OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I was very annoyed at the ball joints being exposed on Tahu as they looked tacky and created a large gap between his chest plate and his arms, so I moved his shoulder pads and flipped them around so that they were attached to the open ball joints and covered up all that exposed space. I feel it makes him look much more complete, what do you guys think?

I kind of disagree. Exposed ball joints hardly ever bother me, but the way you have it his shoulder armor no longer fits snugly over his forearms the way it did originally, which is part of what defines his silhouette and makes him look distinct from the other Toa. If the exposed ball joints really bother you there's a far easier way to mask them on Tahu—just stick a pair of Y-joints on them, pointed up, and they should effectively mask the small gap between his torso armor and gearbox.

I don't know what Y joints are, but I used the old black pieces used as hands in the original bionicle run instead (Don't know what those are called either) and that covered up the exposed ball joints enough to satisfy me. Thanks for the tip! Thats really the only major gripe I have about the sets, it just makes them feel incomplete to me. Besides that, tahu looks fantastic! Like others have mentioned I'm really impressed with the CCBS system after getting these new sets and am kind of feeling guilty for bashing Hero Factory all of these years.

I believe Y-Joints are the classic standard hand pieces.

So we know that exposed ball joints are nothing new right, I mean

1455702115_small.jpg

Well, in that case it was used decoratively. If the ball joints are exposed when they're not supposed to be then they can look kinda off to many. In this case, that ball joint could be easily removed and was added as a design choice.

I just built Tahu today, and my conclusion is that the set has arthritis. For some reason it takes a large effort to pose his hips and ankles, which is rather annoying, especially when I was trying to pose him on his surfboard so he didn't crash and fall on his back. I also find that it can be hard to pose the shoulder joint without it disconnecting.

Interestingly, I can give him the exact pose that he has on the box, and if I stand him on the surfboard that way he's not so prone to falling over. That's a problem tall surfers struggle with IRL, and I almost wish that the set shirked that aspect of realism.

Other than that, he's quite likeable - the combination of colors and the height make him look cool, and did I mention the gear function is awesome? I might be tempted to take the friction joints out and maybe redesign his shoulders later, but still - good parts, nice look, and an overall good build.   

The only problem I have with Tahu is the amount of space he takes up (I'm sure Onua is gonna take up a lot more), on my shelf. I had to skoot the poor Protectors all the way to the edge just to make room for those blades of his. :P

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Does anyone know why Kopaka has that random light grey quarter-sized pin in his torso? It does literally nothing. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the Toa-Protector combiner needs it, or they included it to increase the piece count. Any theories?

IetTsFQ.png

I still need me one of those clear Haus...how much do they go for?

They tend to go for anywhere between $55 and $100 online. I expect the price shall only increase over time.

E: (Unless Lego starts releasing transparent masks in regular sets of course)

Edited by Strange Festive Voltex

They tend to go for anywhere between $55 and $100 online. I expect the price shall only increase over time.

That's kind of steep...I think you can get them for 30ish dollars if you're vigilant. Unless the price has gone up?

I'm hoping that some opened ones will appear on the market for cheaper, so far all the ones I've seen are sealed.

IetTsFQ.png

I got mine for 25$.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I just got Onua today as the hotel I'm staying in has a Toysrus right behind it and they had the full wave of Bionicle sets. I am very happy with the set. I do wish the upper arms were trans purple as well as the mask connection stronger and also his shoulders not be quite so wide but these are minor qualms. I could also be a bit biased though too considering Onua was always my favorite Toa, but dang he rocks! Oddly enough, Tahu appears to be the least popular in this area as Tahu was still fully stocked while all others had fewer sets left on the shelves, heck I took the second to last Onua on the shelf.

Edited by ToaDraco

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

So here are some more coherent thoughts after having the sets in-hand for the past day:

- I like Gali a lot more than I thought I would, and I thought I would like her pretty well in the first place.  She's sleek without being too thin, armored without being bulky, and overall just fun.  I think it's the shoulder armor that really makes it.  And she looks just as cool wearing her Skull Spider.  Also, I think her color scheme really works, with the combination of lighter blues and darker gunmetal making her feel like she's deep underwater.

- Pohatu is pretty okay.  More or less what I expected, though the fact that the axles on his boomerangs aren't aligned when they're folded bothers me quite a bit.  Also I wish both of his arms were geared, but that should be an easy enough fix for me to do on my own.  His mask seems like the loosest of the three, probably because it doesn't have the internal contours the others do to fit to the face.  Overall though he looks pretty solid and I like him.

