OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

The action gimmicks come more from changing toy standards than from constraction. These days, very few toys can go without some sort of playability aspect to them. Do you think Transformers would be anywhere near as popular if they only sold non-transforming toys? And even transforming toys can have an additional playability feature. Kids like having exciting features built into their toys these days.

I also wouldn't call modern designs simple by any means. I'd say we've been getting some of the smoothest, most polished, most interesting LEGO sets ever lately, and it's not from overspecialized pieces, but from actually using useful pieces in new ways.

Being an active user on TFW2005, I can tell you the majority of users hate the "features" other than the transformation itself. Plus all the kiddie TF's stacking up on the shelves, it looks like kid's aren't interested anymore either.

Okay but do the users of TFW2005 represent the majority of buyers of Transformers? I'd be willing to bet that, like LEGO, Hasbro is more concerned with the kids who make up a larger portion of their market than the adults who whine if a Transformer is a monkey instead of a truck.

Point is, kids like play features. They love little firing missiles and light-up lights and sound effects. It's the market that pushed those features, not constraction.

Hasbro is catering to the kids and it's failing big time because shelf-warmers (also, some Hasbro report from this summer). Their decision to market towards children and making a bunch of gimmick figures with no resell value killed the entire Age of Extinction toyline, with it ending in half a year, compared to the other movies' that lasted over a year. Most brick Lego sets don't have gimmicks either (besides those that are actually built by the buyer).

...are you sure it's not failing because the movie was garbage? OR because the movies are being marketed (poorly) towards adults, unlike the toys, which have ALWAYS been marketed towards children, because, you know, they're TOYS?

Brick LEGO sets have plenty of gimmicks, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just look at the Fairground Mixer, which spins when you turn a gear, has functioning Test Your Strength and Dunk Tank games, and is designed to pack up like a real carnival. the Prisoner Transporter and Police Station have walls that are designed to come loose when you yank on them. Chima sets are chock full of play features, from walking legs to launchers to special CHI Power modes. Yes, all of those are "built buy the buyer" because that's kind of the POINT of LEGO (though some like the new missile launchers aren't; they only have two pieces that function independently) but nonetheless System sets have play features because that's what kids like. Not all sets have them, mostly lacking in things like City sets where something like a missile launcher would be out of place, but there are definitely enough to show that there's some appeal for all of them, even the hopefully obsolescent flickfire missiles.

If you stopped judging children's toys from the perspective of someone outside of the target audience, maybe you could see that what you define as a good toy and what children define as a good toy don't always line up, and toy companies are definitely more worried about the latter than the former.

Well I know they're not gonna switch to China anytime soon, also I'm pretty sure that new factory is gonna benefit bootlegers(as now they will be able to obtain lego pieces easier).

I always assumed bootleggers did something really stupid like cast their own molds around parts they bought from a store because it seems ludicrous to me that they would be able to obtain a mold of just about every piece in production.

unless you mean actually obtaining LEGO bricks to put in sets, which is also ludicrous. For starters, if bootlegs actually used pieces stolen directly from LEGO, not only would they be much easier to shut down, nobody would complain about plastic quality in bootleg sets.

Except Age of Extinction is by no means garbage. You may not like it, and that's your opinion. Critics may have bombed it, bu they're paid to...plus critics narrow-mindedly think that these movies are about Shia and think AoE isn't good due to him not being involved. These same critics hate Michael Bay and are bashing his films just for the sake of bashing them. Most people I've talked to thought AoE was either the best or second best. Its toyline failed because the toyline did not live up to the standards that the Revenge of the Fallen and even Dark of the Moon toylines had set. RotF's toyline set the bar high, and Hasbro didn't care to repeat that sort of engineering, causing DotM's to be less successful, and AoE's to fail. The AoE toys are out of scale, inaccurate, poorly painted, and have amounts of kibble similar to the figures from the first movie's toyline. If AoE leader Optimus Prime was the same engineering marvel that RotF leader Prime was, it would've sold better than it did. The reason the AoE toys weren't engineered as well was the gimmicks Hasbro forced on us. It wasn't the gimmicks themselves, but the way they were integrated.

• Upvote 1

I'd say it was that the movie designs appear to have been made without actually taking into account how to make a car transform into them, thus leading to some shellformers the likes of which haven't been seen since Beast Wars, but that's neither here nor there. My point wasn't about Age of Extinction being garbage (though in my opinion it and the other three trainwrecks very much are). My point was about play features, and kids enjoying them, which they DO, or else we wouldn't see them so thoroughly distributed in sets. The people who complain about play features are adults who don't seem to understand that toys are made with children in mind, not whiny, unpleasable adults.

