• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Photo

Naming

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Taipu1

Taipu1
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Stone Champion Defeated

• 2,784 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Mar 08 2012 - 04:32 PM

Something I was wondering, in epics, short stories, comedies, or just MOCs, how do people name characters? Do you take them from words from other languages, make up gibberish, or base it on official names, or some other way?I usually name characters in my epics/short stories by taking a syllable or two from an official name, and adding on to it. And usually the results aren't particularly inspiring. All the good names are always taken :(

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

#2 Offline BULiK

BULiK
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 08 2012 - 04:45 PM

I just think of a name, sometimes letter by letter, other times trying to use a certain letter in it that I want to be in the name

imx_327053664.png

76561198040925391.png

Exo-Force RPG Profiles- Max Layer

#3 Offline Dralcax

Dralcax
  • Members
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 2,210 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 08 2012 - 04:46 PM

Read the manga Bakegyamon. Read what the different monster's names mean. Mix and match.EnjinUmiohGekirinYuki KitsuneTsubute Onietc...

eW9kyVR.png

#4 Offline Toa Smoke Monster

Toa Smoke Monster
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 5,254 posts

Posted Mar 08 2012 - 04:50 PM

I just put a bunch of letters together into words and see if any cool names come out of it.

Everyone is one choice away from being a bad guy in someone else's story.

Check out my Bionicle short story The Agori and my Ninjago short story The Darkness Within

Also check out my comedy series Adventures of the Bara Magna Sets!

#5 Offline The Dandy Automaton

The Dandy Automaton
  • Premier Member
  • FFM Bionicle Winner

• 8,008 posts

Posted Mar 08 2012 - 04:52 PM

I slam my head into a keyboard, then add some vowels.Nah, I wish it were that simple. Some names I know the kind of sound I want, so add letters to try and achieve it, like I did with Xavor and Zhorya. Thantox and Harmaisis were a little easier, as they were based off of Greek names. Thanatos and Hermes respectively.

shadowofthisredrock.png

Chapter four - Desire

Coming soon!

Short Stories: The Commute ~ Rasinov ~ In Your Absence ~ Hunter's Game ~ Suchia (Coming soon)

Epics: The Best Kept Secrets (Chapter 27: The Shadow Walker coming soon) ~ The Shadow of this Red Rock

#6 Offline Bambi

Bambi
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 5,063 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 08 2012 - 04:53 PM

I just put a bunch of letters together into words and see if any cool names come out of it.

Pretty much this. I don't try to make names too much, though.

#7 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Master of Fragmentation Rampant

• 5,453 posts

Posted Mar 08 2012 - 06:12 PM

I usually stick to canon characters in my written works, but I do make a few of my own. Not sure how I make the names; they just kind of come to me.

#8 Offline QuestionMark

QuestionMark
  • Members
  • Toa

• 155 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 08 2012 - 08:05 PM

There is a feeling for what the tone of the name should be, which then translates into actual sounds and letters. The "tone" is somewhat determined by the personality of the character I'm trying to give the name to, but perhaps only tangentially. I don't make many new characters, though. Tenki is a Matoran name I came up a long time ago and still like; it seems kind of quirky somehow, but at the same time fits nicely into the "sound" of Bionicle.Now, if I'm trying to come up with a name for a human character... forget about it.~QMark
Posted Image

#9 Offline Sumiki

Sumiki
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Hat Enterprises CEO

• 11,264 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Mar 08 2012 - 08:46 PM

I tend to think of "harsh" sounds for villains, I string a few out with vowels, and then move the phonemes around a bit, removing some to shorten the name if need be.As far as good-guy names, I generally just stare at the screen for a few minutes while my brain goes into standby mode.

sdadcomedy.png

#10 Offline Ballom

Ballom
  • Premier Member
  • Great Disks Recovered

• 9,569 posts

Posted Mar 08 2012 - 08:54 PM

Oh, I can usually think of reasonable names simply by combining the general sounds used in Bionicle -- lots of vowels, often consecutive, heavy use of some of the stranger consonants like k, x, z, etc..~B~

sands_banner.jpg

#11 Offline Paleo

Paleo
  • Retired Staff
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 815 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Mar 08 2012 - 11:39 PM

I tend to think of "harsh" sounds for villains, I string a few out with vowels, and then move the phonemes around a bit, removing some to shorten the name if need be.As far as good-guy names, I generally just stare at the screen for a few minutes while my brain goes into standby mode.

