day, and with the mafia either recruiting or killing, it's unlikely that what is at most a fifth of the population to begin with will be killed off before they can recruit more.

I'm thinking Recruiting takes two nights, whereas killing simply takes one.

That's pretty much what I thought, too. *nods*

But whether Recruiting should take two nights' time, I'm not so sure about that. It might tip the balance. (but what do I know about those things, I've never hosted a game before :>)

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

With both XXVI and Ghidora's game wrapped up: is there anyone who had their sights on either XXVII or the next side game?

Sigh...

As long as my game gets sent to the homeless in Ireland, I'm fine with it getting wrapped up.

I was under the impression that you had recently posted the final scene, so... it would thus be wrapped up? Done? Unless I was mistaken.

I was under the impression that you had recently posted the final scene, so... it would thus be wrapped up? Done? Unless I was mistaken.

I've spent so much time with you on BZPower, and you didn't see that terrible humour?

Either i'm much worse than i thought or you somehow took me serious. But yes, that is correct. Tell Ireland i said hi.

also there's more pressure to get it right

(if you get it wrong we feed you to the potoo)

--

E: k, gonna officially throw my hat into the ring to host next side game

if i host it, cross your fingers that another hack doesn't wipe it off the internet again

Edited by Lucina
  • Upvote 5

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring for XVII.

Here's the idea:

┴odsʎʇnɹʌǝʎpoɯ

Since time immemorial, the good villagers of the isle of Barataria Nui have held in the highest esteem a certain cabal. This group of righteous men, this band of brothers, this bastion of justice has been known, for history's length, as the Mafia. Now, however, one has arrived who would seek to turn the denizens of the island against their protectors...

Roles:

Voodoo Master: This perfidious individual seeks the destruction of the Mafia. To this end, he converts one Villager (no other roles, save the castaway) to his cult, each night. He also possesses two totems, which grant special powers. He can give each one to one of his followers (but not to himself.) If he likes, he can reassign the a token, each night. No cultist can hold both tokens at once. If the Voodoo Master dies, his role is passed on to the earliest surviving cultist to have been converted.

Cultists (x?): The goal of these corrupted villagers is to kill the Mafiosi.

Witch Doctor: The cultist currently gifted with the Blue Totem, he can choose to protect one player (including himself) each night. Every other night, he can instead chose to end a life.

Bonehead: The cultist currently gifted with the Green Token, he can learn the role of one player each night.

Villagers (x20): These beneficent islanders seek to rid themselves of the Cult, whilst keeping the Mafia alive.

Mafiosi (x6): Each night, they send one of their number to kill a player, in the hopes of ending the Cult.

The Potoo: This mysterious entity (older, they say, than the universe itself,) can mark one player with his birdsong, each night. During the night, he can also order (anonymously) any marked player to refrain from voting the following day. If a player disobeys him, he dies. He seeks the lynching of his age-old rival, Kartawny, the Frogmouthed-One, whose identity he knows. He is immune to the first attempt on his life by the Mafia, and cannot be killed by the Witch Doctor.

Kartawny: This eldritch being nurses a grudge against the Potoo, for deeds done at the dawn of the universe. He can mark one player with his birdsong, each night. During the night, he can also order (anonymously) any marked player to vote for a particular player the following day. If a player disobeys him, he dies. Kartawny seeks the lynching of the Potoo (whose identity he knows.)  He is immune to the first attempt on his life by the Mafia, and cannot be killed by the Witch Doctor.

Castaway: This unlucky interloper is about to be caught up in an insane imbroglio. Fortunately, he's had some rudimentary training in the martial art of Pakari Nui. He can paralyze two players each night. He can be assimilated into the Cult, retaining his powers. He wins by getting out alive.

Any comments, queries, suggestions?

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring for XVII.

Here's the idea:

┴odsʎʇnɹʌǝʎpoɯ

Since time immemorial, the good villagers of the isle of Barataria Nui have held in the highest esteem a certain cabal. This group of righteous men, this band of brothers, this bastion of justice has been known, for history's length, as the Mafia. Now, however, one has arrived who would seek to turn the denizens of the island against their protectors...

Roles:

Voodoo Master: This perfidious individual seeks the destruction of the Mafia. To this end, he converts one Villager (no other roles, save the castaway) to his cult, each night. He also possesses two totems, which grant special powers. He can give each one to one of his followers (but not to himself.) If he likes, he can reassign the a token, each night. No cultist can hold both tokens at once. If the Voodoo Master dies, his role is passed on to the earliest surviving cultist to have been converted.