(Also I wouldn't say having play features is directly responsible for a Transformer toy being terrible, considering Springer's Generations toy featured a spring-loaded missile launcher and still managed to be one of the best Transformers I've ever seen. That was my point: that there are brilliant Transformers toys that still have play features. Know why? Because kids love play features.)

• Upvote 2

uuughh... so caught up with modelling MNOG3D that I missed out a lot here!

Well, to answer a few posts a page or two back...

I am really confused as to how people think the MNOG was inspired/similar to anime. Sure, the characters blushed and the backgrounds changed sometimes to represent quick movement but generally that is visible in almost all the cartoons I've seen. It has a fun aspect among its character while still retaining a serious plot, but again that's not what makes it similar to an anime.

I don't watch/read anime or manga usually but for me what tells them apart for me is Japanese influence and art style. The only one of these we have gotten is Japanese influence in the form of one word (Okotu), which isn't even really influenced by Japan but simply sounds somewhat Japanese.

And I don't see why Lego would specifically go out of their way to make a line they're bringing back manga/anime inspired for literally no reason. It won't be significantly more appealing and will just randomly change the theme to be something completely different (something people are already complaining about). The only line that got the "anime" treatment was Exo Force and that was because the whole idea of it was based around it being manga/anime inspired.

Wait, what? Besides a few borrowed expression thingies there isn't the slightest relation with MNOG, MNOGII and the webisodes to Anime or Manga.

I really don't see why people think its Anime o_o

and even the snot nose bubble to denote sleeping,

So THAT is what those things are.

I always wondered...

Now I'm wondering what the logic is behind growing a snot bubble when sleeping.

I'll throw it on the same pile where wondering about the logic of tap-bleeding noses when seeing something arousing is thrown on.

What if the Bionicle TV show was done entirely in the exact same style as MNOG? Would anybody be able to complain?

Heck yeah I certainly would!

All it needs is voice acting and smoother animation and waazah! Awesome!

would the voice actors from the mask of light come back for a T.V. show?

Oh gods please no!

Onua sounded stupid.

And the Matorans... particularly Jaller (I mean... he was a guy that saw three wars and is captain of the Ta Koro guard and can call up the entire island as an army under his command when needed... and he sounds like an 8 year old... )

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

The action gimmicks come more from changing toy standards than from constraction. These days, very few toys can go without some sort of playability aspect to them. Do you think Transformers would be anywhere near as popular if they only sold non-transforming toys? And even transforming toys can have an additional playability feature. Kids like having exciting features built into their toys these days.

I also wouldn't call modern designs simple by any means. I'd say we've been getting some of the smoothest, most polished, most interesting LEGO sets ever lately, and it's not from overspecialized pieces, but from actually using useful pieces in new ways.

Being an active user on TFW2005, I can tell you the majority of users hate the "features" other than the transformation itself. Plus all the kiddie TF's stacking up on the shelves, it looks like kid's aren't interested anymore either.

Okay but do the users of TFW2005 represent the majority of buyers of Transformers? I'd be willing to bet that, like LEGO, Hasbro is more concerned with the kids who make up a larger portion of their market than the adults who whine if a Transformer is a monkey instead of a truck.

Point is, kids like play features. They love little firing missiles and light-up lights and sound effects. It's the market that pushed those features, not constraction.

Hasbro is catering to the kids and it's failing big time because shelf-warmers (also, some Hasbro report from this summer). Their decision to market towards children and making a bunch of gimmick figures with no resell value killed the entire Age of Extinction toyline, with it ending in half a year, compared to the other movies' that lasted over a year. Most brick Lego sets don't have gimmicks either (besides those that are actually built by the buyer).

...are you sure it's not failing because the movie was garbage? OR because the movies are being marketed (poorly) towards adults, unlike the toys, which have ALWAYS been marketed towards children, because, you know, they're TOYS?

Brick LEGO sets have plenty of gimmicks, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just look at the Fairground Mixer, which spins when you turn a gear, has functioning Test Your Strength and Dunk Tank games, and is designed to pack up like a real carnival. the Prisoner Transporter and Police Station have walls that are designed to come loose when you yank on them. Chima sets are chock full of play features, from walking legs to launchers to special CHI Power modes. Yes, all of those are "built buy the buyer" because that's kind of the POINT of LEGO (though some like the new missile launchers aren't; they only have two pieces that function independently) but nonetheless System sets have play features because that's what kids like. Not all sets have them, mostly lacking in things like City sets where something like a missile launcher would be out of place, but there are definitely enough to show that there's some appeal for all of them, even the hopefully obsolescent flickfire missiles.