- Tahu's neat.  I like the return of the connecting weapons, because the idea was used twice in 2004 and then sort of abandoned (oh also the fact that the swords allow the little flame/electricity piece to be included is really cool). His armor is good too, the shoulders, like Gali's, adding more to his figure.  His shin armor is very Nuva-like, and even though his ankles are extended they hide it pretty well.  I also really like the way his smaller swords are stored on his back.  And the blue eyes, those are a nice change.

- I like the Skull Spiders.  The scorpion-tail one isn't as exciting as I'd hoped, though, and I think I prefer the non-tail versions more.  Especially the green one, I think that's my favorite.  They all hold to the faces more solidly than the other masks.

- I like the gearboxes.  They add to the torsos in multiple ways, giving them gear functions but also filling them out.  On Pohatu it can look a little odd from the side, seeing his shoulders offset like that, but I think the shoulder armor on Tahu and Gali hide that for them.

My next purchase is probably going to be a few Protectors.  I know I'm at least going to get the Protector of Earth, but I'm also thinking of getting the Protector of Ice and the Protector of Jungle.  Yes, those are the ones that go with the Toa I don't have, but I think they're the stronger of the six sets.

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

I didn't think the PoW would appeal much to me either, but out of box her mask is my favourite blend of the six, and her build is undeniably feminine in person. It's my second favourite Protector, and I wasn't originally planning on purchasing her. My favourite though, is the PoStone. His overall look is just so satisfying. I love the asymmetric armour a ton, and for some reason, I can't unsee his feet as hooves.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Man, this year's sets really give some perspective to how bad the canister sets were getting in the later years of Bionicle. The 2008 sets were 13 bucks and the medium sets this year, for just two more, have more pieces, more accessories, actual gear functions, more complex builds, brighter colors, etc. 

I miss the canisters, but if ditching the extra plastic costs led to this increase in quality, it was worth it. 

• Upvote 2

Update on amazon UK, all of them are now in stock and the protectors I ordered are now due for arrival next Monday (or January 12th)! 

Glad you're finally got to buy them! I think you'll actually be getting them before me, and I'm in the US :P

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

Update on amazon UK, all of them are now in stock and the protectors I ordered are now due for arrival next Monday (or January 12th)! 

Glad you're finally got to buy them! I think you'll actually be getting them before me, and I'm in the US :P

Originally amazon were saying they would arrive on January 30th (I think because they didn't have any stocks yet), and I gotta say I'm pretty amazed there's a place in the states that doesn't have them yet, nearly all the Americans here seem to have one, keep on trying I'm sure you'll find them. 

It's time to move on.

Has the winner of the golden mask been announced yet? Or was I completely oblivious, and the winner has been announced days ago?

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Has the winner of the golden mask been announced yet? Or was I completely oblivious, and the winner has been announced days ago?

No not yet, probably in a week or less (as I recall they originally planned to reveal the winner on January 12th).

IetTsFQ.png

If I have any disappointment, it's the conflict in a box... And that's a huge personal one, since I totally understand the intent, applaud LEGO for it, and kids will probably love it. But the Skull Spider just became forgettable almost instantly. It's why I'll still be picking up the Lord of Skull Spiders and hoping that the summer sets include more bad guys. I want variety in my character alignment, but I also want there to be actual substantial sets for both. There's just not enough I could do with the spider.

Just going to point something out here. The Skull Spider may be a measly opponent for a Toa, but there's more to their inclusion than just that. The fact that Skull Spiders can mind control a character by attaching to the figure's face means that once you have TWO hero sets (two Toa, or two Protectors, or one of each), you can replace one of their masks with a Skull Spider to allow for a much more even confrontation. It's a nice way of compensating for the 13-set initial wave only having room for a single dedicated villain set, since ANY set can be made into a villain using only the set's default contents. I think that's mighty clever, myself.

So... you're saying... Get Lewa next? :D

(But that's a fair point. So for now the Spider is chilling on my spare new head wobbling around lamenting his lack of a body.)

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

(But that's a fair point. So for now the Spider is chilling on my spare new head wobbling around lamenting his lack of a body.)

~|ET|~

Lewa vs Onua pt 3 would be awesome, especially if we got a whole video in the new animation style dedicated to it!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I went to the local Lego store on the first, and it was pretty packed. All the shelves were in a semi-constant state of being kinda depleted and then eventually restocked. Interesting experience, I have to say. Anyway! Yeah the Bionicle sets were there. Well, most of them. The Toa, LoSS, and PoS and PoW were there, but I didn't see the other Protectors. Guess they'd sold out by that point or hadn't restocked. Anyway what I'm saying is it looked like this

438efabf16d9d3c23be7ba4781fbe702.png

So I mean, I guess they were selling just fine.