That was a great piece of advice.While I'm not that good at thinking up names, I normally draw on rudimentary knowledge of Maori gained from Bionicle, as well as my minor skills in Spanish.

Vote for Entry #2:

News • Forums • Q&A

bzptwitter.jpg bzpflickr.jpg bzpyoutube.jpg bzpfacebook.jpg

in General Discussion Contest 2.22!

#12 Offline christo1096

christo1096
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,818 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2012 - 06:06 AM

Combining some words and add X,Y,Z elements. or using google translate and modify it

#13 Offline You just lost the game

You just lost the game
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 1,340 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2012 - 10:41 AM

When I first started doing stories, I named my Toa after Islands in the Pacific.When I made my villian, I just randomly started throwing in things that sounded cool with "ax" at the end.

Edited by LEGOR, Mar 10 2012 - 10:43 AM.

ron_burgundy.jpg?w=500                

#14 Offline Dralcax

Dralcax
  • Members
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 2,210 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2012 - 04:22 PM

When I made my villian, I just randomly started throwing in things that sounded cool with "ax" at the end.

Dralcax? :P

eW9kyVR.png

#15 Offline Aderia

Aderia
  • Premier Member
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,562 posts

Posted Mar 10 2012 - 06:42 PM

I used to just do the 'random letter assembly' thing, but then the names ended up crazy and I didn't like them in the end.Now I usually look to different languages for inspiration. Usually I use this online translator thingeroo that translates one word into multiple languages. The word usually is some trait of the character, and if I see a word I like, I use it, and sometimes tweak it a bit.Also, for a few stories, I've used flowers for names. One unit in English class a few years ago, we talked about how certain plants and flowers had meanings in Victorian England, and so I googled that, and it came up with a whole list of flowers and what they represented.And then sometimes, I still do throw random letters together, but I keep it simple :)

Edited by Aderia: Toa of Ducklings, Mar 10 2012 - 06:45 PM.

(Irene Adler)

adler7.jpg

The Whip Hand

#16 Offline Legolover-361

Legolover-361
  • Members
  • Stellar Storyteller

• 3,495 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 10 2012 - 06:44 PM

Sometimes I'll use Google Translate to search for inspiration in other languages; other times I'll put random letters together and try to form a cohesive, appropriate-sounding term out of them.

#17 Offline Taka Nuvia

Taka Nuvia
  • Premier Member
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 4,065 posts

Posted Mar 11 2012 - 05:12 AM

I usually come up with them all randomly. As in, I sit around and think "Oh my, I still need a name for that character". Then I wait what comes to my mind, write it all down, and cross out everything I dislike until I end up with a name I like.Sometimes they're just words with different spellings, sometimes randomized names.

takjal_jh.jpg

The captain of the guard has never before been so fabulous!

#18 Offline Daiker

Daiker
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Stone Champion Defeated

• 2,754 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 11 2012 - 11:01 AM

I just smash my head against the keyboard, add some vowels, and I'm done.E: Oh wow, someone else said thatWell I have no specific naming process. For example my name, Daiker, my real name starts with a D, so I wanted my name to sound something like it. In other cases, such as Grax, I just think of them off the top of my head :P

Edited by Daiker, Mar 11 2012 - 11:04 AM.

bionbanner.png

#19 Offline Doctor J. Wotzon

Doctor J. Wotzon
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Crushed

• 4,604 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 11 2012 - 11:14 AM

Well, I use different methods for different names. Sometimes I combine words (Sentinel + Traken = Sentraken), sometimes I base them off real life names (Sofia = Solia) and sometimes I use other languages (Servio = Latin for 'grovel'). On the odd occasion I just throw some letters together and see what comes up (Gutlun), but that is rarely successful.

not a lot of things match my avatar

#20 Offline Cederak

Cederak
  • Axiomatic

• 4,147 posts

Posted Mar 11 2012 - 05:48 PM

The names used to be entirely made up. Just combinations across the keyboard that sounded cool. So I'd get names like Zephaon, Valixia, Landrak, Acerion, etc. As I made more character names though, I started to run out of original ideas, and started coming too close to names I already had. It was at that point when I started using parts of people's first and last names and merging them with other letters. So I ended up with combinations like Endico, Verton, Driagil, etc. Still good names, it just takes a little more thought to come up with them now.-Ced