If you stopped judging children's toys from the perspective of someone outside of the target audience, maybe you could see that what you define as a good toy and what children define as a good toy don't always line up, and toy companies are definitely more worried about the latter than the former.

Well I know they're not gonna switch to China anytime soon, also I'm pretty sure that new factory is gonna benefit bootlegers(as now they will be able to obtain lego pieces easier).

I always assumed bootleggers did something really stupid like cast their own molds around parts they bought from a store because it seems ludicrous to me that they would be able to obtain a mold of just about every piece in production.

unless you mean actually obtaining LEGO bricks to put in sets, which is also ludicrous. For starters, if bootlegs actually used pieces stolen directly from LEGO, not only would they be much easier to shut down, nobody would complain about plastic quality in bootleg sets.

Well I always heard that bootlegers(such as decool)just repackaged already existing lego sets, and considering how closely they resemble said sets I found it very easy to believe, guess I was wrong.

It's time to move on.

Well I always heard that bootlegers(such as decool)just repackaged already existing lego sets, and considering how closely they resemble said sets I found it very easy to believe, guess I was wrong.

I always thought that they reverse-engineered the pieces and made molds of out them, then sold the sets.

• Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Guys... Guys. Please... Less quote boxes. My iPod hates them.

• Upvote 3

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

Bootleggers have poor plastic quality? impossible!

after all, their robots are INVINCIBLE. :U

but anyway, yeah. pretty sure they reverse-mold lego bits and, like, alter some slightly if they choose to. then they fill the molds with terrible terrible plastics of varying colors.

Expect that to get better once 3D printing becomes more affordable for mass production.

Guys... Guys. Please... Less quote boxes. My iPod hates them.

I was going to say something similar, but in place of "iPod" I would've placed "eyes". XD

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

Got half of my birthday present today:

Bionicle comic: Saga of Takanuva. Tomorrow -should- see me with a custom toa of his design weilding an arthron, as well as a Bionicle keychain, and an Akaku.

Tomorrow will be a good day.

Consider.

Me.

HYPED.

CHOO CHOO, NO BREAKS ON THIS TRAIN.

NEXT STOP NYCC NOW LET'S GO.

Edited by Makaru
swearing removed

Nope. The only way bootleggers like Decool can make profits is by selling their bootleg sets for cheaper than official Lego, so obviously having to buy the official sets would render that impossible.

Instead, they make casts of the official molds and produce their own copies while cutting whatever corners they can in order to be able to sell them for less than the cost of the official sets. Without costs like actual mold engineering and design, quality control, or overseas shipping, it's fairly easy for them to do so, especially in markets where Lego has less of a foothold in areas like southeast Asia.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Have you guys seen this already? This shouldn't come as much of a surprise, but somebody posted this in a topic on Eurobricks.

Hello.

You are receiving this email as you have received an invitation to

attend LEGO's Invite Only BIONICLE panel at New York Comic Con on

Thursday, October 9th 2014.

In addition to the BIONICLE Panel at New York Comic Con you have also

been selected to attend an invite only after-hours event at the new

LEGO Store Flatiron District from 7:00 - 8:30 pm. At the event you'll

have a chance to meet members of the BIONICLE team, build with the new

elements & see the models up close!

Those who do not RSVP will not be allowed into the event.

"Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow. You're always a day away..."

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

Brick LEGO sets have plenty of gimmicks, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just look at the Fairground Mixer, which spins when you turn a gear, has functioning Test Your Strength and Dunk Tank games, and is designed to pack up like a real carnival. the Prisoner Transporter and Police Station have walls that are designed to come loose when you yank on them. Chima sets are chock full of play features, from walking legs to launchers to special CHI Power modes. Yes, all of those are "built buy the buyer" because that's kind of the POINT of LEGO (though some like the new missile launchers aren't; they only have two pieces that function independently) but nonetheless System sets have play features because that's what kids like. Not all sets have them, mostly lacking in things like City sets where something like a missile launcher would be out of place, but there are definitely enough to show that there's some appeal for all of them, even the hopefully obsolescent flickfire missiles.

Nope. The only way bootleggers like Decool can make profits is by selling their bootleg sets for cheaper than official Lego, so obviously having to buy the official sets would render that impossible.

Instead, they make casts of the official molds and produce their own copies while cutting whatever corners they can in order to be able to sell them for less than the cost of the official sets. Without costs like actual mold engineering and design, quality control, or overseas shipping, it's fairly easy for them to do so, especially in markets where Lego has less of a foothold in areas like southeast Asia.

I've been buying a lot if Decool Bionicles lately and I'm actually quite please with the results.

I've been buying a lot if Decool Bionicles lately and I'm actually quite please with the results.

