Most Inelegant Part Of The Story?

Definitely wasn't a fan of the overuse of alternate dimensions. Heck, I was beginning to get bored with it by The Kingdom, Dark Mirror was really the only time I thoroughly enjoyed it. I get what you guys mean by Hahli's mask as an Inika, but I can forgive that on account of the fact that she never really used it to find the Mask of Life, and it was put to much better use communicating with Matoro in spirit form. However, the one thing that drove me nuts was the hand wave that the human-level intelligence and culture of the characters from the first eight years was a completely random glitch. I have a hard time believing they developed themselves to that level by complete accidental happenstance. Especially since there was that really great quote from Antroz in Shadows in the Sky about how the Great Beings blessed the Matoran with passion, even if misguided (in his opinion). I felt like that really spoke to the character of the Matoran as a whole. My frustration was equally doubled when it was revealed that Vakama's visions were another completely random glitch, after they spent a whole movie playing up his confidence on NOT being cross-wired (which turned out to be exactly his problem).

rahkshi_symbol.png

Definitely wasn't a fan of the overuse of alternate dimensions. Heck, I was beginning to get bored with it by The Kingdom, Dark Mirror was really the only time I thoroughly enjoyed it. I get what you guys mean by Hahli's mask as an Inika, but I can forgive that on account of the fact that she never really used it to find the Mask of Life, and it was put to much better use communicating with Matoro in spirit form. However, the one thing that drove me nuts was the hand wave that the human-level intelligence and culture of the characters from the first eight years was a completely random glitch. I have a hard time believing they developed themselves to that level by complete accidental happenstance. Especially since there was that really great quote from Antroz in Shadows in the Sky about how the Great Beings blessed the Matoran with passion, even if misguided (in his opinion). I felt like that really spoke to the character of the Matoran as a whole. My frustration was equally doubled when it was revealed that Vakama's visions were another completely random glitch, after they spent a whole movie playing up his confidence on NOT being cross-wired (which turned out to be exactly his problem).

Well 100,000 years passed from Mata-Nui's creation to 2001, that is plenty of time for corruption of data to spread and develop. It didn't have to happen all at once. But yeah, if the Matoran learn of this I think their egos will take a major dive.On the matter of Vakama, it may seem cheating him of development but it makes more sense than just random destiny. I see his glitch, and others like Kapura's, as "genetic mutations."

"Danger is the anvil on which trust is forged"-Jaller(Jala) :smilejala: 
"We're on our own here-like we've always been-and we'll stand or fall on our own"-Tanma
"He may seem slow and strange to you, but his simple words often carry a hidden wisdom"-Turaga Vakama on Kapura

9B586E38-224D-4703-8EE3-5A0AC1CB8344.png.4f8ec6246a5ad7273e1c0d55cb15537e.png
Kanohi: Stories of a Matoran Vigilante The Impact of a Rebirth: a Kanohi Fanfic The Willing Exiles: a Kanohi Fanfic SKA PC Profiles: Kanohi, Collector, Mahrika Kardaka BZPRPG Profiles Avatar by @Harvali 

Is there a problem? An alternate universe will fix it.Is there a character you want brought back from the dead? An alternate universe will fix it?Run out of places the story can take you? An alternate universe will fix it. Seriously, the first couple of times was a nice idea, but now EVERYTHING is an alternate universe, which then raises the question, how are we entirely sure the main universe IS the main universe, and not just an alternate universe that thinks it's the main universe.

Good point. And I use that a lot in the epic I'm writing. Every non-canon character I use minus my self MOC is from an alternate universe.

LlqByyh.png

I didn't like the 2010 sets too much, but the story was alright... Personally, I enjoy the alternate universes, and I always enjoy those moments when something you thought was set in stone gets turned on its head and you find out that Mavrah is still alive or whatever: it's what makes Bionicle so amazing, honestly. One thing I didn't like were all the silly promotions, especially Free the Band, which was incredibly lame. Every segment of Bionicle has their own pros and cons, but I like them all: I particularly enjoyed the Voya and Mahri Nui parts, which had a totally different feel that I've always enjoyed (although the Hordika part wasn't all that strong.)