There was a very memorable moment when I was looking at some of the boxes. This little kid walked up to the Bionicle area and he just said, with the most amazed little voice: "Wooah, Bionicle..." It was really cool. Saw several kids just going around with Lewas and such. It was very nice. I think the reboot's gonna do pretty well.

Though well or not, it'll have to do it without me. :b Bought a lot of stuff that day, but sadly none of it was Bionicle. Maybe someday....Still, sets look really good.

LOL, that picture right there is proof that Lego made a good decision when they brought back Bionicle. :P

I noticed the new sets came in at work, I'll have to pick up -some- of them. Onua and Tahu look pretty boss.

I was wondering, is this a reboot of the series? Or does this somehow connect to the original timeline? The web series thing really seems like it could go either way.

It has been stated by Lego at NYCC that the new story is a reboot and is completely disconnected from the original timeline.

They never said "completely disconnected from the original timeline."

They said it was a reboot. And that there was a Mask of Time that covered the whole face. And that's all we know for sure.

The fact that time is so heavily involved in this story seems to mean they have no intentions of cutting the story 100% off from the old one. Star Trek 2009 was a reboot. (No, I don't expect Vezon or Takanuva to come jumping out of a trans-dimensional portal or anything, but I don't expect them to ever state this reboot is 100% detatched or not. I think they've left it open on purpose. For now, I'm going with the someone-broke-the-Vahi-and-the-Mataverse-ceased-to-exist-and-was-rewritten theory. But I really don't care that much either way.)

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Three things happened in the past 24 hours, I bought a Kualsi to replace the mask I lost for Iruni, I finally made the White Vahki with its original weapons (which I could never find) rather than it having random weapons, and now am currently obsessed with building the duplicate Avak I got to replace the one I had that disappeared (having used said parts for MOCs which I tore apart to get the pieces back).  I think it's safe to say I should go ahead and get the two 2015 sets I'm interested in, Tahu and Kopaka.

Edited by Dimension Lord

"She lost in me her credence..."
"But what's normal anyway?"
"Don't walk away... don't walk away..."

~|ET|~

Lewa vs Onua pt 3 would be awesome, especially if we got a whole video in the new animation style dedicated to it!

-NotS

YES. I'd love to see an episode with a Lewa VS. Onua fight. Or maybe, in a plot twist, ONUA is the one that gets Skull-Spidered!!! :o

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

So yeah... Im getting two of every set... wasnt really planned but... it happened. 

Wow, you people are getting second copies already and I haven't found a single set yet. xD 

I'm planning on getting Tahu, Gali, and Protector of Jungle first.

-NotS

Yeah well its not really what you would expect. Im getting one order off LEGO and one off Amazon UK. The LEGO one seems to be having problems though. Dont really rate the LEGO shop. Not the first time I have had this problem with them. 

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

So yeah... Im getting two of every set... wasnt really planned but... it happened. 

Wow, you people are getting second copies already and I haven't found a single set yet. xD 

-NotS

LOL I don't have any of the new sets, either. :P I plan on getting Tahu, Gali, & PoF first.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

YES. I'd love to see an episode with a Lewa VS. Onua fight. Or maybe, in a plot twist, ONUA is the one that gets Skull-Spidered!!! :o

That would actually be a really cool twist!

Yeah well its not really what you would expect. Im getting one order off LEGO and one off Amazon UK. The LEGO one seems to be having problems though. Dont really rate the LEGO shop. Not the first time I have had this problem with them. 

Oh... what's the problem?

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

-NotS

I was considering the online lego store since my usual site (Amazon) seems to be having stock issues atm.

"She lost in me her credence..."
"But what's normal anyway?"
"Don't walk away... don't walk away..."

That would actually be a really cool twist!

Oh... what's the problem?

-NotS

Its been in the warehouse for three days. No actually too bothered seeing as I get my first batch tomorrow, providing someone is in. Ill contact Lego Tomorrow, though

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

And that there was a Mask of Time that covered the whole face. And that's all we know for sure.

I don't remember this part.  Where was this said?

Interviews at NYCC. Never recorded, but the Three Virtues and DeeVee have confirmed that they did mention a new Mask of Time.

Its been in the warehouse for three days. No actually too bothered seeing as I get my first batch tomorrow, providing someone is in. Ill contact Lego Tomorrow, though

Oh... What shipping did you choose? 

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg