Character Genders

Since coming back on the forums recently, I noticed a lot of people saying that in their headcanon, Krika is female, and I also noticed the MoC of Tamaru on the news page, imagining the Le-Matoran as female.

So that got me thinking. We all disagree that the Matoran elements should not have had fixed genders. But are there any specific characters that you see/wish were a different gender in the story, and if so, who? Or do you think that the character genders were fine?

Edited by Gathered Friends
  • Upvote 2

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

Since coming back on the forums recently, I noticed a lot of people saying that in their headcanon, Krika is female, and I also noticed the MoC of Tamaru on the news page, imagining the Le-Matoran as female.

So that got me thinking. We all disagree that the Matoran elements should not have had fixed genders. But are there any specific characters that you see/wish were a different gender in the story, and if so, who? Or do you think that the character genders were find.

I've always believed that Ga and Ce Matoran were always female, but Vo could have males. I've also thought that Ta and Po Matoran were always male, but Onu, Ko and Le could be both. The other elements I just pick and choose genders as I please. (Unless they are canon and have a lot of masculinity or femininity. For instance, I can see Lewa or Onua being female, but not Tahu. Maaaybe Pohatu or Kopaka, and I can't see Gali as a male.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

if we're talking specific character gender headcanons then oh boy here we go: Tamaru is female. Orde is female because seriously, do we really need Greg's misogynistic error correction? Takua is agender [genderless]. no two Great Beings have the same gender or pronouns. Vakama is female. that's all i've got for now but give me time and i'll have more

• Upvote 3

I always saw key to nongu as asexual or female...

asexual means "doesn't experience sexual attraction". i believe you mean agender

..unless of course you mean "keetongu's species reproduces asexually" which is entirely different

Edited by Arc
  • Upvote 2

The only opinion I've got to this matter is that I think we could have taken the opportunity in 2009 to meet a female Glatorian from another color, like red or white. GregF says it was because children had really grown used to blue female characters in Bionicle, but I think they could ave tried to see how it went.

I always wondered if we'd have seen another female Glatorian set, had Bionicle not been prematurely cancelled. But I guess we would have seen Kiina in different armour...

Edited by Gathered Friends

index.jpg

The mono-gender tribes are ridiculous. They need to go. I'd also like to see a more balanced Toa team, something like 4 males to two females, or even better, 3 males to 3 females. I think that Tahu could totally pass as female, and that Kopaka could probably pass as well. Personally, I think that Lewa, Onua and Pohatu are better off staying as males, although, I'm biased seeing as Lewa is my favorite character. :P

-Rez

• Upvote 4

I don't know. I have a lot if characters I see as female just because I was confused as a kid. Takadox, Nidihki, Krika, Vamprah. Not saying I would like to see them as these genders in the reboot but still. I definatly want to see more female canister villains. Just one a year would do.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I dunno... as much as I'd love to see more balanced gender ratio's I don't think it feels right to just swap genders like that for characters that already exist (except Orde, we barely know him and just... gosh, Greg, I love you but you need to recognize a mistake and change it, not accept it and go off of that).

I'm sure a lot of lesser known matoran from the MNOG's can be changed and no one would ever know. Many are so unwell known that they can have their genders changed real easy.

• Upvote 3

Lesser known Matoran from the MNOG II? How could you say such a thing! All of those Matoran hold a special place in my heart. However, I am not sure about the other BZPers. How many of you remember Shasa, Ally, Kantai or the others without going to check BS01?

Oh, my bad! You're right, there are some that have stuck with me through all these years! Let just go dig up those Toa Tiribomba fan-fics...

While the element restrictions are silly, there's no particular character I would go out of my way to re-gender. Although I do have a headcanon that the Kestora are genderless.

Edited by Akavakaku
  • Upvote 1

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

As others have said here and before, I would like for the ability to have male and female Matoran of any element in the story. 

As for characters already shown in story, they should all keep the genders that they are. I really couldn't see any of them being switched around.

• Upvote 3

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Lesser known Matoran from the MNOG II? How could you say such a thing! All of those Matoran hold a special place in my heart. However, I am not sure about the other BZPers. How many of you remember Shasa, Ally, Kantai or the others without going to check BS01?

Oh, my bad! You're right, there are some that have stuck with me through all these years! Let just go dig up those Toa Tiribomba fan-fics...

I remember them!  :D I seem to recall an old fanfic or two I never published where I managed to find at least a minor role for 90% or more of those rarely-mentioned-but-still-awesome Matoran.

Of course, the sheer number of viewpoint characters may have been part of why they remain unpublished.... *cough*  ^_^ Could always dig them out and rewrite them in honor of the official return of Bionicle.

As others have said here and before, I would like for the ability to have male and female Matoran of any element in the story. 

As for characters already shown in story, they should all keep the genders that they are. I really couldn't see any of them being switched around.