The fact that they happen to have a bunch of masks that are exactly what the need convienently stored around the island for them.

The Order of Mata Nui was ordered to put the kanohi on the island of mata nui shortly after the toa mata canisters were lanched. Like a part of a Contigency plan.
Well gee, the Order doing that was sure convenient for our heroes wasn't it?

Well 100,000 years passed from Mata-Nui's creation to 2001, that is plenty of time for corruption of data to spread and develop. It didn't have to happen all at once. But yeah, if the Matoran learn of this I think their egos will take a major dive. On the matter of Vakama, it may seem cheating him of development but it makes more sense than just random destiny. I see his glitch, and others like Kapura's, as "genetic mutations."
I'll give you Kapura, but I Vakama still doesn't sit well with me, if only because it seems he didn't start getting visions until around when Lhikan gave him a Toa stone, rather than his whole life. Plus, it's known Mata Nui was directly responsible for their creation by planting their names in Makuta's mind, who in turn planted them in Lhikan's, so I couldn't help but think that direct action from Mata Nui was connected with sending Vakama visions himself, as was implied in 2004. I guess what really bothered me about the other thing was that, from the start, Lego seemed to go out of their way to specify that these characters were NOT robots, they were living, biomechanical people with spirits and personalities and feelings and pretty much human in every way except appearance and anatomy, and then toward the very end it's, "Nope, they were never meant to be that, and what they are is just a result of a random, cosmic glitch." Just seems to go back a little on what they said in the first place, I suppose. EDIT: To the above post, I thought the Toa Metru brought the masks the Mata searched for from Metru Nui and hid them before becoming Turaga? Edited by Takatu
rahkshi_symbol.png

Well 100,000 years passed from Mata-Nui's creation to 2001, that is plenty of time for corruption of data to spread and develop. It didn't have to happen all at once. But yeah, if the Matoran learn of this I think their egos will take a major dive. On the matter of Vakama, it may seem cheating him of development but it makes more sense than just random destiny. I see his glitch, and others like Kapura's, as "genetic mutations."
I'll give you Kapura, but I Vakama still doesn't sit well with me, if only because it seems he didn't start getting visions until around when Lhikan gave him a Toa stone, rather than his whole life. Plus, it's known Mata Nui was directly responsible for their creation by planting their names in Makuta's mind, who in turn planted them in Lhikan's, so I couldn't help but think that direct action from Mata Nui was connected with sending Vakama visions himself, as was implied in 2004. I guess what really bothered me about the other thing was that, from the start, Lego seemed to go out of their way to specify that these characters were NOT robots, they were living, biomechanical people with spirits and personalities and feelings and pretty much human in every way except appearance and anatomy, and then toward the very end it's, "Nope, they were never meant to be that, and what they are is just a result of a random, cosmic glitch." Just seems to go back a little on what they said in the first place, I suppose. EDIT: To the above post, I thought the Toa Metru brought the masks the Mata searched for from Metru Nui and hid them before becoming Turaga?
The more I think about it the more you have a point about the nature of Matoran intelligence. For instance, our own Takua is the first Matoran ever created, yet he clearly has a distinct personality. Not to mention that as seen in Takuanuva's vision, the Toa Mata had vivid personalities even 100,000 years ago. Maybe the glitch gave them the ability to adapt and change their programing. In short, maybe they were already intelligent, the glitch only gave them free will? There is a difference, as seen in the IRobot/Foundation universe.