#21 Offline Nuile the Paracosmic Tulpa

Nuile the Paracosmic Tulpa
  • Members
  • Lunatic Wordsmith

• 1,693 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 14 2012 - 09:43 PM

Various ways. Sometimes I'll take a few words that relate to the character and mash 'em up until I find a combination I like (example: Tyoun, Robert Young), sometimes I pick a word that relates to the character and search for translations until I find one (possibly slightly tweaked) I like (examples: Reise, Seren, Nagaan), sometimes I modify words (example: Veverka, altered from vivacious), sometimes I bash my hand into the keyboard until it produces something I like. That last, I believe, was how I got "Nuile." :P Ironically it takes the Matoran words "Nui" and "Le," which may have actually been how I concocted it. In any case, it translates, roughly, into "air of greatness." ;)

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith :smilemirunu:

Edited by Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith, Mar 14 2012 - 09:48 PM.

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

#22 Offline Peach 00

Peach 00
  • Banned Members
  • Submerged!

• 1,195 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 15 2012 - 09:57 AM

I either put letters together to make a cool sounding name, or take a regular reali-life name and change the lettering of it to make it look/sound more like Bionicle, but still keeping the same pronuonciation, or altering it ever so slightly. For instance: Alicia = Alyssia, but instead it's changed to a cee-a sound. Other times the words are derived from other languages.
On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground
And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground
Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained
And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away
And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands
Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in
I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

#23 Offline TheSkeletonMan939

TheSkeletonMan939
  • Emerging Mata Nuian Protector

• 1,628 posts

Posted Mar 15 2012 - 07:56 PM

I'm lamer and less creative than you guys. I just put the character's personality into Google Translate and translate to Latin. For example, a good guy Skrall in an epic I'm working on has the name "Amicus" - Latin for "friend".

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939, Mar 15 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#24 Offline Lewigi

Lewigi
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Senior Staff

• 3,432 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Mar 15 2012 - 09:32 PM

I haven't written much, at least not much fiction. (The one fanfic I ever started stalled and probably will remain that way permanently). The characters there were scrables of letters that to me sounded BIONICLEish. Except for one. He was an RPG character.My RPG characters (like the aforementioned one, Akla) typically are slightly altered versions of various words. Akla's name was based off of a Star Wars character, and others were altered words of foriegn languages, usually only keeping the same vowels.Codenames are easier. All you need is a seldom-used word or blend of words based off of that character's personality or abilities.Even so, I generally stick to nonfiction writing.

#25 Offline Astrotorical

Astrotorical
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 254 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 15 2012 - 11:21 PM

Names that sound like they would fit in bionicle. Names that sound Maori. or like they fit the same specieslike my RPG character. I started with Tohu (as in Hapori Tohu). went to Kohu. sounded like a canon name, changed to Krohu. the endor a SkakdiiBy looking at the other names, you can base what the species looks for in names. such as Haktann, Nektann and Zaktann. 'N', 'K' and 'T' appear to frequent. shove in some short 1 sylable, 3 letter starter and you can get Roktann, Nokk, and Tridakthats basically how i do it. I have my own little system

axonn, trying to excape my signaturePosted Image

#26 Offline MrSciFiGuy

MrSciFiGuy
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,697 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 16 2012 - 01:47 AM

I have a document where I put names I create from time to time and then use them if I like them, so in the end I just make them up.

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

#27 Offline Akuna Toa of Sonics

Akuna Toa of Sonics
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 2,959 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 16 2012 - 09:35 PM

I have no clue.In my comics, I named myself Akuna, which was also my screen name(I was Toa of Supersonics but quickly changed it, and has not changed since).The 3 other main characters are Martin, Vahi Matoran, and Daku Nuva. Just names that were off the top of my head.

webmaster.png

#28 Offline ~Allegretto~

~Allegretto~
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 2,350 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2012 - 08:37 AM

I normally translate the character's element/an element of the character into Maori and mess around with it. Works pretty well, except for that one time I got katoatoa by translating something related to plasma...

Posted Image

#29 Offline Makuta Matata

Makuta Matata
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 1,365 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2012 - 08:50 AM

Look in a word search for letters that form an oddly nice word.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

#30 Offline Riglax

Riglax
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Agent of the Free

• 2,766 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2012 - 11:14 AM

It's usually part of my character; if he's an aggressive, more open-ended character, his name will either be a translation of a word in some other language, or made up to be offensive. If he's a laid back kind of guy, his name will be much more coherent and will sound more defensive.