I'm not saying they're necessarily faulty. I'm just saying that Lego goes to great lengths to promote their products and ensure quality, and that bootleggers have it far easier. By copying an existing design instead of putting the work into original designs (which would have to be thoroughly tested for safety), that's cost-cutting. By producing the bootlegs locally in countries with lax labor standards, and ones that Lego has to pay extra to ship most of their stock to, that's cost-cutting. And of course Decool and other bootleggers don't need to spend nearly as much on advertising and promotion, because the low price makes it a cheaper option for people who intended to buy actual Lego products–products they want to buy due to Lego's brand appeal and promotion. So even if the end product is cheaper and of similar quality, it can only be that way because the bootleggers illegally copied Lego designs and that means that a lot of their work has been done for them.

Edit: Excessive quotes removed.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Have you guys seen this already? This shouldn't come as much of a surprise, but somebody posted this in a topic on Eurobricks.

Hello.

You are receiving this email as you have received an invitation to

attend LEGO's Invite Only BIONICLE panel at New York Comic Con on

Thursday, October 9th 2014.

In addition to the BIONICLE Panel at New York Comic Con you have also

been selected to attend an invite only after-hours event at the new

LEGO Store Flatiron District from 7:00 - 8:30 pm. At the event you'll

have a chance to meet members of the BIONICLE team, build with the new

elements & see the models up close!

Those who do not RSVP will not be allowed into the event.

"Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow. You're always a day away..."

I have several oil tankers full of jelly for anyone who is going to that after-hours event.

BargSmile.png.48fca408c6ae53ade365ec915a81fa1e.png

I'm not saying they're necessarily faulty. I'm just saying that Lego goes to great lengths to promote their products and ensure quality, and that bootleggers have it far easier. By copying an existing design instead of putting the work into original designs (which would have to be thoroughly tested for safety), that's cost-cutting. By producing the bootlegs locally in countries with lax labor standards, and ones that Lego has to pay extra to ship most of their stock to, that's cost-cutting. And of course Decool and other bootleggers don't need to spend nearly as much on advertising and promotion, because the low price makes it a cheaper option for people who intended to buy actual Lego products–products they want to buy due to Lego's brand appeal and promotion. So even if the end product is cheaper and of similar quality, it can only be that way because the bootleggers illegally copied Lego designs and that means that a lot of their work has been done for them.

I'm wondering if anyone really takes Decool products seriously. Like how many people can they actually fool? Lego is quite prominent in Asia, so people would be able to see that it's clearly not the same.

Edit: Excessive quotes removed.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

So they overhyped us...

Just a pedestal with a system MoC.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I know.. erm, hope, that will be the case.

I was just talking about us getting overhyped about that 17 second facebook video from yesterday.

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

So they overhyped us...

Just a pedestal with a system MoC.

What? There is clearly Lava in the background of that. Lava surfing confirmed oh yeah. 

(Not to mention awesome image of the lava. :P That looks like my new computer wallpaper.)

Plus also that video showed tan rock and light-up energy stuff...

Edited by fishers64

I hate lava.

BRING BACK MOLTEN PROTODERMIS!

• Upvote 1

Petition to bring back molten protodermis 2015 confirmed. In all seriousness, this is really cool, although I wish they'd used a more accurate color scheme for the system MoCr. Are there system bricks available in pearl gold?

A quick scouring of Brickset says no, and even if there were, I'd imagine the Master Builders have many more yellow bricks on hand than gold. It seems more practical to me to go with yellow, which, as a basic color, is already in large supply than to dig up a bunch of Warm Gold bricks to make it.

• Upvote 2

Petition to bring back molten protodermis 2015 confirmed. In all seriousness, this is really cool, although I wish they'd used a more accurate color scheme for the system MoCr. Are there system bricks available in pearl gold?

A quick scouring of Brickset says no, and even if there were, I'd imagine the Master Builders have many more yellow bricks on hand than gold. It seems more practical to me to go with yellow, which, as a basic color, is already in large supply than to dig up a bunch of Warm Gold bricks to make it.

True that.

The only ones I can think of are all plates or tiles, no bricks that I know of. There are the gold bricks from the 2008 Town Plan set, but those look closer to flat dark gold than pearl gold.
andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

Rapid-analysis by Willess:

There's some kind of flag, there's a stone bridge with a platform with two canisters reminiscient of the Manas canisters from... some game.  The stone is stacked, as if making a Po-Metru sculpture, there's a briefcase leaning against it, and storm clouds in the sky, with what looks like a cloudy Scarabax head behind the mask, dcould be clouds, or could be something we can't see cause the mask is in the way.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.