"Danger is the anvil on which trust is forged"-Jaller(Jala) :smilejala: 
"We're on our own here-like we've always been-and we'll stand or fall on our own"-Tanma
"He may seem slow and strange to you, but his simple words often carry a hidden wisdom"-Turaga Vakama on Kapura

9B586E38-224D-4703-8EE3-5A0AC1CB8344.png.4f8ec6246a5ad7273e1c0d55cb15537e.png
Kanohi: Stories of a Matoran Vigilante The Impact of a Rebirth: a Kanohi Fanfic The Willing Exiles: a Kanohi Fanfic SKA PC Profiles: Kanohi, Collector, Mahrika Kardaka BZPRPG Profiles Avatar by @Harvali 

I would say Teridax getting hit in the head by a moon. I mean yeah it's was a big thing to get hit by, I just wish that Mata Nui had somehow been able to take him down through a feat of strength and not pure luck. -:t::l::h:

If he had done that, it would violate the Toa Code. I actually liked how Makuta died. It was out of his own abuse of his tremendous power that killed him. All Mata Nui did was make sure he received his natural consequences.

Probably when the Toa Nuva found the "special vehicles" in the cortex and the automatically knew how to fly them. Even though 2007 is my LEAST favorite year because it felt dragged , 2008 I didn't like that the come Toa Nuva's new form (don't get me wrong, i love the sets, they just don't look like the Toa Nuva as much as i would have liked).

naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gifNacuu's Slow Dance!!naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gif

I would say Teridax getting hit in the head by a moon. I mean yeah it's was a big thing to get hit by, I just wish that Mata Nui had somehow been able to take him down through a feat of strength and not pure luck. - :t: :l: :h:

If he had done that, it would violate the Toa Code. I actually liked how Makuta died. It was out of his own abuse of his tremendous power that killed him. All Mata Nui did was make sure he received his natural consequences.
Greg said it himself. Mata Nui's not actually a Toa, so doesn't follow the Toa Code. Probably because he's not aware of it, rather than because he's morally incorrect. As for Teridax's defeat, my personal opinion is that it would have been more bearable if every (Well, most) inhabitants of the MU stood up and started attacking Metru Nui. That would have given Teridax a bigger distraction, would have made him weaker and would have been a fine representation of Unity in the final battle.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

To me it was Vezon. At first he was just guarding the mask of Life (yes by wearing it) but afterward he became Greg's favorite character showing up in nearly every serial until recently (The Powers that be, Sahmad's tale, Yesterday quest). There was one when Vezon came out nowhere with his mask of dimensions and saved everyone in space.The Alternate universes thing is also annoying. It's becoming as annoying a plot device as Time Travel (thankfully Greg hasn't gone there... yet).Finally, the Makuta had so much potential and was wasted. I mean we discover Teridax was part of species new stories and we discover they all got killed somehow. Although to be fair, we did get a nice insight into there species with Mutran's Blog.

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

The return of dead characters is getting old, I don't see the point to Tuyet. But for me, the worst part of the Syory was Vakame's dance with darkness in 2005. It just seemed really out of character to me. A few months prior he keeps blaming himself for everything, and then suddenly his ego is the size of a planet? It doesn't add up to me.

Greg himself has complained about this. He said he argued that it should of been Matau, but alas, it was not his choice, apparently.

imo11b1ulynbq2ju7il.png

If you like this banner, please feel free to add it to your signature.

QUOTE(GregF @ Oct 13 2010, 03:21 AM)

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

Do you think you have what it take to climb... Up the Carrion Stair!

Credit to Toa Zehvor MT for the banner!

Vezon.He was fun when first introduced, I admit that even his stuff in Federation of Fear was funny. But everything after that was baisicly "HEY LOOK AT ME I'M ZANY AND WACKY!"

I really agree with this. I enjoyed Vezon in the 06 storyline and in FoF. But afterwards, he just became annoying to me. The OoMN should've sent him to the Pit with Roodaka, but that is just my opinion.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Energized Protodermis; the spackle that holds the Mata Nui universe together.

Or as I like to call it: magical fairy dust. -don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

Everything and anything to do with Bara Magna. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Bara Magna and spring '09 was one of my favorite parts of the story, but it felt way too tacked-on at the end. Bara Magna had so much potential, especially the way it was originally planned to have a 3-year story arc, and what do we get? A year and barely another half-year, and that's it. Heck, the 2010 stuff only featured one new character (Nektann), and he was from the MU! Also, on a similar note, Mahri/Voya Nui. Each of those story arcs could have been more than a year.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

Edited by Lewa0111 Nuva

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

That moment in The Legend Reborn with Berix on the Rock Steed. Oh, I cringed. I really did. And then I watched Hero Factory, and learned the true meaning of cringing.