Cultists (x?): The goal of these corrupted villagers is to kill the Mafiosi.

Witch Doctor: The cultist currently gifted with the Blue Totem, he can choose to protect one player (including himself) each night. Every other night, he can instead chose to end a life.

Bonehead: The cultist currently gifted with the Green Token, he can learn the role of one player each night.

Villagers (x20): These beneficent islanders seek to rid themselves of the Cult, whilst keeping the Mafia alive.

Mafiosi (x6): Each night, they send one of their number to kill a player, in the hopes of ending the Cult.

The Potoo: This mysterious entity (older, they say, than the universe itself,) can mark one player with his birdsong, each night. During the night, he can also order (anonymously) any marked player to refrain from voting the following day. If a player disobeys him, he dies. He seeks the lynching of his age-old rival, Kartawny, the Frogmouthed-One, whose identity he knows. He is immune to the first attempt on his life by the Mafia, and cannot be killed by the Witch Doctor.

Kartawny: This eldritch being nurses a grudge against the Potoo, for deeds done at the dawn of the universe. He can mark one player with his birdsong, each night. During the night, he can also order (anonymously) any marked player to vote for a particular player the following day. If a player disobeys him, he dies. Kartawny seeks the lynching of the Potoo (whose identity he knows.)  He is immune to the first attempt on his life by the Mafia, and cannot be killed by the Witch Doctor.

Castaway: This unlucky interloper is about to be caught up in an insane imbroglio. Fortunately, he's had some rudimentary training in the martial art of Pakari Nui. He can paralyze two players each night. He can be assimilated into the Cult, retaining his powers. He wins by getting out alive.

Any comments, queries, suggestions?

My game isn't really completely formulated yet, so I'll let you have it. 

Also, if the cult targets a player they can't convert, will the conversion simply fail?

I support Quisoves' idea and nominate him for XVII. I hope that health issues don't cut this one short, not that that's something that can be controlled. 

This is a good deal simpler than Damage Control (which had three layers of play, plus a weather system,) so at worst, I should be able to fudge a scene and post something like "X, role Y, killed by Mafia on Night W . 24 hours to vote."

• Upvote 1

gZsNWyr.png

Also, it occurs to me that, rather than merely give the Cult a fighting chance, as I had intended, the constant presence a Voodoo Master makes it nigh-unbeatable. So I suppose I should limit it to one successor. Does this seem reasonable?

This stuff about being markd with songs makes it sound like Destiny.

Destiny? What Destiny? Destiny of the Daleks? Destiny War? Unity, Duty, and Destiny? 

Goodness, I never realized how weird that word is. After seeing it five times, in quick succession, part of my mind wants to rearrange it to "density."

• Upvote 1

gZsNWyr.png

Also, it occurs to me that, rather than merely give the Cult a fighting chance, as I had intended, the constant presence a Voodoo Master makes it nigh-unbeatable. So I suppose I should limit it to one successor. Does this seem reasonable?

Destiny? What Destiny? Destiny of the Daleks? Destiny War? Unity, Duty, and Destiny? 

Goodness, I never realized how weird that word is. After seeing it five times, in quick succession, part of my mind wants to rearrange it to "density."

As somebody who hosted four different games with a cult (three can still be found: 1 2 3) I would recommend that you have only one successor, and only if the Cult Leader Voodoo Master dies during or before Round 3. By that time they will have recruited at least 3 players, and allowing a successor later than that could tip the game too far in the cult's favor.

---

On another note, Bionicle Mafia will be up shortly.

bioniclexninjago.jpg

It's live - click the banner or this link to sign up!

• Upvote 4

As somebody who hosted four different games with a cult (three can still be found: 1 2 3) I would recommend that you have only one successor, and only if the Cult Leader Voodoo Master dies during or before Round 3. By that time they will have recruited at least 3 players, and allowing a successor later than that could tip the game too far in the cult's favor.

Thanks!

So, in lieu of any objections, I'll try to get XXVII up tomorrow.

Those across the pond (for reference, I'm an 'Murican) or potentially otherwise occupied, feel free to reserve a spot!

gZsNWyr.png

Thanks!

So, in lieu of any objections, I'll try to get XXVII up tomorrow.

Those across the pond (for reference, I'm an 'Murican) or potentially otherwise occupied, feel free to reserve a spot!

I would kindly ask for a reserved spot, then. Just in case. :3 (considering a time difference of ~6 hours, if it's EST. Time zones are weird.)

• Upvote 1

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)