BZPRPG Profiles | Dersite Wonderland

KanohiJournal is back as a publishing entity of fan-based Bionicle projects by Mata Nui Inc and Plast! Productions.

Posted Image

Ancient Chronicle | Solis Magna and Solar System | Worldscape

(click the links above for more information on our projects)

#31 Offline badabababa obesity

badabababa obesity
  • Members
  • Fragmentation Mended

• 6,680 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2012 - 11:16 AM

I buy a scrabble set, take all the letters out, and make them fight to the death. The last ones alive get used.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

#32 Offline Jinkmeister

Jinkmeister
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 919 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 20 2012 - 08:43 PM

I open Google translate, type in a relevant word, and try every language. If I don't find one that sounds cool, I make one up. I have a long list of creative names I've gotten from reCaptcha on various websites. Excellent reference.But seriously, to make up a name, I just say gibberish (alone, of course). Just add or remove letters/syllables as necessary. Maybe that'd work for you? Another idea is to name them something out of the dictionary, such as C.S. Lewis' Dr. Ransom character in the Space Trilogy. Any old word can sound like an awesome name. Just experiment, you'll know when you've got it!

#33 Offline Tavakai

Tavakai
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,886 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 21 2012 - 01:15 AM

Naming is my greatest weakness in writing. I'm awful at it most of the time. Other than naming my Makuta Vitriax, I haven't really done much to be proud of.As for Vitriax, I just combined vitriol (sulfuric acid) with the Makuta suffix -ax.I usually try really hard to look through the dictionary and the thesaurus even if I'm not successful, though.

button.png

#34 Offline Kragghle

Kragghle
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,079 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 21 2012 - 08:54 PM

:kaukau: It depends on whether you're talking about COT fiction of Bionicle fiction. I've rarely ever written Bionicle fiction, but whenever I did and ended up using fictional names I just went with whatever sounded good, and preferably something that matched the sounds of the 2001-2003 era. I tried to make them distinct and easy to pronounce as well.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

Posted Image
Will you give all you can give so that our banner may advance?

Profiles

#35 Offline Guurahk Entertainer

Guurahk Entertainer
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 506 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 27 2012 - 09:34 AM

Just write random stuff til you get something, pronouncble

-G u u R a h K

#36 Offline Velox

Velox
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Bibliophilic Littérateur & Senior Staff

• 11,831 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Mar 27 2012 - 06:24 PM

A lot of times I'll just ask other people. =P Or I'll use Latin or some other language, or just fiddle around with letters/names until I like something, but I haven't created a Bionicle name in a while. I remember Nuju Metru and I used to create names together for the BZPRPG and an epic we were planning by just typing out random possible names until something sounded slightly okay, then working with that until it got to what we wanted. Posted Image

Edited by Velox, Mar 27 2012 - 06:25 PM.

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

#37 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Perpetual Master of Reference

• 19,053 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Mar 27 2012 - 08:14 PM

Wiktionary. I pick a word related somehow to the character I've invented, look up its translations on that site, and if I like the sound of any of them, I modify it enough that it's not immediately recognizeable (but not always), and then I google it, modify as necessary, usually, until it gets zero results. :)Not always that method but I find it to be the best if I don't randomly come up with a good one off the bat.

#38 Offline The Duchess Approves

The Duchess Approves
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Illusory Instigator

• 1,357 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 30 2012 - 11:41 AM

I. Don't. Even. Know.I have characters named Tetak, Laza, Tekulo and I still have no clue where I got those words from. @_@I think I may have started with a word and then just played with syllables a bunch, keeping in mind what Bionicle names already show? Maybe I just played with a bunch of random syllables without a root word and then just spawned these strange alien names.

#39 Offline Rarity

Rarity
  • Banned Members
  • Language of the Past

• 8,133 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 30 2012 - 10:58 PM

This.

#40 Offline VeoiTheRascal

VeoiTheRascal
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 84 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 31 2012 - 03:10 PM

AS some one said above, I have a word doc. dedicated to my bionicle names. Often times, I'll be playing around with sounds until I mumble something decent. Other times the names will tumble out of my head unprompted and need to be put down. Occasionally I'll be quite taken with a name's rhythm, such as Ananssi, which my mimicking attempts will produce Zusenti.--VeOi ThE rAsCaL

Edited by VeoiTheRascal, Mar 31 2012 - 03:11 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users