True cringing comes from Web of Shadows."Cause dat's what friends do."
I wouldn't say that was anywhere near as bad as certain points in TLR. For example, when the rocks fall on the Bone Hunters. The generic screaming sound...ugh. And don't get me started on Savage Planet. The whole thing was one big cliché.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

That moment in The Legend Reborn with Berix on the Rock Steed. Oh, I cringed. I really did. And then I watched Hero Factory, and learned the true meaning of cringing.

I wouldn't say that was anywhere near as bad as certain points in TLR. For example, when the rocks fall on the Bone Hunters. The generic screaming sound...ugh. And don't get me started on Savage Planet. The whole thing was one big cliché.
Admittedly, I don't remember the TLR cliche's because I spent hours of rigorous mental training to black the movie from my memory.

Admittedly, I don't remember the TLR cliche's because I spent hours of rigorous mental training to black the movie from my memory.
Haha, can't blame you. I think, yes, you could say that line in WoS was a bit cliché, but only because of the way he said it. If he'd sounded a bit more earnest, it would have worked fine; it was the inflection, not the words, that were the problem.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

What do you feel was the most inelegant part of the Bionicle Storyline? A particualr moment or plot device you feel was there just for show, or could have been done better, or was obviously just there to move the plot along. For me, I think that Hahli's mask in the Inika saga was a bit too convenient. Out of the hundreds of masks, Hahli gets the one that would help her and her team do exactly what they needed to do? What do you think? Rivin

What's even worse is that she hardly used it.

I'll give you Kapura, but I Vakama still doesn't sit well with me, if only because it seems he didn't start getting visions until around when Lhikan gave him a Toa stone, rather than his whole life. Plus, it's known Mata Nui was directly responsible for their creation by planting their names in Makuta's mind, who in turn planted them in Lhikan's, so I couldn't help but think that direct action from Mata Nui was connected with sending Vakama visions himself, as was implied in 2004. I guess what really bothered me about the other thing was that, from the start, Lego seemed to go out of their way to specify that these characters were NOT robots, they were living, biomechanical people with spirits and personalities and feelings and pretty much human in every way except appearance and anatomy, and then toward the very end it's, "Nope, they were never meant to be that, and what they are is just a result of a random, cosmic glitch." Just seems to go back a little on what they said in the first place, I suppose. EDIT: To the above post, I thought the Toa Metru brought the masks the Mata searched for from Metru Nui and hid them before becoming Turaga?
The more I think about it the more you have a point about the nature of Matoran intelligence. For instance, our own Takua is the first Matoran ever created, yet he clearly has a distinct personality. Not to mention that as seen in Takuanuva's vision, the Toa Mata had vivid personalities even 100,000 years ago. Maybe the glitch gave them the ability to adapt and change their programing. In short, maybe they were already intelligent, the glitch only gave them free will? There is a difference, as seen in the IRobot/Foundation universe.
Wow, I had never even heard of this until now. And at what point did the story team decide that the characters we've come to know and love for the past 10 years are just the result of robots with corrupted operating systems (so to speak)? This bugs me. When I look back to the 2001-2004ish era, I see a world full of mystery, spirituality, adventure, and rich storytelling, all revolving around a group of biomechanical beings with souls. Identities. Personalities. Now, it's just organizations of glitchy robots fighting other organizations of robots, all inside of one giant robot. It's like a carbon copy of Transformers (Only they typically weren't inside Primus).

'09 disappointed me quite a bit. The whole concept was a good idea, just the details could've been improved. A lot of things were vague, like the Glatorian system. And the Glatorian themselves were a bit vague in my opinion.

It was all a lie. There's nothing wrong with you.