I agree. For a while - until whenever it was confirmed that the tribes were each a single gender, at least - I simply assumed that the tribes were at least somewhat evenly split, with each tribe only being unbalanced in favor of one gender, rather than being entirely one or the other. (I believe I came up with at least one semi-plausible reason, too: a thousand years of war against the Makuta could have by chance created those ratios by reducing the population unevenly.)

Even if the return of Bionicle is continuation rather than a reboot, I don't think it would be overly difficult to find a justification for making the tribes more even gender-wise. Either new Matoran production starting up, or lost groups of Matoran being found, or a million other reasons.

Beginning to dive into BZP again.

This time as more of a contributor than a lurker.

asexual means "doesn't experience sexual attraction". i believe you mean agender

..unless of course you mean "keetongu's species reproduces asexually" which is entirely different

Since I understood that gender and sex mean the same thing, I assumed agender and asexual mean the same thing as well. I'm not a native to English, so please apologise my awful political correctness.....
  • Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

asexual means "doesn't experience sexual attraction". i believe you mean agender

Since I understood that gender and sex mean the same thing, I assumed agender and asexual mean the same thing as well. I'm not a native to English, so please apologise my awful political correctness.....

well uh. no, actually, gender and sex aren't the same thing. but this isn't really the appropriate place for me to be explaining all that; it would be a huge digression. PM me if you're interested i guess

I've recently head canoned Nuhrii into being female. So, the rivalry with Vakama now has UST that the amnesia from the Matoran spheres destroyed.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I've recently head canoned Nuhrii into being female. So, the rivalry with Vakama now has UST that the amnesia from the Matoran spheres destroyed.

How funny, I was thinking Nuhrii could be a female, too. Have you posted this somewhere else that I might have seen and adopted the idea from, or is this purely coincidental?

index.jpg

I'm not in favor of changing the genders of pre-existing characters. I've already gotten to know them as either male or female, so it feels really weird whenever I hear someone say that Tamaru or Krika are female, or that Gorast is male.

However I also believe that monogendered tribes are unnecessary. The only reason why I don't imagine Onua as a female (seriously, guys? SERIOUSLY? Onua is the manliest one on the team!) is because he's already been established in my mind as masculine.  

Adding new characters that break the gender barrier is fine, and even supported by me. Changing the genders of characters that I already know, that's just weird. 

• Upvote 5

bZpOwEr

Takadox, Nidihki, Krika, Vamprah.

I thought for the longest time that Nidhiki was female too. Then I saw Legends of Metru Nui, and I was thoroughly confused.

I can't say there are any characters who I can imagine swapping genders - mostly because I can't think of a good reason why a change like that would matter, considering gender means almost nothing in the MU.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

or that Gorast is male

honestly I find it perplexing that someone would take the only named female Makuta in the story and make her male.

I find it perplexing that one should feel the need to change the characteristics and gender of an established character at all.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 6

or that Gorast is male

honestly I find it perplexing that someone would take the only named female Makuta in the story and make her male.

I find it perplexing that one should feel the need to change the characteristics and gender of an established character at all.

not everyone likes a sausage fest, especially when it's a whole universe

• Upvote 4

I always liked the idea of a genderfluid Vakama, though I identified a lot with the character in 2004 due to their anxiety and self-confidence problems and it was another way to feel connected to the character in hindsight... despite how Vakama's personality completely flipped the next year. Otherwise, I really do like the trans-Tamaru headcanon (and I did like how Makaru utilized it in the flavor text for his MOC). Additionally, I've heard a female Lewa headcanon somewhere (I can't remember where :c ) but I thought that sounded pretty cool and interesting, and headcanoning some more of the Mata as female helps their whole 1/6 thing (and I just like Lewa being a lighthearted, sort of careless bit of comedic relief... who also got some decent characterization early on). But aside from them, I haven't come across many other headcanons, and it's been a while since I've really tried to put my own ideas and thoughts creatively into Bionicle.

Personally, I also like to think Nixie is genderfluid... but that's again since, when I was little, I loved who she was in the MNOLG games since I was heavily interested in astronomy and she was an astronomer. Though, I feel a little selfish with that one since there's very little female representation in the line to begin with and changing a female scientist in the story to something else feels a little bit... well, er... selfish, of me.

Edited by Kitania
  • Upvote 2

or that Gorast is male

not everyone likes a sausage fest, especially when it's a whole universe

I do.... ;)

Anyway, just came to mind that I always saw Vamprah as a female.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Although it would've been amazing if the genders were more balanced during Bionicle's run, they weren't, and every character's gender in the story is what I was and am used to. I never really had any headcanons or anything with different genders. I'm on board with Tamaru for sure, but other than that I never really thought 'bout it. I think the Air and Stone matoran tribes would be lovely as mixed gender tribes, if the choice was limited.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

How funny, I was thinking Nuhrii could be a female, too. Have you posted this somewhere else that I might have seen and adopted the idea from, or is this purely coincidental?

Very likely coincidence. I only really thought about it after this topic popped up.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...