Nice of you to say. But you of all people should know:

there's plenty wrong with me.

This bugs me. When I look back to the 2001-2004ish era, I see a world full of mystery, spirituality, adventure, and rich storytelling, all revolving around a group of biomechanical beings with souls. Identities. Personalities. Now, it's just organizations of glitchy robots fighting other organizations of robots, all inside of one giant robot. It's like a carbon copy of Transformers (Only they typically weren't inside Primus).

My sentiments exactly. As bad as all the paradoxes of Takanuva "traveling the multiverse" (sounds like a line from Sliders, lol... And if you don't get that, you just must not be old enough to have watched TV in the 90s - your gain) are, I have to say the worst plot descision in my opinion was making everything and everyone we loved as characters into the little cogs and gears of a... (shudders) giant robot. I loved the mystery and nuances of the island Mata-Nui, and the action and exploration of the Toa Metru/Hordika, but turning it all into a "Clash of the Titans" was simply a betrayal of the characters. Edited by Hahli Historian

Current Epic: Life is a Blank - last post Jan. 22

My Library: The Esoteric Athenaeum

Member of the Epic Critics' Club

aa0ef09c4ad9bf8017ddec306412e550_zpscff1

I stopped following Bionicle after they went down into the ocean. I loved the Baraki, but didn't like the Mahri designs at all. I don't think my lack of interest was at all on the story's behalf, but when the sets started looking not nearly as cool, I hit the eject button. After that, my brother pretty much filled me in on the rest of the story when Bionicle ended. I wish they hadn't really explained where the Toa Mata had come from. Though for the years I loyally followed Bionicle, I did love it. The idea of an advanced civilization collapsing and becoming much more spiritual-based than technology based- and then kind of going back to technology was really cool.

6244916474_c93fd6d552.jpg

6251674125_b0dbed809a.jpg

6252203236_c35c6ab8f3.jpg

I try not to think about all the times BIONICLE let me down. I just remember the moments I loved, the best parts. I don't sweat it about 08 or 09's bad & incomplete plots. I don't worry about the giant robot VR weirdness. I just remember the parts that made me smile, the parts that my kid self loved.

Nuparu's BoomBoxor is temporarily out of commission (been infected by some malware & whatnot, curse those anonymous russian bots). I guess I'll get around to putting it back up eventually. Maybe when Templar finally get around to re-doing the soundtrack to MNOG.

Most everything after 2004 I've only seen summaries of, but I have to say "everyone's personality and free will is a glitch" is a little iffy. On the one hand, it raises interesting philosophical and practical questions about the relationship between the inhabitants of the MU and the Great Beings, but on the other hand, seriously?

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Tren Krom's death. While it could be argued that his death was heralded in Federation of Fear, it felt so sloppy just to see a being of such great power who walked long before Mata Nui was ever created and was said to be eternal killed off in one of the shortest, lamest deaths in Bionicle history. I know Greg probably just did that to show just how powerful this new being really was, but it felt so tacked-on. It was lame.

overlordsukapon.png

Turning Metus back into an Agori. There was no reason for it(except for wierd fans) he deserved what he got and should have stayed that way, and it didn't help the plot at all.

I actually think that plot twist a bit childish; I'm really not into the thing that he "got what deserved by being turned into a snake" thing.

The Golden Armour. It's nice of LEGO to give us an attempt at wrapping up the story, but the Armour felt less like a plot device and more like a particularly cheesy brand of Deux ex machina meets annoying marketing gimmick.

The Golden Armor should not have been in the story; I too do understand that sometimes there's just no time to wrap up a story, but at least Bionicle could have gone away with a bigger "bang" than it did. It felt like Bionicle was slowly dying over time. I was hoping it would be completed, with possible stories to come. Except it wasn't. The sets become a shadow of Bionicle's lore, and a preview of the new Hero Factory sets to come.

robotdoor.png (aka Foot Door) -SK

HOW DOES HE EVEN WALK IN WITHOUT TERIDAX SLIGHTLY MOVING HIS FEET? Edited by Riglax